Why Was The Skylift Removed?

Scooter

My wife and I never rode the Skyway because the lines were always too long.:(

We always figgured that by the time we got on the ride, we could have walked to the other side of the park faster.

I think Disney shut down the ride because it was such a slow-loading ride.

MrPromey

None of these reasons are correct…

The skyway was removed because of those personal walkie-talkies you see people carrying around that have like a two mile radius on them. You see, Disney uses radio signals for a lot of things. They have all those people running around like part of the Disney secret service with little walkie-talkie ear pieces. They also use them to control the music patterns during the parades and on some of the rides not to mention those nifty light-up pins. When people were on the Skyway talking through their little walkie-talkies there would be big problems. Ever had the haunted mansion stop while you were riding? That’s why. Same reason for Dreamflight/Spaceranger spin as well as Peter Pan. You see, these things have a good range on them to begin with but at that height, they act like an antenna over the park disrupting all kinds of stuff. I can’t even begin to guess how many people’s magical moments were ruined at the “Remember the Magic” parades when floats had the wrong music playing around them because mom and the kids wanted to know where to meet dad for a late lunch and I can’t even begin to guess at all the super secret stuff that cast members missed out on when their walkie-talkies started garbling under the radio interference.

Actually, it’s because of this interference that they have begun modifying or replacing the icons in all of the parks. You’ll notice that the changes to both the central park icons at Epcot and MGM are taller than the originals. That’s so that they can act as antenna to transmit radio signals from a high central location throughout the parks just like the castle at MK… That’s why the hat isn’t going away after the 100 year celebration, in case anyone was wondering.

For whatever the reason the demise of the skyway was very sad. It was a cool ride and gave breathtaking views of the park especially at dusk! Too bad it's gone now!

Although many suspect that the reason was for safety? How then can we have roller coasters? What happens if they breakdown and someone is in the middle of a loop at RR or at top of SM? Boy I guess we should close them down too for safety reasons because it would be too difficult to get to people in such a situation. :veryconfu

Erika

Fantasyland from the Skyway- Sept 1998:

Attachments

• wdwskywayfantasyland.jpg
    wdwskywayfantasyland.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 163

Worldphile

Originally posted by MrPromey
Hmm… I don’t know weather I’m disappointed or impressed that nobody dignified my post with a response. ;)

(With apologies to REM)

"What's the frequency, Mr. P?"

Seriously though, those things work in pretty narrow band. WDW could just move to some other frequency.

Although, I've always wanted to sit in front of the Castle with my laptop running a wireless sniffer just to see what I could see.

Luckily, my wife makes me keep my geek-like tendencies in check while we're at WDW.

Monorail Lime

Where did you hear that MrPromey? I'm not usually one to be disagreeable, but that sounds like a big load of bunk to me. The frequencies of the VHF Radios used by WDW are no where close to the frequencies used by an el cheapo Radio Shack walkie talkie. If there was potential for interference they never would have made it to the market in the first place because the same band is used for railroad communications.

Haunted Mansion and the other rides you mentioned use a connected ride system that has no need for radio communications during operation. If you said Test Track could be disrupted it might be believable since it constantly collects data on all the cars but Haunted Mansion? C'mon, it's totally 60s technology!

MrPromey

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
Where did you hear that MrPromey? I'm not usually one to be disagreeable, but that sounds like a big load of bunk to me. The frequencies of the VHF Radios used by WDW are no where close to the frequencies used by an el cheapo Radio Shack walkie talkie. If there was potential for interference they never would have made it to the market in the first place because the same band is used for railroad communications.

Haunted Mansion and the other rides you mentioned use a connected ride system that has no need for radio communications during operation. If you said Test Track could be disrupted it might be believable since it constantly collects data on all the cars but Haunted Mansion? C'mon, it's totally 60s technology!

Apparently, I spoke too soon! ;) Guess that I should have waited a little longer. It was a joke, Lime. I made the whole thing up all by my little self. :D

Everyone else was posting what they had “heard” was the reason for it closing so I thought I’d throw an idea of my own in there… Actually, any observant non-cast member who has been in the last couple years would notice that these rides still stop even with the Skyway gone… We all know that the real reason they seem to break down so often is because of the electrical interfearance caused by the rotation of the wheels on wheelchairs. It’s weird but they seem to cause some sort of problem with the electrical system in these kinds of rides. Anytime you see a few wheelchairs near one of these rides it’s almost a sure bet that it’s going to “break down” momentarily while you’re on it! Now don’t try to dispel that fact. What other reason could wheelchairs have for stopping these rides? :D

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by MrPromey

Apparently, I spoke too soon! ;) Guess that I should have waited a little longer. It was a joke, Lime. I made the whole thing up all by my little self. :D

Ya know.... I was starting to believe you cause you are "MrP"... :lol: ..

... but then I was thinking that a "Motorola talkabout" maybe puts out 0.5 or 1 watt... tops...but they are on totally different frequencies compared to a Professional, possibly, secured trunked freq. which is what most Municipalities , EMS, police, fire, and I assume Disney uses :)

Well, now I know not to believe you anymore ;)

MrPromey

Originally posted by DMC-12

Ya know.... I was starting to believe you cause you are "MrP"... :lol: ..

... but then I was thinking that a "Motorola talkabout" maybe puts out 0.5 or 1 watt... tops...but they are on totally different frequencies compared to a Professional, possibly, secured trunked freq. which is what most Municipalities , EMS, police, fire, and I assume Disney uses :)

Well, now I know not to believe you anymore ;)

Hey, I’m right till proven wrong! :p

I know you know that I know everything but I occasionally play around and on very, very rare occasions I slip up and ‘forget’ things… Take a look at the crock thread. I’ve lived in Florida pretty much all my life, been in the neighborhood of the glades at least two dozen times (I used to know people who owned airboats – it seems like a hick thing to do but if you’ve ever been on a real one – not those tourist ones they squeeze 15 people into – you know what I’m talking about! :D ) and I’ve never ever heard of or seen a crock. I flatly said that they weren’t a natural part of this state and managed to show one of my most flattering sides :)rolleyes: )… Now that I think about it I’ve never seen a Florida Panther either. I’m pretty sure that they are NOT indigenous to Florida! :D

jmarc63

The issue about the radio interference with Attractions and the other reasons are total bunk. Thoes radios that you get from walmart and radio shack run in the "FRS (Family Radio Services) Band" they are a re-classified band of radio frequencies set aside by the FCC specifically for family and recreational use. No other communications band can use thoes frequencies according to the FCC.

In 1996 the FCC issued a new set of 14 frequencies for FRS. Like CB radios, units using these channels don't require a license and can be operated by anyone.

Below is the list of Frequencies for FRS Radios

Channel No. (MHz)

With a company the size of Disney, they Have there own private Frequencies licenced from the FCC dedicated to them only and are not using thoes frequencies, also the FCC regulates the frequencies that all RF devices use so as not to interfer with medical devices such as pacemakers. So based on the FCC rules I dont think that the attractions stopping is from that.

I think the real reason the Skyway was removed was more along the lines as the total cost for maintenance and other incendental costs like insurance, ETC,

MrPromey

Originally posted by jmarc63
The issue about the radio interference with Attractions and the other reasons are total bunk. Thoes radios that you get from walmart and radio shack run in the "FRS (Family Radio Services) Band" they are a re-classified band of radio frequencies set aside by the FCC specifically for family and recreational use. No other communications band can use thoes frequencies according to the FCC.

In 1996 the FCC issued a new set of 14 frequencies for FRS. Like CB radios, units using these channels don't require a license and can be operated by anyone.

Below is the list of Frequencies for FRS Radios

Channel No. (MHz)

With a company the size of Disney, they Have there own private Frequencies licenced from the FCC dedicated to them only and are not using thoes frequencies, also the FCC regulates the frequencies that all RF devices use so as not to interfer with medical devices such as pacemakers. So based on the FCC rules I dont think that the attractions stopping is from that.

I think the real reason the Skyway was removed was more along the lines as the total cost for maintenance and other incendental costs like insurance, ETC,

You guys are no fun at all! :p

Dr Albert Falls

I cannot believe the misleading information on this board!!!

I am a former Disneyland Skyway operator who was there when that attraction closed.

The state license for operating an aerial tramway was expiring in November 1995 (there was a sticker on the Skyway console saying such).

In order to re-new the license, the state required Disneyland to make the attraction handicap accessible per ADA regulations.

Considering the attraction's medocre popularity, Disney opted against costly renovations and closed the Skyway. The attraction's maintenence and labor budget was transferred to the soon-to-open Indiana Jones Adventure.

In terms of labor costs vs. ride capacity, The Skyway was among the park's least cost-efficient attractions (It took 8-12 operators to run at any given time, with ridership in the low hundreds, if I recall correctly.) That data is rivaled only by The Submarine Voyage. Note the fate of that attraction today.

The widely-publicized Skyway death and injury did NOT lead to closure (Skyway was among the safest attractions--- industry experts say Indiana Jones is among the most litigious.)

My assumption is that, once the savings were tallied, WDW followed DL's lead and closed the Skyway (just as DL followed WDW's lead with the subs).

RobFL

Account Suspended
A thought..

The Magic Moment pins function off of IR light, just like the Handheld Captioning Devices.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom