Why the hate for TSMM?

Matt7187

Original Poster
It seems that on these forums there is a generally negative attitude towards toy story midway mania. I know it is just screens that you shoot at, but to my family it is really fun! Could you guys tell me what you don't like about it so I can know

I_heart_Tigger

Ok, let me put it another way. I don't find shooting at screens very immersove, I find it dull. It's Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin all over again and to take the exact same movie and create the same ride is boring and lazy. Whoop-de-doo, it's in 3D. Big deal. 3D is an old overused technology that is less impressive the more it's used.

I don't feel like I'm involved in the attraction. I feel more involved on rides like HM where I am doing nothing but sitting. They could have taken the characters and plot and created a major storyline for an attraction. The queue is the most entertaining part of the ride but even it gets old when you stand in it for 90 minutes because all the FP's were gone 8 minutes after the park opened.

stevehousse

Our family loves the ride as well but I will say, how much cooler the ride would be if u really did go room to room and shoot at real things like on buzz. The video screens make the ride seem like a cop out compared to what it could really be! Again we do like the ride as is, but I do think it could have been better!

Donald96

I've decided to make my own version of TSMM at home. I am going to set up 6 TVs in my home hooked up to Nintendo WII and have my wife push me around in a desk chair.

And to think, I was going to fly to Florida...

BTW, don't they even make a TSMM game for the WII? :)
Yep, have it; it comes with 3-D glasses and everything but I try not to play it so it keeps the ride interesting :cool:

FettFan

Ok, let me put it another way. I don't find shooting at screens very immersove, I find it dull. It's Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin all over again and to take the exact same movie and create the same ride is boring and lazy. Whoop-de-doo, it's in 3D. Big deal. 3D is an old overused technology that is less impressive the more it's used.

"Like, ya know, Pirates of the Caribbean. ****, that's been in 3D for forty years!" - Harry S. Plinkett's Avatar review.

EDIT -- I also will venture to guess its the ride system in itself and the fact that the ride system means with its constant stops in front of each screen means 60+ minute queues even when the ride has been open four years....

I_heart_Tigger

When you look at the movie plot it could have been an exciting attraction. Being the size of a toy and navigating the big world out there. Getting to do the "flying" at the end with Buzz, car chases, bad kids who like to blow up things, really scary looking frankentoys...but nooooooo lets shoot at screens with stupid looking glasses on.

javy2004

honestly, potato head is the coolest thing about the attraction. In DCA, he singled me out about something super specific (wearing my backpack up in front of me) and for some reason it damn near made my day. I appreciate the technology behind making an attraction like that possible, but I can totally understand someone being disappointed to what could have been. It's like seeing a movie where everything is simulated thought CGI and then seeing a movie where what you see in the film physically took place (i.e. seeing that 18 wheeler do that crazy flip in the dark knight is far more impressive to me than seeing autobots and decepticons wrestle with each other in slow motion in any of the transformers films). Something that'd make it more interesting (if they can figure out how to do it) is having more games to play and have the sequence and actual games you play be a mystery everytime, or would idea seem like its borrowing too much form ST?

sweetpee_1993

Yep. We can play video games at home. Yes, we even have the TSMM Wii game. Why race the herd at rope drop or stand in a 90+ minute line to do something we can pretty much do at home? That's kinda a waste. I like the theming in Pixar Place more than that particular attraction.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Yep. We can play video games at home. Yes, we even have the TSMM Wii game. Why race the herd at rope drop or stand in a 90+ minute line to do something we can pretty much do at home? That's kinda a waste. I like the theming in Pixar Place more than that particular attraction.

Yep play it over and over at home with no wait! Don't see the point in doing something there that I can at home.... Other than sleep.

Chrononymous

I guess I'm weird too. I LOVE this attraction. I first fell in love during the soft opening, where I spent all day riding it (until my wrist got really sore.)

I suppose it's because I really don't have any video game system at home. And even if I did it wouldn't be quite the same anyway. I love the 3D effects, I think the design is really clever, and even though I have lousy aim, I still come off this ride feeling accomplished (unlike Buzz, where there is no obvious consequence that I actually hit anything.)
I'm also the weirdo that loves Disneyquest too...so I guess it's no surprised that this is one of my favorite things at the Studios.

Frank Rizzo

I really enjoy the ride and experience as a whole, as the Que. is definitely one of the best in the World. I just went on with my mom about a week ago, and had truly an awesome couple of minutes. Pixar Place is also an amazingly themed area which always makes me bring the camera out, to take the same pictures I know I took two years ago, and the same ones I will take again next time I go. We could go from attraction to attraction and probably find something wrong or not perfect about each one, however I don't like to do that as to me Disney is just about perfect, from the rides to the food. And lets just remember that people generally love disney for the whole experience, and not just for a true thrill ride, like more of the people at Universal.

BryceM

I like TSMM. I just much prefer Universal's Men in Black: Alien Attack with it's awesome queue and detailed sets/animatronics.

I do much prefer TSMM over Buzz Lightyear...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom