Why on earth are strollers so expensive to rent?

maggiegrace1

I hate them :D:D:D:D
free-smile-300x299.png

I know that..but if you do not use them people will not know whether you are joking, serious, sad, happy..whatever.

It is not like we can see your face and know what you mean...smilies display emotions for people on forums like this...:shrug:

So, USE them!.....:fork:

:D:lol::wave:

NewfieFan

Yes, I agree the rentals are expensive... and I myself have never rented their strollers - I would rather have my own!

I look at a stroller as part of my vacation expense. I went out and bought two strollers just for my trips to Disney. Now, I did this when the kids were much younger and I've got my money's worth out of them. I can understand why you wouldn't want to purchase a stroller for your 4 year old, though!

I wouldn't recommend an umbrella stroller. On our first trip my son was only three and the umbrella stroller was horrible. He's not a tall boy at all but his feet pressing down on the rubber foot rest caused it to touch the wheels making it impossible to push. I'm thinking the heat at the time didn't help and caused the rubber foot rest to stretch, maybe!?!

Another option is buying a stroller and then selling it after your trip. Even if your sold your stroller for half of what you paid for it, it would be less than a rental!

There's other stroller rentals as well besides for Disney (I don't know how their prices compare to Disney, though)...

http://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/

http://www.magicstrollers.com/index.cfm

Btw, I loved the Combi Flare for my 4 year old son and I'm still using it for my daughter who just turned 4!

http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Flare-Lightweight-Stroller-Chili/dp/B000XUZ2NC

It's expensive but an amazing stroller at Disney!

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
Yes, I agree the rentals are expensive... and I myself have never rented their strollers - I would rather have my own!

I look at a stroller as part of my vacation expense. I went out and bought two strollers just for my trips to Disney. Now, I did this when the kids were much younger and I've got my money's worth out of them. I can understand why you wouldn't want to purchase a stroller for your 4 year old, though!

Btw, I loved the Combi Flare for my 4 year old son and I'm still using it for my daughter who just turned 4!

It's expensive but an amazing stroller at Disney![/QUOTE

Sigh! This was the kind we had and I loved it too. But it is now with the rest of the water logged items of RI, in some landfill :(. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do since I am not a fan of the cheap umbrella strollers that cost $20 or so, they just aren't the kind of thing that hold up well for all day use. I'll have to take a look at the rental companies outside of Disney and decide what I'm going to do. Thanks everyone!

Phonedave

I don't know much about them but there are services out there that will rent you a stroller, drop it off at your hotel and let you keep it for the duration of your trip for cheaper than the per day rate at the parks. It might be an alternative to buying one.

My sister-in-law is doing this for my one year old nephew when we all go down in October.

A little late to help the OP, but it is something I never though of with my kids. (brought a stroller the first trip with kids, and then by the second we would rent once or twice mainly on long days, but for the most part my kids were walking)

-dave

Eyorefan

It's expensive but an amazing stroller at Disney![/QUOTE

Sigh! This was the kind we had and I loved it too. But it is now with the rest of the water logged items of RI, in some landfill :(. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do since I am not a fan of the cheap umbrella strollers that cost $20 or so, they just aren't the kind of thing that hold up well for all day use. I'll have to take a look at the rental companies outside of Disney and decide what I'm going to do. Thanks everyone!

If I were you I would buy the $40 stroller that Disney sells. It looks nice and strudy, unlike your typical cheapo umbrella stroller, but it folds up nicely.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Strollers are more expensive to rent as they are now constructed out of titanium alloys to be able to carry the squads of overweight spoiled brats and the associated support equipment they need, allegedly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How do you prevent your stroller from being stolen or is this a problem? Use a bike lock on the wheels?
It is not really a problem. Most case of stroller "theft" are cases of mistaken identity as they do all look alike. I have about 50 +/- trips with a stroller under my belt and have not had a single thing go missing.

kch4095

We always rent a stroller when we are there. You get a discount when you rent for several days at a time, so that cuts down on the expense greatly. The Disney strollers are wonderful...easy to push and great for holding all the family junk. I know people fuss about it, but when you are traveling with kids, it's just easier to use the stroller and cut down on some of the walking so that you can get to more attractions. Some of us have to pack it all in within 5-6 day stay, not 2-3 weeks at a time.

marcriss

I agree about the combi flare. It's much easier to have your own than rent one. The costs are crazy and then you have to wait in line to get rid of them, and usually that's when you need it the most. Look for online for a good deal or for coupons. Then you could sell it on Craigs List when you're done.

Tinkermommy

I would like to see the price increased to 30 then maybe there would be less strollers in the park :lookaroun

True, but then you would have even more kids having meltdowns and tantrums because they are so tired from walking. What would be really helpful is to have strollers with sensors on the front so they start beeping when you get too close to the person in front of you. I always use strollers for our kids, but have still been the victim of having a stroller jammed into the back of my foot by a person not watching the road in front of him and it HURT! (We also saw a fight break out over a similar experience at DL last Christmas. Not good.)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Where do they sell the strollers at WDW? Can you get them at the resorts, or do you have to pick one up in the parks?
I know they have them at the stroller rental locations at the parks. I do not remember seeing them at the resorts but I was not exactly looking for them there either.

dsollie

We always rent a stroller when we are there. You get a discount when you rent for several days at a time, so that cuts down on the expense greatly. The Disney strollers are wonderful...easy to push and great for holding all the family junk. I know people fuss about it, but when you are traveling with kids, it's just easier to use the stroller and cut down on some of the walking so that you can get to more attractions. Some of us have to pack it all in within 5-6 day stay, not 2-3 weeks at a time.

I agree, their strollers are pretty easy to use. Another benefit to using the Disney strollers: you do not have to carry your stroller with you on all forms of transportation. If you decide to parkhop, you just pick up a new stroller at the new park. Or, when travelling inside of Magic Kingdom on the train, you leave your stroller at the station and pick up a new one at your next stop.

chenzo

We have a 4 and 6 year old and they get around just fine. We will rent one if we are going to a park for the full day. The kids will take turnes taking breaks, it helps by end of the day. We use it to put all our stuff in, backpacks toys ect., never had anything stolen. If you bring one with you, you have to take it with you everywhere, car, airport, plain, hotel room, and then the bus. Please learn how to fold it up before you go. At the end of the day, when everyone is tired and cranky, they will riot if someone takes longer then 5 sec to get on the bus.

NewfieFan

Where do they sell the strollers at WDW? Can you get them at the resorts, or do you have to pick one up in the parks?

I know they have them at the stroller rental locations at the parks. I do not remember seeing them at the resorts but I was not exactly looking for them there either.

Yes, they're sold at resort gift shops. And if you don't see them... just ask. They usually only put out a couple at a time and sometimes they sell out before they get a chance to restock them.

todai

Anyone actually bought a Disney stroller?

Yes, they're sold at resort gift shops. And if you don't see them... just ask. They usually only put out a couple at a time and sometimes they sell out before they get a chance to restock them.

I'm just wondering because our 3 yr old is quite tall. A cheap stroller will be murder for us to push her in.
:shrug:

forevermickey

My daughter is 4 1/2, normal active little girl, loves to run and play, BUT loves her carriage, my Graco just busted and I was not about to rent one for 7 days at Disney. It gets crowded, she gets tired, hot, we are hot,..... carrying a sweaty hot child when you are sweaty and hot is not fun. She can take a break and sit relax and have a snack or pass out for a quick snooze..... and I can store my bags and drink, I love my carriage, and Jet Blue loads them for free. I don't have to worry about other people's germs and dirt from a rental (yuck, sorry I'm a little germaphobic) Needless to say I just got a great deal and purchased a new carriage, (chicco for a little more than $100.00 and I am in heaven) It was worth it for me and my sanity!:)

Mammymouse

To stroller or not to stroller? I say yes to stroller. Our granddaughter is 6 but we always take a stroller because the peace of mind we get when she gets tired is well worth it. Even though we are FL residents and go frequently (72 miles away) we still like to do a lot of stuff when we are there, even if it is a day trip, which can be a lot on a little one. Also we usually carry our rain ponchos and travel umbrellas and/or sweatshirts (depending on the season) just in case, so the stroller carries all that for us too. It also has cup holders. Her stroller has started to fall apart now so we question whether to buy a new one when it dies because Disney is the only place we use it, but we probably will get another for the convenience factor, plus she is still a little peanut and still fits into it. And then there is that germ thing too about a rental.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom