Why keep Indy Speedway?

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Ok, so I'm bracing myself for all the responses here, but really, why keep the Indy Speedway(raceway?)? It takes up a lot of land that could be used for other things. It is by far one of the most un-environmentally friendly attractions in the whole of Disney World. Plus, it really isn't that much fun compared to their other attractions. I know how a lot of people are major defenders of the old things in WDW, but all this old stuff is catching up to Disney. That's why they were forced to do Fantasyland and put more stuff in hollywood studios. The same will probably have to happen for EPCOT soon, and Animal Kingdom pretty much ran out of money when being made (refer to beastly kingdom). Disney needs to keep adding stuff, even if they need to sacrifice some older stuff (don't even get me started on what they need to do to Tomorrow Land). So what does everyone else think about this?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because it is very popular, attracts a lot of kids and famlies... basically everything people have said before when this has been asked.

Hot4Hudgens

I've never really given this one thought, but now that you bring up the idea? Yeah, I can't say I'd be opposed. That is a good chunk of land that could be put to greater use in the future, be it in a similar Cars-type theme or something brand new altogether. It wouldn't be the first (or last) time that Disney scraps a favorite. Sure, I'd be more for the idea of ridding MK of something like SGE, but if it's going to be a major upgrade compared to the Speedway? All for it.

Spike-in-Berlin

One of the most outdated and obsolete attractions, i didn't even do it as a kid. I never really understood what mini-cars driving through a garden with nearly no theming at all at 6 mph have to do with TOMORROWland. Where is the futurism in this ride, the track is boring and consumes area that could be used for much better attractions. In 1955 it may have been an interesting ride. Today it is a huge waste of space and annoying too, due to the noise and smell of fumes.
I heard that some people would find it a good idea if it would be plussed to a Cars-attraction similar to future Cars lands Radiator Spring Racers. But that is not futuristic either.
I would appreciate a removal of the ride. Tomorrowland is already troubled enough with MILF (again, where is the futurism) and SGE.

MILF and SGE may be worse overall attractions, but they take up very little space. It'd be nice to MILF replaced with a more worthwhile show but I honestly have no idea what they could put in the place of SGE that doesn't use the same ride system which to me is one reason AE was a terrible attraction in the first place.

I would think the speedway would be costly to operate?

DrummerAlly

MILF and SGE may be worse overall attractions, but they take up very little space. It'd be nice to MILF replaced with a more worthwhile show but I honestly have no idea what they could put in the place of SGE that doesn't use the same ride system which to me is one reason AE was a terrible attraction in the first place.

I would think the speedway would be costly to operate?

Whoa there.... SGE is clearly an unpopular attraction but the laugh floor? Really? This is easily one of our favorite attractions in the MK. It's funny, it's always a little different, it pleases the adults and the kids alike, and best of all, its a long air conditioned show. It and SGE fit into tommowland because they are themed about monsters interacting with humans which doesnt happen in my daily life, but if i were to believe Disney it just may in the future.

Onto the speedway - in an ideal world this would be replaced with a better or newer attraction that still pulled in the kids and adults, but the speedway is clearly still popular and fun for many guests. I would love to see it plussed, but its okay as is right now. It doesn't please adults without kids, but it shouldn't be removed just for that reason.

MaryJaneP

It may be poorly located as it does not appear to belong in Tomorrowland, but given all the NASCAR fans in this country, maybe Fantasyland or Adventureland would be a more approriate venue. However, there does not appear to be enough real estate anywhere else in the park to hold such an expansive attraction. It is always jammed, with long lines, so enough people seem to enjoy it. Overall, I would not change it at all and just live with it.

wdwfan4ver

The only reason to keep Tomorrowland Speedway is how big the crowds are for that ride. Its been that way from Indy Speedway from decade to decade. It is caused by kids wanting to drive a vehicle, being fascinated be cars and it has been that way for a very long time.

As long as kids are still into cars, Tomorrowland Speedway is going to be very popular. That is not caused by Nascar as much as people think. Tomorrowland Speedway has been very popular even before Nascar really got popular outside of the south back in the 1990's.

You can't really have Tomorrowland Speedway down to make the cars environmental friendly because of how many people go to the attraction.

Mammymouse

Why are you saying it is the most un-environmentally friendly attraction at Disney? There is no building there to have to air-condition or light up for guests. And the newer attractions like the Laugh Floor use lots more electricity to power their building and all the computer stuff/screen (which I just can't get into) that IS the attraction. I guess I'm old fashioned but the real things I can see and touch, not just imagine, are my favoriites.

wdwfan4ver

Which begs the question of "Why ask again?"

It is the same reason why Matchbox Cars, Micro Machines, Hot Wheels, radio controlled cars, and racing video games are still being sold in stores.

Kids love cars from one generations to another plan and simple because their parents drive or got introduced to cars by playing with toy cars.

You might as well blame the popularity of Tomorrowland Speedway on parents, video game developers, and toy markers.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is the same reason why Matchbox Cars, Micro Machines, Hot Wheels, radio controlled cars, and racing video games are still being sold in stores.

Kids love cars from one generations to another plan and simple because their parents drive or got introduced to cars by playing with toy cars.

You might as well blame the popularity of Tomorrowland Speedway on parents, video game developers, and toy markers.

I think he meant why ask this question again on the boards since it crops up every few months.

wolf359

I think it is important to remember that driving a car by yourself is futuristic for some people. Namely, the age-group for which this ride is intended.

Sure, it is large, noisy, and smelly, and obviously driving a car doesn't hold quite the same thrill as it once did, I'm okay with the notion that every single attraction in the Magic Kingdom doesn't have to suit my taste in order to earn its place or justify its existence. People enjoy it, and that's good enough for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom