Why is Stitch's Great Escape still there?

aladdin2007

Just goes to show that without a good show and script a great technical attraction doesn't always work.

Shoehorning it into an existing facility as a knee jerk reaction doesn't help either.

same at Norway now. Maybe one day they will go a different better route for a change.

Prog

I either rode this in '07 or '08. That means I was nine or ten and I also grew up with the Lilo and Stitch franchise. I remember it being my least favorite attraction and I don't even remember the restraints or smell (I held my breath). I just remember it being really stupid and boring, something that my mother and I recommend omitting to this day.
And yes, Tomorrowland has lost focus but I'm not too concerned about that.

Brer Panther

Personally, I believe that the only reason Stitch's Great Escape is still there is because the park managers love it so much. Seriously, look at how much promotion it got. Stitch was plastered on monorails, there was a stage show at the castle, there were signs all over the park... Name one other ride to get that much.

Matt_Black

Personally, I believe that the only reason Stitch's Great Escape is still there is because the park managers love it so much. Seriously, look at how much promotion it got. Stitch was plastered on monorails, there was a stage show at the castle, there were signs all over the park... Name one other ride to get that much.

Remember, it was made at the studios in Florida, and it was a hit, so quite naturally there'd be a bit of pride.

Magenta Panther

Not necessarily that people don't like change; if it was a substantial improvement over what came before, there would be no problem. At best, Stitch was a lateral change; while certainly the animatronic is quite detailed and advanced, the story is very simple. It cuts out a lot of the heart and soul from the film it's based on and instead relies on cheap, uninspired humor. Also, the attraction quite literally stinks; a Walt Disney World attraction should absolutely have a more pleasant odor than your average subway car.

And it shouldn't make little kids cry. It's an awful attraction. I can't imagine why it hasn't been redone, at least script-wise.

Goofyernmost

Disney has no time for little things like that. They're too busy on avatar land, star wars land,ANOTHER toy story attraction (jeez how many more of these toy story rides?) and a frozen ride. Stitch has been in the park longer than the alien encounters life span, and its safe to say it'll be there even longer. But who knows? Walt always said his parks are never finished.
Walt also used to scare the pants of every kid that every watched any of his movies. Every story needed a scary or sad spot so that they could have a happy ending and we could all leave feeling good. He had a way of letting us know that not all things are sweet and creamy, but, they can end OK. Seems to me that the witch in Snow White got many a kid to cry from fear. We all survived.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

Wasn't SGE the first Stitch-themed attraction for Disney? Perhaps the execs wanted to push that and ride on the character's popularity at the time. There are attractions much more deserving of that level of advertisement, but all are pushed heavily.

mergatroid

The ride everyone hates, that I am so glad I did not go on, I am asking why do you all suppose it is still there? There had to be plenty of complaints, but I have one theory as to why:

Corporations do not like to be told what to do by anyone, whether a guest, customers, the government, anyone. Disney "eats a lot of crow" when they make guests happy, even though they are supposed to be in the "happy people" business. Keeping Stiches Great Escape is their way of saying "we are a big company and no one tells us what to do and it is our business and if we want to keep something people hate we will" This is even though because it takes power and CMs to run Stitch, a blank space would be less money.

Since a lot of companies are like this (GM and Sears are examples) do you all think Disney is like that too?

So you hate a ride you've not experienced based purely on other people's opinions :banghead:

orlando678-

I love stitchs great escape. Stitch is my favorite character. But i do agree that the ride needs something new to really exite people.

Goofyernmost

The ride everyone hates, that I am so glad I did not go on, I am asking why do you all suppose it is still there? There had to be plenty of complaints, but I have one theory as to why:

Corporations do not like to be told what to do by anyone, whether a guest, customers, the government, anyone. Disney "eats a lot of crow" when they make guests happy, even though they are supposed to be in the "happy people" business. Keeping Stiches Great Escape is their way of saying "we are a big company and no one tells us what to do and it is our business and if we want to keep something people hate we will" This is even though because it takes power and CMs to run Stitch, a blank space would be less money.

Since a lot of companies are like this (GM and Sears are examples) do you all think Disney is like that too?
There are so many things on that post worthy of comment, but, I am going to confine myself to just one. Exactly how do you know that "everyone hates" the ride. I don't hate it. It's not the greatest thing ever, but, considering the configuration of the building it is in, I think it is a pretty imaginative show. The AA's are quite impressive and the intended atmosphere is completely palpable. The biggest, silliest complaint I have ever heard about it is that the "chilli burp" makes some super sensitive people "ill". I hope none of those people ever have to deal with really disgusting things cause the result will not be pretty. The worst thing about it is that it is hardly even that noticeable. Hyperbole at best.

Matt_Black

The theater itself literally stinks. All that chili gas has seeped into the area so you can smell it even before that part of the show.

BigRedDad

For the same exact reason there are only 5 rides at DHS...the Execs are too stupid or oblivious to what is wrong with the parks. There is not too much wrong, but it will cost money to fix them AK is moving in the right direction, MK needs a little TLC, EPCOT needs to utilize the buildings that are there, and DHS needs about 12 additional rides and 3-4 being thrill rides.

AEfx

First, it's not nearly the travesty that the Internet-filter makes it seem. It's nothing to write home about, but it is a nice air conditioned lightly entertaining attraction. If you think it's bad now, you should have seen the previews...this is the Shakespeare version.

The hate over it is one of the most overblown topics in Disney-fandom. It's got a great queue/pre-show set-up, and while I am also no fan of the corn dog smell, it also has some cute fun effects. It's not meant to be Tower of Terror. I think MILF is a much more objectionable attraction, that broke the rule of videoscreens - they used video screens to replace what could have EASILY been animiatronic, not to produce an effect that was otherwise unachievable.

(All that said, of course I prefer Alien Encounter, no question, but that doesn't make me not look at this for it's merits.)

Now, as to why "it's still there"? Anyone who asks that question makes me want to turn around and ask, "Are you new?"

It works. They dumped some low millions into it a good number of years ago now, and it still operational, and still sucks up some guests from running straight to Space Mountain, or gives something to do for folks stuck because of a parade.

Disney isn't going to spend a dime on it because it serves it's functional needs.

I think this is really a dire case of "be careful what you wish for". If they did decide to close it, one of three things would happen:

1) They would shutter it, expand the store next door into the queue, it would remain closed up like the unused portions of Imagination, used for storage at best.

2) They pull it down, install a new Meet and Greet.

3) They pull it down, and replace it with something even crappier, a walk-through with a few video screens, something on the level of the "Prince Caspian" movie walk-through thing over at MGM, that makes us wish for the smell of corn dog farts.

TL;DR? -- things as they are now, and in that location of the park - if it went away, anything "replacing" it would suck more, and if you just don't like it, keep walking by, because it does serve some purpose and is better than nothing.

BethG

Stitch is one of our family's top 2 Disney characters (the other being Wall-E). My kids love this ride. We go on several times each trip. Once we went on 4 times in a row and the smell started to get to me then.

I enjoy it for the people watching. When the shoulder harnesses come down, there are always people who push back. Then, the harnesses snap into place about 6 inches above their shoulders. As a result they freak out a little that their 'restraints' are not in place. I'm not sure what they think the 'ride' is going to do?

Stpdfw

I've only gone on the ride once. I didn't like it because yes, the restraints did push down too hard for me. I'd gone on Alien Encounter, though, and had forgotten about it until this part in the new ride. I wasn't in extreme pain or anything. The rest just made me think for a few seconds something was wrong with the attraction when it stayed dark for longer than I'd have thought. I think i'd like it better if I get the chance to go again because I'd be able to focus on what was actually going on.

I have no strong feelings about the ride. It was neat to see, and it's neat to think back on.

I did enjoy AE much more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom