Why is it that some people just don't get it????

2much2do

Original Poster
Since apparently I am such a Disney freak, and since I am going to WDW in 44 days, I have been pretty much thinking and talking about nothing else recently. I have found that the world (the outside world that is) can be divided into three basic categories. First, there are the people like me. Disney crazy and loving every minute of it. People who like Grizzly get "Disney Moments" and who like Tink cry at Disney commercials. People who feel the magic. Then there are the people who hate Disney. They cite things like money and marketing and corporation beurocracy. Then there is a huge group of people in the middle. These are the people I just don't understand.
Sure, they like Disney. It's ok. They watch some of the movies. They miss some too :)veryconfu ) They maybe have been to WDW for a day or two and gone to Universal or Sea World the other three or four days. They haven't been back in years and don't seem pained by that at all. They can take it or leave it. I ask you: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??????????? Why are they like that? Don't they feel the magic too? How can you NOT feel the magic? Am I just a really, really weird fanatical lunatic???????

ToTBellHop

I would love to say these people just feel disney is for little kids and are being ignorant, but I have a friend who goes to disney every once in a while but doesn't really care for...THE TOWER OF TERROR! Now, I can understand if it makes you sick, but she said she thought it was poorly done! I don't get that! So, I think the people you are referring to are the people who are like "eh...it was okay"...generally people who don't necessary respect theming and all the extra work disney puts into their rides--so, they may like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but feel a Six Flags with 10 coasters is better--even though disney did a better job with one coaster, they'd still like to ride 10...or maybe they want to go on a drop tower with a 300 foot drop versus Tower of Terror's several 169 foot drops...I don't understand it, but like all of us, I have disney eyes (quality over quantity) and not Six Flags eyes (quantity above all else)...I'd rather have 3 or 4 extremely well-done thrill rides in a park than 50 empty, storyless thrill rides...

2much2do

Original Poster
I have had people tell me they like Disney, they are just not "fanatical" like I am??? Why is it that I'm fanatical?? Why isn't it that they are blind?????

Main Street USA

different strokes for different folks! I can't believe people that don't like disney either. i used to take a fried with me every year on my family trip. one year i took my best friend and all he did was complain about how he didnt like this and didnt like that. it mde me soooooo mad. but, all we can do is enjoy it ourselves and not worry about these other people. i can say that i feel a little sorry for people that dont get to see and experience what we all experience and live as much often as possible.

NowInc

Try going to art school sometime. More people there HATE disney than anyplace else I have seen. Granted from an animation standpoint they have a bad history of "abusing" animators, but none of us would be making cartoons if it wasnt for them...

Ironically, those same people are eager to worship pixar..go figure.

NowInc

Originally posted by Main Street USA
i am at an animation school right now. i have developed a newfound hatred for anime. it sucks, always has sucked and always will suck.

Ohhh..I HATE anime..always have. Of course..in art school..thats like asking for death. I had to keep my hatred a secret because I didnt want to get a smack down every day.

Where do you go to school (if you dont mind me asking)...im always curious to hear about what other people are doing n stuff ;) And are you going for traditional or computer ? And what level degree?

Main Street USA

I have completed the 2-d design program at Southeast Missouri State University and recieved a BA. I also completed the Graphic Design curriculum there, but was not allowed to recieve 2 degrees from the same dept. (dumb, but whatever) I am now attending Collins College in Tempe, AZ. Taking an 1 1/2 year program to recieve an associates in animation. At this school the program consits of both traditional and CG training. CG utilizes Maya. Flash, premiere, and after effects are also part of the curriculum. I graduate in June and am getting ready to begin sending out my portfolio. Any suggestions, leads, and such are GREATLY appreciated. This is a difficult field to get into!

NowInc

Difficult? You mean IMPOSSIBLE..there are WAAAAAAAAAY too many animators out there (trust me..Im one of them), so jobs are VERY hard to come by...

But here are some tips::

When you make your demo reel...dont be concerend with making a story. ONLY PUT YOUR BEST WORK ON THERE. Clips are better than full animations...Also...put the BEST work first...I used to review demo reels and I can tell you that we fast forward thru most of it anyway...

Dont Screw around with deadlines. Especially in animation. They have a way of finding you and biting you in the butt...quick.

If you need ANY help in Maya, Flash, Premiere, After FX or ANYTHING else..dont hesitate to PM or Email me. I love to help. I am Maya Certified (woohoo) so I can be of most help there, but I also know those other programs pretty well.

Main Street USA

thanks so much for the offer. i actually prefer traditional to cg. the one thing i do enjoy in cg is modeling. being able to build anything without having to go buy wood and screws is pretty sweet. i can draw pics all i want but i cant do a flythrough on a 2-d drawing!

and BTW we are WAY off this thread topic....

tinkrbel

there is something missing in people that dont love WDW or disney.. I am with you 2much2do .. I dont understand them .. it drives me totally insane when people dont know the difference between disneyland and WDW. I can never understand how they can only go there for the rides either .. there is something so special just walking through the parks taking in everything. I guess sometimes "magical" might even be over used. but I dont understand any one perfering a Six flags theme park, universal, or any of the others .. and I hate to hear someone compare WDW to other parks because there is none. and when people ask me ..why dont you go to IOA and universal (we have a sea world in texas) I tell them ..we go to WDW thats the only thing we care about. I went to Universal in Ca. blah ..dirty and nothing at all special about it. Besides ..why leave a place where everything I love is all there. All year long ..every day .. WDW is mentioned in our home. We live for our vacation at WDW. a disneyfreak ? sure .. married to one too thank goodness !! Maybe its because I never really grew up :) But WDW and disney-itis is a feeling .. something that tells you no matter how bad the world is ..there is happieness, Just over the last few days a lot of awful things have happen .. but I still have WDW to look forward to ..and if not for that I would be locked up in my bedroom, crying and depressed. No .. I will never understand people that go to WDW and dont become totally addicted or say they like six flags better.. there is just something missing in them.

I understand how y'all feel. I've been wandering around work for the last couple of weeks saying, "I'm going to see Mickey!!!" and people are looking at me like I'm nuts. I haven't been aas many times as I'd like but I hoping that I can start, with this years trip, making it a yearly vacation. I am taking my girlfriend with me, who hasn't been to the park since just after it opened, and has bad memories because of family problems. While she is excited about going, she doesn't have the same enthusiasm that I have. I hope that after we have our trip that she will be as nuts about Disney as we all seem to be. I have been to many other paks, Six FLags, King's Island, etc. and while I love riding the coasters (the bigger and faster they are the better) NOTHING gets me more excited than walking down Main Street with the castle in front of me and the sounds of Disney filling the air. Some people are just too "grownup" for Disney, I guess, and I feel sorry for them. They're the people who seem to always be frowning and it seems as if nothing can cheer them up. Anyway, I'm rambling, I just think it's great that we have a place where we can all talk about the thing that makes us all happy, Disney!

figmentmom

I'm with you guys. I cannot understand anyone who is immune to the Disney magic. WDW is just so well-planned and well-done that I would think it would be impossible not to enjoy and appreciate it. I'm a musician; while I have met many, many people in the art field who have nothing but disdain for Disney (go figure), most of the musicians I have met respect Disney a great deal. Sure, I've been to plenty of other amusement parks - and that's just what they are, amusement parks - some better-run than others - but none have ever left me with the desire to find a website where I can talk freely to other people who love the place as much as I do!

WDW is just a great, great place. It never fails to recharge my mental and physical batteries, and makes me, I am sure, just an easier person to live and work with!

melittahauser

You know I used to think it was just me until I started coming here, then I found out its not me. I can close my eyes and see Main Street right in front of me. Oh my gosh what a feeling. I'm known at work as the official WDW tour guide. I've convinced 2/3rd of the people I work with to go to WDW. Make them feel guilty for not already taking their dids. "What kind of parents are you, you haven't taken your kinds yet". The biggest thing I hear is the "kids" are too your. Too young I tell them thats what it's all about being young and staying young at heart. My company now offers the Disney Club card, thank heavens, because of me:) I can't wait to walk down Main Street again. I'll just stand there and gaze away:)
Have a great day everybody.
Melitta

Wishingtree

I have noticed that the majority of the people that I have met who do not like Disney are people that take themselves too seriously. "I'm too old for kiddie rides" is one of the comments that always amazes me. WDW is a place to cut loose. Everybody is a kid again. I had just as many pictures taken with characters as my 2 children on our last trip.

Main Street and NowInc. don't worry about being off thread. That was one of the most interesting exchanges I have seen. Always nice to see a positive thread drift than a bunch of bickering. Good Luck MS.

Jim

Mr. Toad

We go to WDW just about every year (this year is trip 29 - better start planning trip 30). The most annoying thing to me is when people say "Your going there again? You should try somewhere else." I have gone to other places. Some of them are great (Hawaii in particular). But I always return to WDW. Even if it can get expensive I still think it is the best value for my vacation dollars. A lot of people just don't realize all the other things there are to do there besides the parks.

Oh well, it is their loss.

tinkrbel

Originally posted by melittahauser
[B The biggest thing I hear is the "kids" are too your. Too young I tell them thats what it's all about being young and staying young at heart. My company now offers the Disney Club card, thank heavens, because of me:) I can't wait to walk down Main Street again. I'll just stand there and gaze away:)
Have a great day everybody.
Melitta [/B]

OOOOO I agreee so much .. but I have to add to this .. you are going to miss out big Time if you dont take your kids.. I know because we didnt take ours, we thought it would be too crowded, too expensive and all that bull...oh we took them to parks, zoo's, six flags, and other stuff but I wish we had taken them to WDW ..now we do take our granddaughters.. and started when the youngest was only 6 months old. I think its made a huge impact in them.. they are both straight A honor roll students .. they have never made anything under an A.. they are both confident and talented and interesting :) thier mom is a wonderful person ..but I wish I had give her that disney magic as a kid. Maybe it is more work taking a young child ..but its waaaaaaaay more rewarding too!!

njchris65

Ahhh I can relate to this. I love going to disney and have gone every year for the past 9-10 years (before that I couldn't afford to do that.. )

Anyway.. for about 5 of those years I brought my best friend.

After the 3rd time I had to twist his arm to go because he was getting bored of it.

BORED! BLASPHEMY!! ;)

Anyway, I'm with someone now who loves going just as much as I do... yay!

I tried to move all my belongings into the Castle last year.. but they told me no. Rude... :)

MKCustodial

Did you notice how all the stories shared here happened to all of us in one way or another? And I'm not even American! Which makes it even harder, you know, because for us it's much more expensive, and I get a lot of those "you're going there AGAIN?"...
Also, Brazilians have a tendency to send their children by themselves in big tour groups, exactly because parents feel they won't stand going to an "amusement park". And as they believe sending their kids while they're young is a waste (for some families it's a one time opportunity, with all the members chipping in, because it can get too expensive), these tour groups have 20 or so 13 to 17 year olds who don't care a fig about Mickey, they just want coasters and tennis shoes and computer stuff.
I've been to WDW 5, the first one in 1990 when I was 11, and the last one in 1999 when I was part of the International Program. I had tears in my eyes when I walked down Main Street the first time, and I always enjoyed my vacations there, but I only saw the TRUE magic when I was a CM. Do you guys know what it is like to see a kid's face light up because you tell her you're Mickey's friend, and then placing a Mickey sticker on her hand? I placed kids along Frontierland so they would be near their favorite characters during the Magical Moments Parade, I explaines what's that line at the top of the castle, I even had to come up with a reason why Ariel's voice sounded different from the movie when she was at the Grotto! I even used day-offs to go down to the park and just sit around Frontierland, chewing on a turkey leg and feeling the environment around.
My next trip is planned for January 2003, and it's gonna be my dream come true (perfect for the parade, huh?
:animwink: ) because I'm taking my girlfriend. She's excited because she has never been outside Brazil, and because she knows I love the place. But she has told me that she never really had in her to meet the place. I hope when we get there she'll see what it is that makes me, and all of us, grateful that Walt was part of this world and created that little mouse.

David

Like eveyone else on these boards, I am a Disney fanatic. I keep this web site up all day long to see what is going on and what others are thinking.

I love going to WDW, and my enthusiasm shows when I discuss it with other people. Sometimes they catch on to my excitement and sometimes they do not. I think that all are amused by how much I enjoy the place, though.

But anyway, the important thing is to keep YOUR love for the place, and don't let others dampen your enthusiasm or enjoyment. When the "outside" world starts getting you down, log on and chat with those who are with you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom