Why is it that some people just don't get it????

tinkrbel

reading all these post reminded me of Julie .. Julie use to be my hubby's fleet manager .. She listened every year while my hubby and Susan another fleet manager that sat next to her talked about going to WDW. then one year she decided to go .. She came back and said she still didnt understand .. well guess what .. it wasnt long after that .. Susan became my hubby's fleet manager !! My husband just couldnt deal with someone that like 2much2do said "doesnt get it" Julie never went back to WDW .. but she always seemed to hang around to make comments about Susan and DH being so insane about WDW. And just today a very close sweet dear friend who lives in England and comes to WDW wrote me an email .. and I love what she said about it.

it sounds kind
of corny but you know once your inside WDW the awfulness of the world stays
right outside the gates, I know its not the real world, its a manufactured
dream but I know which world I would rather have

2much2do

Original Poster
Oh my gosh, Tink. That quote of your friend's covers how I feel pretty much right on the nose! WDW takes me away from my problems, stress, takes me away from the real world. I know how you feel, Tink. There have been times that money problems, car problems, health issues, general family stress have taken their toll on me. As a way of escaping, I (the whole family actually) dreams and plans the next WDW trip. we buy the guidebooks and read about restaurants and new rides. We talk about what we did the last time we were there. It takes us away from it all, and is escapism for us. For the time I spend there, the real world does not exist and I am in a "perfect" place. Yes, I notice things that I would change about WDW, I notice some of the people being maybe not the greatest. I know the world is out there. But, I can relax. I can take a breath and stop running the marathon that is life for just a short while. A true vacation IMO.
To wannabebelle: You got it baaaaaby!
I just find it so relaxing to get there and just soak up the atmosphere at the parks and the resorts. If I am crazy so be it!!! I Am not hurting anyone with this and is a matter of fact probably making a few people smile!!! What a great deal!!
We're not hurting anyone, so why do they tell us we're freaks and fanatics???? Not that I really care what other people say, but it just makes me wonder why they can't see and feel what I do. What is it about them that makes them ................immune? Immune isn't the right word I am thinking of, but you get the idea.
Oh, and just for the record. I never said it was not good to not love Disney. What this post is about it why. Why don't they? Why doesn't everyone out there "feel the magic"?

figmentmom

Boy, you're right...the "awful" stuff stays right out of the parks - and my mind - while I'm at Disney. Sounds corny and oversimplified, but while I'm there, I just feel that maybe the world CAN be a better place for us all. OK, I know it's an amusement park, not the United Nations, but Disney makes that hope spring eternal. I'm not as cynical while I'm there.

figmentmom

Oops - sorry, 2much2do and Tink - guess I got off the topic of this thread.

Maybe the reason some people seem immune to the magic of Disney is that they are unable to let go of being self-conscious, and therefore can't relax and have a good time. Guess we all worry about what other people might think of us, but while I'm at Disney, I am able to let go of that and just have fun. Who cares if I look a little silly on that ride - lighten up and have some FUN!!! NOt everyone can do that, though, and I think those are the people who look at you like you're nuts when you mention Disney for the 50th time in one morning. THEY couldn't get into it, and are therefore darkly suspicious of anyone who DID.

mmexpress

addicted

Hi all,
Beleive it or not I'm 36 and took my first trip to WDW ONLY 2 years ago thanks to conquering a lifelong fear of flying.
I am now totally addicted, I'm taking my 4th trip apr. 30- may 4.
and I'm booked for December too.
I would never guessed that I could become a fanatic but it happened. I've been checking the employment sites in Fla. for positions in my line of work and eventually plan on movind closer to the world, guess I really got it BAD...:lol: :slurp:

tinkrbel

Isnt it just wonderful to know that your not alone .. because those people that are asking "why in the world are you going there again" are people you know, they are not people who know you :) I have to admit ..this board is holding me together right now .. you know ...so what if they dont get it ..if they dont understand that there is more to it then just the rides. to them .. Mickey is just a cartoon and Walt Disney was just someone that built Disneyland and if they are old enough ( like me :lookaroun ) they might remember he had a TV show. But they not only dont get what WDW or Disneyland is about ..they dont get what the man who created them was about. And even if he isnt still here, his dream is. 100 years .. a man and a mouse .. and all the wonderful memories he has given us, with our families. No ..they will never get it ..but we do and we are why there is a WDW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 days left to go .. one month... the longest month of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chellnjr

Some people are just too "grownup" for Disney, I guess, and I feel sorry for them. They're the people who seem to always be frowning and it seems as if nothing can cheer them up.

That is exactly how I am in the "real" world. Disney lets me be happy and actually makes me smile. I just don't smile. (I guess some people can say that I have issues.) When I am at Disney or thinking about it I don't have to be so sad. Does this make any sense? I know it has to for someone on these boards.

Lately I have been buying lots and lots of happy meals and people at work just look at me like I am crazy. They just don't get it when I tell them that I am trying to collect all 100 figurines. They look at me with this look of shock on their face when I tell them that I am going back to WDW 2 times this year. Just wait until next year when I get an extra week of vacation. I have already decided that I will go for one week in the spring and two weeks in the fall. This year we are only able to go for 3 days in the spring. Maybe we will even be able to squeeze in a long weekend next year. Who knows? I just can't get enough of this stuff. I am so thankful that my husband no feels the same way. Before his first trip he thought I got just a little too excited. Now he is the same way.

Thanks for all being Disney nuts also and gathering in one place! :sohappy:

cm1988

Resort Guest vs. Day Guest

Long before the Griswalds, our family made the "Summer Vacation" drive across the country. We planned the trip months in advance, and despite stops at the Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and much more, it was our "trip to Disneyland". We were certified Disney fans!

Years later, now on my own, I heard of the park being built in Florida but was indifferent to it. "Same as Disneyland", right? After it had been open a few years, a buddy and I drove down to check it out. We had a great time, but to me, it was pretty much the same thing.

Then not long before Epcot opened, friends at work persuaded me that WDW was an entirely different kind of vacation experience if you would stay at one of the two resorts they had. When Epcot opened, I booked a room at the Contemporary.

The second day there, I was asking Cast Members how they liked working there; how I could find a job; etc., etc. From that point on, I couldn't get enough of the place.

Epcot made a difference, and the continuous growth over the years, but truly it was the resort experience that changed my opinion of WDW.

Now from the perspective of haviing worked there a while, and from having watched these forums for a while, it still seems that staying on property for a night or two, surrounded by all that's available to a resort guest, is a good part of the Disney difference.

wannabeBelle

For the poster who is interesting in animation Good for you and keep up the great work. It, like any other field of the Arts, is incredibly difficult to get into. Last time I went on the Animation tour( An absolute must for you if you havent already done it) the animator who was in our tour told us that Disney gets 1500 portfoios for every one opening they have as an animator!!! So Best of luck always and remember as Walt Disney used to say " Dont throw away the good stuff".

Main Street USA

i have been on the animation tour many, many times. once a year everytme i go, for as far back as i can remember. it is completely amazing to say the least. I do, however, sometimes walk out feeling like less of an artist than when i went in, seeing that these people that actually do work there are the "elite" of whats out there. some really incredible work. i try to use all i have seen in there as inspiration and something to shoot for, allbeit an extemely high goal. but, if thats what it takes, then thats where i'm gonna be someday. may not be as soon as i graduate, but i can dream, and work towards it as the days, weeks, and months go by.

i see that disney is in the process of cutting about 250 animation jobs in CA. i've read the explanation, though, and it seems this is aimed at those who have absolutely no computer training. it also said that these cuts wold have no effect on the florida studios, which i also find hard to believe.

anyway, i'm going to do what i can now, and if i cant get into the training program i'm probably going to place myself down there in the middle of it all so that i have a shot at at least knowing some people. or, if nothing else, just being inside the company means a lot when it comes to having a chance at many of the openings for "professional" jobs.

and in response to what my favorite animated disney film is......i would have to say.........how am i supposed to pick one?! so many different eras and styles! depnds on taste i guess. story is the basis of it all, though. so by that alone, which is way off from the actual question, i enjoyed peter pan.

Nut4Disney

I just got back from my 19th trip to WDW in Feb. (18 straight years). I don't understand how anyone can not like Disney either. I can understand if you don't like the movies, because I'll be honest I'm not that into the the movies. I'm sure I will be when we have our first child in Oct. (a disney souvenier from our trip), but I'm just really more into the magic of Disney when I visit the resort. I used to go every Jan for about 5 years, and I didn't want to go by myself, so I would pay the way for one of my friends to go. None of them ever had a good time, and I just didn't understand it. I know I'm a disney freak and it's hard to explain to people, because they think that Disney is just out to make a buck, which they do. But they also supply me with a feeling of joy that I can't explain to anyone but those on this web site. I listen to the Disney radio stations on live.365 all day at work, and when we go there on vacation there, I am so excited to be there that I watch the resort TV channel until the wee hours of the morning, even though they keep showing the same loop of programming every 20 minutes. I try my hardest to get people to go to Disney to experience it for themselves.

AJAX

Ain't that the truth?

True words-

it sounds kind of corny but you know once your inside WDW the awfulness of the world stays right outside the gates, I know its not the real world, its a manufactured dream, but I know which world I would rather have

That sure hits the nail on the head! I'm a welfare caseworker in a large Michigan city, and the thought of even three days at WDW takes the edge off the parade of misery that crosses my desk every day.

Now if Disney would only provide a therapist to accompany us to the Orlando airport and talk us down to reality, that would be the icing on the cake! The 'non-Disney' atmosphere and the parade of drunkards falling off the planes from the islands clutching their two quarts of duty-free rum is a real slap to the chops.
One of these days, I'm not going to get on that plane!

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by Nut4Disney
I am so excited to be there that I watch the resort TV channel until the wee hours of the morning, even though they keep showing the same loop of programming every 20 minutes.

That is so true!!!

We stayed at AKL last October, and I think I know the tv loop tape about the resorts amentities by heart. It's like hypnotic tv.

DisneyPhD

Re: Ain't that the truth?

Originally posted by AJAX
True words-

it sounds kind of corny but you know once your inside WDW the awfulness of the world stays right outside the gates, I know its not the real world, its a manufactured dream, but I know which world I would rather have

That sure hits the nail on the head! I'm a welfare caseworker in a large Michigan city, and the thought of even three days at WDW takes the edge off the parade of misery that crosses my desk every day.

Now if Disney would only provide a therapist to accompany us to the Orlando airport and talk us down to reality, that would be the icing on the cake! The 'non-Disney' atmosphere and the parade of drunkards falling off the planes from the islands clutching their two quarts of duty-free rum is a real slap to the chops.
One of these days, I'm not going to get on that plane!

AJAX, Small world. I am a msw clincal theraspit in Detroit(hubby is the Phd). You are right. There are some days that I am just living for my next vacation to WDW. "On those days I ask myself, why I am working again? oh yes, so I can aford to take a break and forget about it all for a while." WDW is great for ones mental health!!! Sometimes the harder you work, the harder you need to play!

FutureCEO

some teenagers don't like disney. some do though. we had an hour disney conversation in my sat math class one day. walt disney was God's gift to us.

NADisney

I go to Disney World two to three times a year , and just love it.I wake up to Disney music , wear a diffrent Disney shirt each day(without repeating a shirt design for 200 days or more) my work companions want to know which "Disney Pin" I have on for the day. I have plenty of Disney watches, toys , books , movies,photos..exc.exc.exc. The customers at work keep asking me why I prefer to spend my money their then anything or anyplace else.It's because Disney is Family, my family and yours.We need someone in the world to tell us it's ok to dream,build and explore new ideas to everyday life.No it is not perfect all of the time ,but that is life in general.

It's that "Magic" spot in our life that reminds us of our family and friends who "shared a dream come true".We follow our hearts and not our pocket books,and like to pass onto the next generation that we can live ,work,and help make this planet a better place ."If we can dream it ,we can build it" and learn from our mistakes.

I'll be visiting Disneyland for the first time april 5,6th 2002 and WDW may 22,23,24,27,28 2002 .Knowing that "Their is a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow just a Dream away " makes me proud to be a Disney nut and if I can spread a little "Pixie Dust " and open eyes to the magic and wonder, so be it.

:sohappy: :D :cool: :lol: :king:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
2Much2Do

Please remember that it takes all kinds....remember that we are the exception rather than the rule. Probably about 95% of the general population isn't as excited and in love with disney as we are.

However, there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, they probably think there is something wrong with us for getting all worked up about a theme park that we see only once a year (if that often) for many of us.

Just like I could say "I love video games" and you could say "I don't really care for them". I wouldn't say "what is wrong with you? are you serious, I think you have problems"

To each their own.....I think we even have some people on these boards that are reading this thread saying "they're crazy" because they like to keep up with what's going on, but aren't going to talk every day about it.

The great part about going to WDW is that all of these people come together at one time, and that's what makes the experience what it is.

tinkrbel

Originally posted by njchris65
There isn't anything wrong with them.. they just aren't as happy people! :) :):king: :p :hammer: :lol:
I agree .. disney people are the kind that can see a light at the end of the tunnel, it might be a train ..but its the train in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!!!!!!!

AJAX

Unless you've suffered a cataclysmic tragedy in your life that removes all the joy from it, and I've seen that happen, I don't think it's possible to outgrow Disney.

Our daughter will soon be 20. From the first time we took her to WDW in '86, it's been a family tradition to walk under the train trestle at the MK, hold hands, and run through the square to the foot of Main St to where we can see the Castle. Once there, we jump up and down and share a hug.
In '99, the last time we were there together, I was apprehensive that our then 18 year old Suave, Sophisticated Senior might not want to be seen acting so unabashedly foolish in public.
I was surprised & delighted when she grabbed our hands and made the run through the square!

When I called her last Saturday at MSU and asked her if she'd like to go with us over Christmas break, she was offended that we even had to ask.

The acorn doesn't fall very far from the tree! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom