Why is Disney getting rid of the little things?

blueboxdoctor

I'm gonna have to go with a big ol' "No way, Jose!" Intents and purposes is correct - intensive purposes is not. But don't feel bad - it's a common mistake. And I'm not really a grammar sheriff - I just play one online!

I did some digging here to see what's going on. It seems that while it's not the actual saying, it does still work, though, it would work as a more extreme version of the actual saying. And apparently it's also an "eggcorn," so it can probably also count as a more slang type way of saying it. http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1326/intents-and-purposes-versus-intensive-purposes

Note, I'm not even trying to argue, actually found this sort of interesting (as a past writing tutor at a university, I always advised against any sayings like this, so I never spent time on how they are properly meant to be written).

danyoung56

I just went to the link you posted, and it seems like everyone is agreeing that "intensive purposes" is incorrect. I'm not entirely sure what an eggcorn is, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this. And of course it's important to note that I'm always right, even when I'm wrong!!!

mf1972

I totally understand what you mean. It seems like Disney is downsizing. No more dance parties or a parade at Animal Kingdom, getting rid of live entertainments around the parks. I was especially sad to see Push the trash can gone. I remember looking suspiciously at each trash can at the Magic Kingdom, thinking that one of them was actually Push. The same thing with Wes Palm at the Animal Kingdom; he's no longer there either. It's just sad things like that are disappearing.
I miss push also, but I've come across a few visitors who can easily take his place. ;)

Heffalump333

Original Poster
I understand that Disney is all about money now but, it really does not cost that much for something like Push or something small compared to something like making a new attraction.

MississippiBelle

I totally understand what you mean. It seems like Disney is downsizing. No more dance parties or a parade at Animal Kingdom, getting rid of live entertainments around the parks. I was especially sad to see Push the trash can gone. I remember looking suspiciously at each trash can at the Magic Kingdom, thinking that one of them was actually Push. The same thing with Wes Palm at the Animal Kingdom; he's no longer there either. It's just sad things like that are disappearing.

Animal Kingdom is about to get some pretty awesome looking night time entertainment. It is sad to see some things go but other things are coming in their place. The parks are constantly changing so it seems best to enjoy things while they are available and look excitedly to the future for new things to come.

FigmentPigments

Who is this Wes Palm of which you speak? I've seen DeVine - is he like that?
ecc68143dd52e81501e193047bc6d680.jpg
Poor Wes Palm. We hardly knew ye.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Intensive purposes is always wrong.

People complain when little things are added because they're not big enough (see any conversation about Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom).

People complain about dance parties because they're not attractions. Also, I was at WDW two weeks ago and there was a massive dance party at DHS right in the middle of the park, so I'm not sure what you all are talking about with all of them being cancelled

Disney didn't own the IP to PUSH.

Jon81uk

So Luxo was damaged and may also have been shut down due to the Luxo/ Pixar lawsuit.
Disney didn't own push so when the guy who did decided to leave they couldn't keep him.
Lucky the dinosaur was advertised as limited time, although it would have been nice for her to stay.
DeVine is still at AK.
There are currently two non-ticketed Dance Parties at DHS. Plus Club Villain once a week.

There are still smaller things in the parks and many examples didn't leave for simple reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom