Why is Disney getting rid of the little things?

brb1006

Not sure if this was mentioned.. But I wish I could have experienced the Sword in the Stone little show with Merlin.
You have no idea how much fun Merlin was during the Sword In The Stone ceremony in Disneyland. Here's a video of one for example, these days you can only find him at Disneyland Paris.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Well if it makes you all feel better they do have much more pyro they out the day as well as at night then they used to, rivers of light is on the way and celebrate the magic is a nice addition.

danyoung56

I didn't know Epcot had a talking water fountain.

It was in the central plaza, near the big fountain. It was really cool late at night to catch a drink and hear the voice from way down deep lamenting that it was raining on him or some such nonsense. It stopped working a few years ago, and Disney has never fixed it.

erasure fan1

Yes, people come for the big stuff. But one of the things that separates Disney from Universal and other theme parks around the country is the attention to details. Too often, now swept aside.
People do come for the big stuff but what makes people life long fans is the small stuff. Disney in my eyes has been very short sighted with this. Yes, people are coming to the parks in record numbers now, but how many are becoming hooked? The funny part is people come for the big stuff but what have they added in that department? Not a whole lot. I know I am not the only one who has dropped my visits from every year. Erosion may be a slow process but it can end up a very big problem down the line.

Tom 55

My complaint is that we have stayed at POFQ 2009, 2012,2013 and 2014. Back in 2009 every time you came in or went out the front door there was a greeter there that gave you beads. To go with the theme of French Quarter. Back then we went home with like 20. My grand son liked to share them with the other kids we would meet threw out the day. In 2012 they just gave us 1 each when we checked in. By 2014 I did not see them anymore. It is only a little thing but something my grandson noticed.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 35

Jon81uk

My complaint is that we have stayed at POFQ 2009, 2012,2013 and 2014. Back in 2009 every time you came in or went out the front door there was a greeter there that gave you beads. To go with the theme of French Quarter. Back then we went home with like 20. My grand son liked to share them with the other kids we would meet threw out the day. In 2012 they just gave us 1 each when we checked in. By 2014 I did not see them anymore. It is only a little thing but something my grandson noticed.

I've read fairly recent reports that the greater is still working at the main doors to French Quarter. Maybe the guy who is normally there was on holiday or sick when you were there.
I agree though that when the current gentleman retires it doesn't look like they would give someone else that role as a full time job

Phonedave

I didn't know Epcot had a talking water fountain.

I think it used to be near the land pavilion. surprised me once too.

It was in the central plaza, near the big fountain. It was really cool late at night to catch a drink and hear the voice from way down deep lamenting that it was raining on him or some such nonsense. It stopped working a few years ago, and Disney has never fixed it.

There were a couple, all in FW. If I recall, there was one by Mouse Gears, and one by the bathrooms by Spaceship Earth.. I don't remember the one in the Central Plaza, but there were a couple. They have not worked in years. They used to say random things "is that refreshing" and "how are you doing today" stuff like that.

disneygeek90

I caught Luxo Jr. once on random several years back now. It was night, and the lights in the trees were going around him and it was simply amazing. Such a simple yet awesome touch. Sad to read that he is no more, or that there's a copyright issue with it? Seems odd. I really wish they would bring him back though :(

DABIGCHEEZ

We were lucky enough to see DeVine, the Muppet Mobile Labs, Lucky, and Push... My son was really puzzled by Push and Bunsen Honeydew talking to him!

Speaking of DeVine, I also remember seeing something similar to DeVine over by the Living Seas... It was a whole coral reef on stilts?? I can't find pics online, but I really don't think I am dreaming it...

Last edited:

DABIGCHEEZ

Disney-Coral-Costume-600x398.jpg

Found this online(from disneyed.com) at Art of Animation opening. I remember it being very similar(possibly the same) but was definitely at Living Seas by the Nemo characters..

radiohost

The old penny arcade machines inside the MK Train Station really need restored.

And of course they can be restored reasonably. Happens all the time.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I kind of assumed that the talking water fountain was removed due to water wasted doing just what the video above did. Disney as a company has some pretty strict environment rules and having something that just dumps water down the drain every time someone just stands there and mashes the button like that just to hear what is says is just wasting a lot of water. I get the entertainment value of the original model but environmental awareness and things like wasting water have changed in the years since that was originally installed.

Goofyernmost

I kind of assumed that the talking water fountain was removed due to water wasted doing just what the video above did. Disney as a company has some pretty strict environment rules and having something that just dumps water down the drain every time someone just stands there and mashes the button like that just to hear what is says is just wasting a lot of water. I get the entertainment value of the original model but environmental awareness and things like wasting water have changed in the years since that was originally installed.
Not a problem... I'm sure the water for that comes from a small storage tank that is replenished everything someone flushes a toilet. It's called recycling! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom