Why is construction still happening at Universal, but not Disney?

Seanual757

Why would Disney complete projects and paint the castle for the new owners (sarcasm)

LOL on a side note when they do resume rest assured Tron, Guardians, and the front of Epcot will be completed. I fully expect Spaceship earth to be pushed back several years, Reflections will be on hold until further notice, and don't be surprised if the Star wars hotel is put on hold for sometime. Disney will need to preserve cash flow until they see levels return to what they were.

Magenta Panther

LOL on a side note when they do resume rest assured Tron, Guardians, and the front of Epcot will be completed. I fully expect Spaceship earth to be pushed back several years, Reflections will be on hold until further notice, and don't be surprised if the Star wars hotel is put on hold for sometime. Disney will need to preserve cash flow until they see levels return to what they were.

Hopefully the stupid SW hotel will be cancelled permanently. Star Wars is over. Age, PC, and corporate greed killed it.

toonaspie

My guess is that Epic Universe is still in such an early stage in construction that social distancing for the moment is not really necessary. The workers are isolated in bulldozers/tractors/etc. If they were further along they probably would have had to stop for a while.

As far as Beijing, they've probably been pressured to keep building over there so that there's no more delay in the park's opening.

Just my guesses.

tecowdw

I read a report today (FWIW) that construction on Reflections has continued, headed by an outside construction company named Balfour Beatty Construction. Perhaps an area like that that is likely 100% outsourced at this stage of construction are progressing based on that vendors' policies.
🤔

lazyboy97o

I read a report today (FWIW) that construction on Reflections has continued, headed by an outside construction company named Balfour Beatty Construction. Perhaps an area like that that is likely 100% outsourced at this stage of construction are progressing based on that vendors' policies.
🤔
All of Disney’s major projects use third party general contractors. Work was suspended by Disney.

JoeCamel

My guess is that Epic Universe is still in such an early stage in construction that social distancing for the moment is not really necessary. The workers are isolated in bulldozers/tractors/etc. If they were further along they probably would have had to stop for a while.

As far as Beijing, they've probably been pressured to keep building over there so that there's no more delay in the park's opening.

Just my guesses.
They are still working on the track install and the last of the footers for the Jurassic coaster. Some of that is fairly labor intensive. The track supports for the maintenance building were delivered from the south to the north site in the last few days

Last edited:

Seanual757

contractors and builders are still working / back at work in the UK now.
cant see why they wouldn't do it at Disney soon.

Social distancing can be done. it just needs to be monitored correctly by the workers.

Yep I agree we are delivering concrete daily to Universal but zero to Disney. RCID projects are moving along and as well as the Best Western, The Cove, the McDonalds and the Hollywood Studios film strip entrance demo.

But Tron, Guardians, GF Walkway, Epcot, ect... nothing I suspect we will see delays and even projects under construction put on hold (like the SW hotel, and reflections after the site work). Tron, Guardians, GF walkway, and Epoct work will continue since those are projects guests see up close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Contractors are paid for work completed.
Every contractor I've ever worked with on a large project gets a down payment up front followed by progress payments and the final payment upon completion.
All major construction contracts are paid on a benchmark timeline/schedule. No contractor of repute would float too much of the overhead costs without a reimbursement/payment schedule

Last edited:

macefamily

We've had some contractors who refused to come work in our facility during the shutdown unless we had an exception from
the state of PA. Some contractors haven't asked for an exception and have come in working with their PPE on. Perhaps it's that
type of situation where the selected contractors have their own policy for executing the work.
We did have our legal group review the situation and they felt it was perfectly fine for contractors to be onsite during the shutdown.
The governor of PA is a twit. He shut down the state liquor stores and promised that people could order online. The state website has
been down for three weeks. They're losing millions of dollars a day. And then they want to stop PA residents from going into Delaware,
Maryland, and soon New Jersey from purchasing liquor. Idiots.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Read the NYT article about Iger unofficially taking back over as CEO in that thread, and you'll understand perfectly why Disney has halted construction. The Mouse is stretched mighty thin right now...
People are failing to realize just how this specific event is hammering Disney nearly across the board...

The 9/11 comparisons are frequent, but near completely wrong.

This is off the map. What’s bringing in cash? Tv networks? Not really...their share has fallen steadily since the last recession and the nba/mlb is getting paid while no sports brings in little revenue.

Disney+? You mean the $7 a month service that was predicted not to bring anything in for a couple years? Even if it’s well ahead of schedule - which it is - that still isn’t bringing anything substantive in.

They have canned the entire years movie slate - more or less...small but significant.

There are few physical stores open to sell licensed product. Walmart isn’t a viable business plan.

Disney’s business - all of it - thrives on mass consumer crowds and “normalcy”. They’re being robbed of both.

As far as the construction goes...I hate to bring this up, but it needs to be considered:
They market heavily on “new”. So why continue to build when you can’t milk everything for years as “new”?

They could be closed for many more months...and they won’t finish a thing if they can then use it later to drive sales. There’s you motivation.

Universal was 3 years away from a huge expansion that they’re calculating as “found time” to continue construction. Not 1-1.5 on things that will simply “augment/update” the Disney parks.

Sadly - it is what it is.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We've had some contractors who refused to come work in our facility during the shutdown unless we had an exception from
the state of PA. Some contractors haven't asked for an exception and have come in working with their PPE on. Perhaps it's that
type of situation where the selected contractors have their own policy for executing the work.
We did have our legal group review the situation and they felt it was perfectly fine for contractors to be onsite during the shutdown.
The governor of PA is a twit. He shut down the state liquor stores and promised that people could order online. The state website has
been down for three weeks. They're losing millions of dollars a day. And then they want to stop PA residents from going into Delaware,
If you need your fix...I can meet you on the water gap bridge on 78 or 80 with a trunk full of PBR 😉

lazyboy97o

All major construction contracts are paid on a benchmark timeline/schedule. No contractor of repute would float too much of the overhead costs without a reimbursement/payment schedule
The schedule is when payments are made but the amount is based on the work that has been done. Disney often uses a cost plus model so they’re not routinely paying down a stipulated sum.

Then you wouldn’t see all Disney projects stopped while Disney’s contractors are still working on other projects

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The schedule is when payments are made but the amount is based on the work that has been done. Disney often uses a cost plus model so they’re not routinely paying down a stipulated sum.
I’m not disputing that...just pointing out that any hint that the contractors need to “finish” to get paid is about 80% false. There really isn’t an incentive to do that unless there’s a siginificant time or completion bonus that I’d bet Disney avoids in their contracts these days

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom