Why is construction still happening at Universal, but not Disney?

plutofan15

Having worked at a large corporation in their FP&A group, I can't imagine the hours their CAP EX folks and budget folks are putting in right now, particularly because the timeline keeps changing daily.

Absolutely, my spouse is a Finance Director for a large entertainment corporation based in Burbank with multiple theme parks around the globe which is headed up by a mouse. The last day without working was 11 days ago.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Absolutely, my spouse is a Finance Director for a large entertainment corporation based in Burbank with multiple theme parks around the globe which is headed up by a mouse. The last day without working was 11 days ago.
Wow, yeah I bet you don't get to see much of her. I am sure she probably has 1,000 iterations of modelling and pro formas on a daily basis.

No Name

I still don't understand what that was supposed to be lol. Disney Springs is better.

What’s not to understand? It was supposed to be a replacement for Pleasure Island. The Disney Springs project was essentially the same thing and more.

I agree that Disney Springs is mighty fine.

disney4life2008

What’s not to understand? It was supposed to be a replacement for Pleasure Island. The Disney Springs project was essentially the same thing and more.

I agree that Disney Springs is mighty fine.

It's a figure of speech. When they announced the initial replacement it seemed like Disney just put some garbage together hence I don't know what that was supposed to be.

Wildstar

I don’t agree with Disney stopping construction, but there could be a reason(s).

Could be risk? Construction Insurance will not cover corona virus related incidents...at least, not until the government is willing to cover it, yet.

Could be money? I doubt it, but anything is possible. Disney has more than enough money to cover costs.

Negotiations? Disney could be holding their contractors over a barrel saying “do it for less now that no one is in the park!”

Staffing? Contractors may have had staffing call off due to fears of the virus being spread.

Honestly, I can’t find a good reason to be closed to construction. You can get more things done cheaper and faster with the closure. I’m afraid it was a panic move by Chapek.
Both gas station are closed only one near magic kingdom is open it's basically Chernobyl Russia very toxic in Orlando. I work for publix supermarket and one of my guys got Corona virus

disney4life2008

Both gas station are closed only one near magic kingdom is open it's basically Chernobyl Russia very toxic in Orlando. I work for publix supermarket and one of my guys got Corona virus

LOL Orlando is dead literally now. If Disney and every thing else was open, life would be perfect. I say, open everything and ban tourists

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Only essential workers and businesses should be working now. This is the time to stay home, and stop the spread. I live in NJ, and it is beyond scary. I lost my mother to covid, and a lot of friends and neighbors are now infected. This goes way beyond a silly theme park competition.

I have lost some respect for Universal for having construction crews out there now.
Sincere condolences on the passing of your mother. I pray you and the rest of your family remain well. ❤️

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
True but Canadian cheddar soup in Epcot is to die for oh crap poor choice of words. I'm autistic so I'm trying.
The soup is indeed very good. You can get a sample size at F & W.

50AF2EBD-6ECA-498C-889D-7239A7A60D6A.jpeg

bryanfze55

For what it’s worth, Disney is a pretty risk-averse company. Given they are still #1 in Orlando by far, their appetite for avoiding negative publicity certainly outweighs their appetite for expediting the building of new attractions. I’m sure the company is also looking at what projects will be cut.

Universal, on the other hand, is still playing catch-up and has no desire to cancel projects.

Both companies have simply made their own respective business decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom