Why I may not go again

Pepper's Ghost

Supply chain issues to get product, parts to fix items is worldwide in our lives. WDW is not immune to this.
I don't understand defending Disney in the circumstances described by @Sawdust. While what you're saying is true, and understandable, disrepair that has been addressed by zip ties is never acceptable. Take the boat out of service if you can't get or make the proper parts to repair. Zip ties snap... very easily under great stress. The safety of guests shouldn't be dependent on zip ties. If too many boats are unsafe because you can't get or make the proper parts to repair, shut down the ride. That's the only correct solution in that situation.

Regarding the parts to make a souvenir, if so many parts are missing, offer the guest a full refund. It's never acceptable to charge full price months out, and then give a fraction of the parts available than what you paid for. Perhaps this was offered. The OP didn't state, but if not, that's not acceptable. Disney needs to do better. They can't just do what they want because people will pay anyway. That's the sign of a dishonest company. Again, I'm not saying they didn't offer a full refund that the guest refused, but if not, that's not good. Of course supply chain issues might cause this to happen, but then make it right for the guest in another way.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

Married5Times

if so many parts are missing, offer the guest a full refund. It's never acceptable to charge full price months out, and then give a fraction of the parts available than what you paid for.

utter misrepresentation which adversely affects likely thousands of guests.

although in the scheme of life's priorities this misrepresentation is extremely small, it still smells like class actionable to me.

Pepper's Ghost

utter misrepresentation which adversely affects likely thousands of guests.

although in the scheme of life's priorities this misrepresentation is extremely small, it still smells like class actionable to me.
I agree. It's bait and switch, although not in the traditional way. Normally it's advertise one product at a ridiculously low price to get them in the door, but don't stock it and try to sell something they have too much of. This is obviously a bit different, but they're still selling something other than what's anticipated by the buyer, without any warning of potential supply chain issues, or offer of a full or partial refund. I have to reiterate, we don't know if a refund was offered, but if not... that's a bad way to treat the younger generation of Disney fans.

Minnesota disney fan

I agree. It's bait and switch, although not in the traditional way. Normally it's advertise one product at a ridiculously low price to get them in the door, but don't stock it and try to sell something they have too much of. This is obviously a bit different, but they're still selling something other than what's anticipated by the buyer, without any warning of potential supply chain issues, or offer of a full or partial refund. I have to reiterate, we don't know if a refund was offered, but if not... that's a bad way to treat
I agree. It's bait and switch, although not in the traditional way. Normally it's advertise one product at a ridiculously low price to get them in the door, but don't stock it and try to sell something they have too much of. This is obviously a bit different, but they're still selling something other than what's anticipated by the buyer, without any warning of potential supply chain issues, or offer of a full or partial refund. I have to reiterate, we don't know if a refund was offered, but if not... that's a bad way to treat the younger generation of Disney fans.

It would be the right thing to do for disney to state that due to supply issues, the guest might not get to use all of the advertised options.
However, they won't do that, because that would cause a decrease in their income. I bet a lot of people would not schedule o do this if they knew beforehand that there wouldn't be a true full experience, but the price is the same. That's the only reason they don't tell anyone, which to me is just plaine dishonest, but doesn't surprise me under Chapek's regime.

My first sentence was put in the pink area of the poster, so I am rewriting it:
It would be the right thing to do for disney to state that due to supply issues, the guest might not get to use all of the advertised options.

Animaniac93-98

Was thinking about using a gift card towards a one-day, one park ticket later this year.

Thought about DHS because Fantasmic is coming back, but then the concerns started piling up... How hard will it be to get a seat without a dining package? How many rides can I realistically do without paying extra for Genie+ [something I don't want to do]? What happens if the rules for Genie+ change between now and my trip? What happens if they cancel Fantasmic due to weather or RotR breaks down for most of that one day?

Then I was thinking about upgrading to a hopper, but it's an extra $65+ tax (!) to do so, and there's still park hopping restrictions in place.

The combination of high costs, extra planning, extra charges and the likelihood of "missing out" are why I find WDW to be such poor value. My own personal tastes about WDW then vs now and the overall decline in the experience don't make it easier to justify getting a ticket, even to enjoy the things I do still like about the parks.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Seeing what they can get away with.

Absolutely I’ve burned here many times too and think Disney needs to be paying better attention. I’ve lost confidence in Disney products. No more buying sight unseen. Who wants to purchase stuff knowing there’s a high chance something will be wrong and you’ll need to waste time rectifying it or eat your loss? This wasn’t always the case. Becoming more and more common over the last 5 years. We’ll still go to the parks and buy the occasional trinket but no more shop disney or disney subscriptions for us.

Sawdust

Yeah, unpainted steel??
I'm not a mechanic but I do own a camper and have a little experience with towing, the ride vehicle tongue is twisted length wise (it may not be visible in the photo). It's possible the vehicle fell of the a track while attached causing the twist. The darn thing was under stress with each turn. The Land ride itself was enjoyable but the vehicles definitely have some miles on them

WDWJoeG

This.

In a nutshell.
Exactly. I had my epiphany about a year ago when I realized after decades of being a loyal fan, cast member when I was young, spent tens of thousands at the parks around the world, etc, that (as my wife so perfectly put it) "This isn't my Disney anymore".

What I always loved about Disney - the passion about detail, thematic storytelling, integrated architecture, unanticipated "wow" moments in everything from attractions to service is not only gone, but openly and arrogantly mocked by current Disney management.

After years of them screaming in my face that they don't want me as a customer, I finally listened.

The good news is that I have easily rerouted all of the discretionary spending on other destinations so the "awakening" has been easy and a net positive, but it is still sad to think about what the parks were and what they could have been.

The parks in their current mindset now belong to a new generation that apparently loves what they are getting so God bless and enjoy...

Rescue Ranger

I'm here now on my first solo trip and although I'm having a fantastic time doing my own thing by creating my own 'magic', the overall state of the parks, resorts and Cast Members is telling me it's time to take a good long break. It's very disheartening.

So many broken and poorly cared for attractions. Water features broken. Resort areas damaged or falling apart. Prices going up but quality going down. Too many terrible CMs that know absolutely NOTHING, are unhelpful and rude.

What in the world happened to the Walt Disney World we grew up with and loved? Is it the lack of leadership? The newer generation? Guests that just don't care anymore and will give them money for anything they throw out...or don't? It's sucking the life out of this place. Glad I didn't give them a dime for being glued to my phone using Genie+. Not happening.

I was groomed to expect close to perfection because that was what WDW consistently delivered. I'm used to CMs always saying hello or acknowledging you when you walk by instead of looking right past you or the other way. Or laughing with their friends about their wild night the evening before while you're waiting to checkout. Good CMs still exist, but few and far between.

Sad to see those good ol' days are likely gone. But hopefully not forever.

Last edited:

John park hopper

I'm here now on my first solo trip and although I'm having a fantastic time doing my own thing by creating my own 'magic', the overall state of the parks, resorts and Cast Members is telling me it's time to take a good long break. It's very disheartening.

So many broken and poorly cared for attractions. Water features broken. Resort areas damaged or falling apart. Prices going up but quality going down. Too many terrible CMs that know absolutely NOTHING, are unhelpful and rude.

What in the world happened to the Walt Disney World we grew up with and loved? Is it the lack of leadership? The newer generation? Guests that just don't care anymore and will give them money for anything they throw out...or don't? It's sucking the life out of this place. Glad I didn't give them a dime for being glued to my phone using Genie+. Not happening.

I was groomed to expect close to perfection because that was what WDW consistently delivered. I'm used to CMs always saying hello or acknowledging you when you walk by instead of looking right past you or the other way. Or laughing with their friends about their wild night the evening before while you're waiting to checkout. Good CMs still exist, but few and far between.

Sad to see those good ol' days are likely gone. But hopefully not forever.
The bean counters have taken over --the WDW we grew up with is gone, money and not happy guests are the new Disney gods. There is a whole generation of people who don't know the perfection Disney once strived for and accept the mediocrity offered now.

erasure fan1

I was groomed to expect close to perfection because that was what WDW consistently delivered.
This was how Disney operated. They were the industry standard for guest experience. It's what just about every company strived to be. Now they are content riding on the nostalgia bus and banking on the new blood that doesn't care. It's no longer, great experience, first. It's now, how can this be monetized for extra cash, first. Cost cutting for Profits reigns over all that goes on at Disney now. Will it change? I don't think it will unless we start seeing record negative attendance.

Rescue Ranger

Finshing up my time and will have to admit that 2022 definitely hit the mark. More angry, mean spirited, self-obsessed, unfriendly, entitled, narcissistic 'guests' I've ever encountered.

The most I would ever come across in the past was maybe a crying kid or someone possibly just not having the best day.

There are still some decent and great people out there but sadly, few and far between.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I feel like this thread should be stickied just so everyone can air their grievances and vent about "what was" -- a sort of therapy after spending a day or 5 at the once "great" resort.

It's still fun of course just nowhere near as great as it used to be back when the parks weren't run in a mindless minimalistically-managed "zombie-mode" limping along solely on the lifeblood of brand-obsessed new age fans and those cleaving to every last drop of diminishing nostalgia. It's sad. Not sure what's worse, the parks or the hive-mind mentality of it's passive "Disney can do no wrong" guests and it's corporate "yes men." Whoops, getting off track. The parks used to be a creative outlet designed to entertain, to fuel one's imagination and to allow for an escape from the real world, however brief. Now it's just a giant walk-around billboard showing us what was and what could be had so long as we scrape together enough money to get our next fix. Bob needs to eat!

Probably won't be going back -- not until the parks start to resemble something of a great destination once again. I can't fault the CMs. I'd be unhappy too. From the top down Disney needs a refresh the likes of which a company has never seen. To misquote a Disney-acquired brand and misuse it for dramatic effect: These aren't the parks you're looking for.

Still fun of course... But less so.

#KiteFails, #CosmicRegurgitate, #Genie-, #BobthePotato, #PriciestPlaceonEarth, #TianaMountain, #Harmongus, #BoardingGroupLotto

Last edited:

Married5Times

#KiteFails, #CosmicRegurgitate, #Genie-, #BobthePotato, #PriciestPlaceonEarth, #TianaMountain, #Harmongus, #BoardingGroupLottery

standing ovation............I love it!

but curious here......what is "Bob the Potato"?

is that Chapek because he's the ROOT of all evil???? Or is that because he's a lazy thinker like a couch potato???? Or is that because he's bald like a potato?

Sawdust

Finshing up my time and will have to admit that 2022 definitely hit the mark. More angry, mean spirited, self-obsessed, unfriendly, entitled, narcissistic 'guests' I've ever encountered.

The most I would ever come across in the past was maybe a crying kid or someone possibly just not having the best day.

There are still some decent and great people out there but sadly, few and far between.
We noticed the same issue but I thought it was me just getting older :). We had a 16 year gap between visiting and difference in behavior on part of the guests was noticeable.

erasure fan1

More angry, mean spirited, self-obsessed, unfriendly, entitled, narcissistic 'guests' I've ever encountered.
Unfortunately that is the society we have groomed. Personally I think Disney's cost structure has also forced too many into a, get your money's worth, attitude. Regardless of anyone else's experience. Couple that with all the clueless people who have no idea of their surroundings. Constantly looking at their phones, while stopped in the middle of a walkway, or entrance, exit... And yea, no fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom