Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Captain Neo

Disney should just spend 2 bil and convert Hollywood Studios into a dedicated Star Wars/Lucasfilm theme park. Bonus points if they use some of the money to payoff Universal so that they can get the Marvel stuff back and build a Marvel land.

Pixiedustmaker

This guy's DHS rumor was:

“According to an amusement park source who is very knowledgable of the inner workings of the world’s largest entertainment company, the following two changes are happening at the Orlando park that are Star Wars-related.
  • An indoor Jedi Training Academy will be at the ABC Sound Studio.
  • The Backlot Express is being converted into a Star Wars-themed ride aimed for younger children who don’t make the height requirement on the Star Tours ride. (Gotta give the kiddies something too, right?)”
The report says that’s pretty much all Disney has planned. However, there’s also been chatter I’ve overheard that this is part of a multi-phased plan that could be much larger and these reports are just the beginning.

Then he reports six days later that Star Wars land could be the biggest land Disney ever built, and make Carsland look like small potatoes, lol.

More reliable sources have said that WDI is still kinda in the blue sky phase of development of Star Wars land, though they are looking at a Carsland sized area with several attractions. Of course, you could have people looking at incorporating new technology into a Star Wars attraction, or two, and others pondering the aesthetics of a new land. Wouldn't be the first time that an attraction was designed, but its cosmetic elements had to work with a smaller budget. It is no secret that WDI is working on a Star Wars land . . . obviously the location of said land hasn't been decided on.

Beholder

I would have to think, that out of all of Disney's IP's, that Star Wars has, at the same time, the most universal appeal and an extremely hard core fan base. Building anything SW will subject themselves to a rabid level of judgement that few other franchises will bring. I believe that's the number one reason Harry Potter was received so well was because of its authentic portrayal of the source material. If WDW/TDO seeks that sort of recognition, then I sincerely hope that they get this right. Don't cut corners, don't slash the budget and do not make compromises in regard to the established SW universe. People love Star Wars, Disney loves selling merchandise, so done right, this is nothing but a win win.

Nmoody1

I would think that disney was holding off until content for the next 3 films is established so they can add something new and urgent to a park already stuck in the past.

JimboJones123

If, and this is a big if, but if Disney was smart, it would finally release an attraction at the exact same time they release a movie. 25k free advertisements every day for their theater/Blu release. Well, that and the other 150,000 free ads every day as well across Disney property.

It could easily be an attraction for a limited time that changes every 2 years with a new movie which could create huge amounts of multiple visit demand.

Not to mention a 5 second tag blurb on every single movie ad/trailer "and ride it at Walt Disney World...."

But again, if Disney is smart.....

bubbles1812

This guy's DHS rumor was:

“According to an amusement park source who is very knowledgable of the inner workings of the world’s largest entertainment company, the following two changes are happening at the Orlando park that are Star Wars-related.
  • An indoor Jedi Training Academy will be at the ABC Sound Studio.
  • The Backlot Express is being converted into a Star Wars-themed ride aimed for younger children who don’t make the height requirement on the Star Tours ride. (Gotta give the kiddies something too, right?)”
The report says that’s pretty much all Disney has planned. However, there’s also been chatter I’ve overheard that this is part of a multi-phased plan that could be much larger and these reports are just the beginning.

Then he reports six days later that Star Wars land could be the biggest land Disney ever built, and make Carsland look like small potatoes, lol.

More reliable sources have said that WDI is still kinda in the blue sky phase of development of Star Wars land, though they are looking at a Carsland sized area with several attractions. Of course, you could have people looking at incorporating new technology into a Star Wars attraction, or two, and others pondering the aesthetics of a new land. Wouldn't be the first time that an attraction was designed, but its cosmetic elements had to work with a smaller budget. It is no secret that WDI is working on a Star Wars land . . . obviously the location of said land hasn't been decided on.

Didnt you just accuse everyone of lying about development of Star Wars in DHS two days ago? Ranting on about how it couldn't possibly be true since it was from a "disgruntled" CM who you assumed (falsely) was a front line one? Ring any bells?

Disneyhead'71

Because Star Wars doesn't have books associated with it, right? I'll let you think on that for a little bit before you decide to retort. ;) And as for a fanbase, Star wars clearly outstrips HP. In every way. To say otherwise is just being delusional.
Last year, the Harry Potter IP was valued at $15 Billion. All of Lucas Films including the Star Wars and Indiana Jones IPs was purchased for $4 Billion. Potter also wins in terms of Box Office gross.

JK Rowling has sold over 450 million books in 67 different languages.

G00fyDad

Last year, the Harry Potter IP was valued at $15 Billion. All of Lucas Films including the Star Wars and Indiana Jones IPs was purchased for $4 Billion. Potter also wins in terms of Box Office gross.

Wow. Kinda like beating a dead horse ain't it? This argument was over 1000 pages ago and I have no desire to continue this stupid and pointless debate. You like Potter, I like Star Wars. Get over it.

Disneyhead'71

Wow. Kinda like beating a dead horse ain't it? This argument was over 1000 pages ago and I have no desire to continue this stupid and pointless debate. You like Potter, I like Star Wars. Get over it.
Yeah, sorry. I am just now catching up on this thread. And I actually like Star Wars more than Potter. But my personal feelings have nothing to do with HP being a $15 Billion franchise and Star Wars being less than $4 Billion. It's just business.

G00fyDad

Yeah, sorry. I am just now catching up on this thread. And I actually like Star Wars more than Potter. But my personal feelings have nothing to do with HP being a $15 Billion franchise and Star Wars being less than $4 Billion. It's just business.

Again, the argument is over. Let it go. You're basing numbers off of insignificant facts. These facts have been argued to death, so let it go.

Ignohippo

I would have to think, that out of all of Disney's IP's, that Star Wars has, at the same time, the most universal appeal and an extremely hard core fan base. Building anything SW will subject themselves to a rabid level of judgement that few other franchises will bring. I believe that's the number one reason Harry Potter was received so well was because of its authentic portrayal of the source material. If WDW/TDO seeks that sort of recognition, then I sincerely hope that they get this right. Don't cut corners, don't slash the budget and do not make compromises in regard to the established SW universe. People love Star Wars, Disney loves selling merchandise, so done right, this is nothing but a win win.

Said perfectly.

Ignohippo

This is absolutely and totally skewing numbers to make your fact, even though they have no relevance to the argument.

I love HP as much as the next person, but the reality is that if JK wanted to sell the rights to Harry Potter, she'd be lucky to get $4 billion. Just because a property has brought in X dollars, that doesn't mean it is currently worth that amount of money or that it will be in the future.

LucasFilm was also sold to Disney at a lower rate that it could have been. Lucas obviously believed TWDCo was the company he trusted to continue his legacy and took less money than he probably could have from other investors. We also don't know what type of revenue he'll receive in the future as part of this deal, either.

Ignohippo

The fact that they say it could be the biggest park investment in Disney's history, but then go on to say it'll be $200+ million expansion should tell you all you need to know.

$200 mil is less than the FLE, CarsLand, or even the rumored budget of Avatar.

Plain and simple, this person doesn't have any more information than anyone here on these boards (and less than our "sources": Lee, WDW74, Raven ,etc.). I wouldn't put much faith in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom