Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

SJN1279

i think this debate is about as pointless as any debate on this board both are great franchises very similar in popularity and the numbers prove that

They are similar, but unless JK Rowling revisits the franchise, Star Wars will continue to surpass Potter well into the next decade. Potter is done, Star Wars is just warming up.

BigThunderMatt

We also don't know what type of revenue he'll receive in the future as part of this deal, either.

At this point in his life, I doubt it matters how much money he gets from this deal. As Peter Griffin said at the beginning of Blue Harvest: "This is a story of love and loss, fathers and sons, and the foresight to retain international merchandising rights."

Magenta Panther

They are similar, but unless JK Rowling revisits the franchise, Star Wars will continue to surpass Potter well into the next decade. Potter is done, Star Wars is just warming up.

Yeah, but pretty much everything after the original trilogy has sucked. The "success" of any new Star Wars films is still unforeseen. And Star Wars is a much older franchise than Potter, and much more driven by nostalgia. And nostalgia-driven franchises (Tron, Muppets), are no sure thing. Just sayin'.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, sorry. I am just now catching up on this thread. And I actually like Star Wars more than Potter. But my personal feelings have nothing to do with HP being a $15 Billion franchise and Star Wars being less than $4 Billion. It's just business.
Good luck finding someone to pay $15B for Harry Potter. The books and movies did really well but the royalties on future sales can't be worth that much. If they announced a new series of books and movies to come that would boost the value, but not to that level.

Kman101

LOL. Why is there a debate to "which is better". What is this? Elementary school? Both are incredible franchises in their own right. You can like both. You can like one or the other, or neither. What's the big deal?

We'll know all of this 10-20 years from now. Both franchises will have fantastic in-park presence. Doesn't that make both sides winners in the long run?

GLaDOS

LOL. Why is there a debate to "which is better". What is this? Elementary school? Both are incredible franchises in their own right. You can like both. You can like one or the other, or neither. What's the big deal?

We'll know all of this 10-20 years from now. Both franchises will have fantastic in-park presence. Doesn't that make both sides winners in the long run?

The problem is there are many here that cannot handle Universal being a legitimately powerful entity in the Orlando theme park scene.

SJN1279

Yeah, but pretty much everything after the original trilogy has sucked. The "success" of any new Star Wars films is still unforeseen. And Star Wars is a much older franchise than Potter, and much more driven by nostalgia. And nostalgia-driven franchises (Tron, Muppets), are no sure thing. Just sayin'.

Star Wars Episode 7 is going to be huge! Comparing Star Wars to the Muppets and Tron is utterly ridiculous.

Magenta Panther

You know, it's interesting: properties that revolve around magic or science fiction tend to have long shelf lives. Certainly, Disney's magic is as potent today as it was in the 20th century. And science fiction has the advantage of being future-based, so, if a given science-fiction property has been carefully developed, with technology that is believable but not currently available, it too will never seem dated. But of course, what matters most to ANY franchise is good characters. Potter has it (although Harry himself never had much of a personality, it seems to me) and certainly Star Wars has it (at least in characters like Han, Leia, Luke and Yoda), PLUS Potter and Star Wars have story lines people identify with (who wouldn't want to wield a working lightsabre or magic wand?), so I think you're right - both are incredible franchises, with the potential to survive long-term - IF the public and especially the younger generation maintain their interest in them. Harry Potter is not quite nostalgia; Star Wars is. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in the battle between Universal and DHS. :)

Californian Elitist

I've literally never seen anyone say that.

I've heard worse. Someone on MiceChat stated Universal needed to get off their high horse and quit being disrespectful and arrogant. They also stated they needed to know their place and respect the almighty king, Disney.
bash.gif

None of us knew what the heck they were talking about.

GLaDOS

I've heard worse. Someone on MiceChat stated Universal needed to get off their high horse and quit being disrespectful and arrogant. They also stated they needed to know their place and respect the almighty king, Disney.
bash.gif

None of us knew what the heck they were talking about.

I guess their definition of being "on a high horse and arrogant" means "building awesome attractions".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom