Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

RSoxNo1

Thanks for pointing this out. Media distribution is changing rapidly and Comcast Cable is quickly becoming an antiquated service. It won't be tomorrow, or even in five years that it is gone, but the way we consume media is quickly changing. Comcast and DirecTV know this and are holding on for dear life. At least Comcast has alternate products... I don't know what DirecTV will do.
Integrating Comcast online and On Demand services should be an easy enough resolution to this. Have a Hulu equivalent available to Comcast customers solves this "problem".

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Stick a fork in DHS. It's done. They're better off closing the park entirely and fast tracking major improvements than operating 2/3 of a weak park against a Universal Studios that will be this strong.
Is this even an option?
Could they possibly close the entire park for (let's say) 18 months; tear down; build; expand; reorganize the parking lot/entry if necessary; and blow up the BAH?
Without the hassle of working around park patrons, building unnecessary walls, and the possibility of working 12-18 hour days if they wanted - would 18 months be enough?
Clearly they will lose millions of dollars without paying guests, but (albeit lesser) millions could be saved by not having to pay CM's or run attractions.
Everything could be spiffed up at the same time, and re-opened as a brand new park, with perhaps a brand new name.
I know that I would absolutely book a trip to specifically experience a grand re-opening of DHS.
Has anything like this ever be done in a major theme park?
Putting aside that Disney won't do it, my question is - COULD it be done?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is this even an option?
Could they possibly close the entire park for (let's say) 18 months; tear down; build; expand; reorganize the parking lot/entry if necessary; and blow up the BAH?
Without the hassle of working around park patrons, building unnecessary walls, and the possibility of working 12-18 hour days if they wanted - would 18 months be enough?
Clearly they will lose millions of dollars without paying guests, but (albeit lesser) millions could be saved by not having to pay CM's or run attractions.
Everything could be spiffed up at the same time, and re-opened as a brand new park, with perhaps a brand new name.
I know that I would absolutely book a trip to specifically experience a grand re-opening of DHS.
I doubt it. Put aside the fact that they would never close the park and lose revenue and market share. Even working round the clock 18 months seems too aggressive for Disney. It would probably still take 3 years.

GLaDOS

I doubt it. Put aside the fact that they would never close the park and lose revenue and market share. Even working round the clock 18 months seems too aggressive for Disney. It would probably still take 3 years.

Plus it would put the DHS workforce out on their .

Not even Disney would want that PR.

JenniferS

Premium Member
Too much of a good thing is a problem as well. Look at Transformers and Springfield. A nice expansion by Universal is being completely overlooked because of a new attraction opened at the same time a few 100 feet away. Too many major new attractions at one time is overkill. That is why most theme parks limit things to 1 new attraction per year.
Nah, too much of a good thing is not a problem.
Too much of a good thing is what is causing even die-hard Disney fans to bail on the Pixie dust and head north for some real thrills and excitement.
There are many reasons (although one is more obvious than any other - $$$$$$) why theme parks limit new attractions. Overwhelming patrons with too much "goodness" isn't one of them.
One per year - I WISH!

JenniferS

Premium Member
Well darn, I got myself all excited for a moment there.

doctornick

Is this even an option?

It might be possible if there were on the brink of opening up a ton of new stuff at Epcot and DAK (and even Disneyquest) to make up for the loss of one of the park options. Obviously, that isn't the case and there isn't enough to do at Epcot and DAK -- together with MK -- to sustain the current model if they entirely close one park. That would basically be begging visiting guests to check out Universal.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Plus it would put the DHS workforce out on their .

Not even Disney would want that PR.
The displaced Cast Members could easily be put to work in other areas of the resort by simply doing away with the College Program altogether.

Most bad attitudes from Cast Members come from the CP, so it would be a plus on the Customer Service side as well.

asianway

The displaced Cast Members could easily be put to work in other areas of the resort by simply doing away with the College Program altogether.

Most bad attitudes from Cast Members come from the CP, so it would be a plus on the Customer Service side as well.
If only...but the CP still looks good on a resume even if they were scrubbing toilets so the import of cheap labor will carry on

pheneix

Original Poster
However, market trends are heavily against Comcast and other companies that rely on distributing other companies' content to the consumer. Mediums like the WatchESPN App, HBO GO, Amazon Prime Instant Video, Netflix, Roku, etc. are allowing consumers to move more towards a la carte programming. I don't see it being more than five years before you'll be able to pay ESPN or HBO directly for their service rather than going through a service provider like Comcast. Their model is a distributor/middleman function, which is being undermined by technology and consumer choice.

Good thing they own all that pipeline that supplies the internet alongside their cable TV. As traditional cable TV subscriptions fade away, Comcast can simply jack the price up for internet service to make up for the losses. I'm not saying its right, or fair, but its not like any broadband internet provider is going to be in a rush to discount their service as it becomes a necessity for consumers.

Comcast's subscription fees (internet and cable tv, however long that lasts) are a tremendous source of cash flow for other operations and Disney really does not have any asset in its portfolio that can match this ability. Theme parks and in particular the timeshare and cruise ship divisions are about the closest thing. It's not all coincidental that Comcast management sees theme parks as a great alternative to diversify into another cash rich business, especially given another major paradigm shift that is ongoing in content distribution.

El Grupo

The pipeline that Comcast controls is an incredible asset. As their rates increase though, it will be interesting to see how their competition in some key markets respond and the effect that has on Comcast's business strategy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do people not want to watch NBCUniversal content and channels which are now wholly owned by Comcast?

Outside of Sunday Night Football and The Voice I don't think NBC has a top 25 show. Revolution has some promise, but the network is kinda hurting. These things do seem to be cyclical so a climb back towards the top isn't necessarily out of the question in the not too distant future.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Outside of Sunday Night Football and The Voice I don't think NBC has a top 25 show. Revolution has some promise, but the network is kinda hurting. These things do seem to be cyclical so a climb back towards the top isn't necessarily out of the question in the not too distant future.
I definitely miss 30 Rock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom