Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

pheneix

Original Poster
I think the "no art for arts sake placemaking" decrees are going have more of an impact on future work at Disney Studios Paris than at DHS, where constrained budgets were forcing this reality upon the resort anyway.

Oh, by the way, Disneyland Resort Paris is burning up cash and generating operating losses again. Fun times at WDPR in 2013.

Captain Neo

I think the "no art for arts sake placemaking" decrees are going have more of an impact on future work at Disney Studios Paris than at DHS, where constrained budgets were forcing this reality upon the resort anyway.

Oh, by the way, Disneyland Resort Paris is burning up cash and generating operating losses again. Fun times at WDPR in 2013.

tumblr_m8thk7CqaN1rdeykbo1_500.gif

lazyboy97o

The problem is Imagineering. There are funademental problems in that organization that drive up costs and make things like Buena Vista Street so pricey that they can't justify greenlighting them.

Here read this: http://micechat.com/30626-disneyland-resort-6/
No, the problem in this case is the justification being based on trying to move the same worthless merchandise. The sales haven't justified any changes to the entry corridor regardless of care for budget.

Magenta Panther

I've been hesitant to draw a lightning rod to the topic of the hat but......

I have seen no plans to remove it since this business involving DHS 2.0 was introduced to me.

Oh they have no problem unloading lots of money on theming as long as it is part of a project that is intended to grow a theme park. The about-face on BVS style place-making projects is because after a year of studying DCA 2.0 from different angles, it was determined that the work they did up front turned out to be quite meaningless (from a financial perspective) and all of those food and retail locations up front would have posted the same revenue increases off of higher attendance as they have anyway.

Also, Carthay Circle's cash receipts are a train wreck. Epically.

Welcome to 21st century Disney folks. It's only going downhill from here.

Well, I didn't expect Carthay to be another Be Our Guest, but...really?

SirLink

Well, I didn't expect Carthay to be another Be Our Guest, but...really?

I can believe that 5 minute walk from the Jazz Kitchen and serving kinda alright food at inflated prices with poor service ... yep.

Actually they really need to do two things:
1)Make Cathay Circle the only restaurant doing dining packages for WoC
2)Get someone in who understands the front of house to go in.

GiveMeTheMusic

Oh they have no problem unloading lots of money on theming as long as it is part of a project that is intended to grow a theme park. The about-face on BVS style place-making projects is because after a year of studying DCA 2.0 from different angles, it was determined that the work they did up front turned out to be quite meaningless (from a financial perspective) and all of those food and retail locations up front would have posted the same revenue increases off of higher attendance as they have anyway.

Also, Carthay Circle's cash receipts are a train wreck. Epically.

Welcome to 21st century Disney folks. It's only going downhill from here.

Maybe they shouldn't have created such a crappy overpriced restaurant? Table service dining at DLR isn't what it is at WDW - it's not that big of a thing, and Carthay Circle delivers mediocre food at stunning price points. Anyone who's looking to spend that kind of coin on food will go to Blue Bayou for atmosphere or Napa Rose for awesomeness. Carthay was a huge misfire, and they still don't know what to do about it.

Amazing to think that no one at Disney sees the image lift BVS has given DCA. From the Esplanade, it looks like a real and exciting theme park, not an outlet mall with a ferris wheel behind it. The value of BVS can't be measured financially - it's a damn shame Disney has become so increasingly ignorant of their own business model.

Good luck DHS!

Magenta Panther

I can believe that 5 minute walk from the Jazz Kitchen and serving kinda alright food at inflated prices with poor service ... yep.

Actually they really need to do two things:
1)Make Cathay Circle the only restaurant doing dining packages for WoC
2)Get someone in who understands the front of house to go in.

I agree with the above. PLUS a better menu, perhaps...

lazyboy97o

Maybe they shouldn't have created such a crappy overpriced restaurant? Table service dining at DLR isn't what it is at WDW - it's not that big of a thing, and Carthay Circle delivers mediocre food at stunning price points. Anyone who's looking to spend that kind of coin on food will go to Blue Bayou for atmosphere or Napa Rose for awesomeness. Carthay was a huge misfire, and they still don't know what to do about it.

Amazing to think that no one at Disney sees the image lift BVS has given DCA. From the Esplanade, it looks like a real and exciting theme park, not an outlet mall with a ferris wheel behind it. The value of BVS can't be measured financially - it's a damn shame Disney has become so increasingly ignorant of their own business model.

Good luck DHS!
Carthay Circle suffers from the very same misunderstanding of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter's success that plagues the rest of Buena Vista Street. Disney still doesn't understand the concept they pioneered, that the total package is what is important. Everything needs to resonate with the experience. Aesthetics and a franchise are not enough to make up for soulless retail options, and it doesn't help when they're in contradiction with one another.

RSoxNo1

Don't shoot the messenger but....

Hearing a great deal about how it has been determined that Buena Vista Street at DCA isn't really financially justifying it's existence and that placemaking is now "out" on future theme park projects.

That's no doubt going to have an impact on how this park's future development pans out.
Did they factor in the California laws that stated they had to keep the doors closed, as well as not selling the cool items they had in the windows? I'm so sick of Disney wondering why people won't buy their generic crap and then claiming it's a theming/placemaking issue. There were shops that fit in thematically on Disneyland that were there for placemaking/theming. Now because every swatch of payment needs to be a profit center, this idea has been dismissed.

HMF

I just want to tell these people to go outside , read a book, Look at the stars in the sky, or admire great art or architcecture, The whole world is not a giant spreadsheet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom