Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Pixiedustmaker

Practical reasons???? Like what?

Logistically it is an easy fit.

Practical Reasons why Carsland wouldn't work as well in Orlando:

1. Rockwork radiates heat. The humidity in Orlando makes summers worse there, than in Anaheim.
2. Carsland has little shade, another issue given the climate in Orlando
3. RSR uses an upgraded TestTrack system. Sure, they could build a new headliner E-Ticket, build it indoors . . . but at that point you're talking a development budget for something which would be totally new though still called "Carsland", might as well go into blue sky mode and come up with the best attraction/land, instead of trying to make Carsland work in Orlando.

Logistical issues with Carsland at DHS.

1. DHS pulls in about 10 million a year, far more than the 5-6 million for DCA 1.0. Demolition of existing attractions, no matter how rundown, would put a strain on the park.
2. For such a construction project to be "seamless" at DHS, and provide de novo guest space, it would probably have to be built in the parking lot. A parking structure could be built for DHS, as this has been mentioned by Reedy Creek.

But yes, these are logistical issues DCA didn't have, Carsland (the first and possibly only Carsland to be built in US), was built on a parking lot . . . furthermore, this was area in DCA that was an expansion pad when the park opened.

HMF

It's all about merchandising, Cars is Pixar's most profitable franchise.
Moychendising Moychendising, Where the real money from the movie is made.

YogurtMerchandising.JPG

Jeffxz

It takes a long time to put together a D23 convention . . . the parks and rec arena presentation wasn't dropped weeks ago, it was out of the mix at least half a year ago. Meaning, that the "leaker" who said there would be a big DHS announcement at D23 was doing something malicious against Disney, to get fans hopes up and then crush them against the rocks of despair, so to say.

Care to explain why the 2011 P&R presentation was changed from 90 minutes to 60 minutes within a week of the presentation? Shouldn't that have been figured out by may 2010?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

1. Rockwork radiates heat. The humidity in Orlando makes summers worse there, than in Anaheim.
3. RSR uses an upgraded TestTrack system. Sure, they could build a new headliner E-Ticket, build it indoors . . . but at that point you're talking a development budget for something which would be totally new though still called "Carsland", might as well go into blue sky mode and come up with the best attraction/land, instead of trying to make Carsland work in Orlando.

1. DHS pulls in about 10 million a year, far more than the 5-6 million for DCA 1.0. Demolition of existing attractions, no matter how rundown, would put a strain on the park.
2. For such a construction project to be "seamless" at DHS, and provide de novo guest space, it would probably have to be built in the parking lot. A parking structure could be built for DHS, as this has been mentioned by Reedy Creek.

But yes, these are logistical issues DCA didn't have, Carsland (the first and possibly only Carsland to be built in US), was built on a parking lot . . . furthermore, this was area in DCA that was an expansion pad when the park opened.

Carsland was built on a parking lot at DCA, but all the other construction in the park did put a strain on it and Disney did take some actions to try to mitigate that and still give people a reason to come to the park, for example Glow Fest/ElecTRONica. As the saying goes, if you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs. If DHS is not pulling it's weight, then I may be a work while decision to suffer some short term pain to come out with a better park in the end. You keep quoting the 10 million number but that doesn't tell us anything about how profitable the park actually is.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

You really have your negative pants on today.

Pixiedustmaker

Care to explain why the 2011 P&R presentation was changed from 90 minutes to 60 minutes within a week of the presentation? Shouldn't that have been figured out by may 2010?

Beats me, possibly a presenter cancelled. I can't see somebody cutting a whole presentation weeks before the convention though, presumably they've already budgeted out the space and worked out the schedule.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Beats me, possibly a presenter cancelled. I can't see somebody cutting a whole presentation weeks before the convention though, presumably they've already budgeted out the space and worked out the schedule.
When something is so carefully choreographed, as you suggest, then a presenter cancelling a presentation would simply be replaced by someone else to present the same presentation.

Lee

Adventurer
Ultimately, it is Bob Iger who would OK anything on the scale of a Carsland at DHS (which seems highly unlikely for logistical reasons), in discussion with the money men and the other higher ups. Hence, Disney has a corporate hierarchy. There is "approval process". Disney is not a bottom-up organization, it is top down. If Iger/the brass want to invest in DHS, after listening to presentations on where WDW is, and where it would like to go, then he'd probably come up with a target budget, in consultation with the financial folks. He's been to Carsland at DHS, is very familiar with it, and probably has opinions about a Carsland at WDW, based in part on the specifics of WDW's climate/customer base, etc. . .
All that is fairly accurate, and in no way negates the validity of what I said earlier. You act as if I'm implying that they are trying to go around Iger on the DHS project. They aren't. He will indeed have a major say in the plans.

Of course, the brass could tell WDI that they want to do something at DHS, and they'd task WDI to come up with a number of proposals. Even if WDI is working on a DHS-specific project, or a couple of them for presentation, the brass might decide that they want to invest the cash in something else.
Yes. The powers that be told WDI to begin working up plans for DHS. That was months ago. It is far beyond the point where they would spend the money elsewhere. Money is going to DHS. All that remains to be seen is how much, and exactly when.

Nonetheless, Iger has made clear his short-term intentions regarding WDW . . . Avatarland. Being a top-down corporation (what corporation isn't?), he tasked WDI to work with Cameron and come up with an Avatarland.
Absolutely irrelevant to the current discussion. Nothing would prevent both projects from moving ahead. In fact, as I hear it, if one has to take a back seat, it will be Avatar.

I never said anything about false info being intentionally posted.
Actually, you kinda are.
When I (or '74...or Martin...or lightbulb...or Articos, etc...) flat out state that there are major plans for DHS, and that they involve (potentially) both Cars and Star Wars...you immediately dismiss them as bogus rumors that we are spreading.

What I am saying is not open to interpretation. I am not spreading CM rumors. I am telling you what is.

Pixiedustmaker

Carsland was built on a parking lot at DCA, but all the other construction in the park did put a strain on it and Disney did take some actions to try to mitigate that and still give people a reason to come to the park, for example Glow Fest/ElecTRONica. As the saying goes, if you want to make an omelette you have to break some eggs. If DHS is not pulling it's weight, then I may be a work while decision to suffer some short term pain to come out with a better park in the end. You keep quoting the 10 million number but that doesn't tell us anything about how profitable the park actually is.

Actually, attendance does tell you a lot about how profitable a park is. Before DCA opens in the morning, the castmember schedules are set, the hours of operations are set, and the air conditioners in the stores will run irregardless of who comes that day.

If 10 million people show up over a year, that is more tickets purchased, more food bought, and more potential customers to buy stuff.

Let's look at the rough numbers and use a $100 ticket price:

1. DCA 1.0 . . . 6 million guests times say $100 admission, is $600 million.
2. DHS today . .10 million guests times $100 admission, is $1 billion dollars.

For DCA 1.0 to make-up its attendance shortfall when compared to DHS today, it would have had to "net" an extra $400 million from merch, after you factor in the cost of the merch.

Guests have to eat, even at DHS! Let's look at the numbers:

1. DCA 1.0 . . . 6 million guests times $50 per day on meals/snacks/beverages is $300 million.
2. DHS today . .10 million guests time $50 per day on meals/snacks/beverages is $500 million.

There is additional overhead with more food served, but you can see that higher attendance means more food sold, and more profit. Disney makes a killing off of Coke.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, attendance does tell you a lot about how profitable a park is. Before DCA opens in the morning, the castmember schedules are set, the hours of operations are set, and the air conditioners in the stores will run irregardless of who comes that day.

If 10 million people show up over a year, that is more tickets purchased, more food bought, and more potential customers to buy stuff.

For DCA 1.0 to make-up its attendance shortfall when compared to DHS today, it would have had to "net" an extra $400 million from merch, after you factor in the cost of the merch.

1. DCA 1.0 . . . 6 million guests times $50 per day on meals/snacks/beverages is $300 million.
2. DHS today . .10 million guests time $50 per day on meals/snacks/beverages is $500 million.

There is additional overhead with more food served, but you can see that higher attendance means more food sold, and more profit. Disney makes a killing off of Coke.
How many of the 10 million you are quoting paid $100? Most are on multiday passes. How many hop to another park or destination for dinner? If DHS only holds people's attention for half a day the best way to make it more profitable is to keep people there longer and while you are at it add in a merchandising machine like Star Wars or Cars (or both:))to boost merchandise sales. I'm pretty sure that's what the original post was all about. Why DHS needs to be rebuilt - from an economic standpoint.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The numbers are totally bogus. Due to Disney's pricing structure there is no way that Disney is earning $100 admission on each of the 10 million guests. The food numbers you are quoting are also best case. If a person enters the park, then leaves in two hours, then DHS may get zero meal dollars from them. People could also come in and just buy quick serve instead of sit down. They could enter the park and ignore the gift shops. The point is that the 10 million attendance number is only a small part of the picture. I am not try to make the case either way for how well DHS is doing, but I am saying that we do not have access to the information needed to make that case.

Pixiedustmaker

All that is fairly accurate, and in no way negates the validity of what I said earlier. You act as if I'm implying that they are trying to go around Iger on the DHS project. They aren't. He will indeed have a major say in the plans.

Not only a major say, but veto power.

Yes. The powers that be told WDI to begin working up plans for DHS. That was months ago. It is far beyond the point where they would spend the money elsewhere. Money is going to DHS. All that remains to be seen is how much, and exactly when.

That's a pretty big assumption. WDI has worked on and off on projects for *years* and they haven't gotten the green light. There is an audition phase, we're the plans are mulled over by the brass, obviously given the tenor of speculations, it seems that the work is mostly blue sky as of this point.

I'm perfectly comfortable saying that from sources I trust, WDI is working on a Star Wars land. Future location to be determined.

Absolutely irrelevant to the current discussion. Nothing would prevent both projects from moving ahead. In fact, as I hear it, if one has to take a back seat, it will be Avatar.

Money, budget . . . always relevant. Especially in the corporate world.

When I (or '74...or Martin...or lightbulb...or Articos, etc...) flat out state that there are major plans for DHS, and that they involve (potentially) both Cars and Star Wars...you immediately dismiss them as bogus rumors that we are spreading.

What I am saying is not open to interpretation.

LOL, yes the "what I am saying is not open to interpretation" goes well with the "Obey".

What you are saying is open to interpretation, discussion, dismissal as possibly a false rumor spread by somebody at Disney as it is posted on an internet forum before official announcements have been made.

The talk on this board was that there was going to be a major announcement at D23 . . . then we hear some rumors which are very blue sky. There is a gigantic chasm between blue sky work and presenting something at a convention. I guess they could have made an Avatar like announcement with a picture of McQueen . . . they seem happy to do that, but the project doesn't seem to have the green light.

wdwfan4ver

Sorry, Your $50 per days on meals/sneaks is wrong for DHS.

My younger brother and I went to DHS last year. We were able to go inside the parks for 10 days last year with park hoppers.

All we had at DHS was 2 cupcakes at Starring Rolls as a snack. The last time I check, buying 2 cupcakes doesn't cost $50.00 unless they are made out of gold. I know a couple off line that didn't spend $50.00 on food at DHS either.

Pixiedustmaker

The numbers are totally bogus. Due to Disney's pricing structure there is no way that Disney is earning $100 admission on each of the 10 million guests.

Well, it was just a theoretical bit of number crunching meant to demonstrate to you that the number of guests entering a park do matter in terms of finance. I'm not talking about net profits here either, but a lot of the cost of running a theme park is baked into the pie, though the number of people who show up fluctuates with interest, the economy.

The point is that the 10 million attendance number is only a small part of the picture. I am not try to make the case either way for how well DHS is doing, but I am saying that we do not have access to the information needed to make that case.

If DCA had gotten 10 million guests its first year, it would have been *losing* the resort money after 9/11. With more attendance comes more $ from ticket prices, from food purchases, from merch. buys. So, no, park attendance is a "snap shot" of how a park is doing financially and more guests (up to capacity) means more profits, plain and simple. If somebody pays $100 bucks to stand in lines and $5 for a Coke, Disney makes money.

I think we do have good information when you look at the attendance numbers. DHS has a lot of restaurants, and they sell merchandise. Do guests buy less merch. because they don't like it that Backlot needs an upgrade? I doubt this would have a major impact.

I've been to Carsland, and . . . the last time I was there they had generic merch on the shelves. It's not like people are spending hundreds per person on merch and this is why Carsland was built . . .

Pixiedustmaker

Sorry, Your $50 per days on meals/sneaks is wrong for DHS.

My younger brother and I went to DHS last year. All we had at DHS was 2 cupcakes at Starring Rolls as a snack. The last time I check, buying 2 cupcakes doesn't cost $50.00 unless they are made out of gold. I know a couple off line that didn't spend $50.00 on food at DHS either.

Maybe. It was, of course, just a theoretical amount. But there are a lot of sit down restaurants at DHS.

I think we all would agree that more guests equals more people who will potentially, and very often, buy meals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom