Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

DocMcHulk

Dude, you don't know what Disney is about to do to this park, or the Star Wars IP in general. The merchandise opportunities Disney will be creating with this expansion are not gonna be available at your local Wal-Mart. And they are a hell of a lot more exciting than trying to peddle the same Muppet merchandise that Disney has been selling for close to 20 years in the back corner of a badly attended Studio park.

If the Muppets end up staying in DHS, hooray. I like having an empty air conditioned theater to sleep in whenever I go adventuring about the deserted backlands of DHS on a weeknight. Or maybe when Star Wars Land opens it will be full of guests again holding time tickets for all the new attractions Disney built next door. Who knows.

But the relative value of Muppets against Star Wars, which will without question be Disney's flagship IP in five years? They are a side show.

You could make an argument that a rejuvenated park (with Carsland and Star Wars land) would increase the popularity of everythign in the park... including Muppets. Let's be honest, backlot is dead, Streets of America are a novelty, and LMA has lost popularity. There isnt much drawing people to the area where the muppets are.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, but Disney's Hollywood Studios implies that the park is celebrating all aspects of Hollywood, from the historic streets to movie production. With the movie production aspect missing, it just seems like Disney's 1/2 of Hollywood Studios.

But the movie production portions have already been eviscerated with the back lot tour just running through areas that just are the parks normal maintenance (which could be any park) with Catastrophe Canyon haphazardly tossed in and all the animation being moved to either in Cali or off shore. Osborne lights is the only thing that brings that area to life other than the show time crowds for the auto show.

Goofyernmost

I agree, especially since I really dislike AIE and wouldn't want the Muppets to be gone forever. Also, if GMR and the Muppets do become a "land" together it wouldn't hurt to add an extra ride...
American Idol is on it's last legs anyway. Disney would be wise to let that one go. Once there is no TV program there really is no reason to have Idol in the park. I would think that they were always aware that if it got canceled it would instantly kill the need for it in DHS. They should have learned that lesson from "so you want to be a millionaire". Maybe they will have Boo-Boo beauty pageants for kids still in diapers. Course they would have to be thong style diapers. It never to early to begin exploitation.:p

CDavid

Okay then, tell me where. Yes, many of the props were from the Osbourne home in Arkansas, but that's a tiny fraction of what has been created since it came to DHS.

There is no place else in WDW, besides maybe Main Street at MK (and that ain't happening!) that could house it. No place even close.

There are plenty of locations in Walt Disney World where the Osbourne lights could be incorporated. Really all you need are house and/or building facades to hang the lights on, and even if you have to assemble "shell" structures just for the lights that shouldn't be incredibly expensive even for Disney.

Hmm, if only WDW had a winter-themed park, maybe one that wasn't too busy during the cold (holiday) months of the year, or was even closed for refurbishment anyway...

WDWDad13

I still think Osbourne lights would be awesome in Disney Springs - this would bring more people to DS at night for sure during the holiday's

another option... let's put Christmas lights on the tree of life LOL! ok sorry... just visualized and that would be funny

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just listened to the latest episode of Rebel Force Radio and here is the information they provide. Note that they don't reference the Theme Park Insider article and thier info is a little different from what is said in that article.

Thier source says:

- Star Wars land will expand into cast parking lot behind Star Tours and parking garages will be built.
- Part of a 5 year expansion plan for DHS, AK and DTD.
- Pixar presense expanding into Muppet Courtyard.

Not going to judge whether this info is accurate or not, just thought I would throw it out there since they aren't just regurgitating what the Theme Park Insider article said unlike a lot of other sites.

DsnyFevr

I also stand behind my original idea that the Muppets attraction should be rethemed to a Muppets Star Wars mashup 3D experience.
The mashup merchandise is in place, the location and theming is in place and it appeals to a broad audience.
Disney has just recently started the revitalization of the Muppet franchise. Why on Earth would they want to eliminate that connection?
I think this would be the greatest, I love the Muppets in Star Wars gear.

FrankLapidus

Thier source says:

- Star Wars land will expand into cast parking lot behind Star Tours and parking garages will be built.
- Part of a 5 year expansion plan for DHS, AK and DTD.
- Pixar presence expanding into Muppet Courtyard.

Not going to judge whether this info is accurate or not, just thought I would throw it out there since they aren't just regurgitating what the Theme Park Insider article said unlike a lot of other sites.

Pixar Place and Muppet Courtyard are separated by Streets of America so if there is anything in this particular rumour then you would imagine that changes would be coming to SOA. Like you say there's no way to know whether or not any of this is accurate right now but I think an expanded Pixar presence that is not Cars-centric and uses other Pixar properties would be a big improvement on DHS's current offerings.

Disneybear

Also, after watching YouTube videos of Carsland at DCA and having visited the Cars wing at Art of Animation, I don't really see why it would make good sense to have two versions of Radiator Springs at WDW (AoA and DHS).

The Grand Floridian is themed to Main Street, The Poly is themed to Adventureland and the Contemporary to Tomorrowland, so there is no reason for them not to build a Cars themed area in the park if that is what they choose to do.

WDW95

In all seriousness, I think us fans are just looking for something wrong with DHS so we can get a major two-land expansion. In reality, DHS is not as bad as DCA 1.0. A whole new, expensive, land expansion is probably not necessary to drive attendance up as much as we wish it was.

Disney probably really only needs to add a new family coaster to get new people in the park. To make it a more well rounded experience they could probably add a family, Fantasyland-style darkride. By adding these two rides I think it would drive people to DHS. Look at Toy Story Mania and how many people it brought to DHS.

Thematic-wise and from a crowd control standpoint, the only areas that could use some remodeling are the back half of the park from the Backlot tour entrance until the Premiere Theater. I think the NY Street is fine from a thematic standpoint but they really need to add a ride to fill up the empty facades. Build a Fantasyland-style darkride or family coaster in the premiere theater to bring people to that empty area of the park and extend the architecture. Continue Pixar Place to the other soundstage and build a family coaster or Fantasyland-dark ride or a river rapids/EMV boat ride themed to UP or Incredibles.

LMA, in my opinion, is a fun show and maybe for people who visit the parks frequently shows get boring but for the first-timers and visitors who come once every couple of years, I think it is a great show and actually continues the theme. The Backlot Tour can still survive granted they make severe changes and add new scenes/projections/sets/effects.

toasty

Has there been any intel provided (or even edducated guesswork) as to WHEN we might see construction walls going up and things going away at DHS? Have never seen the Osbourne lights, was hoping to see them this December when we're down there.

spacemt354

Chili's
In all seriousness, I think us fans are just looking for something wrong with DHS so we can get a major two-land expansion. In reality, DHS is not as bad as DCA 1.0. A whole new, expensive, land expansion is probably not necessary to drive attendance up as much as we wish it was.

Disney probably really only needs to add a new family coaster to get new people in the park. To make it a more well rounded experience they could probably add a family, Fantasyland-style darkride. By adding these two rides I think it would drive people to DHS. Look at Toy Story Mania and how many people it brought to DHS.

Thematic-wise and from a crowd control standpoint, the only areas that could use some remodeling are the back half of the park from the Backlot tour entrance until the Premiere Theater. I think the NY Street is fine from a thematic standpoint but they really need to add a ride to fill up the empty facades. Build a Fantasyland-style darkride or family coaster in the premiere theater to bring people to that empty area of the park and extend the architecture. Continue Pixar Place to the other soundstage and build a family coaster or Fantasyland-dark ride or a river rapids/EMV boat ride themed to UP or Incredibles.

LMA, in my opinion, is a fun show and maybe for people who visit the parks frequently shows get boring but for the first-timers and visitors who come once every couple of years, I think it is a great show and actually continues the theme. The Backlot Tour can still survive granted they make severe changes and add new scenes/projections/sets/effects.

I disagree. Out of all the parks in WDW, DHS is the park in need of the most help. It's not us fans just looking for something wrong with the park. There are needs to be addressed.

First off, DHS only has 6 ride-able attractions. Actually, 5 1/2, since the Backlot tour has been cut down over the years. And out of those rides, there are really only 2 (GMR and Backlot) that the whole family can enjoy. (TSMM has 3D and that affects some people) Yet to be fair, there are some great shows. I think BatB and Indy are some of the best. However, having such a small amount of rides creates long lines (see TSMM) and congestion.

On top of this, you have a rival movie theme park down the highway building expansion after expansion, e-ticket after e-ticket, while TDO simply sits back and lets the competition get closer. It would be a waste potential when you purchase one of the greatest, most popular franchises of all time in Star Wars, and do nothing new with it. And when you have a popular family addition at your disposal in Carsland (or a version of it) and other valuable Pixar films to base attractions around and do nothing with it, then I don't know what to say.

DHS is not DCA 1.0, but it's the closest thing to it in terms of wasted potential and thematic ineptitude.

RSoxNo1

1. We don't know that this Niles person got his info from anywhere. His job is to publish interesting fan news and get people to his website. I don't trust somebody just because they have a website.

2. @pheneix made comments about hoping that the controversial thread would smoke out what Disney has planned for DHS.

3. Insiders, even if truthful, can be mistaken, can "leak" info that is misinterpreted as fact, rather than "I overheard somebody at WDI talking about x, y and z."

4. The leaked "plans" are pretty amazing . . . considering all three of them are exactly what fans have been postulating, and that some of them face steep logistical issues. It is very doubtful that Disney would embark on all three of these projects. Seems more likely a fan, somewhere has said, "I want something for DHS, publish it that EVERYTHING will happen, and maybe Disney will relent and have to say, Well . . . we aren't going to do all of A,B, and C . . . but we will do B. Or maybe another insider will perk up and confirm C but not A and B.

5. Proponents give the appearance of distorting the situation with DHS, at least so far as making claims that run counter to recently published info. Suggesting that there is a coverup at Burbank, that Iger is lying . . .

6. The rumors have kinda shifted around a bit. And, of course it is emphasized that these are just "plans", but also strongly implied, by Niles and others, that this is it. This is what Disney secretly plans on doing and it has the green light.

7. The insiders were clueless about NFL, and were clueless about the Star Wars acquisition.

8. There were rumors probably over half a year ago regarding Carsland at DHS, I was told that bulldozers would be seen within months and folks were very angry that I basically said, "not so fast." Well, don't see them yet. I can see somebody saying, "well, you'll be pleasantly surprised", but the rumor mill folks seem very upset when I don't buy what they're selling. If it is just a rumor they are passing on, why all the angst?
New Fantasyland was leaked around this time in 2009, a few months before the D23 Expo. Niles has proven himself as having good sources in the past. Yes, his article reads a bit like re-hashing old rumors but I don't believe that's the case here.

RSoxNo1

Agree.

The acquisition was top secret, only Iger's top people knew. I doubt WDI was actively working on StarWarsland. The point of the Star Wars acquisition isn't primarily to have a StarWarsland, but to make a boat load of money on the films and with merchandizing. If it takes maybe 2 years of design work . . . plus there is the issue of timing. If after Episode VII in 2015 they announce a start date for construction, I think that would maximize public interest. Not that that is much of an issue, every fan and CNN will be reporting Star Wars land . . . Potterland got a lot of mainstream media coverage.
Also, not true. Jim Hill mentioned that it was happening several months before. He didn't know the time frame but I had mentioned it on here after Jim Hill mentioned it on my old podcast. I think @Lee and @WDW1974 would also make the case that they too knew that conversations were taking place.

So, to steal some lines out of your playbook. Just because @Pixiedustmaker says it on the internet, it doesn't make it true.

spacemt354

Chili's
4. The leaked "plans" are pretty amazing . . . considering all three of them are exactly what fans have been postulating, and that some of them face steep logistical issues. It is very doubtful that Disney would embark on all three of these projects.

What are these logistical issues you speak of?

PhotoDave219

Has there been any intel provided (or even edducated guesswork) as to WHEN we might see construction walls going up and things going away at DHS? Have never seen the Osbourne lights, was hoping to see them this December when we're down there.

None. Nothing has been greenlit, approved or budgeted for yet

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's also a section for armchair imagineering which is where a lot of the rampant speculation actually belongs.
If I posted this rumor as my idea I would totally agree with you that is where it belongs. This particular rumor started on another site by someone with a bit of a track record who claims it came from inside sources. Then known members of this board Lee, 74, Articos, etc confirmed they are hearing at least some of the same things. Plans change all of the time so who knows if any of this will actually get done, but its well beyond armchair imagineering at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom