Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

RSoxNo1

What are we thinking for Pixar expansion other than TSPL?

Cars seems to have lost momentum. Monsters Inc is a little too late other than maybe a M&G and relocated Laugh Floor. Finding Nemo already has a show at AK and a pavillion in Epcot. Bug's Life has a show in AK. Toy Story will get a couple flat rides. Brave fits in MK better. Inside Out is being prepped for an Epcot pavillion replacement.

That leaves...
The Incredibles (could see DL's Marvel E-ticket being rethemed to Incredibles for WDW)
Ratatouille (ride in Paris is a bit of a dud... plus the movie isn't that popular)
WALL-E (fits better in Tomorrowland or Future World)
Up (perfect to reskin the HITSK play area with)

Cars will probably get something anyways, but what else do we think they'll do?
I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing announced for DHS is a version of Toy Story Playland. It doesn't necessarily mean that another Pixar ride isn't happening or that Star Wars Land isn't happening, just going with what I expect. It sounds like this is going to be the presentation for major Disneyland announcements.

Cesar R M

Honestly - I enjoyed 7DMT more than either E ticket Potter ride. I admit it is much less ambitious but I think it is more fun. I guess it is the screen/simulator thing. Unfortunately the next E ticket at Disney will also be screen based. Rip Ride Rockit is another story - best Orlano addition in a long time IMO.
considering the huge wait times and how short the 7dmt is.. I disagree with you.

Cesar R M

I know it comes across that way, but I don't think you'll find many people that mean "thrill rides". For example, folks like myself would be happy if we just got more rides like PotC, HM, etc. - or nothing more "thrilling" than, say, Dinosaur.

As far as Universal, I don't really consider Spidey a thrill ride - nor Transformers, really. They simulate motion, but they have a wide audience once you hit the height requirement (which is decently low on those rides). Like, my mom has severe back problems plus hates coasters, but she has a blast on Spiderman or even Dinosaur. It all really depends on your level of "thrill".

In a real sense, at least compared to other parks in general (including Six Flags, etc.) Disney doesn't have any *real* thrill rides, really, other than Everest maybe just because of overall stats/drops. It's variable - to some Soarin' is a thrill ride, but 80 year olds love it, too. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. But on the "Disney thrill scale" - I don't think you'll find most folks need Disney to push that any more.

Primarily, we are talking about breadth, and theming, in cohesive, moving attractions. How fast they move isn't really a barometer you'll find many even measure here when it comes to how much we like an attraction. If anything, if you really were measuring most of the crowd here, you'd find that the higher up on the "thrill" scale a ride goes actually can be a negative at some point.

That's why you see such praise of Universal from so many of us who are long time theme park fans. We became Disney fans because we love theme parks. Disney used to be the unquestionable king of theme park attractions. No one even approached their level of theming or immersion. Things that make you go WOW that have moving vehicles that don't really go faster than a brisk walk.

That's what Universal is doing now, just that they are doing it on more "thrilling" attractions (though since Kong is in a truck, that one seems a bit more family friendly). Personally, I wish Forbidden Journey hadn't been a Kuka - it limits the folks that can ride it. Or if there was a different riding option (another 2nd type of ride vehicle available). That said, the Kuka arm really is a great experience and very appropriate - though as the central attraction I've always thought it was more because of their 10-year exclusive contract they used it than anything else.

Gringotts is one of those...yeah, it's a thrill ride, but it's not crazy...I think most folks are able to handle it. There are non-coaster fans who can ride it. I think folks have more tolerance for a) the simulator aspect vs. strict coaster and b) when it really fits the theme so well.

So, TL;DR? It's not so much thrill rides (though we don't need everything "toddler appropriate" either) but HOW they do the rides that we are envious about right now.
speaking of kuka arms.
I was googling for images of the ride system for forbidden journey. and they have these gigantic rounded screens.. but theres some equipment in the lower part.. the screens move with the kuka arm right?

ToTBellHop

I wonder what the box office will be for this movie. This could become the next Finding Nemo.
It will likely perform phenomenally. But, even with the runaway success that Frozen was, it took Disney awhile to respond, and even yet they have not made a substantive attraction for the property. Disney is no longer ambitious enough to commit to attractions based upon films prior to seeing if they are successful.

Kman101

I think Frozen is that rare case. I mean, other movies have performed very well. Look at Big Hero 6. *crickets chirp* I don't want to see people get hopeful for an attraction even if the movie does amazingly well. Unless they can cheaply shoehorn it somewhere and that's the Epcot motto anymore, so ... maybe there is a chance. LOL. They have several perfect spots for it. I could see it replacing Figment. Unfortunately. I'd rather they didn't and it was a 3D movie instead. Didn't they used to have a theater that looked like you were in someone's head ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It will likely perform phenomenally. But, even with the runaway success that Frozen was, it took Disney awhile to respond, and even yet they have not made a substantive attraction for the property. Disney is no longer ambitious enough to commit to attractions based upon films prior to seeing if they are successful.

Or even AFTER they are a runaway success, TWDC would rather collect licensing fees for cheaply made junk sold at Wal-Mart.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
speaking of kuka arms.
I was googling for images of the ride system for forbidden journey. and they have these gigantic rounded screens.. but theres some equipment in the lower part.. the screens move with the kuka arm right?
As mentioned, the domes (screens) do move. There's five screens on each carousel that constantly rotate in sync with the arms. One arm pops its bench in the dome, then moves in a circle in sync with the dome. The arm (on its moving base) is static but the bench has limited motion. Then the arm behind does the same, and the one behind that, and the one "at the front" pulls out its bench at the end of the sequence and continues on its way.

A very hi tech version of the original Imaginations "turntable" scene.

Cesar R M

As mentioned, the domes (screens) do move. There's five screens on each carousel that constantly rotate in sync with the arms. One arm pops its bench in the dome, then moves in a circle in sync with the dome. The arm (on its moving base) is static but the bench has limited motion. Then the arm behind does the same, and the one behind that, and the one "at the front" pulls out its bench at the end of the sequence and continues on its way.

A very hi tech version of the original Imaginations "turntable" scene.
As an engineer, I always loved to check the details.
I seen some of the videos of when the attraction "breaks" down.. amazing to see all the tech and the huge kuka arms holding people.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As an engineer, I always loved to check the details.
I seen some of the videos of when the attraction "breaks" down.. amazing to see all the tech and the huge kuka arms holding people.
It is stunning.

We were lucky to board from the VIP station and witnessed a ride stop. Waiting at the switch from VIP we were "behind" the regular ride path and could see the kukas in all their glory, more so when they started full motion again, passing in front of us as we waited for a gap to slot into.

Brer Panther

I don't understand why they wouldn't use Monsters Inc more. Putting in the door coaster or a copy of one of the dark rides from elsewhere makes sense to me.

What ever happened to that door coaster idea, anyway? I remember hearing about it...

Why not Up? Bug's Life is in AK, and Up doesn't have an attraction anywhere in WDW.

Ride and Go Seek, relocated Laugh Floor, 2 TSPL flats, a Cars dark ride, an Up retheme of the HITSK area, and an Incredibles E would be about perfect for a Pixar expansion.

I think they should get rid of It's Tough to Be a Bug. What does it accomplish besides making people (myself included) terrified of insects (I'm okay with the cartoony bugs like Flik, but realistic ones, no thank you)?

And I think the lineup you came up with would make for a nice PIXAR Place. I imagine the Cars ride and Ride and Go Seek would probably have pretty long lines, though...

Why do I have always say the most obvious thing?

themed bathrooms

Maybe the ones near Ride and Go Seek could be themed to the bathroom where Mike fell in the toilet![/QUOTE]

mahnamahna101

I think they should get rid of It's Tough to Be a Bug. What does it accomplish besides making people (myself included) terrified of insects (I'm okay with the cartoony bugs like Flik, but realistic ones, no thank you)?

And I think the lineup you came up with would make for a nice PIXAR Place. I imagine the Cars ride and Ride and Go Seek would probably have pretty long lines, though...
[/QUOTE]

They could always increase capacity for both... 2,000-2,500/hr should be the goal for both. Same for an Incredibles E. They can't afford another headliner with TSMM/RnRC-esque capacity.

I'd rather see Finding Nemo - The Musical moved to DHS than Bug. Because TDO won't replace It's Tough to Be a Bug if it's removed. Theater of the Wild would at least get a replacement of some kind.

Plus, if they do a Muppets mini-land, Star Wars Land, fix up the GMR and do some placemaking for Sunset, I don't think either of those two rides will get TSMM-level lines. Maybe 70-80 minutes during peak season instead of 120-180 like TSMM.

odmichael

I don't think Disney owns any properties that could replace It's Tough to be a Bug even if they wanted to replace it. The only thing that could maybe work there would be an Avatar show. But I don't see this park turning into Avatar Kingdom.

RayTheFirefly

I don't think Disney owns any properties that could replace It's Tough to be a Bug even if they wanted to replace it. The only thing that could maybe work there would be an Avatar show. But I don't see this park turning into Avatar Kingdom.
Why couldn't it be an original attraction? Not IP related.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom