Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

doctornick

Well as you said, park revenue and park attendance are strongly tied to each other. In order to reach the scenario I was postulating, DHS would have to either flatten out attendance or decrease over the next few years. I don't think those numbers would meet Disney expectations.

Attendance has been flat for a while; doesn't seem to have spurned Disney into any sort of substantial action.

spacemt354

Chili's
Attendance has been flat for a while; doesn't seem to have spurned Disney into any sort of substantial action.
Actually it's been trending upwards ever so slightly. And that's really my main point. Unless something takes a big drop or is completely flat compared to the other 3 parks slightly increasing over the next few years, you're going to keep the status quo and the process of expansion/refurb of the park will be elongated over time.

Unplugged

Actually it's been trending upwards ever so slightly. And that's really my main point. Unless something takes a big drop or is completely flat compared to the other 3 parks slightly increasing over the next few years, you're going to keep the status quo and the process of expansion/refurb of the park will be elongated over time.

Ah yes, the old Chinese theme park philosopher Mr. Status Quo. I heard the Disney bean counters have him tied up in a broom closet and use his predictions for everything they do these days.

cheezbat

Everybody please stop going to DHS. I skipped it this year. If we all do it the turn style clicks will drop subststancially and maybe we'll finally see some investment back into this park.

;)

I love Tower of Terror. I really enjoy the Indy stunt show, Star Tours and Rock N Roller coaster, but I'm not about to give Disney my money for this park. It's become a major joke and currently my least favorite park in central Florida.

We've got to take a stand...even if its hard to skip on your vacations, do it. We will all be rewarded for it down the road.

AdventureHasAName

And that's my biggest complaint with people stating that since they are closing so much, it is now only a half day park. They've never had tons of rides, and the only "ride" that has closed in the last 4 years is the Backlot Tour, which should have been closed long ago. So if it was OK 5 or even 10 years ago with the rides it already had, why isn't it OK now, with all the same rides???

Because it is missing several attractions that made the park feel like a working studio:

Backlot Tour
Monster Sound Show
Superstar Television

The sweet-spot was Summer 1998, when you still had the Monster Sound Show and Superstar Television. By the next summer, you had lost them both, but gained the Aerosmith ride and Fantasmic. On paper, most people would say "great trade" ... but when the park stopped pretending it was a working studio, it lost 80% of its charm (99% of the rest of its charm disappeared with the BAH).

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

Well if you take a look at the past attendance numbers, even before LMA (I believe in 2005?), they aren't that much different than what they are today. They were around 8-9 Million.

I think the only way Disney is going to kick it into gear is if a Uni park passes DHS. Which at the current rate, might be about 4-5 years, which based on the timeline of rumors around here, seems to be the time when Pixar/Star Wars will be almost finished or complete.

The real question is, will a Uni park pass DHS before that point while these things are under construction? That will be interesting to see.
If 2021/2022 is the time the good stuff opens (Star Wars Land and a Pixar D/E), I definitely think at least ONE Universal Orlando park will pass DHS in attendance according to TEA numbers. Most on OU and other insiders are saying Universal Orlando's parks have already passed DHS and DAK. DHS really gets 7.5-8 million/yr, so by official TEA numbers, both UO parks are around DHS already.

By 2019, one of the two should pass DHS. Because by 2019, Indy should be gone. LMA will be gone. GMR could potentially close down for either a major upgrade or a replacement. B&TB could go down either as a cost-cutting measure or for a Moana/Tangled replacement. Same for Mermaid. Muppets might close down for an upgrade at some point - or replacement.

For 2018/2019, DHS' lineup could very well be:
  1. Star Tours
  2. Jedi Training Academy
  3. Frozen Sing-a-Long
  4. HITSK play area
  5. TSMM
  6. One Man's Dream
  7. Disney Junior Live on Stage
  8. Tangled and Moana replacements (likely cheap) for Mermaid/B&TB
  9. RnRC
  10. ToT
With only 7 attractions appealing to someone over the age of 8, I don't see how DHS won't noticeably decline in attendance. And with the lineup Universal Orlando has going, plus more hotels and an immersive water-park, I don't see how they won't continue to go up.

USF - 9.1 million
IOA - 8.4 million
DHS - 9.9 million

USF - 9.5 million
IOA - 9.0 million
DHS - 9.8 million

USF - 10.3 million
IOA - 9.7 million
DHS - 9.7 million

USF - 11.4 million (Nintendo grand opening, F&F and Fallon spillover)
IOA - 10.5 million (Avengers E-ticket?)
DHS - 9.5 million

USF - 12.2 million (MoM plus Nintendo spillover)
IOA - 11.2 million (Avengers spillover plus something new for IOA)
DHS - 9.4 million (TSPL should open this year, so a mild decline)

USF - 12.7 million (MoM spillover, something in the MIB/Springfield plot?)
IOA - 12.0 million (something major for IOA?)
DHS - 9.2 million (calm before the storm)

USF - 13.2 million (spillover)
IOA - 12.5 million (spillover)
DHS - 10.6 million (Star Wars Land)

By 2021, it'll be too late. USF and IOA should both be either equal with or ahead of DHS. AK and Epcot aren't really achievable currently. MK is never happening.

googilycub

Tomorrowland could have been so much more but even the trailers gave us no reason to WANT to go, Just a creepy tram car on a dark background with a bewildered kid, Some eye candy and a girl with a pin. As a failure it's amazing It had GEORGE CLOONEY for crying out loud and he was not in ANY of the trailers, It's a modern day Ishtar.

Here are trailers 1, 2, and 3. George was in all of them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sH0__SpV88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNzukD8pS_s

AdventureHasAName

We only had 2 trailers and one of them had no george.
so I suppose it changes country by country, area by area?

I think it more likely changes according to what product the trailer is attached to. People watching Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel get the kid-centric no-Clooney trailer. People watching network TV after 9 PM, on the other hand, will get Clooney-centric commercials.

The Walt Disney Company does a lot of things right. But they are the absolute worst at marketing their non-animated films; just the worst. And a good portion of the reason is that they get too cute with the micro-targeting.

flyerjab

Soooo, getting back to why DHS is being rebuilt/rebranded. I have been thinking about this, and in a best case scenario, let us say that DHS gets the full Star Wars, Pixar, and whatever else treatment. I know that there was some rumor not too long ago indicating that Disney was supposedly talking to some architect/designer about potential new resorts. If DHS were to ever be made into the park that it could be, is it possible that a resort could be built anywhere near that park that has some type of Hollywood theme? Has that ever been thought of as a possibility?

Bairstow

Soooo, getting back to why DHS is being rebuilt/rebranded. I have been thinking about this, and in a best case scenario, let us say that DHS gets the full Star Wars, Pixar, and whatever else treatment. I know that there was some rumor not too long ago indicating that Disney was supposedly talking to some architect/designer about potential new resorts. If DHS were to ever be made into the park that it could be, is it possible that a resort could be built anywhere near that park that has some type of Hollywood theme? Has that ever been thought of as a possibility?

Where would they put it, though?
The southwest parking lot?

spacemt354

Chili's
Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin, and Yacht/Beach Club are all within walking distance of the studios.

I can't see them building another hotel in that area when so many already have an ideal location.

OvertheHorizon

I suggested previously that Disney should build a Star Wars themed hotel (in addition to what might be planned for a Star Wars Land) and place it across World Drive from DHS - then connect the hotel to that park with a People Mover. I made the point that while a Star Wars land might want to have a "Cantina" it would be better located in the lobby of a Star Wars themed hotel, which would permit late night hours versus a park that is usually closed by 9 p.m. (depending on seasons).

OvertheHorizon

I've always thought a theatre in the back of the UK in EPCOT that had 3 or 4 showings of Mary Poppins daily (a 38 minute long theme park version with all the big songs) would be nice.

I have a book about Epcot that was published in 1982. In its description of the UK pavilion it noted potential future plans for a "music hall" to be built at the rear of the pavilion. Mary Poppins is an enduring Disney legacy and would be perfect in that location.

doctornick

Or, I suppose, a Star Wars theme potentially. There's "developable" space on the other side of World Drive. I thought a great idea would be a SW hotel there (different areas themed to different worlds) which had transport/a ride (like a train or monorail) that went over World Drive and took you into DHS' Star Wars land. It could work like the monorail at DL where you can only get on at DTD with park admission.

You kind of have a "Hollywood theme" with All Star Movies. Pop Century also draws a little on that.

El Grupo

JMO, I suspect Disney will simply follow a similar plan for DHS as was used for DCA: work in the park will be done in stages over a 5 - 6 year period and new/refurbished attractions will open throughout that time. In that scenario, the largest addition (hopefully a Star Wars land) and park re-dedication would be completed at the end of the redo.

I believe Marni shared things are still moving slowly behind the scenes and Articos mentioned something about a good deal of progress should be made with Avatar over the next six months. With the MK hub work nearing completion and Disney Springs wrapping up in 2016, it sounded like more attention could be shifted in the months ahead to DHS.

There again, I may have just misinterpreted some of the insiders' comments.

Magenta Panther

Everybody please stop going to DHS. I skipped it this year. If we all do it the turn style clicks will drop subststancially and maybe we'll finally see some investment back into this park.

;)

I love Tower of Terror. I really enjoy the Indy stunt show, Star Tours and Rock N Roller coaster, but I'm not about to give Disney my money for this park. It's become a major joke and currently my least favorite park in central Florida.

We've got to take a stand...even if its hard to skip on your vacations, do it. We will all be rewarded for it down the road.

I understand and sympathize with what you're saying...but I don't know if your plan will work. I've been skipping AK for the last 5 years, and Disney still hasn't put Beastly Kingdomme in it. :( ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom