Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

pheneix

Original Poster
Hmmm. Define "normal." I think we are at a new normal.

I know our family is doing well, but I know of many that aren't. Many things, including people's spending habits will never go back to the way they were pre-meltdown.

Agreed. There is a "new" normal in America and I don't know a SINGLE person in my social circle here in Orlando who has even half the quality of life my friends in Holland enjoy, no matter what profession they hold.

EDIT: I would also extend that analysis to professionals I know who work in themed entertainment in Southern California drawing substantial salaries. American society is always inventive with new and exciting ways to rip its citizens off.

GiveMeTheMusic

I was a little shocked when I saw that DL was open every day until midnight in early June. I don't know if DL is always open late but I was impressed. Of course, I'm easily impressed.

Disneyland does 8am - 12am every day during the Memorial Day to Labor Day period every year, and has for quite some time. The rest of the year (outside of peak periods), the parks are open 10am - 8pm, sometimes 9pm, on weekdays, and with closings later on the weekends. I do wish DCA would stay open past 10pm during the summer - would love to do some midnight attraction runs there!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Agreed. There is a "new" normal in America and I don't know a SINGLE person in my social circle here in Orlando who has even half the quality of life my friends in Holland enjoy, no matter what profession they hold.

EDIT: I would also extend that analysis to professionals I know who work in themed entertainment in Southern California drawing substantial salaries. American society is always inventive with new and exciting ways to rip its citizens off.

This. I work in a professional office and I deal with CEOs, executives, and lots of "higher ups" all day long. This ...whatever you want to call it- has taken a hit on everyone, not just the bottom rungs of the ladder. Most people I know aren't nearly as "comfortable" as they were prior to the collapse. It's not just the (dwindling, nearly extinct) middle class, or lower class (and getting lower every day) but folks who used to consider themselves the upper crust have come to the realization they are just stale bread like the rest of us.

There's definitely a "new normal" in play. And it's not pretty.

lazyboy97o

I wasn't trained to say that phrase, either, not that I would have used it if I had been trained. It's an annoying phrase, and a simple "Have a nice day" is fine. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I was not trained either, I just knew it worked on some people. I was asked to say "We hope you return soon" which I thought only made the "Sell! Sell! Sell!" atmosphere worse.

The Empress Lilly

"Have a Magical day" was the company approved way of saying " off"
* gets paranoid, rethinks all those times 'friendly' employees wished a magical day
paranoid.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom