Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

aladdin2007

I would also wonder what has been, and is, going on in entertainment. Disney killed the only parade it had at the Studios as well as a Disney Channel based live show. Two more shows in that park will go dark by early next year with no replacements announced yet. DAK's parade will end its run after the Christmas holidays. Again, no replacement.

Let's also not forget that one reason NGE was supported by the BoD were the 'savings' in labor that were sold on tech replacing bodies. At some point, the system is going to go live beyond simply selected test groups/resorts.

Oh, and then there's the cutback in hours. MK already has gone to a 9-11 schedule for the summer vs. The traditional midnight closings. Add in four hours of EMH gone and you have 11 hours in labor savings in just one park.

I'm not sure jobs are going to be cut in any major numbers, but people will see reductions in hours and likely be moved around.

Entertainment does seem to be going down the drain, all that mentioned plus spectros demise, plus I wont even start on the mulch sweat group whatever its called that cant even sing and sounds like something at your local street bar festival, on that gorgeous dhs stage..(anymore at dhs I dont feel like Im on disney property sometimes).:rolleyes: I think entertainment, whats left, (oh and the limited 90s gangsta, whatever you want to call it stage show at epcot) is the worst its ever been right now, the new mk day parade will be nice next year but they cant just rely on that can they, well looks like they will be.

BigThunderMatt

Oh, and then there's the cutback in hours. MK already has gone to a 9-11 schedule for the summer vs. The traditional midnight closings.

And they've had to extend park hours at least once a week since the beginning of June which clearly indicates that their desire to cut labor by reducing park hours takes a back seat to the 'x' amount of attractions being experienced by guests in a day not being reached which is why park hours get extended in the first place.

I would bet by next year we'll be back to midnight closes.

Clamman73

And they've had to extend park hours at least once a week since the beginning of June which clearly indicates that their desire to cut labor by reducing park hours takes a back seat to the 'x' amount of attractions being experienced by guests in a day not being reached which is why park hours get extended in the first place.

I would bet by next year we'll be back to midnight closes.

Today has been extended to midnight...

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Stupid question. But if price of admission wasn't so high, wouldn't you think people would spend more at the parks themselves?

As I'm figuring out how I'm going to vacation next year (stop laughing, brain!) I can't help but feel that the almost $100/day bite is... a rather big bite. And to make up for that, a much smaller spending budget on food/merchandise. If it only cost $50 for park tickets that would free up more money for in-park purchases.

Crazy talk, I know. My brain hurts.

I seriously doubt it, the parks would just be a bit busier and result in longer lines. If they priced tickets at $50, you would have a lot more people in the parks and they would most likely be guests who do not spend $$$ the way a guest willing to fork over $100/day is. But, we purchased APs this year at around $720ea, went for 14 days last Christmas, will be going 10 days in a week and another 14 right before Christmas or 38 days in a single year. That averages out to less than $20/day and is very inexpensive as far as I am concerned.

Also, if you have $100/day to spend it is cheaper for Disney to get it up front and not have merchandise/food costs added to their expenses to get $100 from you.

hull327

I seriously doubt it, the parks would just be a bit busier and result in longer lines. If they priced tickets at $50, you would have a lot more people in the parks and they would most likely be guests who do not spend $$$ the way a guest willing to fork over $100/day is. But, we purchased APs this year at around $720ea, went for 14 days last Christmas, will be going 10 days in a week and another 14 right before Christmas or 38 days in a single year. That averages out to less than $20/day and is very inexpensive as far as I am concerned.

Also, if you have $100/day to spend it is cheaper for Disney to get it up front and not have merchandise/food costs added to their expenses to get $100 from you.
I agree. The people who are going to buy merchandise have most likely made that decision already and budgeted for it. Those who have decided to not buy typically are going to be suddenly convinced there's something there they have to have. On our most recent trips my daughters had been saving Christmas/birthday money for their trip. They had been putting it into our "Disney Envelope" and the two of them had scraped together like $350. We surprised them when we got to the park that they don't have to pay for their own vacation and they can use the money they saved how they liked. That $350 was spent and when it was gone there was no more merchandise spending.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I agree. The people who are going to buy merchandise have most likely made that decision already and budgeted for it. Those who have decided to not buy typically are going to be suddenly convinced there's something there they have to have. On our most recent trips my daughters had been saving Christmas/birthday money for their trip. They had been putting it into our "Disney Envelope" and the two of them had scraped together like $350. We surprised them when we got to the park that they don't have to pay for their own vacation and they can use the money they saved how they liked. That $350 was spent and when it was gone there was no more merchandise spending.
We do the same thing with our children, we also spread out the part we give them to daily doses with Disney Dollars and if they want something that costs more than they have that day, they have to save a couple days to pay for it. It also gives them a little extra time to think about it without us having to force the issue.

asianway

I don't think he was being flippant, just factual. Sometimes, the facts suck ...Hell imagine if the USA devoted the trillions of dollars it is using on spying on as many people on the planet as possible and put them into healthcare, job creation, education, infrastructure. We really might be the No.1 nation on Earth.

Reality does suck ...but it beats moving to O-Town and starting a blog and living in theme parks six days a week. Now, what were we talking about?
Cutting back on ops hours and affecting the guest experience when the bloat in the office buildings go unscathed sucks more

Cardinals314

It seems like that all of the cuts Disney is trying to pull off now is to get ready for the cost of the new additions coming. You can say that cutting the parades and hours doesn't save that much in Disney's standard, but if Disney is planning to spend a lot of money after spending so much on MyMagic+ they want to start saving some money by some means

NoChesterHester

It seems like that all of the cuts Disney is trying to pull off now is to get ready for the cost of the new additions coming. You can say that cutting the parades and hours doesn't save that much in Disney's standard, but if Disney is planning to spend a lot of money after spending so much on MyMagic+ they want to start saving some money by some means

I think you are reaching. Any cost cutting that will occur is based on lower revenue.

The reality is that while the economy is "better" most people really aren't. Pay has just about frozen for the past couple years and the cost of living is increasing.

Rodan75

I think you are reaching. Any cost cutting that will occur is based on lower revenue.

The reality is that while the economy is "better" most people really aren't. Pay has just about frozen for the past couple years and the cost of living is increasing.

While a large share of Americans and folks world wide are still struggling, the large majority of folks are back to normal.

I think like most problems this is a mix of factors; European economy, Brazillian political unrest, 7DMT / Diagon Alley opening 2014 and possibly even the Boston Bombings are keeping folks away.

NoChesterHester

While a large share of Americans and folks world wide are still struggling, the large majority of folks are back to normal.

I think like most problems this is a mix of factors; European economy, Brazillian political unrest, 7DMT / Diagon Alley opening 2014 and possibly even the Boston Bombings are keeping folks away.

Hmmm. Define "normal." I think we are at a new normal.

I know our family is doing well, but I know of many that aren't. Many things, including people's spending habits will never go back to the way they were pre-meltdown.

Skibum1970

Extending sometimes... Even a lot... Is still less hours than the regular hours which would have been every day

I was a little shocked when I saw that DL was open every day until midnight in early June. I don't know if DL is always open late but I was impressed. Of course, I'm easily impressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom