Why Have People Put Up With Disney So Lazy and Cheap?

eliza61nyc

And who says they haven't actually cut staff to recoup more of their revenue as profits?
oh absolutely. I'm not saying that they don't buy any means and I am definitely not dismissing anyones concerns.
My point is how I think most folks would think in a specific situation. I'm not one to equate 1 instance to a decline in quality. if I every time I went into a park bathroom and it was filthy, yea maybe but I've never had that happen. I've seen the guest in action, throwing crap on the floor without even bothering to pick it up, I've unfortunately gone behind guest who do not even bother to make sure the toilet flushed and left a calling card.

That's all,

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
who says they are not hiring the extra staff? at any given point in time you can be the unlucky guest to follow behind a bunch of pigs. or are you saying they should hire an person for each individual bathroom. sort of like in the theater where there is a restroom attendant?

that's a question, I have absolutely no idea how disney's staffing works at all.

Years ago there used to be dedicated restroom attendants. As noted on this very board by various insiders they were replaced by a computer scheduling and dispatching system which sends area custodial staff to a restroom on a periodic basis.

jakeman

Years ago there used to be dedicated restroom attendants. As noted on this very board by various insiders they were replaced by a computer scheduling and dispatching system which sends area custodial staff to a restroom on a periodic basis.
This, as always, is not entirely accurate. Points I guess for trying to blend fact and fiction?

While in some high traffic area there may be more dedicated custodial staff, I can say with certainty that "years ago" they were not assigned a specific bathroom.

Furthermore, it sounds like you are referencing the Cast Deployment System. I'd be surprised if the system that is used to rotate staff for breaks was also responsible for monitoring the cleanliness of restrooms, but I won't challenge that point as I, unlike you, am not willing to speak with expertise on a subject matter I'm not versed in.

eliza61nyc

Thanks Ford,
I remember that whenI was a little girl in NYC at the theater on Broadway. Haven't seen it in years. Never saw it at Disneyworld.
That must have been nice.

Let's play nice Jakemen He was trying to answer a question I threw out. When you're a repeat visitor a lot of stuff gets jumbled

jakeman

Thanks Ford,
I remember that whenI was a little girl in NYC at the theater on Broadway. Haven't seen it in years. Never saw it at Disneyworld.
That must have been nice.
You never saw it at Disney World because it did not exist. In the past there may have been more custodians that allowed for more frequent bathroom checks, but they weren't routinely assigned specific bathrooms to stand in.
Let's play nice Jakemen He was trying to answer a question I threw out. When you're a repeat visitor a lot of stuff gets jumbled
I understand that, but he is more than willing to knowingly answer your question with falsities.

Unfortunately, he does not, and should not, get the benefit of the doubt that his response is inaccurate because his past experiences were "jumbled".

Sadly, he is as untrustworthy as he is prolific on these boards.

Dutch Inn '76

Please show me any post where I stated or even remotely hinted that I was "upset" about anything having to do with 7DMT?

You asked me several times to provide proof that Disney could have "done better" with this attraction. I provided the proof you asked for. I was not out to prove that 7DMT is a bad attraction (which is the continued defensive stance you take), but to merely show that better plans existed. Your response continues to be based upon emotion as you now "wish" that the very proof you asked for never existed.

LOL. Again, what you showed us is that Disney had a shorter (probably cheaper) option that they didn't take - and a longer (probably more expensive) option that they didn't take. They compromised on something in the middle. Don't you think this happens with almost every attraction they design? I'm sure that imagineers look at countless options before they settle on a final product; one that they are happy with, and they hope we are happy with. ...but then some folks aren't gonna be happy with anything.

eliza61nyc

You never saw it at Disney World because it did not exist. In the past there may have been more custodians that allowed for more frequent bathroom checks, but they weren't routinely assigned specific bathrooms to stand in.

I caution you to trust @ford91exploder's perspective and supporting "facts" as they are often fabricated.

Its all good. I think my main point is that so much is so subjective. Ive been going regularly since ill say 2001 and don't see these drastic declines but everyone has their sweet spot.

jakeman

Its all good. I think my main point is that so much is so subjective. Ive been going regularly since ill say 2001 and don't see these drastic declines but everyone has their sweet spot.
Just to be clear, I edited that post to collapse two duplicates. Didn't want anyone to think that I was purposefully manipulating my post.

To your point, you are very correct! I've maintained the theory that your first time was your best time and it's downhill from there as you become more familiar and are able to notice details more. Many folks discount the effect nostalgia has on their memory. Others are simply here to troll. :D

Dutch Inn '76

Just because you don't see problems doesn't mean they don't exist...

Maybe just step back from the conversation and be happy that you are blissfully unaware to all of the issues people are pointing out. I'm sure it makes for a much nicer trip.

...and just because you see a trashed bathroom doesn't mean a systematic problem exists. Of course I've seen dirty tables, toilets, etc, at WDW. I've seen them in the '80s, '90s, and right up to last month. For the most part though, the place is relatively spotless compared to other similar venues. I marvel at how they keep it so clean, when tens of thousands of sloppy, entitled people are everywhere.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
LOL. Again, what you showed us is that Disney had a shorter (probably cheaper) option that they didn't take - and a longer (probably more expensive) option that they didn't take. They compromised on something in the middle. Don't you think this happens with almost every attraction they design? I'm sure that imagineers look at countless options before they settle on a final product; one that they are happy with, and they hope we are happy with. ...but then some folks aren't gonna be happy with anything.
Lol, again, you are shifting the topic to avoid the fact that you were wrong. I never said 7DMT was a bad attraction. I never said NFL was bad either. I said they could do better, to which you repeatedly ask me to prove it.
All I've asked you to do is justify your criticism, yet you can only say "they can do better." ???
You say they could have done better - but you have yet to tell me how.
I knew the track layout plans existed, so before I showed you the proof you desperately needed I asked if additional scenes and a longer track would have made it better, to which you responded, "theres no room", because you were so sure that I had nothing to "prove it". Below is the post.
Where would the "several more show scenes and much longer track" be placed? There's no more room!
Once I provided you with "the glue that holds your world together", aka "the proof", instead of a simple "thank you", you decided to shift the topic to the process of decision making for attractions. And look at the last sentence of your most recent post which says, "some folks arent gonna be happy with anything". You still refuse to remove your emotional attachment to the attraction and instead keep lashing out and defending it when it was never necessary to begin with. I asked you to show me where at any point I stated 7DMT was a bad attraction, which you have completely ignored, which I understand, because you cant. If you continue to put the current state of WDW on the highest pedestal possible, then perhaps you should familiarize yourself a bit more with the company itself and the history of the Parks and Resorts instead of making claims such as TGMR hadnt had a line for 20 years.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Ive been going regularly since ill say 2001 and don't see these drastic declines but everyone has their sweet spot.
I wouldnt say there have been drastic declines. It has been more of a pigeon holing effect. Smaller things here and there have slowly (very slowly) started to be more noticeable. I will give them credit though as it feels (I hope Im right) that they are starting to mend things. Lots of refurbs at the resorts which I think are very well done (Yacht Club in particular), Customer Service and CM's have gotten much better and they are finally paying more attention to the parks. I may not agree with some decisions, but I have made my peace with it and found that there are ways to enjoy it, i.e Frozen Ever After and riding with my young niece who enjoyed it very much (even though she liked Maelstrom too, lol). I may be a Doom and Gloomer, but I still love WDW very much and have wonderful vacations with my family. And as proof of this claim I am happy to announce that we recently became DVC members/owners.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep, no one remembers a mildly grumpy ice cream stand cashier or a bathroom being dirty from a Disney trip when they were a kid.

People think Disney used to be perfect, but a lot of this stuff has always been there. As far as I can remember restrooms/eating areas have always been mildly dirty by normal standards but remarkably clean when you consider the massive numbers of people that use them every day. You have always found the occasional grumpy CM but they are still overwhelmingly the most polite employees you'll see at a theme park.

When you have been visiting for 30 years, No WDW was never 'perfect' but it was a HELL of a lot better than the dumpster fire we call WDW today. Wear and tear is inevitable in any public facing facing facility however the differentiator is maintenance, Disney used to be proud of and even advertised the fact that they would replace lightbulbs when they reached 80% of their rated lifespan, Now we see strings of dead lamps which remain so for months and years, Filthy Lighting fixtures filled with dead insects.

Decay in the 'pre-Iger' years never USED to be obvious to the casual observer, It certainly is today.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldnt say there have been drastic declines. It has been more of a pigeon holing effect. Smaller things here and there have slowly (very slowly) started to be more noticeable. I will give them credit though as it feels (I hope Im right) that they are starting to mend things. Lots of refurbs at the resorts which I think are very well done (Yacht Club in particular), Customer Service and CM's have gotten much better and they are finally paying more attention to the parks. I may not agree with some decisions, but I have made my peace with it and found that there are ways to enjoy it, i.e Frozen Ever After and riding with my young niece who enjoyed it very much (even though she liked Maelstrom too, lol). I may be a Doom and Gloomer, but I still love WDW very much and have wonderful vacations with my family. And as proof of this claim I am happy to announce that we recently became DVC members/owners.

Sorry to hear about the DVC ownership, After years of membership we sold ours last year could not stomach the continuing decline in resort maintenance and increasing member fees. Really thought hard on simply defaulting on member fees rather than finding a sucker to buy our DVC, However could not stomach GIVING anything of value to Disney even less.

Dutch Inn '76

Lol, again, you are shifting the topic to avoid the fact that you were wrong. I never said 7DMT was a bad attraction. I never said NFL was bad either. I said they could do better, to which you repeatedly ask me to prove it.

I knew the track layout plans existed, so before I showed you the proof you desperately needed I asked if additional scenes and a longer track would have made it better, to which you responded, "theres no room", because you were so sure that I had nothing to "prove it". Below is the post.

Once I provided you with "the glue that holds your world together", aka "the proof", instead of a simple "thank you", you decided to shift the topic to the process of decision making for attractions. And look at the last sentence of your most recent post which says, "some folks arent gonna be happy with anything". You still refuse to remove your emotional attachment to the attraction and instead keep lashing out and defending it when it was never necessary to begin with. I asked you to show me where at any point I stated 7DMT was a bad attraction, which you have completely ignored, which I understand, because you cant. If you continue to put the current state of WDW on the highest pedestal possible, then perhaps you should familiarize yourself a bit more with the company itself and the history of the Parks and Resorts instead of making claims such as TGMR hadnt had a line for 20 years.

*Sigh* Again, you provided no proof that anything would have been better with the one longer version you showed me. Again, you showed me only that Disney considered shorter and longer versions, settling on one in the middle. If Disney had selected the longest track, the ride would be about 12 seconds longer, with more twists and turns. Would that make it "better"? I have no idea, and neither do you. It might have made it less "family friendly." More than likely it wouldn't have made any difference at all.

My whole point in bringing this up to start with was that NFL (and Pandora) were great additions, after someone else said that Disney hasn't expanded the parks. You then disagreed. In my opinion you are holding Disney to an impossible standard, and you will continue to be disappointed.

Let's end this already! I'm tired of arguing with miserable people. I look forward to going back to WDW and enjoying myself.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
*Sigh* Again, you provided no proof that anything would have been better with the one longer version you showed me. Again, you showed me only that Disney considered shorter and longer versions, settling on one in the middle. If Disney had selected the longest track, the ride would be about 12 seconds longer, with more twists and turns. Would that make it "better"? I have no idea, and neither do you. It might have made it less "family friendly." More than likely it wouldn't have made any difference at all.

My whole point in bringing this up to start with was that NFL (and Pandora) were great additions, after someone else said that Disney hasn't expanded the parks. You then disagreed. In my opinion you are holding Disney to an impossible standard, and you will continue to be disappointed.

Let's end this already! I'm tired of arguing with miserable people. I look forward to going back to WDW and enjoying myself.
You are clearly stuck on some type of anger an bargaining phase in terms of this subject.

When did I ever disagree that Disney has not expanded the parks? You continue to put words in my mouth and have yet to show me any proof that I said such things. A straw man fallacy is your only hope?

And the original longer track version had additional show scenes that would have made the attraction much more than "12 seconds" longer and I fail to see how additional track (the very same type of track the ride has now) could have possibly made it "less family friendly". And as usual you end your post with strong emotions and call everybody "miserable".
I look forward to going back to WDW and enjoying myself.
Are you trying to convince us, or yourself?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Sorry to hear about the DVC ownership, After years of membership we sold ours last year could not stomach the continuing decline in resort maintenance and increasing member fees. Really thought hard on simply defaulting on member fees rather than finding a sucker to buy our DVC, However could not stomach GIVING anything of value to Disney even less.
No need to apologize as we are very excited. Considering that it now costs appx $20+ per night to park at a deluxe, we will at least save that money which will defray 30-40% of the maintenance fees. Even then, our contract will allow 15-20 nights per year which is roughly the amount of nights we already visit per year and the annual fees are a small fraction of what we currently pay for AP rates or renting DVC.

DVC isnt for everybody, but after doing the math, it works for us. WDW had a long slump but it feels as if things are on the rise. The resorts are getting very nice refurbishments (IMO) and customer service has gotten much better for the most part. You cant expect every trip to go off without hitch, even though some people her claim they never have any issues even with the magic bands, lol.

Ive been visiting WDW since 1988 when I was a child and even though there have been many ups and downs and the current executives dont know theme parks from a can of paint, I still get excited when we drive under the arches and even more excited when I walk into our resort room and turn on the Must Do's with Stacey. The park icons are my old friends and seeing Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life and the Castle each visit fills my heart with just as much joy as it did when I was ten years old. I will never give up on my relationship with WDW. It is more to me than rides and parades. It is a member of our family. You dont give up on family.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No need to apologize as we are very excited. Considering that it now costs appx $20+ per night to park at a deluxe, we will at least save that money which will defray 30-40% of the maintenance fees. Even then, our contract will allow 15-20 nights per year which is roughly the amount of nights we already visit per year and the annual fees are a small fraction of what we currently pay for AP rates or renting DVC.

DVC isnt for everybody, but after doing the math, it works for us. WDW had a long slump but it feels as if things are on the rise. The resorts are getting very nice refurbishments (IMO) and customer service has gotten much better for the most part. You cant expect every trip to go off without hitch, even though some people her claim they never have any issues even with the magic bands, lol.

Ive been visiting WDW since 1988 when I was a child and even though there have been many ups and downs and the current executives dont know theme parks from a can of paint, I still get excited when we drive under the arches and even more excited when I walk into our resort room and turn on the Must Do's with Stacey. The park icons are my old friends and seeing Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life and the Castle each visit fills my heart with just as much joy as it did when I was ten years old. I will never give up on my relationship with WDW. It is more to me than rides and parades. It is a member of our family. You dont give up on family.

Prior to 2012 I said DVC is the best investment I ever made and we joined when you got length of stay passes for the parks during a stay on points, we were charter members at 2 resorts so yeah we LOVED DVC!

2012 and on was the beginning of a series of DVC related vacation snafu's (mild term inserted - real feelings would be unsuitable for a family board) that we found completely unacceptable.

I had 800 points across 7 contracts. It takes a lot to make me quit on anything but Disney managed it, It started with Disney losing the second half of a split stay during the hotels converting from the old system to LILO (thank god for Southwest) and got worse from there.

Through it all was the attitude of 'what do you expect me to do about it'. And that stems directly from TDO's disempowerment of the front line CM/Manager to actually fix things because while the guest expects the CM in front of them to be able to fix an issue in reality that decision needs to be punted to a 'senior' manager who does not want to be bothered with low level administrivia in addition to their regular duties.

As to family when they are addicted to drugs and constantly wanting money without earning it, Yeah you do cut them off from further contact and give up on them.

Yeah for 30 years WDW was my 'happy place' sadly corporate greed has left that feeling 'null and void'

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Holding Disney to a higher standard would be like:

-Wanting Chevrolet to create a great race car with the new Corvette ZR1
-Holding high hopes for Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2 game
-being excited for the future of the new Tesla electric cars
-Anticipating the greatness that would be Christopher Nolan's next movie

Ridiculous, right!?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom