Why Have People Put Up With Disney So Lazy and Cheap?

Dutch Inn '76

Justification you seek? No problem. Below is an image of the original layouts for 7DMT. The green is the original version, blue is the second and the orange is the final layout. The darker sections on each layout were the indoor sections that were to house additional scenes.
View attachment 276945

Yes, they could have absolutely done better and here is the poof you seek. I think this image was originally posted by @marni1971 or Lee . Also posted by @MerlinTheGoat in another thread.

So this is what you're so upset about? ...over nothing. By my quick measure, the first version is about 57 "units" long. The second is about 46 long, and the final version is about 51 units long. The final version above leaves off the scene at the end, so it looks like the last two have two scenes, and the first one has three. Agreed, a third scene would be nice, but the overall theming of the ride is great, so that's no big deal. At first glance it looks like they considered a long track and a short track, then compromised on one in the middle. Is that surprising? Cheap? Disappointing? No. I'll bet that every ride in the park has a similar story. ...and who knows why these decisions are made... Maybe for budget, maybe for ride "intensity," maybe for height.... who knows? I do know that all things must have a budget.

I wish that the folks inside wouldn't leak this kind of stuff. Maybe the worriers could stay a little happier then.

Dutch Inn '76

Oh come come now. You're telling me you haven't seen any problems within Disney whatsoever?

Have you even stood in Innoventions for at least 15 minutes?

YES. There's a problem with Future World. I get the feeling that they don't know what the heck to do with it. At this juncture, I don't know what the solution is either. I don't want IP based attractions, but in their defense it looks like that's all that draws sometimes. Epcot was built at the end of the time when people were fascinated with "the future." Disney seems to think that time is over. Are they right? Probably, but I'm not sure. They sure are betting a lot on that notion.

I DO NOT see a problem with cleanliness, or CM effectiveness, or food. All of that is as good as I've ever seen it.

eliza61nyc

Oh come come now. You're telling me you haven't seen any problems within Disney whatsoever?

Have you even stood in Innoventions for at least 15 minutes?

One thing KB and this is just a thought guys, I'm not trying to speak for anyone. Is that "problems" can be a relatively broad term. For example, one of the big comments I hear is about food quality and how it's gone down. Now for me, I can honestly say I have not had any horrible meals in a while and the meals that are bad have been at places that have been notoriously bad for a while. example Tony's town square.
So my last trip in August our meals have run from average (chain restaurant quality) to really good (we love via napoli). now here's the thing, has the food quality gone down from say 1990? don't know, I can't remember my meals from that long ago to join in on this complaint. what I do know is last August we ate really well. the Boathouse was a stand out. So once again, I can't empathize with all the complaints about food going down since 19XXXX. lol, I've got 3 kids, you're lucky if I can remember their names on any given day, I have been known to call a kid by the dogs name.

I will agree 100% that it is more crowded, but once again, is that a problem? not for us. we make use of Fp effectively and we have never not been able to ride the majors at least twice. I don't notice 180 minute wait times because never in my life have I waited that long for anything inside or outside of Disney and I never plan to. so again this is a complaint that I can't join in.

If there is one problem I have, it's with the upcharges, who likes having to pay for what use to be free but again it's always my choice if I want to do those things or not and I find the upcharges are experiences that I tend to do once and that's enough. this year I'm doing Wild Africa trek. I've heard it's pretty good. I've also done the MK dessert party, it was ok but we wouldn't do it again. mainly because we'd rather get ice cream than any type of pastry.

For some of us our vacations are pretty simple. Did we have a good time? was my room clean and functioning? were we able to do the things we planned on?

so not saying anyone is wrong with feeling what they feel, it's just some of us don't sweat the same things. I could care less if the pirates are stealing or auctioning. I could care less if the marvel universe is coming to the parks, really could care less then zero if the voice on the animatronics has changed.

KBLovedDisney

One thing KB and this is just a thought guys, I'm not trying to speak for anyone. Is that "problems" can be a relatively broad term. For example, one of the big comments I hear is about food quality and how it's gone down. Now for me, I can honestly say I have not had any horrible meals in a while and the meals that are bad have been at places that have been notoriously bad for a while. example Tony's town square.
So my last trip in August our meals have run from average (chain restaurant quality) to really good (we love via napoli). now here's the thing, has the food quality gone down from say 1990? don't know, I can't remember my meals from that long ago to join in on this complaint. what I do know is last August we ate really well. the Boathouse was a stand out.

I will agree 100% that it is more crowded, but once again, is that a problem? not for us. we make use of Fp effectively and we have never not been able to ride the majors at least twice. I don't notice 180 minute wait times because never in my life have I waited that long for anything inside or outside of Disney and I never plan to. so again this is a complaint that I can't join in.

If there is one problem I have is the upcharges, who likes having to pay for what use to be free but again it's always my choice if I want to do those things or not.

For some of us our vacations are pretty simple. Did we have a good time? was my room clean and functioning? were we able to do the things we planned on.

so not saying anyone is wrong with feeling what they feel, it's just some of us don't sweat the same things. I could care less if the pirates are stealing or auctioning. I could care less if the marvel universe is coming to the parks, really could care less then zero if the voice on the animatronics has changed.
You make a good point. Yes, it is a broad look at it because what might be a problem to you might not be one to me. In my own Disney World traveling experiences, I have witnessed not so great CM interactions and tasted the lower quality of food which have been at the restaurants that are normally higher priced. But, that is in my own experience. Other people might have lucked out and never had gotten a bad CM interaction or bad food quality. Good for them though. I have also had bad CM interactions as well. I guess it is merely the luck of the draw.

a) You have a great trip(s) with little to zero issues or b) Something happens and deters your views of certain experiences versus what they were like before.

It honestly happens everywhere, not just in Disney.

eliza61nyc

You make a good point. Yes, it is a broad look at it because what might be a problem to you might not be one to me. In my own Disney World traveling experiences, I have witnessed not so great CM interactions and tasted the lower quality of food which have been at the restaurants that are normally higher priced. But, that is in my own experience. Other people might have lucked out and never had gotten a bad CM interaction or bad food quality. Good for them though. I have also had bad CM interactions as well. I guess it is merely the luck of the draw.

a) You have a great trip(s) with little to zero issues or b) Something happens and deters your views of certain experiences versus what they were like before.

It honestly happens everywhere, not just in Disney.

I have seen bad CM, but I admit I do have a soft spot for folks working in customer service. lol, I worked the 34st Macy's for 2 years including 2 Christmases. Sweet Lord.

Here's my totally off topic true story, I had one customer who reported me because I would not model some bras for her. she wanted to buy some bras that were on sale for her daughter who evidently was my size but wanted to see what they would look like. excuse me!!, when I politely refused she got mad and called for the store manager to report the terrible customer service. lol. Now that was easy 40 years ago when I was about 19 and when stores really had sales associates but no way no how was I going to model my skivees.

I'm more of a "consistently" type personality, and the problem with Disney meals is that realistically I'm not there enough to tell if it's a slide in quality or simply an off night. If it were my local Italian restaurant it would be a little easier because I'm there often but how do I tell when I go to via napoli maybe once every 2 years?? it's hard.

I hear ya though, eating out is usually a big part of everyone's vacation, it sucks when you get a lousy meal.

KBLovedDisney

I have seen bad CM, but I admit I do have a soft spot for folks working in customer service. lol, I worked the 34st Macy's for 2 years including 2 Christmases. Sweet Lord.

Here's my totally off topic true story, I had one customer who reported me because I would not model some bras for her. she wanted to buy some bras that were on sale for her daughter who evidently was my size but wanted to see what they would look like. excuse me!!, when I politely refused she got mad and called for the store manager to report the terrible customer service. lol. Now that was easy 40 years ago when I was about 19 and when stores really had sales associates but no way no how was I going to model my skivees.

I'm more of a "consistently" type personality, and the problem with Disney meals is that realistically I'm not there enough to tell if it's a slide in quality or simply an off night. If it were my local Italian restaurant it would be a little easier because I'm there often but how do I tell when I go to via napoli maybe once every 2 years?? it's hard.

I hear ya though, eating out is usually a big part of everyone's vacation, it sucks when you get a lousy meal.
200w.gif

I mean.... o_O Just wow.

I too worked in retail and I have been cussed out for not giving a customer a $5 refund for something she got for free.

I think everyone should be required to work a retail job at least once in their life so they can experience what it is like on the other side, for sure.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I did vote with my wallet. I skipped WDW last trip in fact. Went on a Disney Cruise. Soo... sorta voted for Disney still, but not for the parks!

The consumer is being lured (demand is increasing) for multiple reasons. Marketing being one. And global marketing being another. WDW has become a global destination and as such has seen demand skyrocket. And it is still a bargain. Too much of a bargain.

Contrary to what some say, it is not all that expensive if you look at it on an hourly entertainment basis. 168 hours at WDW only costs about *$9 an hour. That includes airfare, lodgings, and food. On par with a movie, show, zoo, or aquarium.

* Family of 4 trip, $6000. $1,500 each. 1 week 168 hours. $1500/168 = $8.93 hr ea.
I love the per hour analysis. It's the exact message I try to convey when I talk about Disney being a great value for non-stop entertainment. Not sure you should include sleeping as part of the week, but even assuming 12 hours/day for fun is still only about $18/hr.

jloucks

I thought that was standard at all high end stores?

maxresdefault.jpg

Rich Brownn

I just don't see any of these problems. There is no noticeable difference in cleanliness in the parks since I've been paying attention (1980s), and the landscaping is drastically improved since then. There's no "steep decline" in service. Rundown resort rooms? Where?? I've stayed at the Polynesian and Caribbean Beach in the past three months, and they were both in fine shape.

I think that people remember things better than they were from their younger days and tend to forget the bad and mediocre things.
I walked into a restroom... not even a busy day... and there was TP and stuff all over the floor, and 3 of the stalls... lets just say unusable.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So this is what you're so upset about?
Please show me any post where I stated or even remotely hinted that I was "upset" about anything having to do with 7DMT?

I wish that the folks inside wouldn't leak this kind of stuff. Maybe the worriers could stay a little happier then
You asked me several times to provide proof that Disney could have "done better" with this attraction. I provided the proof you asked for. I was not out to prove that 7DMT is a bad attraction (which is the continued defensive stance you take), but to merely show that better plans existed. Your response continues to be based upon emotion as you now "wish" that the very proof you asked for never existed.

HouCuseChickie

I just don't see any of these problems. There is no noticeable difference in cleanliness in the parks since I've been paying attention (1980s), and the landscaping is drastically improved since then. There's no "steep decline" in service. Rundown resort rooms? Where?? I've stayed at the Polynesian and Caribbean Beach in the past three months, and they were both in fine shape.

I think that people remember things better than they were from their younger days and tend to forget the bad and mediocre things.

Just because you don't see problems doesn't mean they don't exist. The sharpest declines we've seen have been over the last 5-10 years, so I hardly consider that as a nostalgia issue. You also have to consider that in the case of a resort, if someone stays in a resort that's in need of a refurb before Disney gets to it...they're likely to have a far different experience and opinion than someone who stayed there after it got some love. Short of putting you in the women's restroom so you can see the shameful level of filth at multiple points in the day, or putting you in a resort room that's in desperate need of new mattress/carpet/moulding/caulking/paint/bathroom fixtures/furniture/lighting/tile, to putting you face to face with some of the CMs we've encountered who lack the skills/personalities to be in client facing positions...there's nothing I can do to help you grasp this.

Maybe just step back from the conversation and be happy that you are blissfully unaware to all of the issues people are pointing out. I'm sure it makes for a much nicer trip.

TheDuke

Yep, no one remembers a mildly grumpy ice cream stand cashier or a bathroom being dirty from a Disney trip when they were a kid.

People think Disney used to be perfect, but a lot of this stuff has always been there. As far as I can remember restrooms/eating areas have always been mildly dirty by normal standards but remarkably clean when you consider the massive numbers of people that use them every day. You have always found the occasional grumpy CM but they are still overwhelmingly the most polite employees you'll see at a theme park.

eliza61nyc

Just because you don't see problems doesn't mean they don't exist. The sharpest declines we've seen have been over the last 5-10 years, so I hardly consider that as a nostalgia issue. You also have to consider that in the case of a resort, if someone stays in a resort that's in need of a refurb before Disney gets to it...they're likely to have a far different experience and opinion than someone who stayed there after it got some love. Short of putting you in the women's restroom so you can see the shameful level of filth at multiple points in the day, or putting you in a resort room that's in desperate need of new mattress/carpet/moulding/caulking/paint/bathroom fixtures/furniture/lighting/tile, to putting you face to face with some of the CMs we've encountered who lack the skills/personalities to be in client facing positions...there's nothing I can do to help you grasp this.

Maybe just step back from the conversation and be happy that you are blissfully unaware to all of the issues people are pointing out. I'm sure it makes for a much nicer trip.

I wonder though can you justify this as a decline. A hotel cannot stay brand spanking new every day. How would you accomplish this? Every year a new better flat screen tv comes out. do you attempt to every year update your furnishings to stay current? so eventually every hotel on the planet is going to need a refurb. lol, the Ritz paris closed it's doors totally for 4 years in 2012 to do it's rehab to the tune of 450 million dollars. (my late husband was from Europe, we went to Paris a lot). Can you imagine the freaky deaky meltdown people here would have if the Polynesian closed for even 4 months to do a refurb.

Now you are right, if unfortunately someone stays at a resort that is last to get the makeover they may have a different experience but does that mean that there is a "problem"? lol, look at the complaining about the construction at Coronado Springs. just throwing a different way of looking at it.

For me it's not that I am "blissfully" unaware, I simply take things with a grain of salt. I've worked in customer service so if I encounter an grumpy cm I don't automatically think Disney is going down hill, I ignore them and move on. Have I encountered folks with less than sunshiney attitudes? of course. Have I encountered tons and tons of them to notice a pattern? No. never. Are you saying you've been on trips where everyone was unprofessional? One idiot desk manager for me means just that, he's a moron.

If I encounter a bathroom stall that is unusable due to waste, I don't think Disney is going downhill, personally I think some guest have absolutely no home training and should not be allowed out in public. with 50,000 people going through magic kingdom every day and with the entitled, self absorbed nature of people today, I am always surprised it's as clean as it still is.

drizgirl

If I encounter a bathroom stall that is unusable due to waste, I don't think Disney is going downhill, personally I think some guest have absolutely no home training and should not be allowed out in public. with 50,000 people going through magic kingdom every day and with the entitled, self absorbed nature of people today, I am always surprised it's as clean as it still is.
Disney isn't a neighborhood park with demands being made without additional revenue. With 50,000 paying guests at the MK every day, Disney should have the cash flow to hire more staff to clean up after them.

eliza61nyc

Disney isn't a neighborhood park with demands being made without additional revenue. With 50,000 paying guests at the MK every day, Disney should have the cash flow to hire more staff to clean up after them.
who says they are not hiring the extra staff? at any given point in time you can be the unlucky guest to follow behind a bunch of pigs. or are you saying they should hire an person for each individual bathroom. sort of like in the theater where there is a restroom attendant?

that's a question, I have absolutely no idea how disney's staffing works at all.

Last edited:

drizgirl

who says they are not hiring the extra staff? at any given point in time you can be the unlucky guest to follow behind a bunch of pigs. or are you saying they should hire an person for each individual bathroom. sort of like in the theater where there is a restroom attendant?
And who says they haven't actually cut staff to recoup more of their revenue as profits?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom