Why doesn't the world's top theme park operator know how to operate theme parks?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Guys, I could literally go on all day long in this thread. I better cut myself off.
So could I.

However, here's an interesting idea...charging more per month for AP'ers who live within a certain mile radius of Disneyland. Also, parking fee increases for such patrons.

I live at best, an hour and a half from the parks (traffic can drive that closer to 3 hours at times). Why am I paying the same per month as the Anaheim resident who can get to the parks on a whim in 10 minutes?

mickEblu

Maybe @mickEblu can chime in with his change management expertise, but couldn't they leverage the changes as part of a marketing campaign? Explain to the public that the company has been listening, and in an effort to make each guest's experience more "magical than ever" (or whatever) steps are being taken to control traffic flow. Any reasonable person should be able to appreciate and understand why.

Haha thank you but I'm no expert though. Some things are just really obvious (like the poorly thought out MaxPass change). To your point, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a super honest campaign like you describe. Dominoes did it a few years back and I thought it was really bold and refreshing when they came out and basically said "our pizza sucked and we re changing the recipe." The thing is they really did suck (and probably still do) and everyone knew it and business was probably going down hill.

None of these issues really apply with Disney (at the moment). They still have a great product (that people are more than happy to pay for) but the theme park experience is slowly being Dimished with the crowds. I don't think they would do anything that bold unless business was actually declining. But then again, if business is declining then so would the crowds. So basically I don't think they ever would. They just don't even have that sort of long term mindset. If they did they wouldn't continuously plus the parks with only short term gains in mind.

It's pretty obvious that the parks are the movie studios b-i-t-c-h. The same way that TDO And TDA distanced themselves, the parks and the studios should do too. Let the park be its own brand with IP Infused here and there and not just an extension of the studios.

Curious Constance

So could I.

However, here's an interesting idea...charging more per month for AP'ers who live within a certain mile radius of Disneyland. Also, parking fee increases for such patrons.

I live at best, an hour and a half from the parks (traffic can drive that closer to 3 hours at times). Why am I paying the same per month as the Anaheim resident who can get to the parks on a whim in 10 minutes?
I like where this is leading. Since I live 15 hours away or so, I should get APs for free!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
DL AP Issue:

Rather than have APs where, after a certain number of visits, any further visits are 'free', which encourages daily/nightly visits; Disney should sell a 'membership' where tickets are at a reduced price. This way, every visit costs them, but, at a nice discount. This discourages dropping by for an hour or two or for making DL a daily/nightly thing... unless they want to pay a lot more for that privilege.

They used to have something like that it was called the Magic Kingdom Club.

http://www.yesterland.com/mkc.html

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think reserving fastpasses in advance is a poor development, but the MagicBand itself is convenient for the guest and provides great data for the company.

Great data that I'm not sure the company uses. They know where everyone goes and what everyone does, and yet have they been making changes based on that? If I were in charge, I'd have a large team of people analyzing useful information, then doing three things with it.
1) Making major operational changes so that nightmares as describes by the OP can be avoided.
2) Figuring out how to get people to spend more without it feeling forced.
3) Creating unbelievable memories. When your daughter meets her favorite princess for the first time, or first time in a while, said princess exclaims, "Emily! I'm so glad you came back to visit!" You're not a random person in a sea of millions anymore.

There's so much untapped potential. Over the past year or two, they've set up a lot of simple things, like having the hitchhiking ghosts tell you they'll follow you home... to Chicago, Illinois! But little that really takes it to the next level.

So point is, I think collecting and utilizing information is key.

Actually they do use the MBs at WDW for guest data. They use it for things just as you have suggested like personalized greetings and such.

No Name

Actually they do use the MBs at WDW for guest data. They use it for things just as you have suggested like personalized greetings and such.

Personalized greetings? Maybe I'm not with the times anymore, but I don't know of a single place where a character can know your name or something like that. Where are they doing that?

JD2000

no doubt overcrowding is intentional. ap and fp has to be eliminated to make any real difference. and everyone has to pay the same; 1-day 1-park only. or at the very least, sell discounted, multi-day tickets that cost less than 1-day but more than regular multi-day tickets, but do not need to be used consecutive days. and it is probably time to build another disneyland in north america (probably northern west coast). as expansion at dlr just leads to even more people.

and two other items that has me wonder about park operations is the worsening maintenance (especially light-bulbs) as if it's the 90's again, and why they don't pack you in with strangers on pirates, snow, or pinocchio. talk about removing capacity.

nevol

I was at Disneyland yesterday and it was a nightmare.

Hordes of people on a Thursday in October. Lines for everything - Pinocchio's queue spilled out past the carousel after 9PM. Restaurants understaffed. Smokejumpers had a line out the door at 3PM.

Disneyland was open from 8AM - 11PM, so they knew this was going to be a crowded day. Hilariously, DCA was open from 8AM - 8PM, so at 8:15PM, Disneyland got about 10x more crowded. Great work team!

Such long hours would necessitate some entertainment, right? Wrong! One performance of Soundsational, one World of Color, three Frozens. No Magical Map, no fireworks, no Fantasmic and no second performance of Soundsational or World of Color.

No nighttime entertainment in DL when the park is packed to the gills and open till 11PM is a huge mistake. Attraction lines were ridiculous (see Pinocchio above, Snow White was just as full). Sure you didn't have to navigate around show viewing areas, but instead you had to navigate around massive extended queues and gridlocked guests. Columbia was docked. Even Pooh had a solid 15 minute wait. POOH.

Everyone makes fun of MiceChat for beating the drum about execs having no idea what a real day in the park is like for regular guests, but they're absolutely right. Disneyland is a premium priced product that does not deliver a premium experience unless you go during "peak" seasons that are no longer peak. The park is delightful in July now, for example.

Despite Disneyland completely shifting its business model to making previously off-peak times peak and previously peak times off-peak, they have not shifted their scheduling or operations to match. July attendance was weak, and yet Disneyland was open from 8AM - 12AM every day with a full entertainment roster. October is miserably crowded - why isn't the park open with entertainment each day that month instead? Why don't they schedule more CMs in shops and restaurants during the week instead of Saturdays, when they all stand around looking for something to do? During the week the poor CMs are working to death with inadequate teams to support them.

HMH is too popular. If they are going to insist on using FP on that poor ride, the standby queue becomes absurd. It's the slowest moving thing I've ever seen. FP isn't much better - I waited no less than 34 minutes in the FP line for HMH yesterday. 34 minutes. I can't imagine the posted standby wait of 80 minutes was anywhere close to accurate since in the time I was going through the FP queue, the standby queue moved small amounts three times. The whole of the NOS fountain area was taken up with extended queue, and the FP return line stretched to the ride exit. Something is wrong.

Disneyland's old system of only running big entertainment during peak season/weekends is antiquated. If they want to be a resort destination, they need to start acting like one. WDW and TDR do Fantasmic every day, 365 days a year. We can't do fireworks every day at Disneyland due to local regulations, but World of Color isn't enough. Fantasmic and Magical Map should be daily at this point with the resort's attendance, and nothing is going to get better when SWGE opens and madness descends.

All of this goes hand in hand with TDA's utter failure to address parking. Years of kicking the can down the road thanks to vision-free leadership who just were looking for their next promotion, and now it's too late. It's literally too late. I don't think they could do any new structures at this point that would be ready by early 2019. Meanwhile, guests and cast suffer in insane parking arrangements that were always meant to be temporary.

As long as temporary budget wins to obtain reward bonuses are the focus of TDA suits and not the actual guest/cast experience, I'm afraid the parks will continue to slide into operational chaos. The last five years have been incredible to watch, and there's no reason to assume they'll improve - why would anything change when the numbers look good on paper? Never mind the irreparable brand damage being done, that's someone else's problem down the line.

Skipping this thursday when I had the opportunity to go wednesday and stay at gch. I don't think it makes any sense to go and not be able to see fantasmic or fireworks at disneyland on a crowded day. I also can't stand overlays (cough, space mountain), so it just isn't worth it for me. Nov 4th and 5th are the next potential dates for me because it would have the normal operating/entertainment schedule and almost all the rides open after removing or adding holiday overlays. Maxpass is a complete mess; its popularity doesn't speak to its convenience, it just capitalizes on problems it perpetuates. They ought to just charge people to wait in standby lines at this point and do away with an either-or scenario if they care so much about making money. that would actually improve the experience. After the holidays, pirates will go down for its neutering, paradise pier will begin its Disney Store outlet mall overlay, and the spring break season will be the best time to visit, in late march and april, to experience a pure but neutered disneyland. After that, summer season will be skiappable, despite its full schedule, entertainment schedule, and ap blockout dates, because disneyland will experience the full imperialism of john lassetter and his tone deaf pixar fest and pixar fireworks. Getting excited about star wars land opening, as it means less of these other gimmicks and gags to draw people into the park that really can't hansdle more crowds and actively works against the perfection of the disneyland show as-is and as can rarely be experienced (365 days minus weeknight/offseason entertainment schedule (or lack thereof) minus the summer for pixar fest, minus january and february because of refurbs minus any days that don't have all but the top tier or two blocked out = about a dozen saturdays or less out of 365 days) Sorry if I sound overdramatic, but this is really how I feel. It makes zero sense to me that they can't even show fantasmic after it was down for a year and a half and fully upgraded. They brought the show back in mid july and ran it twice a night on the weekends? Now the parks continue to be packed and they couldn't adjust the entertainment scheduel back in september to accommodate fantasmic in october, closer to halloween? DCA ets hallowen overlays and closes at 8pm wednesday night the week before halloween? I was thinking of getting 2-day one park per day tickets to soak up some of dca at night, hit woc, carsland, soarin, monsters after dark, but it just seems completely ridiculous to try, and then upon further thought, I realize I wouldn't want to get one park per day tickets at all, because thursday, disneyland won't have any nighttime entertainment, despite being open until 11, which would make me want to head back over to dca.

DL just needs to start building up. Add new layers. Become the parking garage of theme parks. Then you can have TomorrowFloor and Main Street Lobby and Sleeping Beauty Atrium. Fireworks on the rooftop.
You're likely kidding, but one way to solve the problem of the monorail and autopia property is to build a new autopia track that weaves above, below, and around the other areas of tomorrowland. You could have an attraction of the same length and include indoor show elements as well, and more interesting multileveling that way.

I love Haunted Mansion Holiday but hate what it does to New Orleans Square. That peaceful little park in front of the mansion is crammed with people.

I dread the fact that it's a small world holiday will be using fastpass this year!

Not only that, TDA, rather than looking at the horrendous crowding from Maxpass and eliminating maxpass, will look at what it has done to the park and start removing landscaped barriers, planters, mature trees around NOS, the best area of the park.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Personalized greetings? Maybe I'm not with the times anymore, but I don't know of a single place where a character can know your name or something like that. Where are they doing that?

I've never been so I don't have specifics, just what I've read and seen on YouTube. For the characters, I believe if you get certain Character Dining experiences at some of the resorts they use the MB to prompt the Princesses of your name. SarahSnitch I believe had one such experience up on her YouTube Channel, but I'd have to look for it.

Here is an article from Disney, their Mom's Panel blog, on MB experiences specifically attractions from 2016:

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...c-bands-unlock-little-experiences-not-321680/

nevol

Magic band time. Which they should have just done in the first place.

The change was handled poorly if you ask me. You have paper FPs which have been used for years and then all of sudden they add MaxPass (for a charge) but at the same time STILL offer the free paper FPs. But wait there's more, the paper FPs were made into "reminders" and instead of getting to the CM and handing them your FP, you're scanning it. Wait a minute- no you re not. You now have to dig your park ticket out of your wallet and scan those (sometime twice). So now you have to keep track of your paper FP reminder and your AP/ ticket.

I work in change management and saw these issues coming from a mile away. Not that the average user is too dumb to figure it out but it's just too many changes at once. Plus you have to consider environment. You re at a theme park, your kids throwing a tantrum, you re holding popcorn and a bubbler. The focus isn't there. I would imagine APs should get it pretty quickly but it ll take longer for casual guests and tourists to catch on. This whole thing kind of seems like an interim solution. I think the paper FP reminders will/ should be phased out quickly. The "paper" FP Stations can become reservation stations with signs saying to claim FP with your park ticket at the attractions. That would stop the confusion of guests trying to scan their paper FPs. There is no reason the "reminder time" can't be viewed on the Disneyland application. And cmon who doesn't have a smart phone? Even if one does not there is a good chance they are part of a party that does have one. Then lastly just bring on magic bands so we don't have to fish for our park tickets all day long.

Of course their long term strategy might just be to phase out free FPs entirely.
True, but magic bands and my magic plus ruined wdw, so I don't want that either. The paper reminders are necessary because they tell you whether or not you even get the reservation time that you are attempting, but they waste so much paper to serve one function, and would be better put to use if they actually worked, or if the fastpass machines just broke theme/story for 5 seconds with a screen/tablet to be enormously less confusing and actually just tell you this information.

I think reserving fastpasses in advance is a poor development, but the MagicBand itself is convenient for the guest and provides great data for the company.

Great data that I'm not sure the company uses. They know where everyone goes and what everyone does, and yet have they been making changes based on that? If I were in charge, I'd have a large team of people analyzing useful information, then doing three things with it.
1) Making major operational changes so that nightmares as describes by the OP can be avoided.
2) Figuring out how to get people to spend more without it feeling forced.
3) Creating unbelievable memories. When your daughter meets her favorite princess for the first time, or first time in a while, said princess exclaims, "Emily! I'm so glad you came back to visit!" You're not a random person in a sea of millions anymore.

There's so much untapped potential. Over the past year or two, they've set up a lot of simple things, like having the hitchhiking ghosts tell you they'll follow you home... to Chicago, Illinois! But little that really takes it to the next level.

So point is, I think collecting and utilizing information is key.

except the system by no means tells an accurate story. I'm sure that everyone thinks that the most-fastpassed attractions are also the most popular. This is partially true, except people also get fastpasses for attractions with the longest wait times, which is a consequence of capacity as well. Low capacity rides generate demand for fastpass and maxpass, and incidentally create profitability at the expense of operations, guest experience, and safety. Anybody looking purely at a guest's behavior through their ticket and maxpass behavior is missing 90% of the story.

I guess after thinking about it what's bothersome about MaxPass is that they are depriving guests of convenience for something that isn't even tangible and costs little to nothing for Disney. Although these days I guess extra functionality being added to a free application would be considered tangible. Then of course there is the issue that if everyone had MaxPass it wouldn't really work. But I'm not sure how true that is either since free paper FPs are still offered. I don't know. I don't have the data but depriving guests of this convenience just seems greedy. I mean I just dropped $ on two Signature APs and I have to buy MaxPass as an add on.
They are implementing half of a surveillance and market research/data collection system, and making guests pay for it by calling it a service. The ROI arguably comes from some internal business to business operations strategy/guest insights, but Disney being Disney wants to act like it is a privilege to use. They want everything to be maxpass, which is ridiculously not fun and impossible, frankly. Until then, the data they collect is actually useless. What really should happen, and what I would prefer a million times over, is the elimination of fastpass altogether, while maintaining the data collection/tracking systems of maxpass and magic bands/my magic +. Figure out where I am, where I go, what rides I visit, do whatever you want, throw the infrastructure costs into the park ticket, and drastically increase the guest experience in the process. Stop pitting fastpass and standby line guests against one another and making the park way more confusing to navigate. Decisions in disneyland shoudl be driven by aesthetics, theme, wienies, story, circulation. All of the things that drove it before. Now, while guests are navigating this complex landscape, they are being distracted by stupid rules about where, and when, and how soon thereafter you can get fastpasses, and the return times, and a million other things.

If they got rid of free FP and made MaxPass $80 a day per person, would that help crowding because people would be forced in to stand by lines? Would people pay anything for MaxPass like they do for APs? I don't know why they can't just enforce a reasonable maximum attendance capacity.

I think it actually would help. Standby lines would be longer but move twice as fast. They wouldn't be double because people would opt out rather than get a fastpass if the line exceeds what they are willing to wait. Sidewalks would be significantly less crowded.

Simple point of comparison. During the 50th celebration, while there were some truly packed days, we would regularly show up mid-week and have zero problems finding a great parade or fireworks viewing spot. We could even show up on a Friday and have the same success. We went mid week during off season earlier this year and it was a nightmare. I will go to my grave with the opinion that the monthly payment plan has turned the park into what the "mall" was for many of us in the 80's. You need not look further than some of the twitter personalities that are there most every day. Why? Because it's their hangout.

Disney has allowed this population to grow and despite parking cost changes (no DTD, no add to certain levels of AP), people are still coming.

And given this increased attendance, they have absolutely failed to figure out how to handle it. If you are going to allow the parks to be flooded every day, you better staff appropriately and make sure your e-tickets aren't down on a regular basis.

It is all so *** backwards. Free maxpass should be available to guests paying top dollar to stay on property, not local aps who can visit 365 days a year by only spending 300% the cost of a 1-day park hopper. Increasing parking to regulate ap visits and crowding and to encourage carpooling doesn't work when the people you are trying to control are exempt from said pricing strategies.

I have been kicking around the idea of an AP plan where you pay for the number of days you are going to visit and are limited to that number of visits. For example, you can buy a yearly 20 day ticket, 30 day, etc. I’m not sure how it would work but if you could somehow cap it at, say, 50 days (roughly once per week which should be plenty for most people) then maybe you can make a dent in crowd levels.

Or making people reserve their visit in advance like a fastpass, so that the entire pool of APs can reserve visit is on a first come first-serve basis, which would be a good crowd indicator, which would then influence the dynamic pricing they have implemented, and ideally the entertainment offerings. As is, the dynamic pricing punishes daily ticketholders and passholders separately. Passholders cant go on certain dates, day trippers have to pay more. Integrate the two systems a little bit better, and have the dynamic pricing at the gate and the availability of tickets for APs fluctuate. Heck, maybe a dynamic pricing could be set for APs too, where a lower tier ap can pay a little extra to get in on a day they otherwise couldn't. This of course is getting ridiculous and the easiest solution is to just have pricing or dynamic pricing for one type of ticket rather than continually trying to integrate and regulate daily tickets and 5 tiers of APs.

That's true.

Honestly, I think TDA (and TWDC at large) needs a complete corporate gut job with people put into place who understand that these are ACTUALLY problems, and the philosophy of "it doesn't matter, we're making money" is a horrible way to run a business. Corporate should be taken to the parks during days like this, and made to stand in queues just to know what the customer deals with.

The issues you brought up are correct though. And furthermore, I'd say that even if people are "frustrated" to the point where they do end up cancelling their passes, there aren't a shortage of other people ready and willing to get passes for themselves. So, even if people threaten to leave, it's almost like Disney says, "Fine, leave! Someone else will gladly take your place."

I forget who said it earlier in this thread, but having an AP is almost a culture in itself, and somewhat of almost an entitlement. Like, "Hey, I own an Annual Passport, I expect the parks to maintain a certain level of quality and I never want the parks to be crowded the days I go."

Bubbles are bursting all around. But Disney isn't going to act on this. Instead, they'll just raise normal ticket prices.

and this cuts to a blatant truth, and a simple one, that seems to have gone ignored until your comment. Which is that APs are severely underpriced while day tickets are at their limit. because of this, people paying the least overall per visit are expecting the most perks and special access/accommodations, like free maxpass for rides they've already been on a thousand times and free parking. They can visit for 5$ a day while the people paying 175$ per person to be there are suffocated by crowds, unable to view fantasmic from anywehere but behind a tree because they arrived too late (and while thousands of the fantasmic viewing area's capacity go unused as they try to pay for every show through dinner packages and the entire viewing area sits empty).

Beyond that, you have precisely answered the question. Disney doesn't know how to operate theme parks because they aren't focused on operating theme parks; they are focused on making money. And the thousands of people at TDA and in P+R in burbank are competing among themselves to create these woowoo profiteering schemes and marketing techniques, based on their mediocre undergrad educations and the experiences and observations they had on the two or three days a year they go to disneyland for free. Disneyland is being ruined by people who just want a job, who don't really love or understand the place.

DL AP Issue:

Rather than have APs where, after a certain number of visits, any further visits are 'free', which encourages daily/nightly visits; Disney should sell a 'membership' where tickets are at a reduced price. This way, every visit costs them, but, at a nice discount. This discourages dropping by for an hour or two or for making DL a daily/nightly thing... unless they want to pay a lot more for that privilege.

Perfect. 20% off tickets, hotel rooms, etc. Like a rewards card. A bonus day for every 4 visits or something like that. It is way more reasonable than giving people hundreds of visits, literally 36,500 percent the access for 300 percent of the cost. That is exactly the situation we have now; people paying 3 times what a daily park hopper costs, 10 times if you want to be picky and count them as single-day tickets (which they aren't) for 365 times the access. So-cal residents? They pay about double, for 250 times the access. It couldn't make less sense. Having people pay about 80% for what they want by giving them a bonus visit for free is a far more common incentive program that would make people feel great without handing over the keys to the kingdom.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

All of this is extremely interesting to me. As an Orlando resident , a WDW AP, and someone that just bought a 2 day DL ticket for next week, I find the differences between the two so intriguing. I average 1-2 visits a week. Most people I talk to at work can’t even remember the last time they went to the parks. Not to mention the population that lives <30 minutes from WDW is drastically different than the amount that live near DL. Most WDW AP’s I would guess still live at least a couple hours away, if not out of state entirely.

On a side note, I hope my Sunday/Monday visit in about 12 days won’t be as crazy as some here have witnessed.

lazyboy97o

Conditioning works. I was also in Disneyland on Thursday and enjoyed the breathing room versus the Magic Kingdom. Walt Disney World has effectively increased crowding with flat attendance and it makes sense to replicate that sort of strain at other parks.

mickEblu

True, but magic bands and my magic plus ruined wdw, so I don't want that either. The paper reminders are necessary because they tell you whether or not you even get the reservation time that you are attempting, but they waste so much paper to serve one function, and would be better put to use if they actually worked, or if the fastpass machines just broke theme/story for 5 seconds with a screen/tablet to be enormously less confusing and actually just tell you this information.

They are implementing half of a surveillance and market research/data collection system, and making guests pay for it by calling it a service. The ROI arguably comes from some internal business to business operations strategy/guest insights, but Disney being Disney wants to act like it is a privilege to use. They want everything to be maxpass, which is ridiculously not fun and impossible, frankly. Until then, the data they collect is actually useless. What really should happen, and what I would prefer a million times over, is the elimination of fastpass altogether, while maintaining the data collection/tracking systems of maxpass and magic bands/my magic +. Figure out where I am, where I go, what rides I visit, do whatever you want, throw the infrastructure costs into the park ticket, and drastically increase the guest experience in the process. Stop pitting fastpass and standby line guests against one another and making the park way more confusing to navigate. Decisions in disneyland shoudl be driven by aesthetics, theme, wienies, story, circulation. All of the things that drove it before. Now, while guests are navigating this complex landscape, they are being distracted by stupid rules about where, and when, and how soon thereafter you can get fastpasses, and the return times, and a million other things.

To clarify, I only want magic bands at DLR for the devices and the convenience they bring to touch points. Not the reservation system that is associated with them.

Great points on what should be driving guest experience at the parks. FP can really zap the fun out of your day if you let it. If you don't use the system right, it just adds stress to your day between going completely out of your way for certain FPs and then having to make it to your appointments. It all goes back to overcrowding. They don't want or know how to deal with the real issue. FP is just a "solution" and bandaid to the long lines/ crowding problem. At least that's how they want guests to see it. Even though it was really created to get people out of lines and spending more money. As a guest I didn't wait an hour for Space Mountain so I feel great about that and I go home remembering that more than I do the crowded walkways and increased standby times on smaller/ non FP rides the system created.

shortstop

Conditioning works. I was also in Disneyland on Thursday and enjoyed the breathing room versus the Magic Kingdom. Walt Disney World has effectively increased crowding with flat attendance and it makes sense to replicate that sort of strain at other parks.
You felt like at DL you had more breathing room than you do at MK?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
All of this is extremely interesting to me. As an Orlando resident , a WDW AP, and someone that just bought a 2 day DL ticket for next week, I find the differences between the two so intriguing. I average 1-2 visits a week. Most people I talk to at work can’t even remember the last time they went to the parks. Not to mention the population that lives <30 minutes from WDW is drastically different than the amount that live near DL. Most WDW AP’s I would guess still live at least a couple hours away, if not out of state entirely.

On a side note, I hope my Sunday/Monday visit in about 12 days won’t be as crazy as some here have witnessed.

You might have a little break because it will be between Halloween and Christmas, but do mentally prepare for the worst just in case. :)

Orlando locals aren't into the parks the way SoCal'ers are. Not sure why, but it's part of the reason WDW can get away with its shoddy standards and lack of regular upgrades. Out-of-towners just aren't as demanding or scrutinizing as local fans.

mickEblu

First week of November shouldn't be too bad. You are not only in between holidays but they don't really have a lot of the Christmas decorations up yet so it's not a huge draw for locals yet.

No Name

except the system by no means tells an accurate story. I'm sure that everyone thinks that the most-fastpassed attractions are also the most popular. This is partially true, except people also get fastpasses for attractions with the longest wait times, which is a consequence of capacity as well. Low capacity rides generate demand for fastpass and maxpass, and incidentally create profitability at the expense of operations, guest experience, and safety. Anybody looking purely at a guest's behavior through their ticket and maxpass behavior is missing 90% of the story.

Oh yes, I fully agree that things can and are interpreted the wrong way. But Disney already comes to flawed conclusions due to there being so many confounding variables. Basically, so many things that overlap. So I understand if you disagree, but I think that the more they can really pick apart information, the better conclusions they'll come to.

To your example, they already had that general fastpass data before MyMagic+. But with the bands, they can tie that to way more. Now they can know who those people are, what path they took to get to the ride, what characters they met, what other attractions they rode, what they bought in the gift shops, what time they ate, what nighttime shows they watched, what time they got to the park, what order they attended the parks, when they last visited, what hotel they're staying at, what photopass photos they buy, etc. The company could look for correlations and maybe discover some interesting things that would help. Or not help.

I've never been so I don't have specifics, just what I've read and seen on YouTube. For the characters, I believe if you get certain Character Dining experiences at some of the resorts they use the MB to prompt the Princesses of your name. SarahSnitch I believe had one such experience up on her YouTube Channel, but I'd have to look for it.

Here is an article from Disney, their Mom's Panel blog, on MB experiences specifically attractions from 2016:

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...c-bands-unlock-little-experiences-not-321680/

Hmm I've never seen that. I know of most of the hitchhiking-ghost-type things by now, which she only mentioned a fraction of.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom