Why do you stay off site?

Nemo14

LoriMistress said:
I would think that it would be more expensive to say OFF SITE than on. You have to rent a vehicle ($20-30 a day), plus gas ($20-30 a week), parking ($8 a day), and hotel ($40-125 a night).

Rent A Car $140 (a week)
Gas $25 (a week)
Parking $56
Hotel $420 ($60 a day)

Total $641

And let's say there is no special for saying at a value resort and it costs $99 a day...the total would be $693. So you're only saving total $52. I don't think it's worth it. But that's just me.
On our recent trip:
With 10 people, we rented a 7 bedroom, 4 bathroom house with pool, hot tub, pool table, foos ball, air hockey, PS2, laundy facilities, and completely furnished kitchen. We stayed for 7 nights and spent the following:

House with pool heat - $1650
groceries and occasional takeout food - $300
rental mini-van -$380 ( We flew down, but the others drove, so we only needed one car)
gas - $25
parking - about $20 (We only went to WDW one day and Universal 1 day)

We each had our own rooms (except for 2 nephews who preferred to share a room, but each had their own bed). Every bedroom had its own TV. We were able to have local friends over for dinner and a family birthday party for my mother who lives 45 minutes away. Our teens who like to sleep in were able to without being disturbed.

By splitting the cost of house rental and food, without transportation costs to FL, we paid $1380 to live far more luxuriosly than what we could have in 2 rooms at a value resort at WDW.

All in all, it was a very relaxing vacation - exactly what we all needed. We do stay on property when it is just the 2 of us, or the 4 of us (in fact we'll be staying there in May), but for our large group of friends and family, and for our purposes, staying off-site is a much better choice.

craigy1980

i gotta say that i stay off-site because it is easier to get around to the other attractions by staying on international drive. you often get free transport to tha other parks included in the price.

jonabyte

I still think its more expensive (but worth it) to stay in a dw resort. The food is more, also the shopping at each resort, which few women can resist (namely my wife) and usually buy a few things everytime they go in.
We are staying just outside dtd this year for the first time in a while, yes I pay for parking, but I get free breakfast at my hotel.

wdwjmp239

bsandersjr said:
One question.... How much cheaper is it to stay off site in comparison to the value resorts? And is it not more beneficial to stay on site for means of transportation and other "perks"?

HAHAHHA!! I love your avatar, bsandersjr. We have that commercial down here in Naples, Fl and before the "Appliance Direct" commercial, it was the "Scratch and Dent World" commercials. Those were extremely annoying!

That lady.. I wanted to strangle her....

"SCRATCH AND DENT WORLD!!! IN SOUTH FORT MYERS!!!! LAST FOUR DAYS!!! (which usually lasted about a week) ;)

surfsupdon

We used to stay off site in the early to mid 80s because we were a "new family" and it was much cheaper than staying at Poly or Contemp. We started staying onsite once Caribbean Becah was built, the first "family-priced Resort." We've stayed onsite ever since, however.

dawnball

LoriMistress said:
I would think that it would be more expensive to say OFF SITE than on. You have to rent a vehicle ($20-30 a day), plus gas ($20-30 a week), parking ($8 a day), and hotel ($40-125 a night).

Rent A Car $140 (a week)
Gas $25 (a week)
Parking $56
Hotel $420 ($60 a day)

Total $641

And let's say there is no special for saying at a value resort and it costs $99 a day...the total would be $693. So you're only saving total $52. I don't think it's worth it. But that's just me.

Well, we're staying offsite for financial reasons (among others). So here's our financial analysis -

rental car - we drive down - $0
gas (100 miles/week maybe?) - $10
Parking - we have APs and AAA diamond paasses - $0
condo - $82/day (taxes and fees included)

so that's $584

And we need at least 2 (and we'd prefer 3) rooms at a value - we're a party of 7. Two rooms at pop would be $1566 at rack rate, a little less with an AP discount, but we're more likely to get three (the condo has 3 bedrooms and a sleeper sofa).

So we're saving about $1000 a week - on a 2 week vacation that's $2000.

In addition - staying offsite in a condo our toddlers have enough room to run around, strech out and mellow a bit. They aren't trying to process everything 24hrs a day. We can take a day to go to the space center, or the beach, or to curl up on the couch, watch a movie and eat microwave popcorn. Those aren't as easy to do when you stay onsite (except renting DVC maybe). The parking is close to our condo, we don't share disney transportation with millions of people packed in like sardines, and the condo feels like home - only better.

Different strokes for different folks.

DISMUM

Initially it may look more expensive to stay off site but once you get a group theat means you have to have more than one room the figures start to look better.A 5 bed vacaiotn home that will sleep 12 can cost in the region of $1170 inc to $1290 for the peak seasons thats $13 per person per night low season ! even with the cost of a car and parking it probably makes sense .PLus the vacaiton homes have more space and facilities than you would get in an hotel and there is the fact that even if you drive 20mins to get "home" you can wait longer than that for Disney buses and hotel shuttles

Videoteck

bgraham34 said:
Just curious for those people who prefer to stay offsite. I am not concearned about the money aspect because my friend only stays offsite because they want to save money. I want to know what other reasons do you have.

One word
TIMESHARE

shoppingnut

DISMUM said:
Initially it may look more expensive to stay off site but once you get a group theat means you have to have more than one room the figures start to look better.A 5 bed vacaiotn home that will sleep 12 can cost in the region of $1170 inc to $1290 for the peak seasons thats $13 per person per night low season ! even with the cost of a car and parking it probably makes sense .PLus the vacaiton homes have more space and facilities than you would get in an hotel and there is the fact that even if you drive 20mins to get "home" you can wait longer than that for Disney buses and hotel shuttles

I have to say even if I am going with a big group, I want my own room, bathroom and space. I have no desire to stay in a condo/home and have to share things with people. I have no intention of ever cooking and don't want to curl up on a couch, can do that at home. I want to be able to close my door and have some peace and quiet. This is my type of vacation, but everyone has a different view and you have to book what works for you.

My thoughts on off-site staying

For me we dont power trip since we go 2 or 3 times a year. After a long day who wants to take a shuttle to their car and drive anywhere.I thought like others it's cheaper but is it? yes Disney don't throw in free breakfast which most likely is your perk for off-site but remember you are still outside and the Park is not a few stops on the mono-rail or a boatride and when staying in a epcot resort you can walk over.I understand some people go on a shoe string budget but remember you get what you pay for.It's your vacation so lets see my Disney vacation at the Days inn or the Polynesian Resort with a magic Kingdom view.

I will allways remember the first time we went and how happy we were but it all changed from the time we said "Let's Go" to the walk out to the tram and the ride from the Magic Kingdom back to our off-site room around one and a half hours or so later.
Staying deluxe in Disney-- You cant get any better
I liked it so much I have 3 DVC home resorts and it has everything you need in it. Kitchen with all utensils, master bedroom with everything including the whirlpool tub and what a view with no stress of driving .

I have seen those money saving rooms outside and I say NO THANKS !!!!
Hard Rock Is a great off-site resort but then it's not off-site it's in universal studios again no driving to those 2 parks Universal Studios/Islands Of Adventure.

The Houses that have the pools are not that close and you must put up some cash/credit card for damages And the other expenses that come with the house like electric,pool usage etc...I bet most get some kind of charge added in on the way out.

tiggerguy2000----Pirate

barnum42

tiggerguy2000 said:
After a long day who wants to take a shuttle to their car and drive anywhere.
I walk to the car (no biggie after a day walking at the parks) and ten minutes later I'm at my off site hotel when others are still waiting for their resort bus.

tiggerguy2000 said:
I thought like others it's cheaper but is it? It's your vacation so lets see my Disney vacation at the Days inn or the Polynesian Resort with a magic Kingdom view.
Two nights at Polynesian or two weeks at Days Inn - I went for the latter :)

tiggerguy2000 said:
Staying deluxe in Disney-- You cant get any better
I won't disagree, but if all you do at you hotel is sleep after a hard day at the parks then all rooms look the same through closed eyes.

tiggerguy2000 said:
I liked it so much I have 3 DVC home resorts and it has everything you need in it. Kitchen with all utensils, master bedroom with everything including the whirlpool tub and what a view with no stress of driving .
I don't have the money to throw at three DVC homes (and nor will I begrudge you for being in a more affluent situation). I don't find a ten minute drive stressful. I find it easier than waiting for a bus then being on said bus with screaming kids, tired and irritable parents and people whose deodorant packed in six hours ago. ;)

RalphieN

tiggerguy2000 said:
we go 2 or 3 times a year.

tiggerguy2000 said:
the Polynesian Resort with a magic Kingdom view.

tiggerguy2000,

Let's just say, if I could afford to bring my family to WDW 2 or 3 times a year and stay at the Polynesian each time, none of this would be an issue. I'd go for the top of the line as well, but my kids aren't so fortunate. Obviously, you don't need to operate under the same budget constraints many of us do. I am not begrudging your blessings, so don't get me wrong. But,some of us still want to give our families the World but need to be more creative in doing it to fit into a budget that will allow us to still eat the rest of the year. For us, its a no-brainer. We rent a house or a two-bedroom condo offsite. Its cheaper by far and usually provides more space. Sure we'd love to not have to hop in the car to get back and forth but to us, it's a small price to pay to be able to go to WDW.

barnum42

RalphieN said:
Let's just say, if I could afford to bring my family to WDW 2 or 3 times a year and stay at the Polynesian each time, none of this would be an issue....
I'm with you there. All too often there are posts telling people that they will miss out, or it's a bad idea to stay offsite. For many of us, it's not a big deal. Good luck to those that have a purse that lets them stay onsite, but I don't want people deciding not to visit the parks as they've read "it's not worth going if you don't stay onsite".

Nemo14

barnum42 said:
I'm with you there. All too often there are posts telling people that they will miss out, or it's a bad idea to stay offsite. For many of us, it's not a big deal. Good luck to those that have a purse that lets them stay onsite, but I don't want people deciding not to visit the parks as they've read "it's not worth going if you don't stay onsite".
Well put Joe!
Having experienced WDW both on-site and off-site, I can attest that it's magical either way. After all, a vacation is what you make of it.

barnum42 said:
I walk to the car (no biggie after a day walking at the parks) and ten minutes later I'm at my off site hotel when others are still waiting for their resort bus.;)
I must say I need you to drive me around since you are the fastest driver in the world

Two nights at Polynesian or two weeks at Days Inn - I went for the latter :)
Please dont compare Filet to dog meat

I don't have the money to throw at three DVC homes (and nor will I begrudge you for being in a more affluent situation). I don't find a ten minute drive stressful. I find it easier than waiting for a bus then being on said bus with screaming kids, tired and irritable parents and people whose deodorant packed in six hours ago.
Im not rich and I dont take the bus

RalphieN said:
tiggerguy2000,

Let's just say, if I could afford to bring my family to WDW 2 or 3 times a year and stay at the Polynesian each time, none of this would be an issue. I'd go for the top of the line as well, but my kids aren't so fortunate. Obviously, you don't need to operate under the same budget constraints many of us do. I am not begrudging your blessings, so don't get me wrong. But,some of us still want to give our families the World but need to be more creative in doing it to fit into a budget that will allow us to still eat the rest of the year. For us, its a no-brainer. We rent a house or a two-bedroom condo offsite. Its cheaper by far and usually provides more space. Sure we'd love to not have to hop in the car to get back and forth but to us, it's a small price to pay to be able to go to WDW.
If it works for you then that's great! I have a 2nd job for our Disney trips so you can see im not rich at all.Im a car technician and wife a postal worker.I give up alot to enjoy disney in the best way I know how.I had a friend who wanted to go to hawaii but said he cant afford it so I told him to give up smoking and save the money in a can everyday and guess what he has been to Hawaii and still thanks me for helping him reach his dreams.he spent $12.00 a day on smoking so you see anything is possible if you want it bad enough.Im just trying to show my children the better things in life and I hope thats the level they start from.I was very very poor as a kid and never been on vacation until I was old enough to work.Never give up on going Disney deluxe some day --- tiggerguy2000

jesserin

bgraham34 said:
Just curious for those people who prefer to stay offsite. I am not concearned about the money aspect because my friend only stays offsite because they want to save money. I want to know what other reasons do you have.

My family has stayed at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista resort for years - mainly b/c there are 4 kids and it was always cheaper to do one suite (with full cooked to order breakfast and managers reception [free drinks] daily) than 2 rooms onsite...

It's been about 7 years since I've stayed there personally (we're hooked to onsite hotels!) but they still love the hotel and stay there regularly! It's a gorgeous resort with free transportation to Disney...

barnum42

tiggerguy2000 said:
I must say I need you to drive me around since you are the fastest driver in the world
From my hotel on 192 and at LBV I timed the trip to the car parks and it was ten minutes, keeping to the speed limit.

tiggerguy2000 said:
Please dont compare Filet to dog meat
I've no problem skipping steak for breakfast to enjoy a nice lunch and dinner :) Staying onsite is the breakfast, enjoying the parks is the lunch and dinner. I'm there for the main courses :D

You have no need to get defensive as to your having the money to stay onsite, how hard you work to get said money and your right to spend it how you will. :wave:

George

Liker of Things
Nice thread. I grew up next to the parks and never really considered where to stay. For my first trip as a "foreigner" my family stayed at Port Orleans. My In-Laws tagged along and stayed at an offsite condo. Very inconvenient. They wanted us to eat meals with them at the condo, drive to the parks, leave with them (no EMHs). It completely defeated the purpose of staying on site and made me Grumpy (yes, I turned into the dwarf!). We're already butting heads about a future trip, 2008. They want to stay offsite again and some of the posters here have me seriously considering relaxing my requirements (i.e. I may consider staying offsite).

On a side note, I may also be able to talk them into Fort Wilderness. I used to camp there every year in the 80's and they are quite nice and affordable (expensive compared to other campgrounds, but frugal compared to hotel rooms) if you like to camp. Plus Fort Wilderness has a lot of neat amenities like outdoor movies, horseback riding, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom