Why do you stay off site?

MKCustodial

disneytati said:
Hey, RODRIGO!!! What's this thing about being a father???? OMG!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I gotta warn you it's not an easy task being a parent. Yesterday, Clara broke a plate, and hypocritically said: "oops... it fell..." And she's only 2!!!!!

[Thread drift!]

Yeah, Julia is almost 4 months along. We're very excited, we may find out the ______ next month.

[Thread drift over!]

wannab@dis

disneytati said:
Yeah, and it's also not that easy to get this $55 - $65 rate at Disney resorts, if you're not an Annual Pass Holder.
I've got it for each of my last 4 visits in May / December and I've never used an AP discount.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
My reason is, for the price of a night at the Wilderness Lodge I can stay at the Ritz-Carlton, which outshines any Disney Resort in the US in every way.

barnum42

wannab@dis said:
I've got it for each of my last 4 visits in May / December and I've never used an AP discount.
Good going then! The prices you paid are certainly not that different from those advertised in the lobby of the places I've been.

But I think I get late deals on rooms pre-sold to British holiday companies who are just off-loading them rather than losing the money, which is why I get them at half of some on-property deals.

PirateJ

I would love to know what people do for a living that they are able to afford $300 a night (or more) for 7 nights...what am I doing wrong here?? :brick:

MKCustodial

PirateJ said:
I would love to know what people do for a living that they are able to afford $300 a night (or more) for 7 nights...what am I doing wrong here?? :brick:

Hey, if you find the secret, please share! I haven't been to WDW since Christmas 99, and I'd love to take my wife. I'll even stay off-site. :lol:

Nemo14

When we vacation every February with extended family, it costs us roughly $200 per person per WEEK, for 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. private pool and hot tub,free laundry, fully equipped kitchen, 3 TV's, etc. For us to stay on property it would cost much more than double that amount, and what we save on food and snacks more than pays for a rental car for us.
When we travel alone or with our teenagers, we do stay on Disney property, but we really have had great times in our off-site homes!

disneytati

MKCustodial said:
Hey, if you find the secret, please share! I haven't been to WDW since Christmas 99, and I'd love to take my wife. I'll even stay off-site. :lol:

I save money the whole year to be able to go there for Thanksgiving. And I'll stay anywhere that's safe and decent!! :lol:

conntom

BY the way The Grosvenor Resort is an official WALT DISNEY WORLDョ Hotel, located within the most magical place on earth, the WALT DISNEY WORLDョ Resort. The magic of Disney will truly be at your front door when you stay at the Grosvenor Resort.
From the Grosvenor you can walk to Downtown Disney I find the room to be ok no
not as good as a real Disney but fair for the Price.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
conntom said:
BY the way The Grosvenor Resort is an official WALT DISNEY WORLDョ Hotel, located within the most magical place on earth, the WALT DISNEY WORLDョ Resort. The magic of Disney will truly be at your front door when you stay at the Grosvenor Resort.
From the Grosvenor you can walk to Downtown Disney I find the room to be ok no
not as good as a real Disney but fair for the Price.

not even close to being as good as Disney. That place is a dump.

conntom

I know I know some people don't like the The Grosvenor Resort but a dump I don't
think so I did not say its a great Hotel. I think for the Price its ok for all I do is
sleep there and sometime eat and drink it could use some up dateing.

One of the main reasons that I have stayed outside Disney in the past is because of food! Disney food is very expensive and the portions are small. Unless you have a kitchen, you are pretty much forced to buy the food. For example, we stayed at the Boardwalk. Beautiful place, no doubt about it. But for breakfast, all that was available was Spoodles, which always had a long line cause it was not the hotel's exclusive restaurant, but on the Boardwalk itself. It was pricey and the food was too fancy for kids. Another place was a take out coffee and donuts place, again, a long line, and tough when you're traveling with a family that needs to sit and eat. And also inconvient to have to walk outside the hotel. If it's raining, you have to walk thru the rain. We stayed in another nice hotel in Lake Buena Vista that offered a free buffet (hot) breakfast and it was such a relief! Much less stress for certain. Of course, we still stay in Disney most of the time, food or no food, but wish Disney would offer something like this. They need to improve their food.

DisneyFreak529

Like some one else said earlier. Save money on the Hotel and spend the saving on something speacil like an extra charater dinner or a few more of your favorite gives for your self.

macsmom

We were discussing our vacation plans just today and we have decided to stay off-site. The cheapest rooms in the park would have run us slightly more than $100 a night, and since we were planning at least 7 nights, we can stay off-site for about half that. That gives me alot more spending money in the parks. Even with parking, not a bad deal. :cool:

Thought I'd reply to this one (need a good postcount :lol: )

I stay offsite at a place called the Parc Corniche on I-Drive.

Now admittedly it started out as cost based, can't really turn down a cheaper room and the self catering aspect, but now it's more a familarity issue.

I know that it's out of the airport, down the 535 till I hit the juction with I Drive, along I-Drive, then turn left into the hotel.

I know exactly what the room will be like and where the amenaties are.

I know if I head out of the hotel, turn right, go down I-Drive for about 300 yards, then turn right again I hit a shopping complex with a Publix, an electronics shop that sells media for my cameras and most importantly a Subway.

It's like being at home.

(Please note the directions are off the top of my head and do grow slightly fuzzy once I'm back home so might not be 100% accurate. Soon as I land at MCO though it's like I never left.)

That's why I stay offsite.

Saying that though, I wouldn't mind staying in the Floridian... :D

coasterphil

With 7 people in the family its much better to get a 4bed/2bath home about a mile from the gate for $109 a night than to go with DVC which would be the other option. The homes are really nice, have their own pools, and you can cook a meal or two in them.

Steve-B

We stayed off-site on our last trip (June '05) because it was cheaper and our 2 daughters wanted to each sleep in her "own" bed. Granted, the less money we spent made a difference, but we all missed being "surrounded" by the magic. Traffic is my biggest pet peeve, so not having to drive anywhere once we arrive is a BIG plus for me. We will be staying on-site from now on.

ErickainPA

We prefer to stay on property and have for almost every trip but my very first one. It's a matter of calculating everything out and seeing which is the cheapest way to enjoy the magic of Disney.

We are doing the dining plan and expect that to be a lifesaver and letting us enjoy things which we otherwise wouldn't bother to try due to cost. This trip we are having Christmas dinner at the Crystal Palace and going to see the Hoop-Dee-Doo show (this show alone would have cost us over $100 for 2)

My first trip ever to FL we stayed off-site on I Drive, since my dad was going for a fishing rod making conference and my cousins with their twins were meeting us there. We went to Disney parks 2 times, went to Universal (not much was there at the time) and Sea World, plus we were going to have a car anyway so we could go to my cousins and Uncle's house. We didn't even think of staying on property. My following trips I stayed on property during Night of Joys and the rate for the room was so cheap, plus I wasn't 25 yet so didn't want to be slammed with rental car fees. My first trip down was to get married and my hubby's first trip to FL ever, so we stayed on property at WL since that was part of our package for the wedding. We loved it. We are staying at Pop this year as it was working out to be cheaper to stay on property with the dining plan and tickets than stay off and have to rent a car for 3 extra days (for the price of what a week costs) We will be going with friends soon and we are looking at the Fort Wilderness Cabins or getting a condo off property as they will have their 2 children and we will hopefully have at least 1 or 2 children going with us. (that is just a lot of people to fit into a room and still have space, this way we can have the room we need for all the kids to have fun being together)

mousetalk

We would love to always stay on site, and have stayed at deluxes on site in the past. The minute we drive out of the Disney bubble, the magic disappears.

But, there are some incredible deals out there, espec as far as nice multi-bedroom condos, and the savings are just too good to pass up. We're paying $300/wk for two bedrooms with kit, LR, DR, jacuzzi and balcony at an excellent gated community the two weeks leading up to Chrsitmas.

And we don't necessarily want to visit the parks every day when we're in Orlando. Need a break. The prices at the deluxes are insane, unless you're either very rich or vacation but once a year. We vacation alot, and work hard for our money. And so, as much as we love the Disney resorts, we usually stay off site.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom