Why do you stay off site?

Tundo

We are going at the end of January and we like to stay at the AMerihost Maingate for a few reasons. The price is right number one. And the second reason is it is one of the few hotels that has a indoor pool in the Kissimmee area. We travbel with a large group up to 30 people and large group of kids who would be lost without a place to swim. The hotel is located right outside the 192 entrance to Disney so it is easy to get to DW and we also like to spend three or four days at Universal and SEaworld so staying on site is not as important

davidpw97

When my family was younger staying on property made more sense because we only needed one room. But with a family of 5 or more with 2 teenagers we needed more space and started staying off property. In most cases it is just more economical to rent a house/condo/timeshare type place then spend the money on 2 hotel rooms. There's also less headaches when we have more space to spread out and do our own thing, much less of a chance for the friction caused by spending too much time together. Having a house or condo with a full kitchen and laundry facilities allows us the freedom to cook our own meals and not be forced to eat out all the time and allows us to pack a smaller suitcase since we can always wash our clothes and wear them again without having to pay for laundry service or wait for the use of a washer. As far as not leaving Disney property is concerned, I can't imagine a trip where I never leave property. There are so many other things to do in the area that for me leaving property is a must. Also the simple everyday things are more expensive on property; food, medicine, any other every day items that might not have been packed. When you're off property and get sick in the middle of the night, its much easier and cheaper to be able to run up the street to the nearest drug store then try to somehow find medicine on disney property especially when you have no car. Other reasons my family has stayed off property include: business trips where it wasn't up to us where we stayed, attending a convention being held off property, I work at a hotel and can get cheaper rates. I am single and 27 now, when I have a family of my own I might stay on property once just for the experience but after that it will be off-property all the time for me.

katedvc

I'm visiting WDW in March and staying off property. We are taking a large group, my parents, my boyfriend, his mom, his brother and I, and a condo is the best choice. It is very nice to have a washer and dryer in your room, a full kitchen, sepearte rooms and a living area.

Because we have seen how much nicer these perks are, we decided to become members of DVC. The villas are set up like condos, not as roomy, but still have all the extras. Too bad we are going during "high time" and can't use our points!

To be honest, the time we stayed off property I had a FIT. :zipit: (I'm not pleased about not staying on site this time, but at least I get to go, right?) The thing that bothers me most about not staying on property is not being able to take advantage of the "extra hours of magic". When staying on property, we always use the early morning hours and CERTAINLY get our E-Night tickets, which also aren't available to off-site visitors. You also miss out on the Disney feeling from the time you wake up, to the time you lay your head down. There's just a special feeling about staying on property that is unexplainable.

However, staying off site is MUCH better than staying at a Disney Value Resort. We made the mistake of staying at All-Star Movies, and we lasted one night before moving to the Beach Club. Unless you love constant noise, bad food and crammed buses at night, then off property is better than value resorts.

If you are staying off site, I HIGHLY recommend the Marriott Imperial Palms. It's about a 3 minute drive from WDW, very clean, big and beautiful.

Wow, I didn't realize how opinionated about off property hotels I was!! :p

DisneyDefenders

"safer

I used to stay off-site but ehm stayed on site and that was it. I feel safer and I feel safer and well.... I feel safer. Of course that could be because last time I stayed off site my car was broken into. I also do not want to drive to the parks - I hate that and cannot fathom why anyone would want to - but to each his own.

I always stay at a Disney resort, but I have to disagree with the argument that it's "safer."

I had my car parked by the valet at the Boardwalk and had my car broken into and have heard quite a few stories from other people who have had similar situations happen to them.

The lack of a microwave is a big factor. When you travel with an infant that needs formula heated up its nice to be able to do it in your room instead of having to take it to the disney resort's grill.

I'm still not sure why Disney gives you a little fridge but no microwave.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
A site we recently used.......

is SkyAuction.com. They have deals on airfare, hotels, and condos throughout the world. We were able to book a condo at the Vistana sleeping 8 people for $560 for seven nights. Add in the fact we're driving to WDW, we have two of the major costs (room and transportation) already greatly reduced. Plus, we'll eat at least one meal a day at the condo, freeing up even more money to spend at the World!:D

barnum42

is SkyAuction.com. They have deals on airfare, hotels, and condos throughout the world. We were able to book a condo at the Vistana sleeping 8 people for $560 for seven nights. Add in the fact we're driving to WDW, we have two of the major costs (room and transportation) already greatly reduced. Plus, we'll eat at least one meal a day at the condo, freeing up even more money to spend at the World!:D
That's the sort of Maths and planning one has to give the thumbs up to.

davinakb

That's the sort of Maths and planning one has to give the thumbs up to.
Word. That's what we've done for the past couple years: drive, get a great deal on a big condo through a friend's timeshare so there's plenty room for everyone (esp. if you're staying a week or longer). The money saved on hotels goes for more park days, nice dinners at the resorts, more souvenirs, etc.

YQY747

The main reasons that we stay off property are that we are loyal to Marriott, as we always have a great stay with them.

The rooms are large villa type and with a kitchen, we save a lot of money instead of buying restaurant food everynight, and we get sick of eating out everyday.

We don't mind the 10 minute or so drive to the parks and since we don't go to Disney everyday, it's not such a big deal to be off property.

davewasbaloo

So it seems the majority who'd rather stay on-site is from the US, correct? And also, those that do prefer on-site, you go to Orlando and you only visit Disney? You don't do the other stuff?

Nope. I will not stay off site if I can afford it. To me the themed hotel and restaurant experience is even better than the parks. I spend about 100 nights a year in normal hotels, and I drive about 40,000 miles a year.

Being chauffered fromthe airport, to WDW and leaving the real world behind is what it is all about. I would rather go to WDW less to be able to afford to go in style, but that's me.

davewasbaloo

Great choice and I also have stayed here.If anyone is looking for a great place then the Embassy Suites is the right choice for a off-site resort.It's around $100.00 to $160.00 a night and the perks make it worth every penny.it's very clean and upscale to say a Days Inn which I feel and this is my opinion is on the very bottom of the scale.

Everyone has the right to a opinion so don't take this the wrong way

tiggerguy

No way you would catch me in a Days Inn - those places are horrid (please bear in mind I spend a lot of time in hotels for work and I have had nothing but terrible experiences with Days Inns).

davewasbaloo

I think if you have less than 5 people in your party and it's all about the mouse stay on site. We just came back from 12 days Deluxe Savanah View at AKL. We were on the dining plan and had hopper tickets for every day.

When we priced it up, it seemed to be cheaper to do this rather than rent a car and 2 child seats, stay off site - Holiday Inn level (refure to stay any lower level while on vacation - though would consider it if a house), buy passes and food, pay for parking, gas and extra insurance.

Instead we stayed at the only place where you can enjoy coffee on your balcony watching fireworks with Giraffes below your window. Mickey and Stitch woke us up each morning. As we bought things in the shops, they would get sent back to our room. We could charge everything to our room, which meant less foreign exchange transactions. No tax or tips on our dining (we eat in table service at Disney whether on or off site). It was stress free and a real escape.

This would not be the same for us in a motel off site.

The only way I would stay offsite is:

1. a 3 week plus vacation

2. Where the party would need two or more rooms

3. I was on a budget - but I don't do vacations on a budget, because that's not a vacation. If I'm on a budget - I'll camp or stay close to home.

And I do not like Florida, so if it's about the states, I'll go to the West Coast or New England.

But different strokes. Whatever works for you. That's what it is about.

Uponastar

We stay off-site, simply because it's cheaper and saving money on one trip allows us to start planning for our next one!
One piece of advice for anyone considering staying off-site. . .
Don't rely on hotel shuttle services to get you to and from WDW! Rent a car! The shuttle bus experience can be a major nightmare! We found that out the hard way.
If you are considering a hotel with a shuttle service, make sure that the bus services only your hotel. If not, forget about it! You can spend literally hours riding all over the area, stopping at different hotels. Bad idea!

davewasbaloo

If you are considering a hotel with a shuttle service, make sure that the bus services only your hotel. If not, forget about it! You can spend literally hours riding all over the area, stopping at different hotels. Bad idea!

This is another factor of why we stay on site. My time is expensive. I don't get a lot of free time (a day off a week, and maybe 3 hours in the working week when the kids are awake), so it is worth it to me to pay a little extra extra to have a monorail, ferry or bus take us to the attractions in a fun way, to have our shopping delivered to the resort so we can concentrate on the kids and having fun. This to me is a vacation.

2excitedkids

we will be down in 3 1/2 weeks and we will be staying offsite, we really we contimplating a value resort but backed out, here's why

1. money, i am paying $75 a night tax included for a 3 bedroom 2 bath kitchen condo only 2 miles from disney entrance
2. me and my hubby has to sleep in the same bed, we have been married 9 years but can't stand sleeping apart
3. 2 kids ages 3 and 6 will be with us 24/7 if we stayed in a value resort, we need some times apart during an 8 day stay
4. kitchen in condo, this saves a lot of money on breakfast, which saves time to eat at condo insted of eating elsewhere, but we will be having 2 character breakfasts in the park
5. after an 11 hour drive down, we need to be apart from the kids a little bit, keeps my sanity!!!!!!

When we priced it up, it seemed to be cheaper to do this rather than rent a car and 2 child seats, stay off site - Holiday Inn level (refure to stay any lower level while on vacation - though would consider it if a house), buy passes and food, pay for parking, gas and extra insurance.

Well... if you wanted to stay offsite it would be cheaper... as
1. rental cars aren't that expensive if you rent one away from the airport.
2. bring your own child seats no reason to rent them.
3. can find Holiday Inn level hotels substantially cheaper than those from the mouse.
4. your buying a pass regardless of where you stay so thats a wash.
5. off-site opens up a world of more reasonable food when your not in the park itself.
6. join AAA and book your trip through them you'll then get free parking.
7. a week of driving an SUV for a trip didn't use more than 35$ in gas.
8. no need for any extra insurance if you already own a car and have insurance or even just have a decent credit card your rental car is covered.

So if you want to spend more and pay the mouse fine, but don't make up reasons to justify your decision. Some people looking at the sight have limited resources and paying the mouse extra to sleep isn't as much fun as buying the cheesey trinkets in the parks with the money you safe staying offsite.

palmage

Yeah....its' funny reading the replies here....

It's almost like many of us have to search for a reason to stay ON site rather than off! :lol:

The biggest reason (depending on your reason for travel) is the EXTREME lack of amenities at any WDW resort if you plan on doing anything but going to their parks! The Contemporary is the only one that even comes close to offering things that are considered "standard" by many of the better-name off-site business hotels.

The best Disney room is still not as good as the worst room at the Westin or Hilton, for example. Nor is the service or other offerings as good in most cases.

So..while you may not necessarily ALWAYS save money by staying off-site, you can certainly get a better VALUE for the money you spend there.

However, if the only thing we will be doing is going to Disney parks while we're there, the choice of staying on-site is infinitely easier!

Just another thing to think about while planning your trip....

:wave:

Have you ever stayed at a deluxe?
What amenities are missing?
A news paper?
Free cup of coffee?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom