Why Do People Prefer Indiana Jones to Dinosaur?

gerarar

Premium Member
In AK today and just rode it 5 times back to back this morning. Wait times were 5 mins (basically walk on) but slowly creeped up to 15 mins towards my 5th ride.

It definitely needs some TLC, but I love it. The thrill always gets me going, the AAs, plus love seeing/hearing the reactions from other guests on the last two or three jump scares.

Sir_Cliff

For me, Indiana Jones is more theatrical, more like being in the middle of a movie. Dare I say, Rise of the Resistance - esc.

Dinosaur is also good, just not on the same level.
I agree Indiana Jones is just a more complete experience in its use of music, sets, and pacing. It's that sort of complete experience that elevates it to the level of a classic Disney attraction.

Dinosaur feels like Animal Kingdom's E-ticket that never quite was for a lot of the reasons people have mentioned. You're just sort of bumping around in the dark with some cool effects and dinosaurs here and there. While Indy's story is relatively simple and self-explanatory even without all the set-up in the queue, Dinosaur's always seemed a bit forced. Are we supposed to be jumping out and bundling up a dinosaur to throw in the back seat to take back to the present or something like that? The stakes are a little unclear!

I think the fact Dinosaur is a thrill ride that relies on some kind of narration for guests to understand what is supposed to be happening is suggestive of the fact it doesn't quite gel as an attraction.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Indy has actual scenes. Dino is just Foliage & Furious: Supercharged.
This made me laugh, but again, they're rides with very different purposes, stimulating different aspects or responses from each person.

Although I've never ridden Indy, I love the movies. I'm sure I'd love the ride too, but it's a different experience. Doesn't make sense to compare the two. Let me ask a slightly different question that I believe is a similar comparison. Do you prefer go-carting, or going to the movies? Kind of the same point. One has to interact with the audience visually and audibly, while the other is usually bland on both fronts, but is a thrill in a different way. Many people randomly will prefer one or the other.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This made me laugh, but again, they're rides with very different purposes, stimulating different aspects or responses from each person.

Although I've never ridden Indy, I love the movies. I'm sure I'd love the ride too, but it's a different experience. Doesn't make sense to compare the two. Let me ask a slightly different question that I believe is a similar comparison. Do you prefer go-carting, or going to the movies? Kind of the same point. One has to interact with the audience visually and audibly, while the other is usually bland on both fronts, but is a thrill in a different way. Many people randomly will prefer one or the other.

this is a horrible take. We are not comparing the teacups and space mountain. These two attractions are literally the same ride implementation.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

It's a fair question but an odd comparison. I just think from a storytelling standpoint Dino fails. The show is all verbal. There needs to be more visuals. Strip the audio from the attraction and you're left with well, not much. The lack of set decorations and actual scenes make the ride less impactful. Pun intended.

Pepper's Ghost

this is a horrible take. We are not comparing the teacups and space mountain. These two attractions are literally the same ride implementation.
Hate much? I agree, it's not teacups vs SM, but comparing rides isn't a binary endeavor is it. There are different degrees of comparison. teacups and SM is a much more radical comparison. Dino from my understanding is made to be a much rougher ride which has been one of the complaints in this thread. That's the point. They TRIED to make it a different experience.
It's a fair question but an odd comparison. I just think from a storytelling standpoint Dino fails. The show is all verbal. There needs to be more visuals. Strip the audio from the attraction and you're left with well, not much. The lack of set decorations and actual scenes make the ride less impactful. Pun intended.
I sincerely appreciate your respectful response. I agree Dino could use a few more visuals, but don't think they should be beautiful scenic sets like Indy. What scene could you add to a jungle at night that would make sense and be as visually stimulating. I don't think that would make sense. That said, like I first said a few posts back, Dino could use a few more jump scares like other dinosaurs attacking the vehicle brightly lit from the dark. Those additional thrills could go a long way.

What I think I'm hearing from several if not most respondents to this thread is that they generally don't like Dino the thrill ride and feel it should be replaced with a more tame "dark ride", but have it be less dark. You know, like just completely replace Dino and add Indy to AK instead. If that were to happen, I'd be one of those longing for the days of the extinct ride, Dinosaur. Any puns intended. 😁 I just feel that we can already ride Indy at one of the other parks. Why replace Dino with that same ride. I like the variety. Just add Indy to HS.

Too bad they don't have the Jurassic Park franchise rights so they could have a better tie to a dino-related movie that many like. The current story line is definitely weak and corny, but the pre-show doesn't ruin the thrill ride for me. Although, if they changed Aerosmith in RnRC to say... Olivia Rodrigo... yeah, don't think I could ride RnRC ever again. 🤣

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hate much? I agree, it's not teacups vs SM, but comparing rides isn't a binary endeavor is it. There are different degrees of comparison. teacups and SM is a much more radical comparison.

more radical then comparing go-karts and going to the movies??

Dino from my understanding is made to be a much rougher ride which has been one of the complaints in this thread. That's the point. They TRIED to make it a different experience.

no - its rougher because people have almost zero anticipation ability because it’s basically just pitch black with almost no purpose to the movement besides “get away! Its rough!”

you can’t brace and your body isn’t ready.

What I think I'm hearing from several if not most respondents to this thread is that they generally don't like Dino the thrill ride and feel it should be replaced with a more tame "dark ride", but have it be less dark.
No

lazyboy97o

Hate much? I agree, it's not teacups vs SM, but comparing rides isn't a binary endeavor is it. There are different degrees of comparison. teacups and SM is a much more radical comparison. Dino from my understanding is made to be a much rougher ride which has been one of the complaints in this thread. That's the point. They TRIED to make it a different experience.
This only makes sense if you are unaware that Indiana Jones Adventure and Dinosaur use not only the same ride system but have nearly identical track layouts as well. Indiana Jones Adventure also has a much higher height requirement at 46” versus 40” for ”rougher“ Dinosaur.

Centauri Space Station

The queue and pre-show absolutely blow Dinosaur out of the water.

Plus, if you're a fan of the movies, you already feel connected to the story. At Dinosaur it's some random guy you just met trying to steal a dinosaur you've likely never heard of. There's no emotional connection there like there is with Sallah in the pre-show and in-ride audio.

Also I'd agree the lighting is much too dark on dinosaur.
It’s an original story vs IP. Most fans complain about lack of original rides now

dav23

Dinosaur is fine but it really has absolutely nothing on Indiana Jones. Indy is an exciting series of scenes set in a massive, ancient temple. Dinosaur jostles you around in the dark and every so often you get a glimpse of...something. Indy is fueled by an iconic John Williams score, Dinosaur is interrupted constantly by the annoying voice cast saying "not our Dino."

Even though they use the same track they are not nearly the same level of attraction.

Chris82

Interesting debate!

I do tend to prefer Indy, but that's almost entirely because of the queue. The buildup is more intense and dramatic, and the atmosphere is very effective. Dinosaur's museum entrance is fairly bland and doesn't really set up the attraction very well (a problem that's fairly common throughout Animal Kingdom, I think).

This is not to say that Indy doesn't have it's problems. The John Williams scoring feels overblown and inappropriate (I like my theme park music as diegetic as possible, so it doesn't take me out of the experience). The reveal of other jeeps in front of you shatters the illusion fairly significantly too ("Oh, Mara, I bet you say that to ALL the ride vehicles"). The big snake is kind of goofy, and the pacing is Universal-Studios-level awful. Big moments land a lot better when you have tense, quiet moments to build up to them. That said, the temple itself is really neat, and the awesomeness of the queue helps mitigate the constant-overstimulation-ness of the ride itself.

Dinosaur is for my money the more intense of the two - or, at least, it was when I rode it the first time as a kid. The darkness may feel cheaper compared to Indy's elaborate temple ("Ah, I can see where the budget went here! As an American consumer, that makes me feel loved!"), but it can help make it scarier to the newbie. A little less darkness in places just so you have SOME sense of where you are would be nice. I'm not sure why, but the ride feels tamer to me now than it did years ago - I'm sure it's just because I'm older and have ridden it many times, but I do wonder if they've nerfed it somehow. I remember finding the meteor showers pretty loud and scary as a kid, and the impact feels less now.

The physical ride experience itself is interesting, too. It's not super intense, which I suppose makes it very accessible, but it also makes it not terribly thrilling. I will say I wish they had added some Test-Track-style road texture so you didn't feel like you were "floating" over the track. This is especially noticeable in Indy, where the rumble of the Jeep engine contradicts your remarkably smooth vehicle motion. Since no one has any idea what a "time rover" is supposed to be, it's less of a problem with Dinosaur.

Also they should go back to "Countdown to Extinction" :p

Time Is Now

I've ridden both, and I actually prefer Dinosaur as well. To be fair, Indiana Jones has a superior queue experience, superior sets, a grander feel, and a superior soundtrack. And yet... the ride itself never really connected with me as an immersive experience. Probably because I can see the track in front of me and it is obviously flat, and yet the ride vehicle bounces around like it isn't a flat track. It takes me out of the experience every time.

This is why the darkness works so well in Dinosaur. It's a legitimate thrill. And the darkness is punctuated by meteor flashes crashing around you, which is really exciting! Almost like Space Mountain. And I have definitely noticed repairs and and improvements in the ride effects over the years (some have already been mentioned above).

Also, Indy has just 3 animatronic characters. Dinosaur has so many more, and they are fantastic!!!

It's just my opinion of course. And your milage may vary. And kudos to the imagineers for creating a ride experience that is so different, while using the exact same ride technology and track layout.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The Dinosaur ride has the advantage of having an....Air Hockey paddle........as part of the ride vehicle's theming?
paddle.png

Magenta Panther

Rode Dinosaur once. Was bored. And these days, clever animatronic dinosaurs are everywhere. Even minor theme parks have them. So the thrill is gone. I wish Dinosaur would be gutted altogether and we get a dark ride about the Jungle Book or Lion King. Ah, wishful thinking...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom