Why Do People Prefer Indiana Jones to Dinosaur?

JoMarch

For me, Indiana Jones is more theatrical, more like being in the middle of a movie. Dare I say, Rise of the Resistance - esc.

Dinosaur is also good, just not on the same level.

nickys

Premium Member

Why Do People Prefer Indiana Jones to Dinosaur?

Well for a start, Harrison Ford was better looking than any dinosaur, IMO. 😉

I assume you’re meaning the DL version of the Indy ride, not the DLP one? Can’t really comment since I haven’t been on either Indy ride .

AdventureHasAName

For at least two generations (Baby Boomers and Gen X), Indiana Jones is an iconic character and Raiders of the Lost Ark is an all-time great film. The same is not true of Dinosaur (the film and the characters). It's like asking, "Why do people love Star Tours more than Body Wars?"

lazyboy97o

Dinosaur is the same thing over and over. You’re shaking in the dark, you stop, the guy tells you what dinosaur you are looking at and then you do it again and again and again and again. It’s a contrived, repeated plot and there isn’t much to look at.

Indiana Jones Adventure is a series of different booby traps but each is different enough. There are show sets you can see around you, not just darkness, and what you are seeing isn’t dependent on stopping to be told.

Weather_Lady

LOL, I've been equally disappointed by both of them! Dinosaur has literally _never_ had all its effects working when I've ridden it, and I find the ride overly jerky, while the annoying, textbook-style narration and slow-moving animatronics manage to turn a really exciting concept into something impossibly boring. Even the carnataurus encounters are telegraphed from so far away - presumably to keep from scaring little kids - that they're just ho-hum. I _want_ to be scared and thrilled by Dinosaur, but the only sense of danger derives from my worry that I'll be exiting with a mild case of whiplash.

As for Indiana Jones, I think I read too many rave reviews ahead of time, so my expectations were too high. While I think the ride itself is far more interesting than Dinosaur, and tells a cooler story, the fact that you can see the whole darn thing laid out in front of you from the moment you enter the temple interior kind of ruins any and all surprises. That first look is a giant spoiler: the rest of the ride is just you, riding through the effects and areas you just saw the other vehicles riding in and out of.

Sorry for the negativism. I still consider both attractions "not to be missed." I just think improvements could be made, and I do concur with those who think Indy is the better of the two. :)

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Its too dark… that’s enough for me. I feel like I’m riding through a bumpy warehouse with the lights off half the time.

Every single time I get off Dinosaur I think “that COULD be so good” as I shake my head over how poorly executed it was.

Sbk1234

My biggest complaints with Dinosaur are that it's too dark to see much, and they changed the original name. "Countdown to Extinction" was an exciting title which promised adventure, while not giving away too much. Renaming it Dinosaur (although it was renamed after the movie) feels like the most un-creative, patronizing title.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Indy is dark too - it just isn’t 100% like dinosaur through this jungle you can’t see anything as it’s meant to be outside in the dark. Indy’s show stops actually have things you can see and have any concept about what the jeep is doing.

i wonder if the dino fans have only watched indy on YouTube…
This one has ridden both, but prefers the one not rooted in some obscure "Foreign land mysticism". If you're going to go for implausibility, reach for the stars!

quhawk

Rumor (and only a rumor) that Dino land or at least the Dino ride will become Indiana Jones land / ride. It’s the same track as Disneyland

Pepper's Ghost

Okay, just my opinion, so it can't be wrong. 😁 I've loved Dinosaur since first riding it as an adult in 2000. I found it by accident while exploring the parks. While fairly new, and in perfect working order, it was a thrill. That said, I rode Indy for the first time 10 mins ago on Youtube. Yes, I understand you can't experience and appreciate a ride on Youtube for any more than maybe 20% of what it really is, but that doesn't matter for my specific opinion...

I think these two rides, although very similar if not identical in the actual ride, are very different rides on how the stimulate your senses. It'd be like comparing Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion. I know the ride vehicles are completely different between SM and HM, but my point is that each ride stimulates different senses. HM like Indy stimulates your visual and audio senses more than anything. Imagine riding HM with your eyes closed. The experience is very different. That's the reason Dinosaur is such a bumpy ride. You're driving through a jungle at night, and the point of it being so dark is for the startle scares and getting your adrenaline going. Dino like SM is scary because you don't know when you're going to get yanked left, right, up, or down, and there's always the fear of having your hands chopped off at the wrists on SM. Indy is visually satisfying ride, like Haunted Mansion. It's all about the eye candy. I truly enjoy both of these types of rides, but couldn't compare the two to decide a favorite. I love both thrill rides, and the artistry of rides like Indy and HM.

To me this is like asking, do you prefer to drive a luxury vehicle, or a sports car? Each is fantastic in their own ways. It's why I own one of each. Some people prefer one or the other strictly. I prefer a little from column A, a little from column B.

That said, from what I hear Dinosaur could use some much needed TLC, and I'm all for that, but why do we have to force Dinosaur to be Indy? I personally like the dark ride through the jungle waiting for the jump scares. It could actually use one or two more jump scares IMO.

Sbk1234

Okay, just my opinion, so it can't be wrong. 😁 I've loved Dinosaur since first riding it as an adult in 2000. I found it by accident while exploring the parks. While fairly new, and in perfect working order, it was a thrill. That said, I rode Indy for the first time 10 mins ago on Youtube. Yes, I understand you can't experience and appreciate a ride on Youtube for any more than maybe 20% of what it really is, but that doesn't matter for my specific opinion...

I think these two rides, although very similar if not identical in the actual ride, are very different rides on how the stimulate your senses. It'd be like comparing Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion. I know the ride vehicles are completely different between SM and HM, but my point is that each ride stimulates different senses. HM like Indy stimulates your visual and audio senses more than anything. Imagine riding HM with your eyes closed. The experience is very different. That's the reason Dinosaur is such a bumpy ride. You're driving through a jungle at night, and the point of it being so dark is for the startle scares and getting your adrenaline going. Dino like SM is scary because you don't know when you're going to get yanked left, right, up, or down, and there's always the fear of having your hands chopped off at the wrists on SM. Indy is visually satisfying ride, like Haunted Mansion. It's all about the eye candy. I truly enjoy both of these types of rides, but couldn't compare the two to decide a favorite. I love both thrill rides, and the artistry of rides like Indy and HM.

To me this is like asking, do you prefer to drive a luxury vehicle, or a sports car? Each is fantastic in their own ways. It's why I own one of each. Some people prefer one or the other strictly. I prefer a little from column A, a little from column B.

That said, from what I hear Dinosaur could use some much needed TLC, and I'm all for that, but why do we have to force Dinosaur to be Indy? I personally like the dark ride through the jungle waiting for the jump scares. It could actually use one or two more jump scares IMO.
Well stated. I've ridden both many times, and it wasn't until I read about it online that I even knew that the two attractions had the same track layout. It never even occurred to me. They are two completely different experiences, and other than the vehicle, I don't think I would have ever thought to make direct comparisons of them.

Chef Mickey

Indiana Jones is superior because:
a) you can see what's going on in the ride,
b) you aren't beat up by the ride,
c) great pre-show elements in the queue,
d) multiple variations in how the ride unfolds, and
e) when you're done, you're in Disneyland.
Disneyland isn't better than WDW overall.

Andrew M

The queue and pre-show absolutely blow Dinosaur out of the water.

Plus, if you're a fan of the movies, you already feel connected to the story. At Dinosaur it's some random guy you just met trying to steal a dinosaur you've likely never heard of. There's no emotional connection there like there is with Sallah in the pre-show and in-ride audio.

Also I'd agree the lighting is much too dark on dinosaur.

Ginzuishou

I rode dinosaur (countdown to extinction) soon after it opened. It was a really fun ride. I haven't been on it since, so I'm not sure how much has changed/worsened. I just remember being so scared the first time I rode it. was insane! I never rode Indy so I can't say anything about that :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom