Why Do People Prefer Indiana Jones to Dinosaur?

Kamikaze

Your opinion. If California doesn't even have EPCOT or Animal Kingdom, the argument becomes very difficult overall unless you just ignore massive parts of WDW. Not to mention the many hotels, restaurants, water parks, and overall size/scale of the Disney bubble.
DLR has more attractions than WDW, regardless of number of theme parks. Just saying 'it doesn't have X so you can't compare' is pure BS.

DLR has better food - not even debatable.

DLR has better guests.

DLR has better versions of EVERY duplicate attraction.

DLR has better weather.

DL is the only park Walt visited.

But the real reason is - besides 'its bigger and has more parks & resorts' there is no coherent argument about what would be superior about WDW when compared to DLR. There isn't a single thing you can point to and say 'They do Y better than Disneyland'. Thats why DLR is better, and its not even close.

Chef Mickey

DLR has more attractions than WDW, regardless of number of theme parks. Just saying 'it doesn't have X so you can't compare' is pure BS.

DLR has better guests.

DLR has better weather.

But the real reason is - besides 'its bigger and has more parks & resorts' there is no coherent argument about what would be superior about WDW when compared to DLR. There isn't a single thing you can point to and say 'They do Y better than Disneyland'. Thats why DLR is better, and its not even close.
I disagree with most of that and things like Walt visiting aren’t relevant.

There is plenty of good food at WDW, California Grill, Topolinos, Steakhouse 72, Tusker House, Sanaa, etc. There is nothing amazing about any of the food in DL. Name 3 you think are good.

I prefer WDW Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion over DL and that’s not just an opinion I have.

WDW has PeopleMover and Carousel of Progress. Massive advantage.

WDW objectively has the better Tower of Terror, zero argument can even be made.

The fact WDW has EPCOT and AK is pretty much the only argument I need. That is a massive advantage. I’ve been to DL 15 times and WDW probably 75 or more times, so I’ve seen them plenty to have an opinion.

Weather? Sure.

Guests? Completely disagree. DL has their share of awful guests and plenty of weirdos. WDW of course does too.

Centauri Space Station

DLR has better guests.

DLR has better weather.

More rides? Yes. More attractions? Nope!
Better food? Absolutely not. WDW has Epcot, DAK, Brown Derby, California grill, Ohana, Citricos, Narcooses, Whispering Canyon, Topolinos, Il Mulino, Jiko, Boma, Sanaa and much more.

WDW had better versions of jungle cruise, splash mt, Haunted mansion, Phillarmagic, Winnie the Pooh, Astro orbitor, dumbo, little mermaid! Not debatable!

Centauri Space Station

Not even close to accurate there are plenty of arguments on why WDW is superior. If you’re bias for DL then whatever but just cuz you think it doesn’t make it fact! WDW doesn’t have a bunch of flat rides to pad it’s ride count like DCA. Poor overlays like WEB slingers, Guardians, or Incredicoaster. WDW has superior Tomorrowland, Adventureland and Frontierland compared to DL. Peoplemover, Hall of presidents, Country bears, Carousel of progress, Spaceship earth, living with the land, Seabase, Test track, Ratatouille, American adventure, circle vision in Canada and China, Safari, Expedition Everest, Flight of passage, Flights of wonder, tough to be a big, Muppet vision, One mans dream,Tower of terror, real boat and monorail transportation, skyliner and more. But sure nothing at wdw 🙄

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Not even close to accurate there are plenty of arguments on why WDW is superior. If you’re bias for DL then whatever but just cuz you think it doesn’t make it fact! WDW doesn’t have a bunch of flat rides to pad it’s ride count like DCA. Poor overlays like WEB slingers, Guardians, or Incredicoaster. WDW has superior Tomorrowland, Adventureland and Frontierland compared to DL. Peoplemover, Hall of presidents, Country bears, Carousel of progress, Spaceship earth, living with the land, Seabase, Test track, Ratatouille, American adventure, circle vision in Canada and China, Safari, Expedition Everest, Flight of passage, Flights of wonder, tough to be a big, Muppet vision, One mans dream,Tower of terror, real boat and monorail transportation, skyliner and more. But sure nothing at wdw 🙄
WDW has a crapload of 'flat' rides.
WEB Slingers isn't an overlay.
Guardians is far superior than what it replaced (the west coast version).
Incredicoaster is the best Disney coaster in the US.

I never said WDW had nothing. I said no versions of the duplicate attractions are superior at WDW. Also, most of those attractions are things people complain about on these forums on a daily basis. Hardly good fodder to use for your argument.

I disagree with most of that and things like Walt visiting aren’t relevant.

There is plenty of good food at WDW, California Grill, Topolinos, Steakhouse 72, Tusker House, Sanaa, etc. There is nothing amazing about any of the food in DL. Name 3 you think are good.

I prefer WDW Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion over DL and that’s not just an opinion I have.

WDW has PeopleMover and Carousel of Progress. Massive advantage.

WDW objectively has the better Tower of Terror, zero argument can even be made.

The fact WDW has EPCOT and AK is pretty much the only argument I need. That is a massive advantage. I’ve been to DL 15 times and WDW probably 75 or more times, so I’ve seen them plenty to have an opinion.

Weather? Sure.

Guests? Completely disagree. DL has their share of awful guests and plenty of weirdos. WDW of course does too.
Walt visiting is certainly relevant to those who love Disney parks.

I said food is better at DL. I didn't say WDW has zero good choices. Carthay, Napa Rose, (Steakhouse 55 (RIP)), Lamplight, Carnation, Storytellers are better than 99% of WDW's choices. But I was referring directly to a restaurant vs restaurant comparison - DLR actually orders higher quality food because SoCal guests expect it.

Space Mountain at DLR is far better than WDW since the 50th refurb. And CoP, while classic, is hardly a 'massive' advantage.

No ToT at DLR.

I love DAK and Epcot, but them simply existing doesn't really mean anything. There are great attractions there, but simply because its two more parks doesn't 'win'.

I don't want to really get into the whole guest thing because people here will definitely get offended, but Cali is obviously known for being laid back, which translates to the parks, which is better than the 'go go go' atmosphere at WDW.

The WDW Splash Mountain is better than the DL version.
How exactly? DL's version has more animatronics which are more likely to be working than the ones at WDW. The WDW advantage is the finale scene, but you get the same impression at DLR. Its not like the scene is completely left out in Cali.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Have you heard of Florida?
Have you heard of California? ;)

I've been to both many times. Used to consider WDW our home base but fell in love with DLR. But not because of the guests. Neither resort is better than the other. There are some very entitled locals who make DLR harder to navigate as a non-local. There are some annoying guests at WDW who are making a once in a lifetime visit and act like they own the place. Each resort has its own specific (and very different) issues.

Phonedave

I have never ridden Indy, but I have a problem with Dinosaur. More specifically the story.

We are in a time machine, we can go back in time whenever we want. Why do we need to go back just before the meteor shower. Go back to a day before and pick up the dino. Heck, go back in daylight too.

I get that the location is not 100% accurate, so we have to drive around a bit to find the dino we are looking for, but I don't get why it is such a big deal with the whole "loss of traction" thing.

We could have gone back in time during daylight, a month before the meteor shower, drove around and casually looked for our dino, and then calmly returned to the present time.

Yeah, I know Seeker is doing this stuff without approval, but still he could have made it a bit easier.

Kamikaze

I included Cali adventure for this discussion, obviously because comparing JUST Disneyland to the whole of WDW wouldn’t even be a discussion.

Anyway, we’ve said what we’ve said. No need to keep going back and forth and ignoring points.
There is no Tower of Terror at DCA either.

HonorableMention

I absolutely love Dinosaur, but I also haven't had the chance to ride Indy, and I usually concede that it's the better quality attraction. A lot of my enjoyment from Dinosaur comes from it's interesting history and bizarre quasi-ties to the movie, but one thing I've always enjoyed is the thrill factor.

I'm not a big roller coaster guy, I can enjoy some but a lot are too much for me. Dinosaur is a more unique thrill: sensory overload on a smaller scale. Yes, the darkness takes away a lot of the visual component of the ride compared to Indy, but for me that adds to the thrill. Being jostled around on this adventure in the dark with loud dinosaur roars is not something you see often in Disney dark rides, and it's an experience I'll usually take over a coaster, but I realize that might just be me.

Dinosaur has issues, but I will say that the format can work, and that you don't need the spectacle of Jones to have a good ride. Just look at Universal Beijing's new Jurassic World ride. It's essentially the spiritual successor to Dinosuar: guests are thrown from scene to scene in a dark, jungle setting while running into dino animatronics. It's more high-tech and you can see more, but it has a lot of parallels to Dinosuar, and it rocks.

I think Indiana Jones was a much better ride from its opening, but Dinosaur has always had a lot of potential that could be acted on (even if it most likely never will be). Lighting has already been improved over the years, and with some fleshed-out sets, TLC to the animatronics, another setpiece, and music, I don't think we'd be having as many of these Indy vs. Dinosaur debates.

Both rides are great in my eyes 👍

Karakasa

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Indiana Jones feels fake and like a ride blatantly in a show building to me. It legitimately does. Worst part is that the snake that doesn't remotely look like a real snake. It'd be fine if IJ was a cartoon IP, but... it isn't. Even my mom who loves IJ thinks Dinosaur is better. It's not a horrible ride, but if Dinosaur's an E-ticket, Indy's a C- or D-.

That being said, I've only ridden it once, and didn't experience the queue as someone in my party had injured their foot but insisted on continuing our vacation and so rode an ECV through the exit queue. Maybe the queue helps with immersion more but, I dunno. That just sounds to me like the queue is better than the actual ride....

Dinosaur is just so much more immersive to me. Yes, it's dark, but you can see everything they want you to see, and quite well, at least imo. It's definitely rougher than Indy, so if you don't like that I understand preferring Indy. But in all other aspects, it's just better. The only complaint I have is how they handle the big Carnotaurus breaking down. It's just there, but the lights are dimmed so you actually can't see it... so there's a big nothing roaring at you. But if you have a ridethrough with everything working, better than Indy with everything working, for sure.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom