Why did WOL close?

Champion

What a shame future world has become. Disney has really dropped the ball on maintaining them. I wish they would work on all three dated pavillions. Universe of Energy, Journey into Imagination, and Wonders of Life. You should be able to spend a whole day just walking around the pavillions.

This post is the very definition of comedy. Complain about the three pavilions they haven't updated while completely ignoring the ones they have been working heavily on.

It takes time to do these pavilions, they can't close more than one at a time. The Seas just got done. Now they are working on the post show for SSE. Something else will probably be done when thats over.

Its not like they can close all the pavilions for six months and expect guests to not be upset.

CThaddeus

This post is the very definition of comedy. Complain about the three pavilions they haven't updated while completely ignoring the ones they have been working heavily on.

It takes time to do these pavilions, they can't close more than one at a time. The Seas just got done. Now they are working on the post show for SSE. Something else will probably be done when thats over.

Its not like they can close all the pavilions for six months and expect guests to not be upset.

Never mind that Wonders of Life is closed 11 of the 12 months of the year and they could be doing some minor rehabbing here and there inside the pavilion. Oh wait, I forgot. Disney would actually have to pay for it themselves. Silly me, what was I thinking?

Champion

Never mind that Wonders of Life is closed 11 of the 12 months of the year and they could be doing some minor rehabbing here and there inside the pavilion. Oh wait, I forgot. Disney would actually have to pay for it themselves. Silly me, what was I thinking?

Why work on a pavilion that is going to be open one month a year? And probably not open for that month from now on?

CThaddeus

Why work on a pavilion that is going to be open one month a year? And probably not open for that month from now on?

Why work on it? Um, to have an OPEN pavilion that guests can visit? If they'd fix it up a little bit and do a little PR for the pavilion on the main pathway so people know it's there and open then I think they wouldn't need to keep it closed. Personally, I thought it was in very good shape (and nowhere near as dated as some other posters here are claiming) for a place that's pretty much abandoned 90% of the year. One of the monitors in Goofy About Health need replacing and one of the cabins of Body Wars was creaking and groaning throughout the ride. These were the major problems I saw, other than the exhibits on the left side - Coach's Corner, Frontiers - weren't in operation. Give Wonders of Life some TLC, open it on a consistent basis again, promote it, and put it back on the Park map (so people know it's there) and I think this wonderful pavilion could stand a chance.
And careful about making predictions about it not opening again. Many last year said the same thing and then had to eat crow later. I'd even love to see them open it on October 1, 2007 for the anniversary...but I won't hold my breath for it.

mcranmer

The Universe of Energy has taken a beating on this thread, but I, for one, love it. It is an opportunity to get in out of the sun and sit down for 45 minutes. Ellen's comedy never gets old for me. My kids love the dinosaurs (there might be a brontosaurus or two, but at least it isn't Barney), and most of the information is still fairly current and very educational (unlike some of the newer attractions). And, I am still amazed at the moving theater.

I would be all for a refubishment, but I certainly hope that there is a long term future for the UofE!

:sohappy:

WDWGuide

The Universe of Energy has taken a beating on this thread, but I, for one, love it. It is an opportunity to get in out of the sun and sit down for 45 minutes. Ellen's comedy never gets old for me. My kids love the dinosaurs (there might be a brontosaurus or two, but at least it isn't Barney), and most of the information is still fairly current and very educational (unlike some of the newer attractions). And, I am still amazed at the moving theater.

I would be all for a refubishment, but I certainly hope that there is a long term future for the UofE!

I love the ride-through part of it, but I can't stand Ellen Degeneres (nor most of the rest of the movie, which manages to be patronizing and inaccurate by omission, oversimplification and outdatedness at the same time). Plus the ending makes me cringe each time...

But hey, it's great for Disney and Ellen's fans that she was able to resurrect her career. There were certainly times when it did not look good for this pavilion.

CThaddeus

I'm a big fan of this attraction, too. The original was dry and painful to sit through, and was more like a science class with Ben Stein (ala "Ferris Bueller"). The current one still educates, but is humorous and doesn't seem at all dated...other than maybe the Jeopardy set and the moustache on Alex Trebek's face. I would give this paviliion another 10 years, and then consider a replacement. For now, there are other attractions in desperate need of improving (Journey Into Your Imagination, Test Track, Honey I Shrunk the Audience) at Epcot.
As for the rumor of Monsters Inc., I hope this stays a rumor. I love the movie, but one attraction dedicated to it is enough. I'd prefer if they were to redo it that they create their own new characters to host it - like Figment and the Dreamfinder were in Journey Into Imagination.

ROEFan88

Original Poster
I would give this paviliion another 10 years, and then consider a replacement. For now, there are other attractions in desperate need of improving (Journey Into Your Imagination, Test Track, Honey I Shrunk the Audience) at Epcot.
As for the rumor of Monsters Inc., I hope this stays a rumor. I love the movie, but one attraction dedicated to it is enough. I'd prefer if they were to redo it that they create their own new characters to host it - like Figment and the Dreamfinder were in Journey Into Imagination.

No way would I give UOE 10 years, to be honest - it's already dated, and I think Disney will get around to replacing it entirely fairly soon. I reckon it'll meet the same fate as Horizons and WOM eventually. I agree that the entire Imagination! pavilion needs serious attention, but Disney revamped JIYI into JIIWF only a few years ago, and the chances of it being seen to again in the next few years are probably slim, IMO. As for Test Track, I neither think it will get rehab nor that it really needs it - where do you think it needs improvement?

With you 110% on Monsters Inc. rumor, BTW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
UoE - so much potential using the original pavilion design concepts. Just change the show. Make an attraction that couldn`t be shown in a movie theatre, unlike the current one.

JII - expect a 3rd rehab sooner rather than later

Test Track - get all the effects working. All the time.

DisneyMusician2

UoE - so much potential using the original pavilion design concepts. Just change the show. Make an attraction that couldn`t be shown in a movie theatre, unlike the current one.

JII - expect a 3rd rehab sooner rather than later

Test Track - get all the effects working. All the time.

I'm hoping that they put in a great show using the current pavillion. It is a great concept, and unlike many other pavillions, it is in great shape! As far as WoL, I want it back as well, with some updated rides and features. Not for what is there, but as another walk-through interactive pavillion like the Land with rides in it. It would really help crowd control on that side of future world.

RSoxNo1

Ellen Degeneres is arguably the top female comedian in the country right now. Unfortunately for her, the nation wasn't ready for her or her character to come out, and the timing of the UOE rehab with her and Bill Nye couldn't have been worse. I do think that the show is entertaining, but it's difficult to get re-rideability based on comedy. It works for Jungle Cruise because every skipper is different, and the hope is that MILF will get it for similar reasons.

With all that said, I would really like to see some sort of mega attraction taking the foothold of WOL and UOE. I really don't even know what the rumors were for this "mega pavillion". I'm not sure if this where Storm Chasers was supposed to go, or perhaps the "Dupont Sponsored Attraction"... Insiders?

JCBarbie

I had never been to the Wonders of Life until this past Christmas. I thought it was SO cool that is was so dated. Like it was a 1988 time capsule. I kept waiting to see a young Britney Spears and Jennifer McGill hop out and start singing an old MMC song!

I think "The making of me" is fantastic! It was funny and tastefully and truthfully done. Body Wars....stunk but Cranium Command made up for it! Loved all the SNL people and the "hidden" Ariel. I hope they re open it again I enjoyed going back to the 80's.

k.hunter30

You know, as I think more about it it's rather sad that the Experimental Prototype Community Of TOMORROW seems to have the most dated attractions... With all the new technology and new ideas coming to fruition this century there is so much that can be done. And considering for quite a while the Imagineers helped make Disney so far ahead of its time, it's surprising that more hasn't been done. I realize that numerous updates and such would be expensive; but if they wish to stick with their "Future World" and thier main acronym I think they should step it up a bit. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom