Why did 20,000 Leagues close at WDW?

Sheri

What was the 20,000 Leuges (haha I cant spell) about? I dont kno if it was closed the first time I went or I just didnt have the time or whatever to go on it...From what I hear it is boring and uneventfull (Hows that 4 a big word? lol)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by mightyduck
Well, I don't need another roller coaster. I live very close to Six Flags Great Adventure with more coasters than I would ever go on...

I just think it would be sad if the "fantasy" part of Magic Kingdom was somehow only for little kids, instead of those who like to live in Fantasyland. I like Lion King, and the tea cups are fine for grown-ups if you don't get sick... I'm not suggesting a Jessica Rabbit attraction here. Just one that we could all escape to. :)

If they'd build a coaster, it'd most likely be fire/bald mtn. Problem with that is that it would cause a huge traffic jam. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who has tried to get around the area of the Matterhorn when it is busy.

markymark

Originally posted by Fievel

If they'd build a coaster, it'd most likely be fire/bald mtn. Problem with that is that it would cause a huge traffic jam. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who has tried to get around the area of the Matterhorn when it is busy.

True, I think it would be very congested there. Plus I think it'd be difficult to put a coaster in there without it ruining the skyline, at the moment all you see is Cindy's castle I don't know it would look right with a coaster peeping out from behind it.

Castle Cake Apologist

20K was quite possibly one of (In my oppinion) the best rides in Fantasy Land (If you're not fat). It was a submarine ride that incorperated underwater animatronics with special effects. You encountered mermaids a shark graveyard a giant squid and even the lost city of Atlantis. I see a scary pattern here: 20K was my FAVORITE ride until they closed it. World of Motion became my favorite ride. They closed it. Then Horizons was my Favorite. They closed it. Now The Haunted Mansion is my ALL TIME FAVORITE RIDE. Will the curse effect this masterpiece? I hope not. On another note... about them closing it. I always thought it was possibly due to the fact that all the animatronics had to run underwater which probably made them hard to maintain. Unless... now this is just a theory! Once youentered the show building you were in a pool and to the sides of you were glass walls and they were completely spotless. And directly beyond these walls were the animatronics, on dry ground. And because you were in the water and the walls were spotless, the animatronics appeared to be underwater as well. Does anyone understand what I'm saying? I hope so...
::Looks up:: whoa, long post. Ok, I'm going to shut up now. talk to ya laterz!
-DisneyExpert
AKA: Jake, Ryan, Jacob, whatever you wanna call me.
(My real names Jacob, my middle names Ryan, My nickname's Jake, I go by any of them)

popkid

NOOOO!!!! don't say the HM is your favorite!!!!! take it back, knock on wood - do whatever you must!!!!! they simply cannot touch the HM!!!!!!

please for the love of disney take it back......

Sheri

Disney expert~Apart from HM, I havent gone on any of those rides...That kindz sux coz people like you say they were good and stuff but I never got a chance to do any of them

Grim Grinner

20,000 Leagues of memories

I grew up watching 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on Laserdisc (way before VCRs ever came out), thrilling to the adventures of Captain Nemo and his Nautilus. When I finally got to go to WDW, I endured the 4 hour wait in the hot sun just for a chance to ride in the epitome of a childhood fantasy. Cheesy effects aside, the biggest memory I had was of the Volcanic Eruption and all of the bubbles streaming by the windows, and the smell of the large hill-billy guy who reeked next to my family. I remember the buzzing in my stomach as I was nervous to board, the the thoughts of what would happen if I fell off the loading dock.

Alas, when I returned last year, I had braced myself for the fact that the subs were gone. In what was the saddest momement of my honeymoon, I stood next to the water, gazing out at the rusting tracks, tears welling up in my eyes. Despite the ride's problems, it was a feeling when my parents sold the høuse I grew up in. Something had changed forever, and would never be the same. My beast wife had to drag me away, because I had lost track of time, and she had never been on it.

The stagnation of the area due to the loss of the ride has been a blow that I do not think Fantasyland can ever recover from. Along with the much loved Mr. Toad, this area has become a sea of distant memories. Both of these rides always had massive lines. Doesn't that mean that they were popular? I would like to see a refurbished version of the DisneySeas underwater ride here.

By the way, if things work out, I may just be able to get to go to DisneySeas as part of my job. If I can, I'll be able to pay my respects to the concrete Nautilus they have there.

Al

Yes, it is very sad they got rid of it. I only have very very vague memories of it, as i was very young when it went on for the first - and last time. Does anyone have any pictures of inside the subs? Or like a walkthrough of the inside of it,

I would be very grateful

Thank You

(Anybody found any pics of inside the warehouse of the ride)

Grim Grinner

I have some of it on tape

I have an old Disney souvenier VCR tape that has a scene with 20,000 Leagues... It's still pretty cool to watch, even now.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

On Sunday, I believe, on Walt Disney Presents was a special looking at the making of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Mostly it talked about the ocean scenes with the real fish but I thought it was pretty neat.

Tramp

Originally posted by mightyduck
Well, I don't need another roller coaster. I live very close to Six Flags Great Adventure with more coasters than I would ever go on...

I just think it would be sad if the "fantasy" part of Magic Kingdom was somehow only for little kids, instead of those who like to live in Fantasyland. I like Lion King, and the tea cups are fine for grown-ups if you don't get sick... I'm not suggesting a Jessica Rabbit attraction here. Just one that we could all escape to. :)

I think they should put a "HOOTERS" in there and put the 'fantasy' back in Fantasyland....

<SRH>

They are always talking about how they need to push the MK out into another land. They should build the Jules Verne area from TDS with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, & Fire Mountain.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer
The chance of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea coming back is slim-to-none

Yep its like lightbeer. never ever coming back. lol oh that was a hit below the belt. But he would be proud of me though. :)

Sheri

When did it close anyway?
The earliest time I've gone there was in August 99 and then July 2000 and I dont even remember it bein there...There was water in it but (I remember thinking that the fireworks relfected on it) but I dont remember seeing any sign or anything like that for it

Another question~Does anyone think something new will go up before April 2001? Thats the next time I'm going...

Sheri

oh ok and yes it did, I was being my usual blond slef (My hair isnt even blond its drk brown!!!!!!!!!) and I meant 2 say 2002...But of course I didnt, lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom