Why did 20,000 Leagues close at WDW?

Kevin Page

Original Poster
Pardon my ignorance, but I never did find out why?

Is it still rumors or is there solid verified info as to why?

And is there anything even remotely planned to take its palce (besides the character greeting area)?

Kevin Page

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes there are several projects planned for that area. All that is needed is some cash :) WDI are heavily into long term master planning, and you can bet that they have several ideas ready to role, should they be given the go ahead by management.

Speculation on why it closed include: No Wheelchair Access, Leaks, High Maintenence Costs, Poor Show Standards, Lack of Attendence etc.......
Like many of the closures, Disney dont have to supply a reason for what they do, and we will probably never get the full story. :)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

The good thing is that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is part of Tokyo DisneySea. The promotion art makes it look better then it originally was. Good to see it the way it should have been. :)

MCMike37

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Tokyo DisneySea

What's up with this? I first heard about this a long time ago. Checking on the main page it says...

Opening: Scheduled for autumn of 2001

If that is still correct, why don't we hav more pictures and the such of it? Last I heard it was still in development.

Tramp

Originally posted by Kevin Page
Pardon my ignorance, but I never did find out why?

Is it still rumors or is there solid verified info as to why?

And is there anything even remotely planned to take its palce (besides the character greeting area)?

Kevin Page

Lots of good reasons have been cited about why this ride closed....but let me be just a little blunt ....
the ride sucked....

you had huge lines cuz loading was worse than a month long constipation....climbing in and out of those waterlogged coffins was murder...even before I became FAT.
if you were claustrophobic, you had serious problems inside that sub (glad I never joined the navy)...squeezing in next to some stinky slob was not my idea of fun....
the ride was an underwater dumbo ride except it only went around once....and it moved like molasses...
the props under the water looked like a two year olds playpen....jesus...the plastic fish floating or attached to a string really looked authentic...NOT.

I'm glad they closed it....and i hope they put something good in its place.

mightyduck

Re: Re: Why did 20,000 Leagues close at WDW?

Originally posted by Tramp

Lots of good reasons have been cited about why this ride closed....but let me be just a little blunt ....
the ride sucked....

you had huge lines cuz loading was worse than a month long constipation....climbing in and out of those waterlogged coffins was murder...even before I became FAT.
if you were claustrophobic, you had serious problems inside that sub (glad I never joined the navy)...squeezing in next to some stinky slob was not my idea of fun....
the ride was an underwater dumbo ride except it only went around once....and it moved like molasses...
the props under the water looked like a two year olds playpen....jesus...the plastic fish floating or attached to a string really looked authentic...NOT.

I'm glad they closed it....and i hope they put something good in its place.

Tramp, I have to agree with you. It was not a fun ride at all....

DisneyFreak

I think a remake of the movie is in order as well. Not that the first movie was bad but with todays fx this redo could be another hit for Disney Studios.

popkid

well, i remember being a kid and being completely mesmerized by 20,000 leagues... listening to the captian and watching the plastic fish... wow, how long has it been gone now? what a waste of some prime real-estate...

i'm really hoping for an atlantis tie-in ride, and voting against a little mermaid attraction...

ps - i heard a rumor that it closed because the cost to keep the lagoon clean was too expensive!?!

DisneyFreak

Originally posted by popkid

i'm really hoping for an atlantis tie-in ride, and voting against a little mermaid attraction...

Please no Little Mermaid attraction! (no offense Ariel) I think the Mermaid show at the Studios is more than enough. Atlantis would be great and so would Journey to the Center of the Earth. They need an attraction in Fantasyland to attrack the kidless adults (like myself :) )

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by popkid
so, tokyo get's disneysea and we can't fill a dormant, empty lagoon?

hmmmm....

if OLC pays for it, then disney is all for it.

MCMike37

Originally posted by markymark
Check out this link for some more info. It opens in 19 days!!

MAn, I am amzed there hasn;t been more widely circulated press about this....too bad it is so far away...:D:D

mightyduck

Originally posted by DisneyFreak

Please no Little Mermaid attraction! (no offense Ariel) I think the Mermaid show at the Studios is more than enough. Atlantis would be great and so would Journey to the Center of the Earth. They need an attraction in Fantasyland to attrack the kidless adults (like myself :) )

And me! Given the growth of the adult-without-children segment of the market, I don't think Disney will forget about us, DisneyFreak, especially since Winnie-the-Pooh, while very cute, is not thinking of me... :)

markymark

Are they likely to do that in Fantasyland though? I mean I agree about the kidless thing, but I feel like Fantasyland is a real kids area, where they would resist putting anything too "un kiddie" as it would be out of character with all the other attractions there.

mightyduck

Originally posted by markymark
Are they likely to do that in Fantasyland though? I mean I agree about the kidless thing, but I feel like Fantasyland is a real kids area, where they would resist putting anything too "un kiddie" as it would be out of character with all the other attractions there.

Well, I agree, Marky, except I don't think that to appeal to adults you have to UN-kiddie...I would just hope for something more inclusive...I love Peter Pan because you can fly around... :)

markymark

Originally posted by mightyduck

Well, I agree, Marky, except I don't think that to appeal to adults you have to UN-kiddie...I would just hope for something more inclusive...I love Peter Pan because you can fly around... :)

Good point, PP is one of my real faves. I was just thinking about talk of a roller coaster - I don't know that that would happen.

mightyduck

Well, I don't need another roller coaster. I live very close to Six Flags Great Adventure with more coasters than I would ever go on...

I just think it would be sad if the "fantasy" part of Magic Kingdom was somehow only for little kids, instead of those who like to live in Fantasyland. I like Lion King, and the tea cups are fine for grown-ups if you don't get sick... I'm not suggesting a Jessica Rabbit attraction here. Just one that we could all escape to. :)

markymark

I think that the other thing about Fantasy Land is what you make it yourself. If you want to feel like you are in a land of make believe, then go for it. I think as long as it's done properly any ride can be for adults and children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom