Why are WDW resorts so expensive?

ddbowdoin

My last trip was May of 2010 and I have to say that I made out like a complete bandit. A week, spent off site (1 mile from parks) and tickets for 1K total. That figure included a 7 day park hopper, direct flights (via logan, jet blue), lodging (free breakfast is beyond clutch), car rental, and 14 a day parking fee's at the park. The first day landing we went straight to Publix, picked up the essentials and each day we brought deli sandwiches. Boars head meats, quality bread selection, and spreads simply outmatches any choices from the quick dining options at Disney. I'm 25, not 12... how many days in a row can I eat chicken fingers and french fries?

Even at the value level, I am seeing prices between 1375 and 1500 without airfare! From what I have read, the resorts at this level should really not be considered resorts and are more like hotels. How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

I was just wondering how people feel about the value of the resort compared to staying outside.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
To the best of my recollection, I have never taken advantage of EMHs even when staying on property. But my understanding is that they can be beneficial if you are in a position to make good use of them. The morning EMHs have a lot more appeal to me for the reason you stated.

I have heard that parks that offer morning EMHs tend to fill up later in the day. Supposedly, people plan their trips around EMHs and then stick to that plan even if they sleep through the EMHs. So if the Jones family planned to take advantage of morning EMHs at MK and then slept in, they might still go to MK even though they missed any benefit of EMH. I've got nothing to support this, but I've heard that it can be a drawback of morning EMHs.

On the other hand, if you hit EMH in the morning and then park hop somewhere else when the park fills up, you can potrntially get a lot of benefit out of EMHs.

If I was travelling with like-minded Orlando commandos, I would definitely try to take full advantage of EMHs. But, my wife and kids would revolt. For us, it's best to steer clear of the potentially gridlocked park altogether.
This is what we tend to do. You can get an get and absolutely sick amount of stuff done in the morning during an EMH. It is not uncommon for us to ride every attraction in FL and TL by 10 AM. Usually by noon we have done everything we want to do and then hit another park.

Upvote 0

lebeau

This is what we tend to do. You can get an get and absolutely sick amount of stuff done in the morning during an EMH. It is not uncommon for us to ride every attraction in FL and TL by 10 AM. Usually by noon we have done everything we want to do and then hit another park.

On our last trip, we usually got to the parks right around rope drop. Usually a little late, but close. Generally by noon, we had finished everything we had planned for the day and would head back to the hotel room so the kids could nap/swim.

This was during spring break and cheerleader comp season. So the parks were actually busy. I vividly recall leaving the MK around noon or one most days we were there and seeing throngs of people pushing their way down Main Street as we were creeping back to our hotel. I can't even begin to imagine coming in with those crowds.

I'm sure you could do a lot with an extra hour in the mornings. Unfortunately, I was pulling teeth to get the troops in gear by park open. That extra hour would have been a deal-breaker for my wife. Maybe next time when the kids are older we'll be in a better position to make use of that extra hour in the morning.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
There's definitely a convenience factor. But you pay a premium for that convenience. At least for us, we fare much better paying for our meals a la carte. And if we are in a position to eat a few meals off property, the savings really add up. Throw in a kicthen and you don't have to worry about budgeting for food because it's affordable.

I have to completely agree... for me, and obviously this is my opinion, I don't mind spending Disney money for dinner. While people here have commented on the dining atmosphere, I don't necessarily buy into that idea but it is nice to cap a day off with a "fancier" meal. What boggles me is the lunch options, and where money can really add up. If you're getting something quick and on the run it is likely to be fried or just sub par. I've had salads (sub par), wraps (pretty nice portion but not the most flavorful or delicious sandwich I've had), and then it's mainly fried foods. Fried foods are beyond delicious!... but the last thing I want it to be weighed down when I am walking like 6 miles a day in those parks.

Sometimes I just want something super light, and that's where having your own options from outside the park is killer. I'd rather have some hummus and pita versus a hot dog or cheeseburger. Although sometimes nothing beats pounding out a load of fries and ketchup.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
On our last trip, we usually got to the parks right around rope drop. Usually a little late, but close. Generally by noon, we had finished everything we had planned for the day and would head back to the hotel room so the kids could nap/swim.

This was during spring break and cheerleader comp season. So the parks were actually busy. I vividly recall leaving the MK around noon or one most days we were there and seeing throngs of people pushing their way down Main Street as we were creeping back to our hotel. I can't even begin to imagine coming in with those crowds.

I'm sure you could do a lot with an extra hour in the mornings. Unfortunately, I was pulling teeth to get the troops in gear by park open. That extra hour would have been a deal-breaker for my wife. Maybe next time when the kids are older we'll be in a better position to make use of that extra hour in the morning.

My GF is 50/50... she's been to Disney probably 6 or 7 times (she's 22) so she's tasted the magic (that's what she said?... sorry, lame joke)... but I can't tell how much of a Disney nut she is. I have to say though, our week was amazing. We were fortunate to find a great deal on a rental car and we were up at 6AM every morning, showered up, got ready, had our FREE (I know, I'm cheap) breakfast, and we're off and in the parks as soon as they opened. She was a trooper about our trip, in at opening and not leaving until closing. But I think that after that many hours we were definitely pleased to get away from the SpectroMagic Parade theme for a night and just get some relaxed shut eye. I guess staying offsite helped us avoid that WDW overload, but I definitely would have preferred to stay on site. For me its just a cost factor analysis that has to be conducted. If you can truly afford an on site vacation then hell yeah, go for it... but I know too many people who cut corners all year to save up enough money for a moderate or better resort and that's kind of where you have to draw the line. That's just my personal motto, and I can't tell people how to spend their money so I don't want to step on any toes.

Upvote 0

Funfy

We tend to view EMH the same way, even when staying on-site. Occassionally we'll take in an early morning one to get in a couple of the more popular rides, but for the most part we just look to avoid EMH....

Once those kids get older-late night EMH is the way to go! After about 10:30 crowds really thin and you actually get tired of going on rides.:)

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

While I admit, if you're an adult, it may not be worth spending the extra money for standard buffett food to meet someone in a Mickey suit while you eat. For those with children though, that extra interaction adds to the value and can help negate the extra cost, or even make it a great deal.

It also can be a great savings of TIME as well. When you're at a character buffet with kids, sure, the meal might take a little longer. But it's still a meal, and you're eating and enjoying (hopefully) this time with your family as they meet the characters. BUT, when you then go to the parks...you can often talk them out of spending all that time for meet and greets and autographs...because they've already met and gret :) When you see people waiting on line for an hour because their wee ones wanted to meet Mickey or Winnie, and that's something you already took care of while you were eating, giving you more time for rides and other attractions...it makes the money for the meal seem more than worth it, to me.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
It also can be a great savings of TIME as well. When you're at a character buffet with kids, sure, the meal might take a little longer. But it's still a meal, and you're eating and enjoying (hopefully) this time with your family as they meet the characters. BUT, when you then go to the parks...you can often talk them out of spending all that time for meet and greets and autographs...because they've already met and gret :) When you see people waiting on line for an hour because their wee ones wanted to meet Mickey or Winnie, and that's something you already took care of while you were eating, giving you more time for rides and other attractions...it makes the money for the meal seem more than worth it, to me.

that's one negative change for me... I had an 11 year gap between my WDW trips (from age 14 to 25) and when I was 14 I actually remember having an autograph book but I never waited in a line. The characters were more free roaming, now everything is so organized. I don't like it...

Upvote 0

lebeau

that's one negative change for me... I had an 11 year gap between my WDW trips (from age 14 to 25) and when I was 14 I actually remember having an autograph book but I never waited in a line. The characters were more free roaming, now everything is so organized. I don't like it...

I'll echo Slappy's comments about character meals. I get to sit doen and let the characters come to me (and my kids) while I eat? Yes please! On our last trip, we didn't wait in line to see characters once because we'd seen everyone we wanted to see during meals. Expensive, but worth it.

The organized meet and greets are a double edged sword. In the old days, you couldn't seek out a specific character. Today, it's easy to locate most of the popular characters. The downside, everyone else knows where they are too. So you wait.

If they reverted back to letting the characters roam the parks today, it would turn into a madhouse very quickly. I recall watching the characters at HS go on break one day. I didn't think Snow White was going to make it!

Upvote 0

lebeau

My GF is 50/50... she's been to Disney probably 6 or 7 times (she's 22) so she's tasted the magic (that's what she said?... sorry, lame joke)... but I can't tell how much of a Disney nut she is. I have to say though, our week was amazing. We were fortunate to find a great deal on a rental car and we were up at 6AM every morning, showered up, got ready, had our FREE (I know, I'm cheap) breakfast, and we're off and in the parks as soon as they opened. She was a trooper about our trip, in at opening and not leaving until closing. But I think that after that many hours we were definitely pleased to get away from the SpectroMagic Parade theme for a night and just get some relaxed shut eye. I guess staying offsite helped us avoid that WDW overload, but I definitely would have preferred to stay on site. For me its just a cost factor analysis that has to be conducted. If you can truly afford an on site vacation then hell yeah, go for it... but I know too many people who cut corners all year to save up enough money for a moderate or better resort and that's kind of where you have to draw the line. That's just my personal motto, and I can't tell people how to spend their money so I don't want to step on any toes.

Your girlfriend sounds like a real trooper! My wife starts getting agitated after a couple hours in the park. Ideally, she wants to ride two or three rides, have a meal and go back to the room. And even then, she doesn't want to have to go to the parks every day.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I could go "open to close" any more. Maybe if I didn't have kids. All I know is that when we return from a Disney trip with the kids, we're both physically in pain from the walking, carting of strollers and lugging of children and supplies/purchases.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Your girlfriend sounds like a real trooper! My wife starts getting agitated after a couple hours in the park. Ideally, she wants to ride two or three rides, have a meal and go back to the room. And even then, she doesn't want to have to go to the parks every day.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I could go "open to close" any more. Maybe if I didn't have kids. All I know is that when we return from a Disney trip with the kids, we're both physically in pain from the walking, carting of strollers and lugging of children and supplies/purchases.

Oh I'm sure this would all change when little ones come along... only natural. Kids start getting aggitated, crying, nagging, pulling at moms pants.

We went open to close 6 days in a row! I think one day we actually we to three parks (AK am, Epcot for lunch, MK at night), have to utilize the park hopper. People here wrote about traffic jams, I must have been lucky because I didn't get caught in ONE. My only complaint was getting back from MK at close, phew the ferry and monorail lines were immense.

I will say though, next trip I will come ready for all day adventures... being a New Englander through and through I only brought down two pairs of boat shoes (one fabric, one leather) and let me tell you... the blisters! wow... I have a whole array of powders and bandaids. Next trip I will have a NICE pair of sneakers ready to go.

I will say one glorious thing though, I bought my tickets through AAA and while they didn't really provide a discount they gave us a free "Diamond" parking pass. The entire week I did not take a SINGLE parking lot tram. We were always located one or two rows behind the Handicap lane at the front of the lot.. and by the time we switched parks in the afternoon people from the AM had left their diamond spots.

BUT yes... she's a trooper and I can't wait to pop that question.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Like many, I look forward to so many things about a WDW vacation on property. I love not having to drive late at night, fend off traffic getting out of the lots, dealing with car seats and parking. When i'm on any vacation, I do not want to be doing my own cooking/cleaning up. I love sandwiches but I want someone to make me mine when i'm away. Disney also has amazzzzing food choices. Everything you can think of can be eaten there and it is so good.

When you're away with kids, I really think you will change your mind. Well, even when I used to go with friends before I got married we always stayed on site, too. The conveinience of ME(no car check in/out or worrying about gas, being so close to the magic and having extra hours in the parks are wonderful. I like the theming of the different resorts, which brings a different experience each time. I also love a wake up call from Mickey or Goofy.:)

As long as you had a good time then that is all that matters ut for us, it is on property all the way!

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

Like many, I look forward to so many things about a WDW vacation on property. I love not having to drive late at night, fend off traffic getting out of the lots, dealing with car seats and parking. When i'm on any vacation, I do not want to be doing my own cooking/cleaning up. I love sandwiches but I want someone to make me mine when i'm away. Disney also has amazzzzing food choices. Everything you can think of can be eaten there and it is so good.

When you're away with kids, I really think you will change your mind. Well, even when I used to go with friends before I got married we always stayed on site, too. The conveinience of ME(no car check in/out or worrying about gas, being so close to the magic and having extra hours in the parks are wonderful. I like the theming of the different resorts, which brings a different experience each time. I also love a wake up call from Mickey or Goofy.:)

As long as you had a good time then that is all that matters ut for us, it is on property all the way!

I hate driving at night in a place I'm unfamiliar with. We do have a car on site but rarely, if ever venture out of the Disney bubble during our Disney vacation. There are some lovely off site properties but we still like being onsite.

Upvote 0

Thrill

It could be that they inflate prices in order to make "discounts" look more appealing. 40% off sounds like a lot, but the only reason they offer such a discount is because the rack rates are artificially high. Just my guess.

Upvote 0

smk

lol... not to sound like a food snob but here in Boston we have phenomenal food, even the nicest Epcot dining options don't compare to what we have here. Disney and food don't go together for me. Obviously thats just my HO.

I guess my beef is more with the value resorts. I can understand where the higher end prices come into play, but I think the prices for the value resorts are incredibly inflated.
We are currently planning a vacation for Feb., staying in a value (most likely Sports cause we like it just fine). The only reason we are even thinking about going again (we just got back a few months ago) is because we can stay for 5 nights for alittle over 300 dollars. That price is almost to good to pass up. It is not a package, we will buy our own tickets and food. I am not too proud to buy a childs meal, it is enough food for me and if we can get a TS meal or two, we will, but I will not let that stop me from having a good time. I know I will not go hungry! So, I get the food opinion of yours and I think I share it with you.

The price of staying at a value is good if you can plan right and take advantage of the deals when the are offered. I acutally think we can do this whole trip for about 1000 dollars, including the drive down and back and maybe staying a night on the road. I love staying on property for the atmosphere and convience. If I had to drive to a park erevyday I may find it to be a hassle and it would take away my enjoyment of being there. So, until I can resist going as often as I want, just to save for a better hotel location on property, I will be enjoying the value resorts. :wave:

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I hate driving at night in a place I'm unfamiliar with. We do have a car on site but rarely, if ever venture out of the Disney bubble during our Disney vacation. There are some lovely off site properties but we still like being onsite.

it's called a GPS

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
We are currently planning a vacation for Feb., staying in a value (most likely Sports cause we like it just fine). The only reason we are even thinking about going again (we just got back a few months ago) is because we can stay for 5 nights for alittle over 300 dollars. That price is almost to good to pass up. It is not a package, we will buy our own tickets and food. I am not too proud to buy a childs meal, it is enough food for me and if we can get a TS meal or two, we will, but I will not let that stop me from having a good time. I know I will not go hungry! So, I get the food opinion of yours and I think I share it with you.

The price of staying at a value is good if you can plan right and take advantage of the deals when the are offered. I acutally think we can do this whole trip for about 1000 dollars, including the drive down and back and maybe staying a night on the road. I love staying on property for the atmosphere and convience. If I had to drive to a park erevyday I may find it to be a hassle and it would take away my enjoyment of being there. So, until I can resist going as often as I want, just to save for a better hotel location on property, I will be enjoying the value resorts. :wave:

maybe I was there at the right time of year because I didn't hit a single ounce of traffic, over the span of the entire week. That includes leaving every park at closing, random...

Upvote 0

NedFlanders

But you have to look at it from the business perspective. An Amusement park makes money by getting people to pay to get in. Once they are in they need to keep people doing something they can build a ride for 20 million and it will create a long line keeping 200 people occupied while they wait for a 5 minute ride, or they can pay a few people $10 an hour to wear a costume and get maybe 50 people occupied in a line... I can see why they have the meet and greets. They could fill every meet and greet in the park for much less than the cost of a ride and the meet and greets still serve the purpose of giving people something to do.

Frankly the best way of doing meet and greets is to do one of the extra ticket parties and then do the meet and greets during the parade or right at the end of the party when lines are shortest... but I understand you hatred of the new system... it does suck to wait 45 minutes so your kids can get a 30 second hung from a dude in a bear suit.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

As a parent of 3 kids, I'm thinking more of staying OFF property as paying $150+(mod) to live on top of each other for a week compared to $100ish a night for a vacation HOUSE.....yeah... lol And busses aren't that practical with strollers and small children.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
As a parent of 3 kids, I'm thinking more of staying OFF property as paying $150+(mod) to live on top of each other for a week compared to $100ish a night for a vacation HOUSE.....yeah... lol And busses aren't that practical with strollers and small children.

after reading all of these posts it seems that staying on WDW property is only worth it if you have the money to drop on the nice resorts.... seems people bring up the ease of monorails and what not but the cheap hotels get stuck on busses.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom