Why are WDW resorts so expensive?

ddbowdoin

My last trip was May of 2010 and I have to say that I made out like a complete bandit. A week, spent off site (1 mile from parks) and tickets for 1K total. That figure included a 7 day park hopper, direct flights (via logan, jet blue), lodging (free breakfast is beyond clutch), car rental, and 14 a day parking fee's at the park. The first day landing we went straight to Publix, picked up the essentials and each day we brought deli sandwiches. Boars head meats, quality bread selection, and spreads simply outmatches any choices from the quick dining options at Disney. I'm 25, not 12... how many days in a row can I eat chicken fingers and french fries?

Even at the value level, I am seeing prices between 1375 and 1500 without airfare! From what I have read, the resorts at this level should really not be considered resorts and are more like hotels. How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

I was just wondering how people feel about the value of the resort compared to staying outside.

fosse76

lol... not to sound like a food snob but here in Boston we have phenomenal food, even the nicest Epcot dining options don't compare to what we have here. Disney and food don't go together for me. Obviously thats just my HO.

I live in Manhattan, and I totally agree! I would classify most of Disney's Table Service as not much more than your typical Olive Garden, TGI Friday's quality food.

I guess my beef is more with the value resorts. I can understand where the higher end prices come into play, but I think the prices for the value resorts are incredibly inflated.

I somewhat disagree. In the off-season, the Values are priced at what you would expect to pay for a similar quality hotel off-property. It's during the other "seasons" that it becomes ridiculously priced. But all of Disney's hotels are overpriced. You can stay at the Ritz off-property for what you are paying for a moderate...and not even the Deluxe resorts can match the quality of the Ritz!

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I live in Manhattan, and I totally agree! I would classify most of Disney's Table Service as not much more than your typical Olive Garden, TGI Friday's quality food.

I somewhat disagree. In the off-season, the Values are priced at what you would expect to pay for a similar quality hotel off-property. It's during the other "seasons" that it becomes ridiculously priced. But all of Disney's hotels are overpriced. You can stay at the Ritz off-property for what you are paying for a moderate...and not even the Deluxe resorts can match the quality of the Ritz!

My girlfriend is a senior in college and this year was the time for us to go. Unfortuntely do a few issues we just can't bring our budgets to come inline with what is needed for a trip. She's teaching in the fall, so the concept of off season rates is now dead to me. Her vacation schedules follows schools... that's a downer for me.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster

I mean, hey... I don't want to hate of anyone but I see the pictures posted and people's reactions to the food and at first I thought, really? The best you've ever had? But I then gave people the benefit of the doubt until I had a chance to experience the dining options during my visit in May and I had a hard time understanding how people could come up with such glorious reviews of the food. I'd even give the nod to a Cheesecake Factory over WDW and as I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of chains in general.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I mean, hey... I don't want to hate of anyone but I see the pictures posted and people's reactions to the food and at first I thought, really? The best you've ever had? But I then gave people the benefit of the doubt until I had a chance to experience the dining options during my visit in May and I had a hard time understanding how people could come up with such glorious reviews of the food. I'd even give the nod to a Cheesecake Factory over WDW and as I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of chains in general.

Staying with the thread drift here...

Just remember where you guys are writing from though. Manhatten (one of, if not THE culinary capital of the country) and Boston (a city with a VERY respected food culture).

I have the same thing when I lived in Chicago, where we'd have many places up the street that would very much blow WDW food out of the water for price and quality.

BUT, now that I've moved away from a major metropolis, plus added children to the mix, the times I get to go out to a real fantastic establishment are limited to once, maybe twice a year. (2 that I can think of this year, Thank you Mike Symon's Lola for Crispy Fried Bone Marrow, my new death row meal).

The food at WDW is going to blow the doors off of the vast majority of people in the country that either live outside of culinary centers, or can't get out to them often/ever. Is WDW food going to beat some of the meals I've had when I was childless and lived in an urban center? Not even close (though some of the signature choices can compete with all but some of the "top" places IMO). But compared with a meal with what is my standard "take out" now? I'm very much looking forward to my trip next weekend to enjoy some nice meals in an atmosphere that does not frown as soon as you bring a child through their doors.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Staying with the thread drift here...

Just remember where you guys are writing from though. Manhatten (one of, if not THE culinary capital of the country) and Boston (a city with a VERY respected food culture).

I have the same thing when I lived in Chicago, where we'd have many places up the street that would very much blow WDW food out of the water for price and quality.

BUT, now that I've moved away from a major metropolis, plus added children to the mix, the times I get to go out to a real fantastic establishment are limited to once, maybe twice a year. (2 that I can think of this year, Thank you Mike Symon's Lola for Crispy Fried Bone Marrow, my new death row meal).

The food at WDW is going to blow the doors off of the vast majority of people in the country that either live outside of culinary centers, or can't get out to them often/ever. Is WDW food going to beat some of the meals I've had when I was childless and lived in an urban center? Not even close (though some of the signature choices can compete with all but some of the "top" places IMO). But compared with a meal with what is my standard "take out" now? I'm very much looking forward to my trip next weekend to enjoy some nice meals in an atmosphere that does not frown as soon as you bring a child through their doors.

I can give you props there, children and restaurants are a tough mix. Never mind the looks you get from other patrons, but menus rarely cater to the palettes of children.

I'd like the extra Magic Hours, that's a real nice incentive.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I sure am happy that I live in Jacksonville Florida. I would hate to live in a place that would elevate my culinary tastes to such a level that everything else simply pales in comparison. Being such a simpleton has allowed me to really enjoy things like the fired chicken from 50's Prime time, the fish n chips at Rose and Crown and the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes from Kona Cafe. I shudder to think that had I grown up in a more sophisticated place all of those great dining experiences I have had in WDW and abroad would have never occurred.

I would personally like to apologize to my friends from Boston, Manhattan and the other culinary meccas of the world who have dined with me in WDW. Had I know that you were being forced to eat what would be considered inedible swill in you native land I never would have suggested it. I only hope that you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'd like the extra Magic Hours, that's a real nice incentive.

I would add that you'd be suprised that even without kids, at the right resorts, the "Magic" factor does exist. Moderates are all I've ever stayed at, until next weekend when we venture into our first Value, so I may have a different experience down at that level and report back that I was wrong.

Even if you're only at your resort for a very small amount of time (up in the morning and out, and back just to crash), there is something to be said about some of the elaborate theming giving you an extra level to your trip. I dont know if it's just me, but it feels like once I hit that Magical Express bus, I enter into the world of WDW and dont leave until I'm back at the airport. Leaving the park for the day, I'm still going to a highly themed resort to sleep/eat in, so it kind of feels like you really are not "leaving" the parks at all.

I'd always considered myself one of those "over-planned" types, where I had the schedule down to a T, and the resort never entered into it. I was suprised though when my wife and I stayed at POFQ, that we actually decided to work a little "resort time" into our trip once we got to our resort. A relaxing walk down the river, boat over to DTD, dip in the pool, etc.

All that being said, without discounts of some sort, we would not even be making the trip at all this year. I just know that in my personal situation, I would probably choose to wait another year and save before I stayed off-site, having stayed at both on and off. BUT, there are many, many folks who would disagree with me on that I'm sure.

Upvote 0

wendysue

Same reason you pay $3 for a little orange Juice. Disney can charge what they want and people will pay it.

We just came back from WDW on Saturday. I did have another booked but have since cancelled, mainly due to the prices. I know its just a little here and there, but it has now added up to TOO MUCH. I love the parks, and maybe if we drive down so that we can bring our own food, I might consider it in the future, but right now I'm just Disney'd out. Checking into other vacation options.

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I sure am happy that I live in Jacksonville Florida. I would hate to live in a place that would elevate my culinary tastes to such a level that everything else simply pales in comparison. Being such a simpleton has allowed me to really enjoy things like the fired chicken from 50's Prime time, the fish n chips at Rose and Crown and the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes from Kona Cafe. I shudder to think that had I grown up in a more sophisticated place all of those great dining experiences I have had in WDW and abroad would have never occurred.

I would personally like to apologize to my friends from Boston, Manhattan and the other culinary meccas of the world who have dined with me in WDW. Had I know that you were being forced to eat what would be considered inedible swill in you native land I never would have suggested it. I only hope that you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

Even in my highest of food snobbery days (Dual Income - No Kids, living in Trendy Neighborhood in a Major Metropolis), I would always enjoy my meals at WDW. I've never had a "bad" meal there, making my ADRs is one of the highlights of my trips, and I love pretty much anything fried.

But, when you live in a large city (or really anywhere that there is any sort of restaurant culture) where there are hundreds if not thousands of "good" to "great" restaurants, competing for business, you can get very, very good food at prices equal to or less than food at WDW. I've never felt that the fact that I could get a better meal cheaper at home "ruin" WDW dining for me, but if you even trend towards the "Foodie" label, I can understand where some folks might and think that they have a valid point, from their personal perspective.

That being said, none of those restaurants let you walk out of the door and directly into one of the WDW parks, so there is a major advantage right there for WDW food.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
We just came back from WDW on Saturday. I did have another booked but have since cancelled, mainly due to the prices. I know its just a little here and there, but it has now added up to TOO MUCH. I love the parks, and maybe if we drive down so that we can bring our own food, I might consider it in the future, but right now I'm just Disney'd out. Checking into other vacation options.

People here have knocked me for bringing my own sandwiches but it saved me a ton of money. If you aren't planning on the table service meals, then why not bring something from your hotel room. I was the donkey of the trip, had the backpack filled with the essentials and our own refillable water bottles. The water tastes like crap in Disney but, it's free. There was one day where I was tired of my turkey sandwich so I decided to buy some lunch, Pizza Planet at DHS and didn't have high expectations and still came away disappointed... and after spending 9 or so dollars.

The magic is what you make of it, it's different for some people. I'm there for the sights, the sounds, the rides, the memories. I'll pass on overpriced food and snacks, to me its like being at a carnival.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Funny you bring that up...as I was reading the previous posts, I was thinking about all of my friends in NYC (I even grew up in the metro area), Boston, Chicago, LA, and Vegas who enjoy Disney...and while some things don't measure up to what they can get locally (just like I prefer steaks and Mexican food in TX and Italian food around NYC)- they all still enjoy the food at Disney and rave about certain things.

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

The thing with the food is that for people who live in cities(like I do), you can get the same quality food that you do at WDW. The prices are also normally less. I love dining at WDW don't get me wrong, it's just the prices that gets to me. For example, we ate at sci-fi last trip(yes I know people go her for atmosphere, and the food isn't "high class") but it just mind boggles me why you pay $20 for a Hamburger, Fries, and a Shake when I know at home I can get the same quality for for $12 at a Tasty Burger...

As for resorts we always stay on property, usually at a value. Is it overpriced? You bet. Do we regret it? Not one bit. It's not even the whole magic factor that does it for us. We just enjoy being IN Disney for the whole time we are staying rather than coming in and out of the world every night.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Even in my highest of food snobbery days (Dual Income - No Kids, living in Trendy Neighborhood in a Major Metropolis), I would always enjoy my meals at WDW. I've never had a "bad" meal there, making my ADRs is one of the highlights of my trips, and I love pretty much anything fried.

But, when you live in a large city (or really anywhere that there is any sort of restaurant culture) where there are hundreds if not thousands of "good" to "great" restaurants, competing for business, you can get very, very good food at prices equal to or less than food at WDW. I've never felt that the fact that I could get a better meal cheaper at home "ruin" WDW dining for me, but if you even trend towards the "Foodie" label, I can understand where some folks might and think that they have a valid point, from their personal perspective.

That being said, none of those restaurants let you walk out of the door and directly into one of the WDW parks, so there is a major advantage right there for WDW food.

It certainly doesn't ruin a WDW trip, I never said that. I merely said that it was overpriced, low quality food. Anything tastes good fried, doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. For me, I can't sit down at LeCellier and drop 50 dollars for a mediocre steak without thinking A SMALL bit to the filet I had last week at Mortons.... how can you blame me?

Upvote 0

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It certainly doesn't ruin a WDW trip, I never said that. I merely said that it was overpriced, low quality food. Anything tastes good fried, doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. For me, I can't sit down at LeCellier and drop 50 dollars for a mediocre steak without thinking A SMALL bit to the filet I had last week at Mortons.... how can you blame me?

I don't blame you at all. I have done the same. I tend to agree with you for the most part. I think that where we disagree is that I don't really consider the food "low quality". I think if you do a direct compare against outside locations, the quality to cost ratio skews goes against Disney, but I have had good / great food every trip I've been there. Is it "fine dining", well, Cosmic Ray's is not (and I'm not knocking that joint, I happen to love it).

But I'd put Citricos and California Grill up there against some great meals I've had. And for the most part, I think that Disney offers great food options for all. You are paying the premium for eating "their" food, and no one at all will begrudge you for deciding that the food is not worth the money for you and packing your own. Like in every other aspect of a Disney trip, food is subjective.

Upvote 0

lebeau

I've actually put a lot of thought into this just about every trip.

Yes, Disney resorts and food are more expensive. If I stay offsite, I can get more for my money. BUT, Disney resorts are very convenient. BUT, I can stay at lots of places that are about as close as on-property. And driving is usually faster than the bus service.

BUT driving is a chore. And then you have to pay parking (which is ridiculous). And schlep your way to and from the parking lot. BUT the bus service was really awful on our last trip. Plus if you stay off site and have a car, you can save a fortune on food. BUT, if your party wants to split up, you are either out of luck or someone has to act as a shuttle driver.

I go back and forth like this over and over before every trip. My wife hates the rooms at WDW. And yet, when I asked her, she said she'd prefer to stay on site to make it easier to get the kids back to the room for an afternoon nap.

Being stuck on property with only WDW food options can get really expensive. And the food options aren't as diverse as they used to be. If you're on the dining plan, you can quickly burn out on some of the repetitive over-the-counter options.

On the other hand, there are some Disney dining experiences that feel like an essential part of our Disney vacation. It wouldn't be a trip to Disney without some character meals. And we always eat at 50's Prime Time Cafe at least once. Not fine dining by any stretch, but when you're hungry from the parks, it hist the spot. And you can't beat the atmosphere.

I keep asking myself if the pros (convenience, atmosphere) outweigh the cons (price, limited accomodations, price). It's a delicate balance. I think you can justify either decision. I've done both and I can't say either is a clear choice.

Upvote 0

ShadyLady

There are a lot of shortcuts you can take in life and save yourself some $. Wear layers & keep the thermostat down in the winter. Dont have cable. Carpool.

We spend money bc it adds to convenience & experience. The worst music to my ears is people telling me how much money they saved by taking microwave popcorn to the food court microwave for a snack at night.

We take our kids to Disney. And we buy them $10 balloons. And we do the Deluxe dining plan. And we do the Bippity Boppity Boutique and the Pirates League. And we stay on-property. At a value or moderate resort, because its what we can afford and not have to skimp on the other details.

Disney is not about saving money - its about the magic. And I dont want to create magical memories for my kids by popping our own snack at night back at the hotel.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

Simple answer .. because they can. If people didn't pay it, they wouldn't charge those prices. Supply and demand baby. Disney is a premium vacation no matter how you slice it (regardless of the resort you stay in) so you're going to pay for all of those extra intangibles (ie. experience, magic, pixie dust, etc .. whatever you want to call it)

We don't like the prices but we keep paying. Why? If you can let me know then I'd sure save a lot of money!! lol.

Think of it like this. It's like saying "Man, I wish people would stop buying BMWs because then the price would go down and I could get one." Well, theres a reason they sell so many cars, and it's not just because it's worth twice as much more than a Honda Accord (for example). If the price went down enough that everyone could afford it then many people would no longer want it so badly. Again, it's a premium product so you're not just buying the car but all the other things that go with it.

And so it goes with Disney.

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

Even at the value level, I am seeing prices between 1375 and 1500 without airfare! From what I have read, the resorts at this level should really not be considered resorts and are more like hotels. How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

I was just wondering how people feel about the value of the resort compared to staying outside.

Check the special offers page on the Walt Disney World Website. One of the great benefits of booking a Walt Disney Travel package is that there is a minimal deposit needed to secure your reservation. Also keep in mind that when you book a package and stay at one of the walt disney world resort, you immersed in the magic. You can have free transportation from the MCO and of course the free transportation to the parks. Also, if you book a package and a special offer does come out for your travel dates, you can contact Disney and modify your reservation. What I used to do, before I became a cast member, when I booked a package and made the deposit I would make monthly payments, that way the final payment wouldn't be that bad.

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

They're expensive because people keep paying their inflated prices. I've seen a significant decline in pretty much everything Disney offers over the last few years and I think a lot of other long time Disney visitors notice the same thing. I won't pay deluxe prices unless I get a discount and if Disney isn't offering a savings, I won't go or I'll look at other options.

After our next trip we're taking a break from the mouse for a while.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom