Why are WDW resorts so expensive?

ddbowdoin

My last trip was May of 2010 and I have to say that I made out like a complete bandit. A week, spent off site (1 mile from parks) and tickets for 1K total. That figure included a 7 day park hopper, direct flights (via logan, jet blue), lodging (free breakfast is beyond clutch), car rental, and 14 a day parking fee's at the park. The first day landing we went straight to Publix, picked up the essentials and each day we brought deli sandwiches. Boars head meats, quality bread selection, and spreads simply outmatches any choices from the quick dining options at Disney. I'm 25, not 12... how many days in a row can I eat chicken fingers and french fries?

Even at the value level, I am seeing prices between 1375 and 1500 without airfare! From what I have read, the resorts at this level should really not be considered resorts and are more like hotels. How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

I was just wondering how people feel about the value of the resort compared to staying outside.

DisneyJoe

after reading all of these posts it seems that staying on WDW property is only worth it if you have the money to drop on the nice resorts.... seems people bring up the ease of monorails and what not but the cheap hotels get stuck on busses.

Depends - many of us don't mind buses at all. I spend 60-90 minutes EACH WAY to/from work every day, on buses that are a lot worse (for various reasons) - and that doesn't include the time to wait for the bus. This makes the Disney bus system a DREAM for me when on vacation - at WDW my average wait is 5-15 minutes, and the longest travel time may be 20-25 minutes (DTD anyone?, AKL to MK maybe).

Don't forget, even if you pay to be on the monorail, the monorail only takes you to 2 parks - MK and Epcot - you would still need to bus to AK and DHS.

Upvote 0

lebeau

As a parent of 3 kids, I'm thinking more of staying OFF property as paying $150+(mod) to live on top of each other for a week compared to $100ish a night for a vacation HOUSE.....yeah... lol And busses aren't that practical with strollers and small children.

Don't I know it!

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Then the question is: Disney engagement, Disney wedding, Disney honeymoon or all of the above?

could be a Honeymoon... but no way for a wedding. I'd be down for a WDW wedding but her family has the checkbook and they call the shots. She has a large family so a destination wedding would not be ideal for her older family members.

engagement could be a possibility...

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
ok... status update... I MIGHT be booking a trip at WDW for this March 2011 at a WDW resort. I just got some exciting deals from WDW (via email) that would equal an offsite price.

This is exciting.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Skellington

We have stayed in villas off site numerous times. brought sandwiches and cool aid to the parks. In Oct 2010, my husband and I went for our anniversary and stayed onsite. needless to say, we will never bring another sandwich into the park. Now, that being said, I don't like eating buffets for lunch or dinner ( Bad experience at Play and Dine on Hollywood and Vine). I love most of the QS restaurants and all of the table service that we tried. We normally travel with 15-20 people ranging from a few months old to an 80 year old wheel chair bound grandfather who loves roller coasters at Disney.:ROFLOL: We always thought it would be easier to stay in a house all together and commute back and forth to the parks. My husband and I came back raving about the bus service and the food and everyone else was on board with us. We love the fact that we can come back to the rooms and relax and go back for EMH later. When we stayed off-site, we normally stayed from open to close and everyone was tired and agrivated with everyone by the end of day one. We can now go back to our rooms, nap and the rejoin the group later if we choose to do so.
Yes, it is costing us more. (Stayed off-site for 1000 for eight nights, all of us in one house) where as its going to cost 905 for one room with four people in a value for 8 nights. We are getting the free qs plan and upgrading to ddp for the character breakfasts and table service meals. All in all, it is going to cost us a large chunk more. Do we mind? Not in the least. We booked our vacation 500 days out and are paying on it in time. We have four kids one who just started college and one who just got out of diapers. We have to budget every penny. The look on my childrens faces everytime we go to WDW is priceless. I would go every year if we could afford it but for now, every two years will do!

Upvote 0

koryadams

Well, with the whole meal part, being a DVC member is great because you get kitchens you can cook anything in. Also the cabins at Fort Wilderness have full kitchens. We make a trip to walmart after checking in to get food much cheaper, BUT we still eat at the parks because we like the unique dinning experiences!

For staying on property or to not, I have stayed on and off property, so I know the difference, and Staying on property will always win! Extra Magic Hours! lots of other great amenities and services. Parking fee's for a whole week is horrible...thats like 2 meals in the parks right there for a whole family.

So yes, staying on property is better, If you are able to afford it.

OH, one last thing, there are deals here and there Disney offers, but not regularly!

Upvote 0

Flip83

Location, convenient transportation, and basically it's the feel. I wouldn't feel the same staying at a Marriot or Holiday Inn offsite. I like the unique styles of each Disney resort. So do millions of other people. Also, you get those magic hours if you stay in the park, also very convenient.

And the whole quick serve thing. Can everyone please stop with the "how many times can i eat chicken fingers". Every quick serve spot is different. Do many offer chicken fingers? Yes. Because it's a seller. But there are SO many different choices for quick serve. If you order chicken fingers everytime, you chose to do that, and that's your fault. I always do Dining plan and i love having the nice sit down and being able to go get whatever we are in the mood for as our quick serve

Upvote 0

Flight Safety

Wow, a bit of an old post here but since its been revived I suppose I'll throw in my 2 cents.

First of all, In my opinion staying on property is the only way to enjoy a WDW "Vacation", period. You are simply immersed into a truly unique experience that only WDW can create. No need to deal with all of the silly neon tourist traps, traffic, etc., and most importantly no need to deal with reality. You're at Walt Disney World and that magical Walt Disney World experience sprinkled with pixie dust completely disappears the moment you leave property. Its like hitting a brick wall and going right back to reality.

I for one have spent many nights in offsite hotels, especially HI Express because of the $. However, I dont take "Vacations". I visit WDW monthly on 2, 3, or 4 day weekends. I do my best to stay on property at the very least in a value resort, but sometimes I just cant afford it at the time and being @ WDW for whatever occasion is more important than being able to stay on property. I spend every Birthday, Holiday, etc., and its these occasions that I like to be on property.

I think other than the feel and experience of being on property, having EMH is a must during peak season, especially when you've done most everything plenty of times.

Having seen both sides of the equation, packing PB&J in my backpack on certain trips and eating at Victoria & Alberts on others, :slurp: I know how it is. It's obvious that one of my favorite things to do is dine @ WDW, but sometimes again just like before, being in the world for the occasion is more important so PB&J will do just fine.

I am 27 next month, so Im about the same age and have no kids. I can definately tell you that when the day comes that I do have kids and bring them to WDW (which will be immediately after leaving the hospital after birth), nothing will change about the fact that I can enjoy the world both ways.

All that being said, If I were to take an actual "Vacation" for more than 3 or 4 days, I would not do it @ WDW unless I was on property. I couldnt do a whole week off property. I used to live less than 10 miles from WDW and it would be no different than then. :wave:

Upvote 0

mp2bill

Location and convenience.

As other threads have pointed out, Disney's greediness is starting to lose them resort guests. We all want what's convenient, but Disney seems to be unaware of this slight economic downturn we're in and just keeps on jacking resort prices up.

Good point.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom