Why are WDW resorts so expensive?

ddbowdoin

My last trip was May of 2010 and I have to say that I made out like a complete bandit. A week, spent off site (1 mile from parks) and tickets for 1K total. That figure included a 7 day park hopper, direct flights (via logan, jet blue), lodging (free breakfast is beyond clutch), car rental, and 14 a day parking fee's at the park. The first day landing we went straight to Publix, picked up the essentials and each day we brought deli sandwiches. Boars head meats, quality bread selection, and spreads simply outmatches any choices from the quick dining options at Disney. I'm 25, not 12... how many days in a row can I eat chicken fingers and french fries?

Even at the value level, I am seeing prices between 1375 and 1500 without airfare! From what I have read, the resorts at this level should really not be considered resorts and are more like hotels. How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

I was just wondering how people feel about the value of the resort compared to staying outside.

captainkidd

Location and convenience.

As other threads have pointed out, Disney's greediness is starting to lose them resort guests. We all want what's convenient, but Disney seems to be unaware of this slight economic downturn we're in and just keeps on jacking resort prices up.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

How do people get deals, because I check frequently and am on many emails lists, and still there's no way I can justify spending the money inside the park when so many options outside are close and cheap. Now, I don't have a family so the magic of the resorts will be considered once I have little ones.

You answered part of your question yourself, right there :D Now, I liked staying onsite even before having a kid, but the convenience of being onsite, of having Disney transportation (far from perfect, but has its allure, especially when you're exhausted at the end of the day, don't want to deal with traffic, etc), and the themeing of the resorts themselves (aka "The Disney magic"), especially when you have kids...well, I'm not going to be the load that says "you can't put a price tag on that." Clearly, you CAN put a price tag on that, and Disney does :eek: But it does make you shift the goal posts a bit in terms of what is or is not "Worth it."

You got yourself a good deal, from the sound of it. Maybe even a great deal, but not knowing what hotel you stayed at, I'm tempering my compliments a touch. I'm not saying "must've been a stinkhole," but it's possible that it had fewer-frills than what a lot of people may want in their hotel or resort. Buying and making more of your own grub will certainly save you a ton of dough, but for a lot of people, dining out is as much a part of their vacation as anything else, even at a premium.

As far as resort/hotel prices go, yeah, WDW's prices are higher that a lot of hotels in the area. But a lot of the hotels in the area are competing with Disney more than Disney is competing with them, know what I mean? And finally, there are plenty of vacation destinations where Disney's prices would be considered average. It's just that, again, right outside the radius of the magic are hundreds of hotels all scrambling for the scraps of tourist dollars not consumed by the mouse. By offering free transportation to and from the airport, and free transportation while onsite, lots of people never leave WDW's grounds, and never rent a car (which allows Disney tourists to rationalize their purchases some more - "sure I'm paying hundreds more for my WDW room, but I'm not renting a car or paying to get there from the airport, so that's money saved").

I guess we'll see if you feel the same way when you got some wee ones who want to be 6 inches from the Castle at all times :)

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
You answered part of your question yourself, right there :D Now, I liked staying onsite even before having a kid, but the convenience of being onsite, of having Disney transportation (far from perfect, but has its allure, especially when you're exhausted at the end of the day, don't want to deal with traffic, etc), and the themeing of the resorts themselves (aka "The Disney magic"), especially when you have kids...well, I'm not going to be the load that says "you can't put a price tag on that." Clearly, you CAN put a price tag on that, and Disney does :eek: But it does make you shift the goal posts a bit in terms of what is or is not "Worth it."

You got yourself a good deal, from the sound of it. Maybe even a great deal, but not knowing what hotel you stayed at, I'm tempering my compliments a touch. I'm not saying "must've been a stinkhole," but it's possible that it had fewer-frills than what a lot of people may want in their hotel or resort. Buying and making more of your own grub will certainly save you a ton of dough, but for a lot of people, dining out is as much a part of their vacation as anything else, even at a premium.

As far as resort/hotel prices go, yeah, WDW's prices are higher that a lot of hotels in the area. But a lot of the hotels in the area are competing with Disney more than Disney is competing with them, know what I mean? And finally, there are plenty of vacation destinations where Disney's prices would be considered average. It's just that, again, right outside the radius of the magic are hundreds of hotels all scrambling for the scraps of tourist dollars not consumed by the mouse. By offering free transportation to and from the airport, and free transportation while onsite, lots of people never leave WDW's grounds, and never rent a car (which allows Disney tourists to rationalize their purchases some more - "sure I'm paying hundreds more for my WDW room, but I'm not renting a car or paying to get there from the airport, so that's money saved").

I guess we'll see if you feel the same way when you got some wee ones who want to be 6 inches from the Castle at all times :)

Yes, I failed to mention where I stayed. Baymont Inn and Suites. The hotel is located just one mile up on Bronson Hgwy and was a great hotel for the price. Pretty comfortable bed, 40 inch HDTV with full cable, nice pool with Cabana poolside bar. But I can honestly say I spent little to NO time in my actual room. I was up at 7, breakfast, and off the park... coming back home around 11, maybe a few beers around the area, and passed out ready for another day.

Thats one of my problems with dropping the money at Disney... for me, I'm not a relaxing type vacationer so I'll likely spend no time at the resort and will be Parkin' all day.

Upvote 0

becanya

We don't go to WDW because it's a good value. Clearly it's not. I have no doubt that I could get a better deal off-resort. In fact, I know that I could.

I think of it similar to the way I would think of a cruise. I can fly to St. John and stay in a 2 bedroom house for a week for a cheaper price than taking a 3 day cruise there and getting to spend 4 hours on the beach. I should know, we have done it.

I stay on resort because our WDW vacation is a package, a process that is important and magical IMHO. I LOVE riding the magical express to our hotel. I LOVE riding the boat from the WL to MK. I LOVE our awesome hotel pool. I LOVE being in a place where everyone else is doing the exact same thing I am doing, and we are all equally excited about being there. I LOVE being in a place where the CM are committed to giving my children a magical experience. We do the deluxe dining plan, because we like being able to choose a sit-down restaurant for every meal, and we usually do. I think the food is very good, and the restaurants engaging and fun. And last, but not least, I LOVE being able to obsessively plan my vacation!

Upvote 0

lebeau

Thats one of my problems with dropping the money at Disney... for me, I'm not a relaxing type vacationer so I'll likely spend no time at the resort and will be Parkin' all day.

My wife is a relaxing-type. She'd be happy to visit the parks for an hour or so on a couple days of our vacation. Long story short, we spend a lot of time in our room.

Ironically, this also works against staying on property. For the money you pay, the rooms are awfully small very, very few amenities. On our last trip, we spent a lot of time stuck in our room at POR with two small kids climbing on everything. It was not comfortable.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
wish I had the money for a proper vacation... at least a moderate resort. No offense to anyone who enjoys the value stays but the all stars resorts and what not don't have much appeal, to me at least. My gf and her family are the exact opposite, they've only stayed on site and have never ventured outside... but they stay at Boardwalk and Beach Club so money isn't really tight in their world.

Upvote 0

becanya

wish I had the money for a proper vacation... at least a moderate resort. No offense to anyone who enjoys the value stays but the all stars resorts and what not don't have much appeal, to me at least. My gf and her family are the exact opposite, they've only stayed on site and have never ventured outside... but they stay at Boardwalk and Beach Club so money isn't really tight in their world.

I'm with you...this is why my first trip wasn't until we had paid off extraneous debt. It's expensive, but I place vacations high on my list of priorities. I can drive old cars as long as I get to vacation well. But we all have our priorities...right?:p

Upvote 0

Mukta

The first day landing we went straight to Publix, picked up the essentials and each day we brought deli sandwiches. Boars head meats, quality bread selection, and spreads simply outmatches any choices from the quick dining options at Disney. I'm 25, not 12... how many days in a row can I eat chicken fingers and french fries?

I think it is great that you saved so much money on this trip. Congrats!
That being said, when I go on vacation, I don't want to eat sandwiches that I make myself. I also don't eat chicken fingers or fries. That is why I enjoy the table service restaurants at WDW. I don't want to cook or clean up after my meals on vacation. I know that it is expensive, but food is part of what I budget in a vacation. It is worth it for me.

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

If all you're getting at WDW is chicken fingers and fries then you are missing out on some wonderful "real" food! But it is at a cost, which is why we simply will not go without a dining plan. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if we only had the choice to eat at quick service places. :(

As for the hotels, we loved the Pop Century for the value but maybe you need to experience a moderate or deluxe to see why people pay the prices they do. We've stayed in all three and have loved all of them. I will say we all did enjoy the deluxe the most, however. :king:

We're just "regular" people. No corporate or crazy high paying jobs here, but we go all out because we only go every other year. It's great to experience a luxury we don't experience in our every day lives. I wouldn't even consider taking our own food to the parks to eat, that's not a vacation to me. I can have a Boar's Head sandwich on Publix deli bread anytime I want at home, I can't have sticky toffee pudding! :slurp:

In the end, I guess it's what you make of it. To me, it's only money. We may be broke when we get home but I wouldn't trade the memories we make at the parks, hotel or restaurants for all the money in the world. :)

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
lol... not to sound like a food snob but here in Boston we have phenomenal food, even the nicest Epcot dining options don't compare to what we have here. Disney and food don't go together for me. Obviously thats just my HO.

I guess my beef is more with the value resorts. I can understand where the higher end prices come into play, but I think the prices for the value resorts are incredibly inflated.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Of course they are overinflated. But it doesn't stop them from being packed with people anyway. Disney is just an expert in estimating the highest possible income possible even when it is jacked up higher than market rate would estimate....

But people stay at them for several reasons: sheer convenience of the bus service to and from the parks and the other attractions with no car, no need to park, no need to drive anywhere....extended magical hours is another huge draw -- the parks are positively packed during the early hour opening or the late night openings for a reason -- and for a lot of people that EMH is more important than price...

I agree, however, on food...I live in Ann Arbor MI now where we have dozens of restaurants far superior to anything at Walt Disney World including 5-stars... and I used to live in NYC and there is simply no comparison ---but for a lot of folks heading to WDW from middle America, the food IS a draw. It just depends on where you normally dine and the options that you have. And WDW has become an international vacation destination -- so it's great to have options for people even if some of us have better options at home. People rave about Raglan Road -- but they don't have Conor O'Neil's a five minute walk from home. Others swear by Le Cellier...but they don't have Knight's Steakhouse a five minute drive from home. Rant over, I'll stop there.

Upvote 0

redshoesrock

I definitely see both sides of the issue - there is something to staying on property and paying a premium for it. On the other hand, there are some great off-site hotels that are very nice and are much cheaper, but you don't get that Disney feel. Myself, as long as the room is clean and the bed is also, it's fine with me. When I went to Disneyland, I stayed at the nearby Motel 6 and I had no complaints.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

I agree with the posts that stated vacation is not about skimping. For me it's not a vacation at Disney unless I am eating the food and enjoying the activities being offered. I will cut corners by staying at a value resort on property if I have to since I am out all day. I mostly stay at the Dolphin though and it really adds quality to my vacation.
I live in NYC and in my opinion we have the best food in the world here. It truly is a World Showcase. I can get authentic ethnic food from any country in the world and it is amazing. However, when I am in Disney I enjoy what's being offered. There are some very good restaurants there (with prices higher than NYC). Just fries and chicken nuggets? Not at all.
The key is to save for your vacation at Disney so when you're there you can enjoy. Remember it's a vacation!

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

lol... not to sound like a food snob but here in Boston we have phenomenal food, even the nicest Epcot dining options don't compare to what we have here. Disney and food don't go together for me. Obviously thats just my HO.

I guess my beef is more with the value resorts. I can understand where the higher end prices come into play, but I think the prices for the value resorts are incredibly inflated.

I've only stayed at Pop Century, and haven't had any problems with it. I don't really think the price is that bad, especially considering the convenience factor. Once we get down there, we never have to get back in a car until we either leave or decide to go to Universal, and you don't have to deal with any hassle of trying to park every day, getting back to your car, and you don't have to pay the $14 fee.

For me, it's the Moderates that I can't really find as much of a justification for staying in. I'm sure they're a bit nicer than the values, but I pretty much use the hotel as a place to stay in between visits to the park, so a few extra perks don't matter too much.

I hope to stay in a deluxe one day, and think that things like the water taxi at the MGM/EPCOT resorts, safari/animal stuff at AK, and especially the Monorail at the MK resorts would justify a stay in one at some point.

Upvote 0

Flip83

Ue

I hear what you're saying... But it's a vacation for reason. You may have your views and opinions on what a vacation is, and thats perfectly fine. To me, a vacation, especially a Disney Vacation, is all about that special feeling we get by staying on property, taking that disney bus to and from the resort, the unique pools, magic hours, and all the other amenities. We go with a Disney Dining plan, because they have some of the best chefs at their restaurants, and we get those special treats from spots we've always gone to our whole lives. I cant remember eating chicken fingers n fries every day, nor ever. Sure, with a quick serve I "could" get a burger. But look at all the places.. There are SO many different quickserves you can go to for a quick bite. But, besides that, i know we have an amazing table service dinner or breakfast everyday too. I dont make sandwiches on vacation. You're on a vacation because you've worked hard to earn it... So spoil yourself. Just my opinion, not trying to be rude. Prices have gone a bit high, sure. But if I can't afford to at least stay at a Value resort when I'm ready to go, then i'll wait a little longer till I can. I know that my trip would not be the same staying at a Hilton or a Holiday Inn off property.

Only thing we do to cut some costs... Get a case of bottled water and gatorade, maybe a bag of pretzels to snack on in the room. That helps a little to bringg a couple bottles of water in your bag at the parks. But it's a vacation, I accept Disney is expensive and If I want to overpay for an awesome Dole Whip... Then I will everytime haha.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We have never stayed in a Disney Resort. We stay 1 mile outside the parks. It is very convenient, clean and comfortable. Going in the off season there is no traffic coming and going from the parks. We can be back to our room in 15 minutes. We're never in our rooms from 8:00 in the mornings until after 9pm most nights and so it seems crazy to spend the amount of money it costs to stay in a Disney resort. For the amount of $ that we save by staying offsite we can go every year and stay 10 days each time. We eat 90% of our meals outside the parks also. We are not big eaters and don't require three large meals each day. We have in the past done a few character buffets, and their nice, but we can get just as good in a variety of places for much less. I've read where the Value resort rooms are very small, and you have to pay for simple amenities such as internet service and even a fridge or microwave in your room. Our lodging comes with those amenties. We don't skimp on a single thing on our trip, enjoying Mickey bars just like the next person. We've often made sandwiches in our room or picked up a pizza for dinner. I'm sure the resorts are nice. It's all in how one wishes to spend their money.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I hear what you're saying... But it's a vacation for reason. You may have your views and opinions on what a vacation is, and thats perfectly fine. To me, a vacation, especially a Disney Vacation, is all about that special feeling we get by staying on property, taking that disney bus to and from the resort, the unique pools, magic hours, and all the other amenities. We go with a Disney Dining plan, because they have some of the best chefs at their restaurants, and we get those special treats from spots we've always gone to our whole lives. I cant remember eating chicken fingers n fries every day, nor ever. Sure, with a quick serve I "could" get a burger. But look at all the places.. There are SO many different quickserves you can go to for a quick bite. But, besides that, i know we have an amazing table service dinner or breakfast everyday too. I dont make sandwiches on vacation. You're on a vacation because you've worked hard to earn it... So spoil yourself. Just my opinion, not trying to be rude. Prices have gone a bit high, sure. But if I can't afford to at least stay at a Value resort when I'm ready to go, then i'll wait a little longer till I can. I know that my trip would not be the same staying at a Hilton or a Holiday Inn off property.

Only thing we do to cut some costs... Get a case of bottled water and gatorade, maybe a bag of pretzels to snack on in the room. That helps a little to bringg a couple bottles of water in your bag at the parks. But it's a vacation, I accept Disney is expensive and If I want to overpay for an awesome Dole Whip... Then I will everytime haha.

I can definitely see how people talk about the magic, if I had little ones it wouldn't even be a question. When I was younger my parents put it this way... one week inside the park or two weeks outside, your choice. It's obvious what my brother and I chose.

Again, I'm probably coming off as a food snob but I was only referring to the "chicken fingers and fries" line as a representative of the type of food offered at the quick service type counters. Burgers, wraps, sandwiches, etc etc etc... it's all sub par food. I know its vacation and you have to "spoil" yourself but you have to draw the line somewhere. People here rave about LeCellier and what not, I have been and while it was an enjoyable experience have people never been to a Smith and Wollenskys or a Ruths Chris? I guess I look at price vs. value and for 60 a head I was not impressed with the quality of food. But, my standard steak experience is not the Sizzler so it all depends on your standards I suppose.

Food is pretty minor, and it's off topic so I apologize. I just wanted to further explain where I was coming from.

EMH are the only reason I have considered it. That is just AWESOME. When I was at WDW last May I remember MK being open until 1AM and the parks weren't THAT busy... I could have used a solid 10+ rides on SM. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Buckeye

Disney is pricing me out of coming down in 2011. We have gone to WDW every other year for about ten years. 2011 is our summer to go. However, without some sort of discount, it is just too expensive for us. So, instead of Disney Co. getting a little less of our money by offering a nice discount, they are getting none of our money by us not coming at all. I know my few thousand dollars won't sink the company, but I'd be willing to bet there are others in the same situation. It makes me sad, but the cost of Magic has surpassed our budget.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom