Why are there so many people who don't like Epcot??

kachow

I agree that the park is better than when it opened, but I still find "Future World," to be a bit too much of a mish-mosh. MS and TT are fun rides, but it's tough to really pick up a theme there. My wife and I joke when we're in there, "In the future, all trees will be square....In the future, all signage will be written in intelligible, techno-looking fonts.....In the future, strange music will be piped into public spaces....In the future, water will squirt out of the ground at random times...."

What I would do with that area, is improve the theming in the open areas and then you don't have to worry about the attractions not always fitting the theme. Put moving sidewalks and all sorts of future technology stuff in the common areas to fit within Walt's Experimental Prototypical Community Of Tomorrow idea, and then you can keep the attractions a mish-mosh.

Since1976

It's funny how our tastes change as we mature, eh? As a kid, I felt Future World was the better part of EPCOT (True, that was back when Horizons and World of Motion were still around). Now, as an adult, I can't wait to get into World Showcase. If I had my way, we'd do Epcot every evening on our vacation so that we could try every country's cuisine!

And let's not forget the musical fireworks masterpiece that is Illuminations!

MayKit

What annoys me...

are the people who won't take their kids to Epcot because their kids "don't wanna go." Are there that many people who let their child run the WHOLE vacation? If the kids end up not liking it after they go, fine, but, well, didn't everyone get dragged somewhere they weren't crazy about on vacation because their parents wanted to go?

blackerbys17

Since1976 said:
It's funny how our tastes change as we mature, eh?

How true! My siblings and I all really disliked Epcot as kids and I was the first one to "turn" years ago, I can't get enough of the place! Though I admit, I spend most of my time there in the France, UK, and Canada areas. Nothing like drinking a beer while you listen to Off Kilter, then off to Boulangerie Pattiserie (spelling?) to grab some Creme Brulee just in time for viewing Illuminations from the lower terrace at the island in France. :slurp: Perfection!

It's funny, my oldest brother hated it most of all and when he went on his honeymoon last December he said, "You know what? I actually had a really good time at Epcot!". LOL, he seemed so surprised! It seems he had just walked right past most of WS and never stopped to take it all in. Apparently, him and his new bride did a lot of eating there and now he has a new found apreciation for the place.

But again, exposure to other cultures and their cuisine is not for everybody. I love it and go to Epcot every time I go, even if it is just a 1 day trip. I always make time for it.

To all of those here who don't care for Epcot, if you have hoppers or an annual pass, how about just having dinner there 1 night while on your trip? It is a whole new world at night. You might just fall in love with the place. :wave:

I always like FW as a kid, as did my brother (all the video games at Innoventions), but as we got older we started to appreciate the park for all of its components. I'm not crazy about World Showcase, but I do enjoy it, and couldn't leave the World without walking around it at least once. And I'm ashamed to admit I used to think American Adventure was boring. That's the coolest fricking show in all of the parks!

Ralphlaw

Top 10 Stupid Reasons for Hating Epcot

It occurs to me that people who dislike EPCOT have bad reasons for doing so. Let's make a list.

10. Too much walking. Yes, it stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired, and it is more walking than the other parks. Too bad. Walking is good for you. You don't hear the Brits or Germans complain about walking. Be tough.

9. Too educational. Fine, stay ignorant. But most people do not go into brain-numb mode simply because they are on vacation. Disney makes it fun to learn, and it can be both relaxing, fun and pleasant to learn when Disney is in charge.

8. Not enough characters. Wait a minute, you can't take a break from Mickey and Donald to talk to an actual person from Morocco, Norway, or Japan. Yes, the Disney characters are great, but people from other countries are too. And the characters drop by Epcot as well. Watch for the red bus.

7. I don't know what's in those buildings. Great stuff. Stop in and take a look. You cannot possibly see all of it in one day.

6. Young kids don't like it, especially World Showcase. True, maybe, but unless your child is dieing of luekemia you shouldn't bow to all of their wishes. Threaten to leave them home next time. Plus the Kidcot stops and and other street performers are great for kids.

5. I don't like Illuminations. Well, you should see a mental health professional.

4. I can't see the globe during Illuminations. Valid criticism. My advice, see it again from a different vantage point, perhaps near Norway.

3. I don't like science. Well, maybe you will after Futureworld, and I can't believe there would be nothing of interest to you in ALL of the pavilions. There must be something there among the Plants, Seas, Space, Energy, and World Showcase. If nothing else, watch the Jamitors. Who doesn't like drumming clean-up crews?

2. I prefer the other parks. Fine. You shouldn't spend time there if you don't like it, but Disney is constantly changing. Try it again in after a few year break.

1. It's not what I picture when I think of Disney. Okay, well Disney is evolving. Walt Disney World now lends itself to futuristic exploration and international unity. Read a book on the World's Fairs of the past, and you may understand Epcot a bit more.

Alright, this is long enough. Enjoy.

kachow

I think a big reason for the change of heart for adults is that you appreciate the food and drink. I'm with everyone else who has said they've shifted their love toward the WS.

annadseal

Yeah, like everyone else, I had less appreciation for EPCOT when I was younger. On our last trip, however, I was really anxious to get there and do the World Showcase. We would always do it when I was little, but like I said, I had never really appreciated it before. It's tied with the Magic Kingdom as my favorite park now, and I can't wait for our next trip! First post, hah! :wave:

vmkaddict

Food, drink, and the drums in Japan.....they rule!!! EPCOT gets my vote. Now all it needs is the Tapestry of Dreams parade to come back.

LilRoo714

When I was little our parents didn't give us a choice - Epcot was one of the days on our Orlando trip. And we got park hoppers so we could go back to Epcot and eat at a different country every night. I think those memories of watching the laser light show (pre-Illuminations of today) were some of the best of our trip. My parents took us to the park at the time they thought we'd enjoy (fireworks) and in return we gladly went to the park without complaint in the daytime... good tip for the "don't wanna go" children. They're much more receptive once they've got a good association with the park already. :)

Ralphlaw said:
It occurs to me that people who dislike EPCOT have bad reasons for doing so. Let's make a list.

10. Too much walking. Yes, it stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired, and it is more walking than the other parks. Too bad. Walking is good for you. You don't hear the Brits or Germans complain about walking. Be tough.

9. Too educational. Fine, stay ignorant. But most people do not go into brain-numb mode simply because they are on vacation. Disney makes it fun to learn, and it can be both relaxing, fun and pleasant to learn when Disney is in charge.

8. Not enough characters. Wait a minute, you can't take a break from Mickey and Donald to talk to an actual person from Morocco, Norway, or Japan. Yes, the Disney characters are great, but people from other countries are too. And the characters drop by Epcot as well. Watch for the red bus.

7. I don't know what's in those buildings. Great stuff. Stop in and take a look. You cannot possibly see all of it in one day.

6. Young kids don't like it, especially World Showcase. True, maybe, but unless your child is dieing of luekemia you shouldn't bow to all of their wishes. Threaten to leave them home next time. Plus the Kidcot stops and and other street performers are great for kids.

5. I don't like Illuminations. Well, you should see a mental health professional.

4. I can't see the globe during Illuminations. Valid criticism. My advice, see it again from a different vantage point, perhaps near Norway.

3. I don't like science. Well, maybe you will after Futureworld, and I can't believe there would be nothing of interest to you in ALL of the pavilions. There must be something there among the Plants, Seas, Space, Energy, and World Showcase. If nothing else, watch the Jamitors. Who doesn't like drumming clean-up crews?

2. I prefer the other parks. Fine. You shouldn't spend time there if you don't like it, but Disney is constantly changing. Try it again in after a few year break.

1. It's not what I picture when I think of Disney. Okay, well Disney is evolving. Walt Disney World now lends itself to futuristic exploration and international unity. Read a book on the World's Fairs of the past, and you may understand Epcot a bit more.

Alright, this is long enough. Enjoy.

uhh... last time i checked, people could not like things if they wanted to. i wouldnt call these stupid reasons but that they can be considered mis-informed ideas. i personally like epcot but i didnt like it as much pre-soarin and m:s.

Jen Jen

Ralphlaw said:
You don't hear the Brits or Germans complain about walking. Be tough.

9. Too educational. Fine, stay ignorant. But most people do not go into brain-numb mode simply because they are on vacation.

I couldn't care less about what Europeans or anyone else does or thinks. I've never learned a single blasted thing at Epcot, and learning is definitely not what I go on vacation for. If these were legitimate problems I think they would be legitimate reasons for not liking the park. However, they are not legitimate problems. Epcot is hands down my husband's and my favorite park.

Like I said, we've never learned anything there. Both of us being "extreme right wing conservatives", we let some of the slightly left leaning messages go in one ear and right back out the other. (BTW, where did anyone get the idea that the left were the only "intellectuals" in this country?) So we might hear "educational" stuff, but we don't learn it. Besides, we've both got way too much information to process at work to actually try to absorb any while on vacation...that's supposed to be what we're on vacation from! So instead of learning it, we just hear it, and we enjoy it.

As to walking...we both are overweight, out of shape and hate walking, but we love this park. When we get tired, we sit on a bench for a while...problem solved! That's probably part of the reason we do love Epcot so much...it's so much more relaxing and less frenzied than the other parks. FW is ok, but we could spend forever in WS and be happy about it. It's just so pleasant!

We're spending 7 days at the World in Nov/Dec...we have 3 days dedicated to Epcot! I can't wait!

:xmas:

CaptainMichael

I think that Epcot recieved a bad reputation from its early "over educational" days. It was branded with the boring label. Slowly but surely, Disney is changing that image.

skiddles

no rush , plenty of beer

The only way to enjoty Epcot is to go slow, talk to the castmembers from around the world. look at the artisty and wander the small shops. best time is early in the morning just as the are opening up the showcase. BIG FAN, plus the dont sell beer in the magic Kingdom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom