Who Wants to be a Millionaire closing in August

lebeau

Millionaire was dated. It was a cultural phenomenon that ABC and Disney burned out before its time. It sounds like the new attraction would have more of a timeless quality than a show based on a cancelled game show. That's a good thing in my book.

CJR

DisneyGuyJake said:
Also, from the sound of this new ride rumor, this means they are giving up on the Sound Stages entirely. The studio productions was what always stood out on every trip I made to Studios as a kid. It was so cool back in 2000 walking through the upstairs viewing area of the soundstages and seeing sets from current TV show productions. It was part of the Studios luster. Its a shame that this amazing park, my favorite BTW, is quickly becoming "The Disney-MGM Park"

That's what I was thinking. There goes the only element that made "The Studios" the studios. Without Millionaire, it's nothing more than another park now and a bad one at that. You no longer feel like your in Hollywood coming in and the sense of a real studio is gone. When you go to Epcot, you feel like you're in another world. You feel magic in the Magic Kingdom. You feel the need to go on an adventure at the Animal Kingdom. At "the studios" you feel like you should walk around a carnival with indoor rides and shows. Seriously, the value in the park is gone. The point of it is no longer there, Millionaire was the last element left that kept it alive. Theme has no meaning at "The Studios". It's like everything is just tossed into the park somewhere rather than having an order. Compaired to the other Disney parks, that's sad. Regardless how good the ride is, the point of the park is gone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
DisneyGuyJake said:
Also, from the sound of this new ride rumor, this means they are giving up on the Sound Stages entirely. The studio productions was what always stood out on every trip I made to Studios as a kid. It was so cool back in 2000 walking through the upstairs viewing area of the soundstages and seeing sets from current TV show productions. It was part of the Studios luster. Its a shame that this amazing park, my favorite BTW, is quickly becoming "The Disney-MGM Park"
MGM has been this for quite some time now. Little to nothing is filmed there anymore. About the only "active" movie/TV activity there is a wardrobe and prop department.

My own personal feelings are a working studio is kind of a neat concept but I would rather have a movie themed park. If you have ever been on a movie set it is really a lot of waiting around with sporadic action. I would much rather go on a great attraction then view a static set with a bunch of people waiting around it any day.

GymLeaderPhil

Besides being dated WWTBAM also had a cult following of local annual passholders who, despite having competed and were not eligible to play again for thirty days, would always attempt to enter the hotseat. I've only seen the show probably ten or so times with friends and this seems to be a reoccuring problem.

A revamped Superstar Television would quell the need to see a live set and the problems that occur when prizes are introduced to an attraction.

dxwwf3

GymLeaderPhil said:
A revamped Superstar Television would quell the need to see a live set and the problems that occur when prizes are introduced to an attraction.

Now you're talking. Superstar Television was one of the best things about the Studios when it opened. I guess it was just too expensive to keep up.

YankeeMouse

We are from Chicago and go to The World about 3-4 times a year. My husband has been in the hot seat 13 times in the past few years, my son 9 times, myself 2 times and another son once. Our last trip in April, my husband was in the hot seat as the first contestant and when he got his answer wrong, our 18 year old son replaced him! They said it was the first time they had a father-son combination on one show. So we have gotten a lot of fun from Millionaire. When the now 18-year old was 12, he made it to the $250,000 question before losing. We sure enjoyed it, but now that it is going, I won't be a nervous wreck in the audience any more!

CTXRover

I suppose WWTBAM was always an eventual loss. It was fun while it lasted, but it was built like it was a temporary show and imo outlived its welcome. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but I'm more excited that a new RIDE is coming to the studios and finally using the other empty soundstages along Mickey Avenue. The whole "working studio" thing has been dead for a long time. Face it, Orlando will never become Hollywood East as Disney and Universal both hoped when they opened their respective parks. Holding onto empty soundstages that sit in a prime location for new experiences is pointless at this point.

Based on rumors, we are getting a new RIDE, that sounds as if it will be FAMILY-FRIENDLY utilizing new, state of the art TECHNOLOGY to replace a SHOW shoehorned into a visibly falling apart empty studio building. It sounds exactly like what many on here have been clamoring for. I for one am excited to see the end result.

Personally, I think a Pixar ride in that area will work great. They can turn that entire area of the park into an "animation courtyard/Toon Studios" as proposed for the re-working of WDSP. Besides Fantasmic! and the B&TB show (which could be retired for something new also) on Sunset, there is little to no area of the park that has anything semi-permanently to do with animated films at this point, so this could work thematically if they wanted.

Dizknee_Phreek

GymLeaderPhil said:
I third that! I was only able to see SST once before its demise. And honestly, it's probably the most memorable show I've ever seen at WDW. I keep hoping they'll bring it back somehow. It's an incredibly fun and entertaining concept, puts people into the "production" of a tv show, and, as you said, allows people to see a live set. It's perfect! And, isn't that theatre empty anyway, except for when celebrities visit?

dxwwf3 said:
Well said CTXRover
Agreed!

dizneycrazy09

CJR said:
That's what I was thinking. There goes the only element that made "The Studios" the studios. Without Millionaire, it's nothing more than another park now and a bad one at that. You no longer feel like your in Hollywood coming in and the sense of a real studio is gone. When you go to Epcot, you feel like you're in another world. You feel magic in the Magic Kingdom. You feel the need to go on an adventure at the Animal Kingdom. At "the studios" you feel like you should walk around a carnival with indoor rides and shows. Seriously, the value in the park is gone. The point of it is no longer there, Millionaire was the last element left that kept it alive. Theme has no meaning at "The Studios". It's like everything is just tossed into the park somewhere rather than having an order. Compaired to the other Disney parks, that's sad. Regardless how good the ride is, the point of the park is gone.

The Studios has basically become a park where all the attractions that don't fit into the themes of the other parks find a home. I agree with you that the entire point of the park is gone. it all began with that stupid hat being dropped in front of the GMR. Grr....:hammer:

Dizknee_Phreek

dizneycrazy09 said:
it all began with that stupid hat being dropped in front of the GMR.
Here, here!! :sohappy:

But actually it probably began when Eisner fired most of the animators. But you're right, the hat has done nothing to help the park.

nibblesandbits

Boardwalk Joe's said:
Ok, so they're replacing this show...any idea of what theyre gonna do with that horrible experience known as the drew carey sound stage?
so far...it's staying. Now...that could change in the future...but as of right now...no developments have really been heard.

Lee

Adventurer
The point of the park changed when production companies realized that it was a waste of money to ship actors, crew, equipment, etc. to Florida to shoot a film when it could be done much cheaper in L.A. or Vancouver.
That plus the animation department being closed.

A shame actually. When the Studios were in their hayday, you could take the Backlot tour and actually see a film being shot on the stages, and postproduction being done in the editing rooms. That was nice.:rolleyes:

That had didn't do it...that was just done to keep guests from identifying the Chinese Theatre as the icon of the park.

hunjadi

I completly agree

I was already agreeing with many of you before I even got to the later posts. The MGM studios were just so much more fun and authentic in the early days. I remember during my first visit seeing the Golden Girls and Empty Nest house. Then we took a really long tour through the sound stages. We saw post production and walked through all of those stages. I wonder, is all of the equipment still there? Are those observation rooms still there? I am actually in the business and own a recording studio so it was a thrill to see it all. I said that clearly, between MGM and Universal, MGM was much more of a real studio. Well not anymore. At least Universal advertises rental of the stages and could very well put production back in. Clearly MGM will not do that at all.

For me, the really bad thing about taking out Millionare and putting in a ride, is that will for once and for all seal the fate of the soundstages. At least now we can all hope that a production might take up residence there. Once they put in a ride, it is all gone and over for good. What really is the theme of this theme park at this point? The backstage tour really needs to go as there is nothing to see. Even the costume department is only for cast members. It has nothing to do with media production. They don't even let us see the old sets like Dalmations or Home Improvement. What is the point of all of this? Who is making these awful decisions? And I ask again, does anyone know... is the production equipment even there anymore? I'd love to get in there and see what used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom