Who takes kids out of school for WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2much2do

Originally posted by scoobyb44
The question is how would you feel if your child's teacher took a weeks vacation?

I recall having teachers who did do this. I remember the TWO weeks we had a sub in chemistry cuz the teacher was in Germany!

But again, it's apples and oranges!

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Once my teacher was the winner of a nation wide competition. She won best math teacher of the Year for the US! She got to go on a trip to Japan along with the other contest winners to discuss edcuation in the States vs. Japan, and learn new teaching methods. She was out of my class for 3 entire months. We had a sub for that time, an it was no problem. So what do you need to do? Get a sub for your student! lol

raven

I remember durring my sophmore year in high school, the school year just started and I went to school for 2 days then went on vacation with my parents for 2 weeks to Williamsburg Virginia, Washington DC, and Philidelphia. Since it was an "educational trip", my teachers didn't see a problem with it. (We had tickets for the Bi-Centenial of the signing of the Constitution).

But just like that, I always go to WDW in September because it is one of the lowerst populated times of the year. I usually go the week after Labor Day and the resort costs and air fare go way down.

I think if you really want to enjoy your trip to WDW without waiting in long lines and having to put up with fussy children because of it, go in the off-peek season. You will love it!

Goofette

Original Poster
I appreciate the input of both sides. I'm really glad to hear of all of you who've told me your stories (about missing school, or parents taking their kids out of school). My daughter, I was told by the teacher, was only 1 of about 5 in her class (of 21) who she didn't have problems with. She does as asked, respects the teacher/students, & recently was voted as the most helpful by her classmates (she has a certificate). She's won 2 other awards for being good (by the faculty). I'm very proud of her! She may not have the best grades in the class, but can they Really measure a student by the grades? As someone pointed out, she is still MY child, not the schools, and not the states. If they want to claim her so much they can purchase her clothes, shoes, school supplies :animwink:, spend the hours a night we spend on homework each evening, yes HOURS, and come to our house and take care of her when she's sick, hurt, or has bad dreams.

We have talked about visiting Epcot and she's so excited about going to the different countries. She comes home and tells me what all they are learning at school and one of the things she will be missing the week we're gone will be more lessons about past Presidents & America (anyone know what I'm thinking *grins*). I feel as though staying at AKL, and going to Epcot will be a wonderful learning experience for her. It will be something that will stay with her forever....can the school say that about those 5 days she'll be missing?

She has proven that she's a good kid, and I don't feel bad about treating her to some fun. I just wish the school would be a little more flexible. I guess we have to play by the rules and respect the schools policies. I did, however, tell her this evening that she'll be making up the work when we get back (except for what is not allowed), but she'll have NO HOMEWORK the whole time we're on Vacation :lol: Oh well, that's there choice :p

Thanks again for the Wonderful input, and as I said earlier, I appreciate hearing from both sides of the argument.

ps..One more thing, what about the junk we hear about "Family Values". I worked with children and MANY of our kids are falling through the cracks today because there's not anyone there for them, which is a shame. You'd think they would appreciate when a family would care enough to ASK for their childs homework to help them stay caught up.
Sorry this is such a long post.:(

sabian

My parents took me out of school to go to Disney World. I will definitely take my kids out because i plan on joining the vacation club upon my college graduation. In these days where family values and closeness are so important, I can;t imagine anything better than a family spending 5 days together, all day at Walt Disney World. Just think of the memories yopu will make, Goofette. Don't worry about what others are saying. Somemay just be nosy, others may be jealous. Believe me, The memories i have of going to Walt Disney World with my parents will stay with me forever. They are some of the best memories of my life with them. Disney World allows your child to see that you are human and fun, not just mom and dad. Take your trip and make your own lasting memories, ig nore all your critics.

tinkrbel

we live in texas and we normally take the girls out in may ..not one time have we every had a problem. The teachers in the girls schools have always thought that it was great .. One year the oldest was giving a big huge pile of homework that didnt all get done ..but it it didnt hurt her grades at all. In fact both have been straight A students since starting school and both have been going to WDW since they were babies. Both the girls score above average on the TAAS .. and both are in GT programs.. could it be WDW?? maybe ..maybe not ..but they have always had the very best teachers ( texas teachers are great!!) April and May are the last 2 months of the school year here .. there really isnt that much besides TAAS that is going on .. and most teachers say that a break after TAAS is something they all deserve. We are actually leaving the day after TAAS this year and even the principal said "great" . And all of the girls teachers have agreed over the years ..that a few days at WDW is much more educational then a month at school. If you put aside that MK and MGM are fun ..Epcot and AK are pure learning experiences. Heck my oldest granddaughter ( 13 in may) has been learning to speak, and write Japanese ..and has even been teaching one of her teachers and classmates. I cant see why 5 days at the end of the school year would be so damaging to her grades if she completed any assignments or make-up work :(

bearboysnc

My Father was a teacher, so he held school in the highest regard. We we never taken out of school, EXCEPT once to attend a Disney Stock Holders meeting. (where we also attended MK & EC)

I know here in Charlotte NC, the Schools actually gets PAID each day, each child is in school. If a child is sick or truent, the school loses funding for the child. The schools here have gotten extremely unforgiving about being abscent.

I would tell the school you have "FAMILY BUSINESS" in FL, and you also plan on attending the park.

tinkrbel

Originally posted by bearboysnc

I know here in Charlotte NC, the Schools actually gets PAID each day, each child is in school. If a child is sick or truent, the school loses funding for the child. The schools here have gotten extremely unforgiving about being abscent.

the loss of funding is true in texas too from what I understand.

Thespis

texas teachers are great!!)
Thank You! We think our parents are pretty great too!
the loss of funding is true in texas too from what I understand.
I don't believe this to be the case. Schools are funded according to enrollment at the beginning of the school year. Once you have a budget, that's your budget until next year's enrollment figures come out. I can't imagine the headache of trying to fund schools on a daily basis based on attendance. What a nightmare of paperwork!

tinkrbel

I don't believe this to be the case. Schools are funded according to enrollment at the beginning of the school year. Once you have a budget, that's your budget until next year's enrollment figures come out. I can't imagine the headache of trying to fund schools on a daily basis based on attendance. What a nightmare of paperwork!

thanks Thespis I wasnt sure about that .. since I dont actually have kids in school .. just grandkids in school ..so I dont keep up with that side of it :) I know we have independent school districts ..so they do all very here some. I cant just say that we have been "lucky" with teachers because the girls have changed towns and schools over the years ..they started out here in Marshall (btw they actually nominated one of there teachers for the WDW teacher of the year thingy once) And now are up near Texarkana. And as I said ..even this year year when they were asked ..all the teachers and both principals were great and said there were no problems and even look forward to hearing all about the vacation. Heck when went went in 2000 the girls took back a ton of info about all the countries in the Village and the people from those countries. Since Goofette is staying at AKL .. just the things her daughter will learn there will be worth it :) IMHO

Goofette

Original Poster
Again, Thank you all So much for the encouraging words and the wonderful suggestions of making it an educational experience as well as a fun vacation.

I have had some good news this morning (keeping fingers crossed :) ) I spoke with the District Office to see about the proper channels to take. I was EXTREMELY nice and explained what we were going to be doing and I wanted to make sure all of the proper paper work was filled out. Then I gradually went into asking about the policy on homework....To make a long story short, our district does not have that policy:eek: so she told me to make sure to talk to the principal, that she was very understanding and would work with us. The district office thought it would also be a wonderful learning experience. I explained to her about some of the things we were going to do (AKL, AK, Epcot....) for the educational aspect of it. And since they were learning about Past Presidents (and Benjamin Franklin today) I thought I would take her to the Hall of Presidents. I feel very encouraged by what I was told by the District office. Now I just have to wait for the Principal to get back (sometime this morning) to talk to her. This might work out after all.

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas, you all gave me the confidence to stand my ground and explain to them what a great opportunity this really is. Yes, it is going to be a blast, but she will learn also. You're all Great!!!:sohappy:

Thanks, Goofette

njchris65

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

I don't understand why a school would want to punish a child (expecially at that age) for something like this.

I know my family took me out of High School for a week to go to WDW (that was about 17 years ago (OMG.. I can't believe I just said that). And they were very nice. My History teacher even said "don't worry about making up anything", even tho that was my worst subject. :)

Goofette

Original Poster
Originally posted by njchris65
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

I don't understand why a school would want to punish a child (expecially at that age) for something like this.

I know my family took me out of High School for a week to go to WDW (that was about 17 years ago (OMG.. I can't believe I just said that). And they were very nice. My History teacher even said "don't worry about making up anything", even tho that was my worst subject. :)

:) 17 years...doesn't time just Fly By. Makes you realize how short life is and how we have to take advantage of every day and make everything in life count. And I bet you will never forget that vacation to WDW either, will you?

I am getting ready to call back in a minute, so I'll let everyone know how it goes. Like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and a little nervous :( why does the "Principal" always have that affect :lol: :lol:

bearboysnc

Quote "I don't believe this to be the case. Schools are funded according to enrollment at the beginning of the school year. "

I know for a fact, that, schools are given a basic flat fund for the year, but they are also given an extra ammount based on daily attendance. They do this because there was a high rate of truency (SP)? and drop outs. This gave the schools incentive to retain kids and keep them in school.

Thespis

The statement you quoted referred only to schools in Texas. No extra funds are added for attendance. Your state may be different.
As for truancy, the state takes parents to court and fines them. That seems to work pretty well. :)

Tramp

Originally posted by Goofette
I'm just wondering if many of you take your kids out of school to go to WDW or the ones of you in school, if your parents take you out. I didn't want to go during the summer, or spring breaks so we are taking our 2nd grader out of school. She will miss 5 days, but we're getting major grief over it. This is the first time she will get to go and we didn't want to go when it was overly crowded or really really hot. I sort of thought it wouldn't be a huge deal with her only being in 2nd grade and making good grades, but I guess I was wrong.
Thanks

Goofette:
In my very humble and often misguided opinion, I think 2nd grade would be the last time I would consider doing this as studies become more complicated as the child progresses.
I have to give you huge 'kudos' for being honest as to 'why' you want to go to WDW now ie., summer heat and spring break.

The "it's an education" and 'family bonding" arguments are so bogus that they don't register on the 'giggle meter.' These are just 'feel good' excuses to justify the guilt people feel for pulling their kid away from their studies. If going to WDW is a life experience, educational, or necessary for 'family bonding,' then let it be done on vacation time, it need not be done at the expense of academics...
The real reason most people pull their kids is for the reason you so honestly have admitted to...convenience, small crowds, nice weather, etc etc.. Yes, there are plenty of reasons that require some people to go at a specific time of the year, but that's more the exception than the rule.

At the end of the day, the only criteria you need to consider is how will this time off affect the intellectual progress of my kid...can she make it up...will she lag behind.....In 2nd grade, I don't think it's a problem....but in 5th or 7th grade and so on, I do.
Thanks for listening.

(God, can't ya tell I'm an old fart)

disneyman15

I'm Surrounded by Idiots
Everytime me and my family have gone i have been taken out of school. The last time i went i missed four days of school and had to make up the work. I also got taken out of school for six days one time but i talked to my teachers before hand and got the assignments i needed to do and i did them before i got back.

SusanAnne

We take our girls out every year,one is 15 and the other 9. Seldom do they ever get their homework ahead of time, which is fine, we will do it when we get home. I don't care what any school says, if i want to take my girls out during the school year and i do, then i will go. I will not let the school rule me or my home. The schools push too much now. My family life comes first and always will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom