who rode EE lets talk

peter11435

Merlin said:
That's not "knowing". That's formulating an opinion based on your own personal experience and observation. Nothing wrong with that, but call it like it is. Don't accuse me of stating my opinions as "facts" and then turn around and do the exact same thing.

Now you're elaborating on what you first claimed that I had stated. Note your previous post on this...
You know what. Im done with this. You just argue for the sake of arguing

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
You know what. Im done with this. You just argue for the sake of arguing

From what I can see, you've been just as adamant in your opinion as I have been on mine. The difference is I can back up my claims, where you can't. I think this last post of your's pretty much proves that. :rolleyes:

peter11435

Merlin said:
From what I can see, you've been just as adamant in your opinion as I have been on mine. The difference is I can back up my claims, where you can't. I think this last post of your's pretty much proves that. :rolleyes:
Where have you backed up anything. You have not supported any of your claims anywhere in this thread.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Where have you backed up anything. You have not supported any of your claims anywhere in this thread.

I thought you were "done with this". :lol:

Point out a claim that I've made and haven't been able to back up. If you're referring to the money thing, well that one is probably pointless because you refuse to be convinced unless I can produce some documentation in which the Imagineers themselves admit it's about budget. This is a difficult one to prove because it's kind of like trying to prove to you that the sun is shining, right now, somewhere in the world. It's a foregone conclusion (for most people) that everything a company produces is done with a particular budget in mind. If the budget for EE had been 1 billion dollars, can you honestly say it would be the same attraction it is today? Likewise, if the budget had been half of what it actually was, would the attraction even be as good as it turned out? Clearly, the end product is the result of whatever budget they had to work with.

Having said all that, I'm willing (as I earlier stated) to concede that if the decision to only have one Yeti AA was truly the Imagineers' true intent, then that aspect was less about budget and more about poor storytelling. A concept such as poor storytelling IS an opinion and, as such, can only be "backed up" with examples of what "good storytelling" should include. I've provided those examples earlier in this thread (think Alien, Signs and Hitchcock).

You've stated that "most of the general public find EE entertaining" (an exact quote from you). That's an opinion, unless you can back it up with something more concrete than "I've spent hours there and haven't heard a single complaint".

peter11435

Merlin said:
You've stated that "most of the general public find EE entertaining" (an exact quote from you). That's an opinion, unless you can back it up with something more concrete than "I've spent hours there and haven't heard a single complaint".

Its no more of an opinion than when you said numerous times that guest are not satisfied. It is not an opinion when any person who has actually been on Everest and in the area has seen the exact same thing.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Its no more of an opinion than when you said numerous times that guest are not satisfied. It is not an opinion when any person who has actually been on Everest and in the area has seen the exact same thing.

I've never claimed anywhere that "most of the general public" feels a certain way about EE. You, on the other hand, have. I've made comments about what people have a tendency to want from their entertainment in general, and I've applied that knowledge to what EE delivers on (or fails to deliver on), thus formulating an educated opinion about how we can expect many people to respond to it. That's quite different from what you've done. You stated, very clearly, that "most of the general public find EE entertaining." There's nothing wrong with stating that, but at least have the integrity to admit that's your opinion. You insist it's a fact. But a fact is something that is either general knowledge or something that can be supported with unbiased data. If you want to say it's your PERSONAL OBSERVATION that most of the general public feels that way, that at least would have some credibility. But there's no scientific or statistical way for you to back it up as fact unless you have access to some survey data or something.

imagineersrock

Merlin said:
It leaves guests feeling unsatisfied.

Have you spent one minute on the unload platform, in the exit gift shop, or ANY of the surrounding area of Everest?

Regardless of where you turn, all you hear is:

"That was AWESOME!"

"Did you see that Yeti!?!"

"That was SO worth the wait!"

"That was even BETTER than Rock'n Roller Coaster!"

"That backwards part was unbelievable!"

and one that I have heard on countless occasions now... "That is the best ride I have ever been on!"

I'd like to meet these "unsatisfied" guests you speak of. I am yet to hear one guest come off of Expedition Everest dissapointed...The ONLY negative remarks I have heard regarding Expedition Everest so far come from people on the internet that have only watched a video of the attraction and not been there in person.

:wave:

Merlin

Account Suspended
imagineersrock said:
Have you spent one minute on the unload platform, in the exit gift shop, or ANY of the surrounding area of Everest?

Regardless of where you turn, all you hear is:

"That was AWESOME!"

"Did you see that Yeti!?!"

"That was SO worth the wait!"

"That was even BETTER than Rock'n Roller Coaster!"

"That backwards part was unbelievable!"

and one that I have heard on countless occasions now... "That is the best ride I have ever been on!"

I'd like to meet these "unsatisfied" guests you speak of. I am yet to hear one guest come off of Expedition Everest dissapointed...The ONLY negative remarks I have heard regarding Expedition Everest so far come from people on the internet that have only watched a video of the attraction and not been there in person.

:wave:

Well it sure is....gosh, what's the word.....UNBELIEVABLE that this many people are being so vocal about how much they adore this attraction. Are people also breaking into song and dance after getting off the ride? :hammer:

peter11435

Merlin said:
Well it sure is....gosh, what's the word.....UNBELIEVABLE that this many people are being so vocal about how much they adore this attraction. Are people also breaking into song and dance after getting off the ride? :hammer:
People are that vocal when they get off the ride. I have not yet seen anyone breaking into song and dance but I have seen hundreds of people being very vocal about how much they enjoyed the ride. Contrary to what you may think observing guests as they exit the attraction is just as good as a survey. If I have watched 500 guests get off the ride, which is just as good as giving a survey to 500 guests. And I have yet to see a single unsatisfied guest.

Additionally you did say that guests feel unsatisfied after the ride. You can't deny that because it is in the thread very clearly.

peter11435

Merlin said:
Knowing the high expectations guests have these days regarding their entertainment, trust me....most will feel let down and disappointed.

Obviously you don't know what guests want out of their entertainment. Contrary to what you believe most guests on EE are not hardcore Disney fans. And trust me when I tell you nearly everyone I have seen (even the non-Disney fans) know fully what is going on. They don't seem to have any trouble understanding the premise of the ride and not one that I have seen has come off feeling cheated.

bhg469

peter11435 said:
Obviously you don't know what guests want out of their entertainment. Contrary to what you believe most guests on EE are not hardcore Disney fans. And trust me when I tell you nearly everyone I have seen (even the non-Disney fans) know fully what is going on. They don't seem to have any trouble understanding the premise of the ride and not one that I have seen has come off feeling cheated.

I can see merlin has a point here about your generalizations, again you said "Contrary to what you believe most guests on EE are not hardcore Disney fans." You really can't make that claim. I am pretty much the only person other than my girlfriend that would spend every day in disneyworld if we could. People tend to think we are pretty weird for liking it so much. Your exposure in the park are people that paid good money to be there, and up until recently the ride was restricted to annual passholders, i don't know too many people that are willing to spend that kind of money unless they really love the parks.

peter11435

bhg469 said:
I can see merlin has a point here about your generalizations, again you said "Contrary to what you believe most guests on EE are not hardcore Disney fans." You really can't make that claim. I am pretty much the only person other than my girlfriend that would spend every day in disneyworld if we could. People tend to think we are pretty weird for liking it so much. Your exposure in the park are people that paid good money to be there, and up until recently the ride was restricted to annual passholders, i don't know too many people that are willing to spend that kind of money unless they really love the parks.
The ride was only restricted to Ap's for one weekend. For the past 3 weeks it has been open nearly everyday for everyone. Only 1 of my rides was during the AP preview. Every other time it has been when the ride has been open to everyone. While I am sure that includes some hardcore disney fans, there is no way they represent the majority of riders. The ride is now being well advertised to everyone.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
People are that vocal when they get off the ride. I have not yet seen anyone breaking into song and dance but I have seen hundreds of people being very vocal about how much they enjoyed the ride. Contrary to what you may think observing guests as they exit the attraction is just as good as a survey. If I have watched 500 guests get off the ride, which is just as good as giving a survey to 500 guests. And I have yet to see a single unsatisfied guest.

Additionally you did say that guests feel unsatisfied after the ride. You can't deny that because it is in the thread very clearly.

It doesn't help your credibility to claim that watching people is "just as good as giving a survey". That's utterly absurd. How can you collect the opinions, thoughts and feelings of people better by watching them than by gathering that data from a survey?

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:

So obviously you know how to read minds then if you are able to tell all this stuff about perfect strangers. Tell me, how are you able to distinguish the "non-Disney fans" from the Disney fans? How did you measure their knowledge of what was going on? How were you able to tell that "nearly everyone" knew fully what was going on? And how could you tell that "not one" of them came off "feeling cheated"? Clearly you have a gift of extra sensory perception that is beyond that of any human. No wonder you put more stock in this than you do in surveys. :hammer: :brick: :rolleyes: :lol:

peter11435

Merlin said:
So obviously you know how to read minds then if you are able to tell all this stuff about perfect strangers. Tell me, how are you able to distinguish the "non-Disney fans" from the Disney fans? How did you measure their knowledge of what was going on? How were you able to tell that "nearly everyone" knew fully what was going on? And how could you tell that "not one" of them came off "feeling cheated"? Clearly you have a gift of extra sensory perception that is beyond that of any human. No wonder you put more stock in this than you do in surveys. :hammer: :brick: :rolleyes: :lol:
Its called listening to people.

peter11435

Merlin said:
It doesn't help your credibility to claim that watching people is "just as good as giving a survey". That's utterly absurd. How can you collect the opinions, thoughts and feelings of people better by watching them than by gathering that data from a survey?
Really. So you honestly think it is better to give people a survey asking them there opinions, rather than simply listen to their opinions as they openly praise the attraction and talk about it with there friends and family.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Its called listening to people.

Wow, that's pretty incredible that every single person who has gotten off the ride has walked past you and said, "I am/am not a hardcore Disney fan", "I don't feel cheated", "I fully understood the premise of the ride", etc. You must have superhuman listening skills to be able to listen to every individual person within a cluster of people getting off of a ride. What even further amazes me is how you managed to get every single one of them to verbalize it. Oh, and of course you've been there every day (and all day long) while Everest has been operating, right? Yes, now I can see why you put no trust in surveys when you have such a more accurate and trustworthy method of collecting this data. :lol:

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Really. So you honestly think it is better to give people a survey asking them there opinions, rather than simply listen to their opinions as they openly praise the attraction and talk about it with there friends and family.

Well, now you've asked me a question about a subject on which I do happen possess a great deal of expertise. Matter of fact, survey design, collection and analysis is a large part of what I do for a living.

Having said that, surveys are one of several data collection methods. Most experts understand that you can't fully trust any single data collection method, so you always want to utilize at least two or more whenever possible. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages and each has it's own level of credibility. Here is a list of methods:

Focus Groups: Ideal group size is 10 to 20. A skilled and unbiased facilitator asks questions of a group of people and records the answers. Facilitator should be someone who has no stake in the outcome or results of the focus group. Advantages to this method are that it is efficient (you can ask a group of people all at once versus one at a time) and also you can clarify answers that may be unclear. A major disadvantage is that some group members may influence the opinions of others.

Surveys: Done electronically or by paper. Should not take more than 30 minutes of the person's time to complete. Should be a mix of open ended questions, rating scales, and forced ranking responses. Should be anonymous in order to maintain the validity and integrity of the survey. Advantage is that it's the most efficient means of collecting opinions from a large number of people, at various times and over a given period of time. Disadvantage is that some open-ended responses may be unclear.

Observation: Should be done by a skilled individual who has no bias or stake in the results or outcome of what is observed. Observer watches reactions of large groups. Advantage is that the information is collected in "real time". Disadvantage is that it's largely unreliable, as it's based solely on the perception of the observer. Also inefficient.

Existing data: This would include data such as attendance records, number of people riding, number of people re-riding, etc. Advantage is that it's based on actions and behaviors as opposed to just opinions. Disadvantage is that other variables may skew the data.

What else would you like to know about this topic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom