who in the world waits 4+ hours for a ride?

BuddyThomas

In September, I took my DD14 for the first time with me, she had previously been practically every year with my parents before that, so we felt ok with taking trips without the kiddos. On the trip, she commented as to how we would just practically walk onto rides and not have to wait more than 15 minutes for anything. I told her "that's because your grandparents always take you during Thanksgiving break, where as we only come when its not packed" This thread is the exact reason why I will never go during New Years or Christmas....unless its free of course.
Not even if it's free here. Not even if they paid me.

pumpkin7

Thi
"Honey, lets just get in line. There is no way the wait is actually 4 hours long."

3.5 hours later...

"Jeez, why is this line so long?!"

This was us trip before last, embarrassingly. But thankfully not quite 4 hours. We waited about 2 in the end. Would never make that mistake again. Lol.

SMS55

There are people that this is their first and quite possibly only trip for the forseeable future. If they don't do it now they may never do it. We know better than to go now. My teenage son is there with his mom (my ex) and that side of the family. He grabbed some fast passes and is not too concerned with riding, but he knows better. He didn't really want to know because he knew what to expect but his mom made him go.

disney4life2008

I think most first timers would wait that long for any attraction because they do not know any better. My first time on soarin I waited 2 hours and it was not worth it - sorry its a great ride but not all that it is pumped up to be. I make it a point to be at the gates at rope drop to be one of the first and get it over. Now I did wait for Harry for 3 hours the summer it first opened - I would likely wait again - that ride is amazing.

DManRightHere

Since I got the Disney app, it's fun looking at wait times. Especially today. Right now it's a 250 minute wait for soarin. It's a great ride and everything, but who in the world waits over four hours for a five minute ride?

I just don't get it.

People that plan their vacation for the worst possible time period and have no understanding of "peak season". Then again, I suppose everyone has their reasons.

mr_braver23

Here's a pic I received yesterday from a friend who was at MK around 12 yesterday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 93

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
As a family with two teachers and a school-age child, we have NEVER been able to travel any time except peak. Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Easter (a few times), mid-Summer. We have been in the parks many times when wait times get like that. I don't think we have ever NOT gotten to do everything we want to on any given day and we have never waited more than 45 minutes for anything.

If you plan extensively, you can do a lot even on the insane crowd days. NYE a few years back, we got to Epcot at opening, did 3 rides, then camped out in the pub at Rose and Crown. We sat and played cards, ate, drank, met people, met more people, left to use FPs every once in a while. Then outside in the evening to get a good fireworks spot. It was a great day. We did just about all the main attractions and were quite happy all day!

The days that are rated at 9 or 10 on the crowd calendars are our usual days in the parks. Just get there at opening, plan FPs (or now FP+ which promises to save me a lot of walking) to be spread throughout the day, do as much as you can before noon and then relax and enjoy the afternoon/evening watching the masses wait 4 hours while you sip on a drink, sitting in the shade, waiting for your next ride!

mergatroid

I don't think any of us on here would do it as we know we'll get another opportunity, on another day or trip. Many of us also have a 'system' for touring which would quite obviously rule out doing something as crazy as this. However imagine you'd travelled a great distance to spend maybe just one day at each park and didn't know if you'd ever return again, in those circumstances I can see people thinking "I've got to see this ride no matter what". I'm just glad I don't belong to this group of people.

Last edited:

Longers

Never ever. I spend most of my life wishing I was in the world but I am happy I am not there right now with those wait times - that really can't be any fun at all!

Glasgow

As others have said, this may be their only opportunity to ride so its now or never. Id say comparitively few visitors have the same knowledge of park touring that we have here as well .. so if you're already in the park, what are you going to do? Stand inside Innoventions all day?

On the flip side, this also throws into sharp relief the glaring deficiency of quality D and E ticket rides and the woeful dearth of newer, high capacity attractions as compared to the amount of ever increasing visitors. In a way, this sort of madness is necessary when internal bean counters are trying to justify the ROI on a new attraction .. so more power to you, holiday park goers!

musketeer

Original Poster
The days that are rated at 9 or 10 on the crowd calendars are our usual days in the parks. Just get there at opening, plan FPs (or now FP+ which promises to save me a lot of walking) to be spread throughout the day, do as much as you can before noon and then relax and enjoy the afternoon/evening watching the masses wait 4 hours while you sip on a drink, sitting in the shade, waiting for your next ride!

Only 3 per day though. I too have only been able to go in the summer or right around christmas, and with planning, early mornings, and fast passes, I had little complaint. But now with this only 3 per day rule...I think it's going to be much more difficult to make a really busy day do-able.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom