Who holds the title of longest drive?

Kramerica

Original Poster
I am terrified of flying and I only wish that the medicines will work on me, but I'm too nervous/scared about trying them out. So we drive from Louisville, KY and we can make it to WDW in a day, sometimes we have stayed the night in Georgia though. I have flown to WDW twice and I think it was around 2 hours maybe...it's been a while.

goofygirl,

I have to take medication to fly. There is nothing to be scared of. Turst me. If you have any questions or anything you'd like to try and talk about, please go ahead and ask. I'd be happy to help you with that.

So I think our record is 2570 miles?

Mikester71

The biggest shocker to me was that the kids (son and daughter, now 15 and 20 respectively) were well behaved on the drive down AND back all four trips! You expect it more when they are teenagers, but our son was only 9 our first trip and he didn't complain one bit (an 18-20 hour drive each way). Sometimes they can surprise you! :lol:

alyaba

I drove from spokane, Washington. it was almost 3000 miles, about two weeks before i left i met a guy that said it usually took him 6 days but i made it in 4 :)

mickeysshoes

We cant handle 14 hours....4 days...NO WAY....I give credit to all of you who do drive...I cant see taking vacation time and spending it on the road like that. I will work and save more to get there in 2 hours via Southwest or JetBlue. Drives you rock!!!!! :wave:

NewfieFan

goofygirl,

I have to take medication to fly. There is nothing to be scared of. Turst me. If you have any questions or anything you'd like to try and talk about, please go ahead and ask. I'd be happy to help you with that.

I think this is our winner...

unless anyone has driven from the Yukon, Alaska or Northwest Territories, I might have a winner here: we drove from Edmonton, Alberta to WDW... and also after 9/11 our flight got cancelled so we rented a car and drove WDW to Vancouver, BC.

Susan Savia

Been making the trip annually for nearly 28 years. Daughter was a year old on our first trip and our son was 6 months on his first trip. Its 900 miles and we enjoy the time both going down and returning in the car. We stop over in SC and when we get to Daytona Beach, we stop to see the ocean for few minutes break. We are 10 miles from DC. We like having our car once we are there for running around Kissimmee.

jlevis

;)
We cant handle 14 hours....4 days...NO WAY....I give credit to all of you who do drive...I cant see taking vacation time and spending it on the road like that. I will work and save more to get there in 2 hours via Southwest or JetBlue. Drives you rock!!!!! :wave:

I assume your 14 hours and 4 days is a round trip from Virginia?
You can't do a drive in 7 hours in a single day? We drive from the Detroit area in a day and a half. Don't mean to dis you but maybe you need to drive faster. ;)

mickeysshoes

;)

I assume your 14 hours and 4 days is a round trip from Virginia?
You can't do a drive in 7 hours in a single day? We drive from the Detroit area in a day and a half. Don't mean to dis you but maybe you need to drive faster. ;)

Sorry, should have worded that different...it only takes us about 14 hours to drive from VA and we cant handle that. I could not think about it taking 4 days like someone else had said. :lol:

mrerk

Premium Member
goofygirl,

Not quite.

unless anyone has driven from the Yukon, Alaska or Northwest Territories, I might have a winner here: we drove from Edmonton, Alberta to WDW... and also after 9/11 our flight got cancelled so we rented a car and drove WDW to Vancouver, BC.

Google maps says: 2786 miles

I drove from spokane, Washington. it was almost 3000 miles, about two weeks before i left i met a guy that said it usually took him 6 days but i made it in 4 :)

Google maps says: 2809 miles

I'm kind of surprised Spokane is further than Edmonton.

jlevis

Sorry, should have worded that different...it only takes us about 14 hours to drive from VA and we cant handle that. I could not think about it taking 4 days like someone else had said. :lol:

Okay, that makes sense, sorry about the misread. It takes us about 16 - 17 hours depending on how long we stop for breakfast and lunch. We usually stop in Macon, Ga which gives us a shorter second day. We also will vary our route from time to time to give us different scenery. Anyway, everybody's mileage (no pun intended) may vary.

PhilharMagician

1250 miles and have never done it.

With three of us it is cheaper to fly than drive and I realllllllly do not want to make that road trip. The flight is 2 1/2 hours and the drive would be about 17 hours at best with no stops.:hammer: So I say why drive and spend more money being miserable?

ArielLover

We 1352 mis. We do it with our 3 kids. This year the kids are 17, 14 and 7. We'll be leave 12/21 and driving straight thru, about 21hrs. Its the 4th trip to

Not sure on your distance, I clocked it last trip from Southern NH at it was not that far

ArielLover

We have driven all four times we have visited WDW from up here in Canada, about an 18-22 hour drive over two days, depending on rest stops and meal breaks. I live an hour north of Detroit, across from Port Huron, Michigan in Sarnia, ON Canada. I usually see people from WAY further north than us as we are driving down. But we seriously love driving down though, and have never even considered flying. To us, the drive is part of the whole vacation experience. Never took many vacations as a child myself, so hitting the open road with the family was super appealing to me when we decided to visit WDW for the first time in 2005. There is no better feeling than leaving your home during a snowstorm and 30 degree temperatures (a BIG one too this past March when we headed out at 6am) and gradually feeling the temperature increase as you make your way down the 75 south, eventually pulling into nice 70-80 degree weather the next afternoon! :sohappy:

I totally agreee, its part of the trip to us as well, drove to get engaged there, worst was for the honeymoon, drove the day after the wedding on not a lot of sleep. We will also drive when we hopefully have the lil ones to bring along.

jlevis

We have driven all four times we have visited WDW from up here in Canada, about an 18-22 hour drive over two days, depending on rest stops and meal breaks. I live an hour north of Detroit, across from Port Huron, Michigan in Sarnia, ON Canada. I usually see people from WAY further north than us as we are driving down. But we seriously love driving down though, and have never even considered flying. To us, the drive is part of the whole vacation experience. Never took many vacations as a child myself, so hitting the open road with the family was super appealing to me when we decided to visit WDW for the first time in 2005. There is no better feeling than leaving your home during a snowstorm and 30 degree temperatures (a BIG one too this past March when we headed out at 6am) and gradually feeling the temperature increase as you make your way down the 75 south, eventually pulling into nice 70-80 degree weather the next afternoon! :sohappy:

I take it you cross into the States via the Blue Water Bridge? I guess I never thought about it you're right the drive down is a sort of prequel to the vacation. I know we enjoy it at make comparisons about the changes to the scenery in the different seasons. The drive back serves as a time to wind down. We have landmarks going in either direction that we make note of and will say "only 12 more hours" and so on makes the trip go faster. I think we've been to every Cracker Barrel between Livonia and Orlando. :)

Rinx

Anyone taken the train? I think that would be huge fun..

I live in New Jersey and when I went down for my CP in 2009 I drove to Lorton, Virginia and took the Auto Train down. I love trains and it was a pretty neat experience. A bit on the expensive side but I really did not want to put all those miles on my car.

Kramerica

Original Poster
So I think Spokane is the winner? Which ironically is about 30 minutes north of where I live. Haha.

SAV

images

The Dalai Lama himself...big hitter...long!!

images

Oh wait, this isn't about golf...Nevermind.

Korfar

According to mapquest we are 1270 miles from WDW. 20.5 hours. I have thought about driving that but that is just too long. I am hoping to move closer to WDW some day. If I could make the drive in 11 hours or less I could do that every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom