Who holds the title of longest drive?

I live in New Jersey and when I went down for my CP in 2009 I drove to Lorton, Virginia and took the Auto Train down. I love trains and it was a pretty neat experience. A bit on the expensive side but I really did not want to put all those miles on my car.

We live in MD, and have taken the Auto Train from Lorton, VA several times. It's what we are doing this upcoming trip in October, as well. I rather enjoy the Autotrain, it's nice and relaxing, and no where near as hectic and bustling as flying. January is a fun time to take the Auto Train, it's full of Snowbirds heading south for the remainder of the winter.

Kudos to those of you who drive all the way. I dislike driving far, far too much to want to try a road trip like that.

Mikester71

I take it you cross into the States via the Blue Water Bridge?

You guessed it...the beautiful Blue Water Bridges. Actually, they are beautiful to look at, but with my wife being from over in Michigan and her working over there every day, we tend to see them more as "cash grabbers". :ROFLOL:

I guess I never thought about it you're right the drive down is a sort of prequel to the vacation. I know we enjoy it at make comparisons about the changes to the scenery in the different seasons. The drive back serves as a time to wind down. We have landmarks going in either direction that we make note of and will say "only 12 more hours" and so on makes the trip go faster. I think we've been to every Cracker Barrel between Livonia and Orlando. :)

And I totally agree with what you are saying here. We have only been during our Spring Break in March, but we like looking for the first sign of leaves on the trees, and that first palm tree (usually Georgia). That's how we can tell when we are getting closer. Oh yeah....we also laugh at how many Waffle House signs we see on the way down. Have never stopped and tried one yet, but there sure are a lot of them once you get through Ohio!

The drive back IS a nice way to unwind, you are correct there. Like how you said the drive there is a nice prequel, I find the drive home to be a nice closer to the trip. We are usually a lot more mellow and subdued on the way home, but usually share things about the trip that we all enjoyed or wished we would have done and so on. Usually the drive there and back are nice bookends to another wonderful WDW vacation! ;)

Jay & Sue

Sue and I have driven from Denver to the World several times. It is 1,850 miles. We enjoy the drive and also enjoy seeing much of our country along the way. We break it up into 800, 600, and 450 mile segments which is not bad at all. It takes us two and a half days. To cut down on the drive time we bought a house 8 miles from the parking lot of the Animal Kindom. Counting stop lights and traffic, we do that drive in under 15 minutes. If we hit the lights just right we can do it pretty much non-stop!

ArielLover

Just put info into Mapquest, came out at 1351.49mis.

Depends on the route you allow Mapquest to use. I-81 adds a ton of miles, it lists it as 1418 miles for me but if I use the New Jersey Turnpike it is 1344 miles. I have to believe that the southshore is closer than Nashua NH

Tinkerbell 8

We drive from right outside of Philly, its 1,012.81 miles each way. Mapquest says it takes a little over 16 hours, however we did the drive in 14 hours this past year. We will be doing the drive again this coming March, can't wait!!

brisem

Depends on the route you allow Mapquest to use. I-81 adds a ton of miles, it lists it as 1418 miles for me but if I use the New Jersey Turnpike it is 1344 miles. I have to believe that the southshore is closer than Nashua NH

I'm just north of Plymouth. So it has me going 95 all the way down. Usually take 95 to CT then to 15 over tapanzee to GS then to NJ tpk. It's the quickest way without going thru NYC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom