Which Spaceship Earth?

What is your favorite version of Spaceship Earth?

• Total voters

Sbk1234

Original Poster
Just bored so wondering, which version of Spaceship Earth is your favorite, taking into account musical score, narration, scenes, everything: Walter Cronkite, Jeremy Irons, or Judy Dench?

Sbk1234

Original Poster
I voted for Jeremy Irons. It’s a combination of all elements, but especially the incredible music, especially during the descent.

correcaminos

I loved the original, but the ending and music to Jeremy Irons version has a special place in my heart with the music at the end. The city always gave me a World of Motion vibe too. I really dislike Judy Dench ending completely. I guess it's cute once, but it's just so blah.

belledream

I’ve only experienced the Jeremy Irons and Judy Dench versions, and it’s definitely Jeremy Irons for me. Mysterious and soothing voice, the beautiful descent music and sparking city scene at the end... I also have distinct memories of the scene of kids “FaceTiming” each other across the world. I guess I always just thought that was cool. And we do it all the time now. :p

JIMINYCR

Growing up I listened to Walter Cronkite's news reports often and his voice was just perfectly ideal for reporting. But I have to give Jeremy Irons my vote for the best narration version for SE. Cronkite comes in at a close second and Dench falls way behind the other two.

Goofyernmost

Where’s the original one?
To be fair, anyone under the age of 50 has never even heard about the original one. I went there the first year and I have no recollection of it at all. Apparently it wasn't popular enough to be consistently included in history with the possible exception of yours. The next time that I went was when Uncle Walter Cronkite was narrating and there was no questioning whose voice you were hearing. Everyone in the US had heard it before during the nightly news. "And that's the way it is". Boy could we ever use him now. The most trusted man in America.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be fair, anyone under the age of 50 has never even heard about the original one. I went there the first year and I have no recollection of it at all. Apparently it wasn't popular enough to be consistently included in history with the possible exception of yours. The next time that I went was when Uncle Walter Cronkite was narrating and there was no questioning whose voice you were hearing. Everyone in the US had heard it before during the nightly news. "And that's the way it is". Boy could we ever use him now. The most trusted man in America.
It was just mentioned for completeness. Kind of like which HoP do you like the best but not including the original version.

JIMINYCR

Yes Cronkite was looked at as being very trusted by most americans. Like most of the reporters and journalists of that era there was more non political/ non biased reporting done and it was getting the story out that mattered, not pushing an agenda or one side over the other. But still Cronkites biographer did say that although he mostly tempered his liberal side, as the vietnam war went on, he started to let that side of him influence his reporting.

Goofyernmost

It was just mentioned for completeness. Kind of like which HoP do you like the best but not including the original version.
Yes, I know that, what I was saying is that it is quite possible that the OP had no idea that there was one before Cronkite. It really is hardly ever mentioned. I have seen it mentioned but I still don't remember who it was. My reference to you was strictly to point out that you, as a Disney Historian, did know, but otherwise very few had that memory.

Goofyernmost

Yes Cronkite was looked at as being very trusted by most americans. Like most of the reporters and journalists of that era there was more non political/ non biased reporting done and it was getting the story out that mattered, not pushing an agenda or one side over the other. But still Cronkites biographer did say that although he mostly tempered his liberal side, as the vietnam war went on, he started to let that side of him influence his reporting.
However, he turned out to be correct didn't he! It was impossible for anyone to cover the Vietnam War in pictures and words to not become emotionally influenced in his or her inner feelings. There was absolutely nothing positive to report about it and I was in it as well as being against it because I, first hand, was able to see the reality. The only time I remember him letting it show was in the one and only OPINION spot that he did on the news. Otherwise he just reported what was happening which was what most people were influenced by. He just confirmed what most of us were thinking in that short but strong spot.

I also feel the need to classify his reaction to being liberal is another tunnel vision of reality. It is being human with a human conscience. The day that not wanting to see innocent people die in a government created war, not want to see needless carnage on a society that was only trying to exist and have just a small fraction of the luxuries that most all of us took for granted, than liberal could always be my identity. If being a conservative means the thousands need to die needlessly to keep ones financial standings at a high elevation I'm afraid I could never be one. I consider myself a moderate and even then killing people for nothing is never going to end in my sight.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, I know that, what I was saying is that it is quite possible that the OP had no idea that there was one before Cronkite. It really is hardly ever mentioned. I have seen it mentioned but I still don't remember who it was. My reference to you was strictly to point out that you, as a Disney Historian, did know, but otherwise very few had that memory.
I’m glad I possibly could educate others :)

Goofyernmost

I’m glad I possibly could educate others :)
You should be. Disney has never been real strong on professionally archiving the theme parks for the future awareness of the history. Your "hobby" as you put it is an extremely valuable way for people to understand what was before, what is now and a real chance of being excited about what will be in the future. All laundry, dirty or clean, needs to be acknowledged to understand how everything evolved. They always did everything like one giant advertisement by only focusing on what they feel are their highlights.

correcaminos

50? The original was around until 1986. I had a few rides on it before it changed and I'm not even pushing 50 yet. I've seen all versions and did love the fog in the first. The Jeremy Irons one was just the best to me. I didn't mention Cronkite which wasn't bad but wasn't honestly my favorite because I loved the ending for the Jeremy Irons one and I missed the fog. I also don't love his voice. He sounded less soothing than whomever did the original. Doesn't matter because compared to Judy Dench version, none were bad. That version is just bad and a waste of good talent.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Now I know why the Killed Epcot center, it would be one big political statement. And for someone who threw a fit at Epcot’s new direction after 2020 I’m so over the original Epcot and what it would have been like in its original direction.

Goofyernmost

Now I know why the Killed Epcot center, it would be one big political statement. And for someone who threw a fit at Epcot’s new direction after 2020 I’m so over the original Epcot and what it would have been like in its original direction.
Not really, believe it or not there was a time when both parties had different platforms, but they all were mostly for the country and not just the party. It seems impossible today, but they did work together for many improvements and weren't obnoxious about being better people then the other. It wasn't political back then it was just "the way it is" at the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom