Which Spaceship Earth?

What is your favorite version of Spaceship Earth?

• Total voters

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
Best Song: Tomorrow's Child
Best Narrator: Jeremy Irons
Best Ride Quote: "Thank the Phoenicians"

There's really something to appreciate from all versions. I voted for the Irons version because overall it was my favorite ride experience.

montyz81

Vic Perrin for me. Mysterious and grand.

I am at peace with every other incarnation. Even the Judy Dench one, a minority opinion amongst EPCOT purists. SSE to me shows that the classic FW rides could easily have been relevant and beloved in 2020.
100% and the expense overtime to keep them relevant could not have been that high relative to what they need to do to the park today. Damn you Michael Eisner for destroying the path of Epcot Center!

correcaminos

Vic Perrin for me. Mysterious and grand.

I am at peace with every other incarnation. Even the Judy Dench one, a minority opinion amongst EPCOT purists. SSE to me shows that the classic FW rides could easily have been relevant and beloved in 2020.
Thank you for saying who it was. He was very mysterious and grand. Really loved his voice.

I don't hate SSE now, but I just don't love thise ending is all. We ride it every trip more than once. Funny as a kid, I thought it was going to be like Space mt. The first ride was a wake up call to me and yet I loved it on the 2nd ride that same trip.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Not really, believe it or not there was a time when both parties had different platforms, but they all were mostly for the country and not just the party. It seems impossible today, but they did work together for many improvements and weren't obnoxious about being better people then the other. It wasn't political back then it was just "the way it is" at the time.
I know, it was nice, I fear that Disney would get involved with Politics and Propaganda if Epcot Center was still as it was and updated. They were so neutral to back then, even Universe of Energy was right on point.

KimAnnFran

I might be alone in this or not in the majority, but I JUST LOVE the KRONKITE one, Tomorrow's Child and all, and before that, the way the top of the ball was exceedingly DARK so you felt like you were really outside and....that THEME playing.
In this video, at 54:52
I will never forget that moment when the car turned to face the starry sky with cool air blown in....especially the first time I saw it.

The Empress Lilly

I might be alone in this or not in the majority, but I JUST LOVE the KRONKITE one, Tomorrow's Child and all, and before that, the way the top of the ball was exceedingly DARK so you felt like you were really outside and....that THEME playing.
I will never forget that moment when the car turned to face the starry sky with cool air blown in....especially the first time I saw it.

EPCOT is a place of mystique and lyricism.

Two emotions fans never express but keep closed to them as if it were a hand of cards.

Concepts also that lose their power when you ostensibly seek them or present them. So these essential EPCOT qualities remain unexpressed, largely hidden from public and managerial view.

So at every rethink of EPCOT a skeletal view exists. A bare bones view of a park, and of its individual rides, thought to be devoid of emotionality, of character and of emotional pulling power, because EPCOTs essence is undefined, unnamed. They see emptiness.
A void they then think needs to be filled. With visual clutter, characters, thrills, alcohol. When you don't understand the zen like qualities of the FW parks you see emptiness to be filled with physical clutter. When you don't understand the personal emotional journey SSE takes you on, you see a school lecture and think you need to turn it into a personal experience with a touchscreen app. But nothing is as personal and involving as SSEs relentless ascent, its ultimate arrival at the star field, its lyrical score.

TraderSam

I voted for Jeremy Irons. It’s a combination of all elements, but especially the incredible music, especially during the descent.
My favorite line from the Jeremy Irons version: “But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation on this, our Spaceship Earth.”

It‘s like the Imagineers could see the future.

Sbk1234

Original Poster
My favorite line from the Jeremy Irons version: “But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation on this, our Spaceship Earth.”

It‘s like the Imagineers could see the future.
This statement is now quite depressing!

Sbk1234

Original Poster
EPCOT is a place of mystique and lyricism.

Two emotions fans never express but keep closed to them as if it were a hand of cards.

Concepts also that lose their power when you ostensibly seek them or present them. So these essential EPCOT qualities remain unexpressed, largely hidden from public and managerial view.

So at every rethink of EPCOT a skeletal view exists. A bare bones view of a park, and of its individual rides, thought to be devoid of emotionality, of character and of emotional pulling power, because EPCOTs essence is undefined, unnamed. They see emptiness.
A void they then think needs to be filled. With visual clutter, characters, thrills, alcohol. When you don't understand the zen like qualities of the FW parks you see emptiness to be filled with physical clutter. When you don't understand the personal emotional journey SSE takes you on, you see a school lecture and think you need to turn it into a personal experience with a touchscreen app. But nothing is as personal and involving as SSEs relentless ascent, its ultimate arrival at the star field, its lyrical score.
Perfectly stated!

muddyrivers

I was too young to remember my few rides on the Cronkite version before it was refurbished with Irons. However, my family had the Official Album of WDW white cassette tape with purple writing on it and whenever I heard that "TA DA" moment, I felt a sense of awe. I can only imagine what that must have felt like suddenly seeing planet Earth and hearing that same crescendo on the ride itself.

KimAnnFran

I was too young to remember my few rides on the Cronkite version before it was refurbished with Irons. However, my family had the Official Album of WDW white cassette tape with purple writing on it and whenever I heard that "TA DA" moment, I felt a sense of awe. I can only imagine what that must have felt like suddenly seeing planet Earth and hearing that same crescendo on the ride itself.
It was unexplainable. I will never forget it. I fell in love with EPCOT at that moment, and my love surpassed all the other parks and is still ahead by a little now....

Sbk1234

Original Poster
That's cool because most people like the Kingdom best. I always loved EPCOT (89-93 way)....and most of it is gone. One of my biggest disappointments at EPCOT was when WoM closed....that was the start of something not-so-good.
My first trip to Walt Disney World was in 1988, so I guess my favorite era is the same as yours. Many people go to Disney World to collect rides. But I go to capture a feeling. Classic Epcot for me was a gateway to those feelings. It was exciting and dynamic in a way that made me optimistic and eager to see what the future would bring. Sure, you could find Mickey and friends there, but it wasn’t used as a marketing tool to help sell Disney’s movies and merchandise.

KimAnnFran

My first trip to Walt Disney World was in 1988, so I guess my favorite era is the same as yours. Many people go to Disney World to collect rides. But I go to capture a feeling. Classic Epcot for me was a gateway to those feelings. It was exciting and dynamic in a way that made me optimistic and eager to see what the future would bring. Sure, you could find Mickey and friends there, but it wasn’t used as a marketing tool to help sell Disney’s movies and merchandise.
Exactly, and I feel it might be losing that a bit. I went in 89. I won't forget it ever.....it honestly was a very impactful trip.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I honestly can't decide between Cronkite and Irons versions, they both had excellent narration, excellent music, just in different ways

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom