Which Spaceship Earth?

What is your favorite version of Spaceship Earth?

• Total voters
Irons by a long shot. Granted I’ve only experienced Irons and Dench, and I was only 7 when the Irons version was replaced, but I have very distinct memories of it and that combined with the many videos I’ve watched...wow. It’s mostly the descent that does it for me. The music, the fiber optics connecting everything, the mini spaceship earth and the city..I can’t watch it without getting misty. It was so perfect and the video chatting scenes easily could’ve been updated as technology advanced. Will never forgive them for dumbing it down as they did.

Mickeynerd17

Dench version for the soundtrack.

Bit of a hot take: I prefer the current music over Tomorrow's Child by a long shot. It's just so much more glorious than Tomorrow's Child, which just left me constantly waiting for a big hit only to sink down in volume leaving me questioning how is this an Epcot soundtrack from the age of Horizons and Imagination, where the former featured some INSANE glory moments in Brava Centauri while the latter was a musical masterpiece that is catchy to literally anybody. Tomorrow's Child is none of those and sort-of awkwardly co-existed with the others. Hey, it was better than the original, which had exactly zero music from what I've heard.

I'm not sure if that's the way the Irons music went or if I'm missing a major impact moment in the musical score that everybody is just dying over, but I just don't hear it/understand the hype. For now, current soundtrack 10000000% better IMHO.

I rode Irons a couple times in 2005 and 06, but I was 2-3 years old, so I don't remember. Watched some videos of it now and the best part to me is the descent scenes, which were pretty sweet, but Irons voice doesn't get me going, and the soundtrack definitely doesn't either. I guess I'm more used to Dench but that's my opinion LOL!

I'm probably opening some huge floodgates, but I had to put this out there.

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

A lot of people don't like the ending, but I have a big problem with the beginning. There used to be an audio montage on the way up the first ramp that really set the stage for everything to come. Now you get warnings about staying seated and instructions on where to look to get your picture taken, and it hurts the beginning of the ride!
This is why we must continue educating the new generation on what glory existed in the old world.

For example, I am perfectly fine with the ending, because that's the only thing I remember, and it's starting to seem nostalgic to me. I honestly didn't know there was an information sound effect in the ascent tunnel to begin with. If we don't continue our work, GotG coaster will become the "new Horizons" for these youngsters. We must continue to educate the masses.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They should remake the Cronkite version voiced by Tucker Carlson or Al Roker since they seem to really like that upbeat energetic narration lately. Me can be mealie enough to fit the ride. Heck the host for Trans Siberian orchestra would make a great narration to.

Last edited:

Sbk1234

Original Poster
A lot of people don't like the ending, but I have a big problem with the beginning. There used to be an audio montage on the way up the first ramp that really set the stage for everything to come. Now you get warnings about staying seated and instructions on where to look to get your picture taken, and it hurts the beginning of the ride!
I think I remember that audio montage. As I recall, it was really thrilling. I got similar goosebumps listening to it as I do listening to recordings of "Sounds of Planet Earth" that went out into space with our probes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

This is why we must continue educating the new generation on what glory existed in the old world.

For example, I am perfectly fine with the ending, because that's the only thing I remember, and it's starting to seem nostalgic to me. I honestly didn't know there was an information sound effect in the ascent tunnel to begin with. If we don't continue our work, GotG coaster will become the "new Horizons" for these youngsters. We must continue to educate the masses.

I think I remember that audio montage. As I recall, it was really thrilling. I got similar goosebumps listening to it as I do listening to recordings of "Sounds of Planet Earth" that went out into space with our probes.

The “audio montage”:

KBLovedDisney

I voted Jeremy Irons only because that was the first one I rode and liked the most. I did not get to experience the Walter Cronkite version or the older one (don't remember the name of the other guy) in person.

Judi Dench?....
giphy.gif

Meh, I mean it isn't exactly horrible.. but I hate hate hate the decent descent though in the current version. The decent descent now has that stupid interactive video versus the one that was part of the Irons, and well, it just makes me sad.

Judi Dench does have a good speaking voice, but the orchestral background music from Jeremy Irons version was beautiful....not to mention that guy's voice.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom