Which ride did you ride for the first time and get the most scared?

It's Tough to Be a Bug..I will never ever forget the first time I went on it...I hate hate bugs, I think I was around 10 years old when I first saw it in 99 and haven't seen it since then. I took off my 3D glasses and refused to put them back on. Still gives me the creeps when I think about it.

I completely forgot about this show! This and HISTA scared the heck out of me, too! I don't think it was so much the effects, lions, or snakes that scared be, but the fact that—near the end—it felt like the bugs and mice were CRAWLING ALL OVER AND AROUND YOU. :cry:

WDW_Princess

Space mountain in the early 80's when I was 4 or 5 years old. Back when you sat in between someone's legs. I rode in the back with my dad and my mom and older sister rode up front. The 2 of them screamed so load the entire time. I was terrified because they knew what was happening up front. I thought we were going to die. I cried a lot and did not ride it again until I was 10.

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
Space mountain in the early 80's when I was 4 or 5 years old. Back when you sat in between someone's legs. I rode in the back with my dad and my mom and older sister rode up front. The 2 of them screamed so load the entire time. I was terrified because they knew what was happening up front. I thought we were going to die. I cried a lot and did not ride it again until I was 10.

I cant believe u rode this at age 5! Thats brave I worked up to curage to ride when i was 18 ha ha

iconjunkie

Probably Expedition Everest. It was the first ride I ever rode at WDW and I guess I wasn't mentally prepared for it, but I was a shaking slightly when I got off the ride.

When I go in May, I have to try Rock n Roller Coaster...

C&D

Rock n Roller Coaster for me (I wasn't expecting the intensity of the launch, and then the first loop/corkscrew); but just that first time, subsequent rides weren't too bad because I knew what was coming.

For my son it was splach mountain when he was only 4. I was not thinking....he was so scared...not so much of the drop but of the rabbit... the only ride he would go on for the rest of the trip was the Merry-go-round. He is now 7 and LOVES the ride.

Last year daughter was terrorized by the Haunted Mansion.

Last year Everest got the hubby.....never again. :hurl:

I had to take one for the team and go on Space Mountain with my daughter....I was terrified....then found out it was not that bad and went on two more times in a row. :sohappy:

Susan Savia

Reading your question, I thought to myself right away Dinosaur!! I rode it by myself the first time, not knowing what I was getting into. Looking back I was pretty scared that first time, but now I love the ride and is a must do on my list.

MerlinTheGoat

There were three rides that used to rather freak me out as a kid-

1- Haunted Mansion. It was the early 90's and before they changed it in 2007. Was a lot scarier back then IMO. From that first hallway with the glowing yellow demonic eyes in the pictures (no longer there), to the faceless bride with the beating heart (also not there anymore, VERY freaky for a little kid, i miss the old bride), and to the old jack-in-the-box zombie things. The pop-ups are still there, but they used to be a lot more realistic in terms of looking like dead people. They also used to scream very loudly and pop up more often. AND they had them in the attic back then, now they're only in the graveyard. I was terrified of that ride JUST for the pop-up zombies. Scared me to death!:ROFLOL:

2- The original Snow White's Very Scary Adventure. The one where you never really see Snow (you are supposed to fill her role) and the witch queen stalks you and screams at you everywhere you turn. Plus she drops a giant jewel on you at the end and it implies that you die (ala Mr Toad lol, except without going to hell). It was mostly the witch that freaked me out, she used to scream very loudly and the entire ride was loud and bombastic. They changed it soon after i started going to Disney. I think the Tokyo version is still similar to our original. I liked the new version they designed to be more like Disneyland. I did miss the more intricate diamond mine scene though. Been riding the current version a lot lately, since it will probably be gone sometime soon forever. Looking forward to the Coaster.

3- Tower of Terror. The first time i rode it, they were still using the lap bar system. And i don't think they had implemented the randomized drop sequences yet. We got dropped once or twice (forget, i think it was once). That was rather freaky. I loved it, but boy was it freaky. Even my mom liked it (she's not a huge coaster fan, anything worse than Big Thunder is too much). The real terror came a few years later though. We rode it again not realizing that the drops were randomized now. We got dropped something like 4-6 times. It was terrifying and just kept going and going. I've yet to ride the ride again. I intend to this trip, it will be the first time since i was little when i do. Now i hear they don't even have lap bars anymore. Oh dear...:dazzle:

Everest isn't too bad to be honest. The first time riding, the worst was the ascent where you're way high up and there's no supports. Rather dizzying and freaky. Other than that, the ride's pretty fun. The big drop is pretty intense, but it's amazing still.

Did Knee

I noticed nobody had mentioned the slides at the water parks. Don't they count as rides? For me the scariest thing I have ever done at WDW is Summit Plummit at Blizzard Beach. I remember thinking that if I pushed away from the slide just a little, I could go flipping forward and fall to my death. Then I hit the water at the bottom. It was like having your posterior slapped with a paddle repeatedly, not to mention picking your suit out of places where it didn't need to go afterwards. Sorry, but to me that is the scariest thing on the property. :hammer:

sweetpee_1993

I cant believe u rode this at age 5! Thats brave I worked up to curage to ride when i was 18 ha ha

I'm fairly sure the first time I was put on Space Mountain was when I was 4. It wasn't long after my parents got divorced and we were there with my mom's (then) boyfriend. I don't remember enough about the experience to claim it as my first big scare...only that afterward I was upset & crying which made mom's boyfriend mad. The only other things I can say I remember from that vacation was being stuck in traffic for hours on the drive down to the Keys so my brother & I were stripped down to our drawers and took a swim right there next to the highway. :D And sea turtles in Key West.

I completely forgot about this show! This and HISTA scared the heck out of me, too! I don't think it was so much the effects, lions, or snakes that scared be, but the fact that—near the end—it felt like the bugs and mice were CRAWLING ALL OVER AND AROUND YOU. :cry:

Oh yeah. I wasn't like freaked-out enough to claim it as a scary first but HISTA is one of those things my hubby still tells people about and laughs. I have a serious "thing" about vermin. I guess my first time seeing it was 2004 or 2005. When the mice started coming out towards us my reaction was to say "Oh h3ll no" and curl my legs up underneath my bottom. If any of you had small children within earshot I totally apologize. I'm actually kinda proud I didn't shout any obcenities. I cannot take mice, rats, or any critter that's remotely vermin-like. :D

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
I noticed nobody had mentioned the slides at the water parks. Don't they count as rides? For me the scariest thing I have ever done at WDW is Summit Plummit at Blizzard Beach. I remember thinking that if I pushed away from the slide just a little, I could go flipping forward and fall to my death. Then I hit the water at the bottom. It was like having your posterior slapped with a paddle repeatedly, not to mention picking your suit out of places where it didn't need to go afterwards. Sorry, but to me that is the scariest thing on the property. :hammer:

OF corse it counts for me i have never been to a disney water park Im not much of a feet person ( feet creep me out especially pruney ones) So i tent tol stay away from the water parks ha ha

PartOfYourWorld

I completely forgot about HISTA too, hated that show as well. Legs shot straight up onto the chair everytime I went in that show like you said because of everything crawling. yuck.

silver1113

I wish I could say my first/most scary ride was something as intense or cool as ToT or Alien Encounter. Sadly...no...mine was BTMRR. :lookaroun:lol: It's a long story so stop reading now if you don't like reading long stories. LOL! Here's why:

When I was 6 years old my dad & my aunt (Dad's sister, they've always been super-close) took my older brother (7 yrs old), my cousin (5 yrs old), and me to WDW which we all know was just the 1 park at the time. This was not the first trip for my dad, my brother, & me but it was for my aunt & cousin. On a previous trip with my mom & her boyfriend I had been on Space Mountain and knew that I was terrified of rides that went fast. As a child I was extremely skittish, scared of anything loud, dark, surprising, intense, etc. So here we are at the MK and BTMRR is the brand new awesome thing to do. My dad, who loooooves riding roller coasters, wanted to ride it really bad but he wouldn't ride it alone. My aunt couldn't because she had health issues plus who would've kept an eye on us littler kids? Dad looks at the 3 of us kids standing there (I remember my knees were practically knocking just standing outside the attraction) and asked, "Okay. Who's going to ride with me?" Silence. Not a word. Dad tried the fun explanations in his futile attempts to talk one of us into some excitement. Nothing. Not one of the 3 of us kids thought BTMRR was the thing to do. Then Dad got aggravated (it was hot and as a parent I can identify with the various degrees of meltdowns...this one being of the "I-spent-all-this-money-and-rode-every-stinkin'-froufrou-ride-you-wanted-but-you-can't-do-this-with-me" variety). He narrowed our options for us, "If someone doesn't ride this with me we're leaving right now." This was a game changer. I looked at my brother, he's a boy and he's older so he should be the one to be brave and do this terrifying thing, right??? Wrong. I looked to my cousin, also a boy. Yes, he's younger but he's a boy so he should be brave and buck up on this one, right? Nope. Dad said it again, "If someone doesn't ride this with me we're going home today." Loving WDW the way I did and being that desperate not to leave (I was so gullible), I stepped forward and agreed to take one for the team. Dadgum boys were throwing me under the bus but that was okay as long as we could stay longer.

Dad took me by the hand & on we walked into the que. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was freakin' terrified. I clung to my daddy's hand like it was the Staff of Life. When we got to the part of the que building that overlooked the ride itself and I saw a train go zooming around a turn I started to cry. Dad kept trying to reassure me it was safe and I was gonna love it. The people around us in line who had already been on the ride would smile and explain how much fun it was when they rode it. Dad would say things like, "See? They rode it, they're just fine, and they wanted to ride it again because it was so much fun. You get to do this and the boys are missing out." I wasn't buying it. The tears kept coming but I wasn't loud or hysterical like I've seen kids get sometimes. I just held my daddy's hand and cried quietly as we walked towards what I had no doubt would be certain death. When we passed the water fountains he'd help me get a drink to cool down in his constant quest to get me to not cry. I remember thinking, "Why drink water? I'll be dead soon anyway." We got to the load platform and the CM directing guests to which row showed concern. She asked me if I was okay to which I could only nod. I wasn't backing out. I didn't want to go home. I'd rather die then leave which is what I thought I was going to do. Yeah, then I'd show those wimpy boys. I'd be dead and it would be their fault. They'd be sorry they made me have to do this. I hoped they felt guilty and were miserable for the rest of their stinkin' lives.

Our train came and I sat down in the seat next to my dad. He pulled the lap bar down over our laps. I remember looking back at the guests now lining up in the place I just stood. Goodbye smiling people. Don't be too sad. I might be dead in a few minutes but at least I didn't have to go home. The logic of a 6 year old is a very complicated thing. :lol:

The ride started rolling forward. I heard cheering and clapping. How sick were these people??? It was dark. OMG! Then we started up the lift hill. Think about how loud that is and loud noises were a source of terror for me. Yeah. I was really sobbing. Dad had his arm around me and was trying to tell me to look at the light ahead where all the fun was about to start. Yeah. Go towards the light. That sounded familiar. That must be where death was. Oh well. At least I was going to die next to my daddy. We crested the hill and I looked out. That's when the absolute panic hit. About the time the train turned loose of the chain and shoved forward I shut my eyes as tight as I could, wrapped my little arms around that lap bar, and gave into the panic screaming and sobbing hysterically. I remember Dad holding onto me and laughing as he enjoyed the ride but I was just there clinging to my very life out of my mind screaming and screaming and screaming. With each motion of the train...the turns, the ups, the downs...each movement felt like it would be my last. We arrived at the 2nd lift chain which, again, was so loud. I was sobbing hysterically...snot going everywhere. Dad kept saying over and over, "Stoppit. You're safe! Open your eyes, Kelly! Look around! It will be better if you open your eyes and you see where you're going..." He was holding me close to him even with my little arms wrapped solid around that lap bar. I guess we were towards the top of the 2nd lift when I had the courage to crack my eyes and look up at him. As soon as I did the train broke loose from the chain and the motion started again. Sweet Jesus. Why was I not dead YET?!?! This must be it. I resumed my previous position, eyes clenched shut as tight as I could get them and screaming like mad. I didn't think it would ever stop. At some point close to the end I remember thinking clearly that I must already be dead but I wasn't good enough to go to heaven. Eventually, mercifully, the train slowed. Cool mist. I looked up at Dad. "It's over, Kelly." I let go of the lap bar slowly. We were turning back into the station. I was still sobbing uncontrollably. People were looking at me, some smiling, some laughing, some whispering to each other or shaking their heads, and some frowning towards Dad. When I stepped off that train-from-hell I was soaked in sweat, tears, and snot. I was shaking. I didn't think I could walk. The sobs had slowed to just crying with those sporadic body-wracking after-sobs/sniffles. Someone, I have no idea who, I think it might have been one of those guests from the line that told me I'd love it, asked me if I liked it. I just shook my head. I couldn't talk. Dad had my hand and was trying to walk me towards the exit. I couldn't do it. He scooped me up and hugged me close. He promised to never ever make me ride something I didn't want to ride again and apologized over and over. I just clung to him and cried so thankful it was over.

You shoulda seen the boys' faces when they saw me. They were like --->:eek:! :lol: I didn't care. I was just grateful to see the light of day again. My aunt took me to the bathroom and washed my face with cool water. Dad got me something cold to drink. And, no, we didn't have to go home that day. :lol:

For the next nearly 6 years I would not consider riding anything that looked even remotely thrill-ish. Dad and eventually Dad & his new wife would take my brother & me to places like Six Flags Over Georgia, Busch Gardens Old Country, or Kings Dominion. The adults in our group would take turns riding the thrill rides with my brother. Various cousins would be sent with him so he could have that experience. I'd always sit by the exit with whoever couldn't ride and sip a soda. Everyone would ask me why I wouldn't even try riding. No-stinkin'-way! I'd tell them my BTMRR tale and I'd always get some laughs. Dad would change the subject. He'd hug me and tell me he was sorry when he could steal an alone moment with me. I didn't mean to make him feel bad. I just couldn't fathom willingly doing anything like that again.

My story has a happy-Disney-ending, too! Bear with me.

When I was 11 or so we were living in the Orlando area with my mom, her husband, and our 3 step-siblings. One year the parental units got a surprise-big tax refund and decided the best use of the chunk o'money would be to buy the family Disney's 3-Season-Salute passes (the FL resident seasonal passes of the time that allowed admission to the ~~then~~ 2 parks for the 3 slowest months of the year). The whole family would go ride BTMRR together while I sat near the exit by myself never willing to even consider riding that death-machine again. No-way-Jose!!! Sometimes they'd ride it again, sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row because it was always a walk-on when we were there. I'd just sit patiently by myself and people-watch or gaze at the birds or something. Anything was better than riding that horrible thing.

Even though we were locals and Disney souvenirs were mostly joke-fodder, for some reason I got it in my head that I wanted a Mickey Ears hat. Having 5 kids in the family souvenirs and extras like that were not possible. One Friday evening we were all at home sitting at the table having dinner when the topic of what it would take for me to ride BTMRR with everyone came up. My brother's were laughing saying they didn't think there was anything that could get me to ride it, not even if Mom & Dad PAID me. My younger sister said, "If they paid her I know what she'd buy: a purple Mickey ears hat!" Then everyone started laughing about the souvenir thing and the subject of me riding The Beast was dropped.

The next morning everyone got up bright & early to get ready for a day of Disney. On the ride out to Disney (took about 45 minutes) the parents made me the offer: if I would ride BTMRR with the family just one time they would buy me my Mickey ears hat. I thought about it a while. My sibs were all talking me up on it. This was a pretty unprecedented thing in our family. We couldn't afford extras like that (because if you buy for 1 you have to buy for all) so this was pretty major. I wanted those ears soooooo bad. The more I thought about the ears and pictured them and thought about wearing them...**sigh**...decisions, decisions! I spent some time reasoning with myself: in all those days of sitting it out I never saw anyone be carried out in a body-bag. 99% of everyone walking out was smiling or laughing. Disney didn't make rides that would kill people. Even if it was as awful as I remembered it would be over in about 3 minutes which was a very short time to sacrifice for such a treasure. I asked my younger step-sister what she thought. I whispered my reasoning to her. She said she thought I was nuts not to riding it anyway but if Mom & Dad were going to buy me something like that I'd be stupid not to do it. She promised to ride with me and hold my hand. So, I agreed to the deal.

When we arrived at the park we made a beeline to BTMRR. I was so stinkin' scared. I kept thinking about my Mickey ears hat and how amazing and special it would be to wear such a crown of glory. I had to do it. We walked into the que, my sibs were all bouncing around with excitement. My heart was beating so hard I thought I was gonna die of a heart attack before I ever saw the actual train. LOL! Tasha, my sis, was holding my hand. I was trying not to cry because I knew that would make my step-dad mad at me and I didn't want him to change his mind about the ears. At some point I started asking my mom if the seats were big enough that we could sit 3 together: Mom, Tasha, and me with me in the middle. Mom said she thought we could fit considering me and Tasha had skinny little behinds. That was a relief! If I was in the middle it'd be harder for me to be thrown out the side of the train. Better one of them than me. I was all about survival here. :lookaroun We walked straight thru the maze of switchbacks and decended to the load platforms. My step-dad said hello to the loading CM girl who knew everyone's names and seemed to be a long-lost friend. Wow. I guess the family had been on the ride a few times. LOL! She saw me and got excited, "Is this the kid who won't ride?! Oh, you're gonna loooove it!!!!" Yeah. Right. I'd heard that one before. I just smiled a sheepish little grin. I couldn't think about the insane woman Disney had obviously messed up and hired. I had to survive this train ride thru hell. Tasha insisted we sit in the front row because she said it was slower. Slower is good. Yes. Front row, please? We were directed to the front row. I stood there waiting for our train, my heart racking in my chest and shaking like mad.

Our train arrived and we squished into the seat: Tasha, me, then Mom. Mom pulled the lap bar down. I felt sick. I just kept telling myself I was not gonna die, Disney didn't want to kill me. The train started rolling and I was in the dark again. Hmmm. Not a big deal. We started up the lift hill. All those loud clicking noises from the chain, the screeching bats, and roar of falling water ahead were deafening but those little pools of water down below looked neat...I'd like to go stick my feet in the water. Tasha was holding my hand tight talking to me. I couldn't hear what she was saying but she was smiling. We crested the hill and I looked out. I was determined not to close my eyes. Everyone said it would be better if I looked where we were going. I grabbed the lap bar in front of me tight and held my breath. Here we go...and the train broke free of the chain. We glided forward as our speed increased. Around a curve a we sailed. I could breathe! I felt like I was flying! It was amazing! I broke into a huge smile and yelled, "Cooooooool...." My sister started squealing and threw both hands straight up in the air. I started laughing and squealing right along with her, let go of the lap bar, and threw my hands up, too. I was soaring!!!! We got to the 2nd lift hill and I was shaking even more than I was before but this time with excitement and happiness. My mom was pointing things out to me and I looked all around trying to see everything all at once, laughing and saying over and over, "This is so cool! I love this!" We couldn't get to the top of the 2nd lift hill fast enough. I wanted more of this! We started soaring again and again my sister & I threw our hands in the air and cheered and laughed. I never wanted that feeling to end!

When the train returned to the station and stopped that brilliant CM lady on the load platform leaned over to ask me how I liked my ride. "The coolest EVER!!!!!!" was all I could think or say. The rest of the family came running up behind us as we entered the exit from the platform to see what I thought. Everyone was so excited that I loved it so much. We ran back around and rode it again. Then the parents sat down on a bench while the rest of us kid ran around for a 3rd and 4th ride. I would've been happy to ride this ride all day long over and over. It was such an amazing day for me, one I'll never ever forget. I faced down the Death Train and conquered The Beast. All those rides I sat out on for all those many years were now possible. I felt like a magical door had been thrown open for me. It was amazing. It just couldn't get any better than that. Oh! But it could! I still had my reward to collect!

After the 4th run on BTMRR the parents wanted to go do something else so they called us so we wouldn't run around to the entrance again. We were walking away when I remembered my Mickey ears hat. I was so excited! "When can we go get my ears???", I asked. My step-dad looked at me and said, "But you liked it." I wasn't about to let the parents get away with that one. I wanted my ears. "That wasn't what you said. You said if I ride it you'll buy my purple ears." I was about to cry. Would they really deny me my ears just because I liked the ride????

We walked straight to the hat shop in Frontierland and I got my handsome reward: 1 purple Mickey ears hat just for me!

Back in those days we went to the MK and Epcot Center so much that pictures weren't a big priority. For some reason my mom had brought her camera that day and I'm thrilled to be able to say that I actually have a single picture of me on the very day that I conquered BTMRR. I know with 100% certainty that this was the actual day because after this day I was never allowed to bring my Mickey ears hat with me to the parks. My brothers fussed too much that they were embarrassed to be seen with someone wearing such. Pictured here is obviously my mother with: (from left to right) 11 yro me, 8 yro step-sister Tasha, 12 yro step-brother Chris, and 13 yro brother Jerry (username 'obrienIII' here on WDWMagic). My step-dad took the picture.

IMG.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~circa October 1985~~~~~~~~~~

On this day I also conquered Space Mountain which was an instant new favorite. In the months and years to come I had many coasters to conquer, each one easier and easier as I retrained my brain to not fear thrill rides. Soooo, BTMRR ended up being the scariest ride ever for me but then it also became the one that opened up the door to years and years of fantastic thrills that I loved far more than I ever feared.
:wave:

At least you were a kid when you rode and was scared. I was 23. I am not one to ride roller coasters. I was on vacation with my brother, his wife and child, my husband and another child (our niece). I was sitting between my husband and niece. My brother his wife and child were in back of us. Right after the first big hill. I disappeared. I ended up almost on the floor of the coaster with my chin resting on the lap bar. I actually scare my brother as he said one minute you saw 3 people the next there were only 2. LOL

LALALand

Mine was Countdown to Extinction cause it reminded me a whole lot of the movie Aliens. I hear that they have made it less scary in the last few years though, and now call it Dinosaur.

fractal

Gotta agree with that.

Summit Plummet is the only ride I almost chickened out of right before I was going to go on.

Next for me was Alien Encounter - being pinned down in the dark with that thing (and my imagination) running wild was terrifying.

Then Dinosaur - was not expecting it to be as scary as it was. Great fun.

3IAlienKid

posted by Did Knee
...the scariest thing I have ever done at WDW is Summit Plummit at Blizzard Beach. I remember thinking that if I pushed away from the slide just a little, I could go flipping forward and fall to my death...
I could not agree more. 68 degree angle is not a slide, it is a free fall with a slight curve to help ease you into a stop. There is no ride vehicle, no seat, no doors, no roof, no floor, no seat belt. Just you. Falling. 60 mph. I went on it a second time to prove to myself I wasn't a wimp, but the second time was no better. Somehow what made it worse is that you have to voluntarily start your descent, there's no cast member pushing a button on a console to make you go forward, you control when you go, and that seemed to give me more butterflies.

LALALand

I could not agree more. 68 degree angle is not a slide, it is a free fall with a slight curve to help ease you into a stop. There is no ride vehicle, no seat, no doors, no roof, no floor, no seat belt. Just you. Falling. 60 mph. I went on it a second time to prove to myself I wasn't a wimp, but the second time was no better. Somehow what made it worse is that you have to voluntarily start your descent, there's no cast member pushing a button on a console to make you go forward, you control when you go, and that seemed to give me more butterflies.

Yeah, those slides are pretty crazy! I remember a water park in NJ that was called Action Park. The whole park was one big liability machine. It was FUN, but every time I went I left with bruises and scrapes.

Luckily, BB is more tame that that place was, but the Summit slide is definitely a butterfly maker!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom