Which park is better?

hibbsofep

Original Poster
DH and 9yr. old son and I are going to be in Orlando in 3 weeks. We've been to Disney many times. Have never been to Universal and don't know much about it. Would son like Universal or Islands of Adventure better? Is it possible to do both in one day and still see everyting, or should we concentrate on 1 park? He likes most roller coasters but still a bit freaked by EE and RR at Disney and I've read that Universal's are more intense than most Disney coasters. Is that true for both parks?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Islands of Adventure is almost all roller costers. Universal has a few roller costers and some tame stuff as well.

Actually that's incorrect. IOA has only 3 rollercoasters, so not sure where you're getting your information from. Universal has one rollercoaster, the Mummy, plus a kiddie coaster.

Most of the attractions at IOA are varied, but a majority of them have some thrill aspect, some water rides, plus the BEST dark ride EVER CREATED in Spiderman. There's also a few shows and lots of kids rides/activities to do.

I would get a plan together and visit both parks, it's not much more expensive for a 2-park pass and they're so close it only takes about 5 mins to walk between them.

tdonald

Actually that's incorrect. IOA has only 3 rollercoasters, so not sure where you're getting your information from. Universal has one rollercoaster, the Mummy, plus a kiddie coaster.

Most of the attractions at IOA are varied, but a majority of them have some thrill aspect, some water rides, plus the BEST dark ride EVER CREATED in Spiderman. There's also a few shows and lots of kids rides/activities to do.

I would get a plan together and visit both parks, it's not much more expensive for a 2-park pass and they're so close it only takes about 5 mins to walk between them.

Yes, that's all true. For a 9 year old boy, both park probably have about the same number of attractions for him. If I were you, I would go to Universal's website and look at each parks attractions. Whatever park has more interesting things for him, go there. If you're still not sure, post your thoughts here again.I will be happy to answer any questions.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Of the two, IOA is probably the better park. USF used to be a great park but in my opinion has been neglected over the last few years

disneydiva72

I have 2 boys, 8 years old and 11 years old...they both thought Islands Of Adventure was the coolest park they have been to. They loved the restaurants because the themes are really fun and they loved walking around in awe, they said it was like being in a fantasy world. They thought Universal was a little plain.

tigfan

Islands of Adventure is almost all roller costers. Universal has a few roller costers and some tame stuff as well.

Islands of Adventure is "almost all roller coasters"???? Universal has "a few" roller coasters??? Have you ever even been to these parks?? :hammer:

IOA has 4 roller coasters total (that's if you count Dueling Dragons as 2 separate coasters). 1 of which is a kids' coaster. Universal has 2 coasters (the Mummy and a kiddie coaster).

Both have attractions that would likely appeal to a 9-year-old boy, but between the two, I'd say IOA has more. For one thing, the entire Seuss Landing would probably be something he'd love. There is a great dark-ride-style attraction there which is based on Cat-In-The-Hat. It is a couple notches above the typical Disney dark ride. The Jurassic Park area has a lot of fun, interactive stuff that would appeal to a 9-year-old. Also, the super hero area and the Toon Lagoon area are great. My recommendation would be for IOA wholeheartedly (and don't listen to someone telling you that it is "almost all roller coasters". That person has clearly never been there.)

krankenstein

Both parks have a lot to offer. I would suggest getting the park hopper if possible because Universal and IOA are a VERY short walk apart which makes park hopping a lot easier than at Disney.

If you have to chose only 1, I would go to IOA. IOA has to be the best themed park I have ever been to. DAK is the only U.S. Disney park that comes close to it in my opinion. If your son rides Splash Mountain, he can ride most of the water rides at IOA. The drops are not much more intense. Now, the coasters are pretty intense. If he is afraid of EE than The Hulk and DD would probably terrify him. That said, they are AWESOME coasters. The Hulk is my all time favorite coaster.

Universal is a great facility! Don't let the Disney zealots scare you away!! :)

DisneyFlea

Definitely IOA for the reasons said above. The park really is a THEME park - the presentation of the place is mind boggling. IMO, there are plenty of attractions that would keep your son happy... he'd have a much more enjoyable time there than at Universal.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Of the two, IOA is probably the better park. USF used to be a great park but in my opinion has been neglected over the last few years

Huh? USF has actually had nearly ALL of the new attractions the past few years, MIB, Shrek, The Mummy, The Simpsons, Fear Factor, Disaster (refurb)...how is it neglected?

disneydiva72

Definitely IOA for the reasons said above. The park really is a THEME park - the presentation of the place is mind boggling. IMO, there are plenty of attractions that would keep your son happy... he'd have a much more enjoyable time there than at Universal.

I agree 100%!!

krankenstein

I, too, would like to know if both parks can be done in one day (at the end of July). Just trying to decide on what type of ticket to purchase.

That is very hard to say. It all depends on crowds, the time of year you want to go, if you want to see everything and if you plan on watching all the shows.

If you chose to hit just the major attractions and thats it, than yeah you could probably do both parks in one day. If you want to see and do everything you would need more than 1 day. Also, remember you can always buy Express Pass which will guarantee you one ride on the major attractions at the parks.

Lastly, I think the biggest factor is you and your group. If you are the type that likes to take your time in the parks you will probably feel very rushed trying to do Uni/IOA in 1 day. That is going to hurt your experience at Uni/IOA. If you typically rush around from attraction to attraction, trying to see as much as possible in 1 day, you will be fine trying to do both in 1 day

All that said, I always suggest 2 days for Uni and IOA. It gives you plenty of time to see and do everything...and ride The Hulk and The Mummy about 10 times! :D

EPCOT.nut

I, too, would like to know if both parks can be done in one day (at the end of July). Just trying to decide on what type of ticket to purchase.

I did both parks in one day Labor Day 2007. The crowds were pretty mild (20 minute wait for Spider Man, 10 minute wait for The Mummy) But we didn't do any of the coasters like Hulk and DD. It was also really muggy and I was slowed down by my asthma...:(...I don't think you can see absolutely everything in one day but we did enough to where I was happy with the day.

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member

I am also going at the end of July. I got our tickets for £57 each for 2days(which gives you the 3rd day FREE)!

On top of that I have paid for express pass plus for both parks same day. We are doing IoA in the morning, and Universal in the evening - we have queue skip on MAJOR rides for both parks.

If I were you, I would do one park one day, one park the next day UNLESS you want to 'beast it' .... :D

ChrisFL

Premium Member
These 2 parks are not like the way Disney builds parks like DHS and AK, they are actually full day experiences each, with a lot of quality attractions.

It is possible to see both parks in one day, but you'd be missing a lot of stuff

tigfan

These 2 parks are not like the way Disney builds parks like DHS and AK, they are actually full day experiences each, with a lot of quality attractions.

It is possible to see both parks in one day, but you'd be missing a lot of stuff

Couldn't have said it better myself! Using the logic many people have described here, it would be just as possible to see any two Disney parks in one day as it would be to see the Universal parks... especially if the two Disney parks in question were as close to each other as the Universal parks are. Like anything, it totally depends on how you want to see it. I have made trips to WDW where I've park hopped and seen all 4 parks by early afternoon (and that's getting to see all or most of the major attractions...and it includes driving time between the parks...and taking the time to PARK THE CAR). I think the implication that a lot of people are trying to convey is that the Universal parks "just don't have all that much to see compared to the Disney parks". But truthfully, if you do a park by park comparison, Universal and IOA each have as much as, if not more than, what the Disney parks have to see. Plus, if you're someone who is used to always doing Disney, and you've never done Universal, then all the more reason to spend more quality time at the Universal parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom